Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 12

NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
edited April 2019 in Art Studio

Welcome to the 12th installment of the product showcase thread and helpful tips/tutorials! 

The previous threads / views are shown below, let's see how we're doing. (This is a community effort.) When you show others the products, those renders get seen and you help a lot of people.  The threads SIX YEARS AGO are still being surfed. These are the increase in views from May 11, 2018 to April 18, 2019.

Thread 1   83,347   Now 85,623    (+2276 new VIEWS!)
Thread 2   67,811    Now 69,802    (+1991)
Thread 3   78,578    Now 80,909     (+2331)
Thread 4   58,508   Now 60,828    (+2320) 
Thread 5   52,482    Now 54,216     (+1734)
Thread 6   75,603    Now 81,998   (+6395)
Thread 7   54,879   Now  62,880  (+8001)
Thread 8   49,087   Now  56,300  (+7213)
Thread 9  51,435    Now 60,546  (+9111)
Thread 10   48,025   Now 56,904  (+8879)
Thread 11  52,652  as of April 18, 2019

Total views: Old: 618,581  New: 713,658     New views: 95,077  (without Thread 11, the old threads got 42,425 views in about a year)

Post edited by Novica on

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited January 2020

"I don't have to outrun him. I only have to outrun YOU!" 

My "Because I Said So!" Contests / Other Contests

October Discussion Thread  (2015)

October Entry Thread  

October Winners  

November Discussion Thread

November Entry Thread

November Winners

December 2015 Discussion Thread

December / Jan Entry Thread

December/Jan Winners  (2015/2016)

Jan / Feb 2016 Discussion Thread

Jan / Feb 2016 Entry Thread

Jan / Feb Winners  (2016)

The interactive "Not So Fast" gameplay where forum members stole products, switched products, and decided what the other players would render! 

Half A Million Views Celebration Contest

Dec 2019 / Jan 2020  OOPS! Because I Said So  Entries (Links to discussion thread and winners)

A few good links from previous threads:

*Boss Lights- I show you settings and how to get some nice portrait lights    New Link
    *XYZ Dome Orientation Lighting   I showed the lighting when I tweaked the dome   New Link
    Boo Presets for Ghost Light    I did some light setups for Kindred Arts Ghost Lights
    *If you want to back up your content, SereneNight gives you a step by step. It's in the second half of the post.
    *RGcincy is the creator of Shape Magic, a very neat program and if you want to try modeling, take a look!

*To post your images in a thread and avoid attaching them below your post, here's where you can post them!

*Some threads I started which will help you:
    ZBrush     Silo Modeling       Infinito       How To Use GenX2       Applying Material Presets (Skin) for GenX2        Material Zones ~ Geometry Tool Tutorial

Free Portrait Backgrounds 

Wanna Render? Iray Tutorial  (one of my favorites, very detailed and goes step by step on setting up an Iray rendered scene.) 

Some fun and useful threads:
    Photoshop Playtime!    Where we showed you some really neat plug-ins to get cartoon, oil, watercolor effects.

Scripts:   A one click solution to put things on your ground plane, under things, etc

The References links have to be expanded to several pages, believe it or not there is a limit to a post size, and we passed it. I had to trim down descriptions of existing links to add new ones, so I am scattering the References to several pages because they are alphabetical and I can't just stick new ones at the end. Whenever I add a new Reference, I always mention it in the thread. 

dragon outrun yu.png
    845 x 780 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited May 2019

REFERENCES

**********References / Of Interest**********

Books, Digital:     RScotJohns (Author) helped us with ebook (did a chat one evening) 

Characters:   I showcased Odelle, an older character from Rendo (that Daz rejected!):

Computer Research: What all those specifications mean, and what to look for in a computer

Expressions:  Here's some with sliders that are really fluid and usable. And Poses (scroll for both of these, numerous posts)  

Hair:  One of the funniest things showcased-  vendor's names in hair! 

HDRIs:   Fishtales  showing you some HRDI's

Free  Infinity Cove 3 sets

Mountain Valley:  Take a tour of this product as we drive around town! 

See Nath's Elegant Swan- the ACTUAL PHOTOS from the museum, and the render. This car spewed steam and pooped yogurt, and was banned from the streets due to being a nuisance. (Ya think?)  Now at HiveWire.

Special Honor: Rabbicus fun with RGcincy.  It all started with a cactus on a shelf and I said it looked like a rabbit. 

********** Programs **********

Camtasia tip

dForce  Start Here Thread

Special note: Script:  David GB's G3 To G8 Pose Fixer  To correct G3 Poses and get them to work with G8

Infinito:     Infinito Experiments:  If you have questions about Infinito, ask them here

iClone:  iClone6   (I'll have to get back to it)   Here's a nice video by Bigh and Bigh's thread on Iclone  and Reallusions Thread The Path To iClone

Livebrush Pro (FREE)    Livebrush Pro-  link, it's now free

Mixamo  How To Use  (by Firewarden)  

Motion Capture in general:  Motion Capture products/ discussion linked from the Octane FaceShift question

Pattern Cooler (.com) for free seamless tiles

Senosoft:  Convert .rsr file types to pngs (P3DO Explorer)  

ShapeMagic 2    ShapeMagic 2  By our very own RGcincy

Silo:    Silo Modeling

Zbrush For Beginners: Zbrush for Beginners

Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2020

********** TIPS   A-H **********

TIP: 360 degree Renders (RGcincy)

TIP: Adria    How to do makeup, and see "Ears" for how to get rid of the fantasy ears. (Barbult) 

Tip: Bloom Filter- Settings

Tip: Camera Lens  How To Distort  (Fishtales)  

Tip: Categories / Products Options Missing From Content Library  If you don't have these showing up at all, here's how to fix it. 

Tip: Characters- Where To Load From     Loading Characters- does it matter if you load it from icons, the Genesis figure + Character List, or the Figure (Aiko 7, Girl 7, etc) + the Character List? YES IT DOES.

Tip: Charlotte Hair Tweaks- Turn fluffy into sleek and modern!  

Tip: Crashing / Clear Cache  (Note: It will also show you where your temporary files are, slightly above that. Go to that folder and remove those also.)   

Tip:  Cursor- Turn Off Yellow Highlighting  Default has it on, here's how to turn it off!  EDIT: Here's how, it isn't explained in great detail in that post. Go up to top left in studio to Window>Draw Settings>Editor Tab>All>then Highlight Style will show up and you select Bounding Box Only. 

Tip: Custom Categories for Sets  Here's some suggestions and additions    

Tip: DA Big Ocean   How To Use     

Tip: Delete Items in Scene: Grouped items giving you fits? How to delete those polygons! 

Tip: Depth Canvas   Adding Atmosphere (Such as a smoky room) (Tutorial by Chris-2599934)  

Tip:  dForce settings guide  

Tip:  DIM download problems? Try this.  This works too.  (when products will NOT install and stay in the "to be installed")

Tip:  DIM downloading product to use with products from other sites

TipDIM Ready To Download nothing there- If you've checked and all paths are correct, it could be Google Chrome corruption or Chrome updates!  Reinstall Chrome / updates and see if it shows up. 

Tip: Dreamland Models in DS  Learn how to work with Dreamland Models (Poser) in DS

Tip: Doors and windows that open, flat roof to add, pane of glass, good kit bashing items

Tip: Dome Orientation Results  My experiments/settings for rotating the dome by changing the XYZ Dome Orientation. All settings given/ shown.

Tip: Ears:  How To Remove Fantasy Ears  Characters with fantasy ears may have them "built in." Here's how to dial them out. (Barbult) 

Tip: FaceGen  Tweaks   

Tip: Fern Lake Instances and Water    Instances in Fern Lake and Through The Woods And clearer water tip for it. My example.

Tip: Finding products in these threads, using Google   

Tip: Finding Morphs/Products in a Scene  Script    

Tip:  Focal Length

Tip: Furries:  How To Find Files and Pose (Llynara)  And Capsces posted this for a few tips.

Tip: Gemology Shaders for Iray: Settings for best results, by vendor  

Tip: Generation Tools: List of products which help you cross generations

Tip: GenX2    My tutorial (and the post after that tells you how to do the materials)

Tip: Greek Houses: Fixing the water, landscape, and stone edge materials. All settings provided! 

Tip: Ground:  How to soften / blend where feet interact with the HDRI background

Tip: Growing Up: Making Chest look good    

Tip: Hair: Different Settings To Increase Shine  Also here

Tip: Hair Transparency:  How to thicken hair when it's too transparent:  Go to number 2        

Tip: Hair: Using Genesis 3 Hair On Genesis 8    Easy!  (By L'Adair)  

Tip: Harpsburg Night Lights   Best way to apply them  

Tip: Hierarchial Poses   L'Adair tests what hiding things in Scene Tab does and other options. Click here.  

Tip: Hierarchial Presets for Materials- Applying Materials Only To One Item (By Aave Nainen)     

Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2019

*******TIPS   I-W  *********

Tip: Images, Gallery  How to hide them to use in threads   New Oct 22 2019 (L'Adair)

Tip: Iray Organized References  This thread links to the threads, but also categorized some of the topics within the thread so you can look things up quicker.

Tip: Iray Section Plane       TabascoJack shows you how to use the Iray Section Plane

Tip: Lighting: When you have the end of the room open, and stuck with three walls, how to get even lighting with HDRI and avoid that obvious light pouring in from one end of the room.  

Tip: Lighting: Lampshades  TobascoJack shows you how to prevent losing detail when lighting lampshades   

Tip: Madelyn Ears- How to remove those elf ears.

Tip: Manual Downloads in Product Library  How to find them ultra-quick

Tip:/Info:  Materials and Shaders:  Difference in Materials and Shaders (from Commons)   

Tip:  Mermaid Top    Family friendly suggestion.

Tip: Metallicity and Metallic Flakes  Add More Sheen to your characters    

Tip: Millenium Cat- Free Persian Head 

Tip:  Mocap Animations  FREE  Here  (Mixamo)

Tip: Multiplane Cyclorama    Use Modern Museum Lighting for realistic results!

Tip:  Nobiax Free Iray Daz Textures

Tip:  OOT Hair  Steps  

Tip: Photoshop Postwork    Postwork Photoshop Tips (Laticis) and my example

Tip: Photoshop Plugins From Thread 6:  Examples

Tip:  Portrait Lighting    Novica's XYZ Dome Orientation Quick Guide (Portrait Tweaks) 

Tip: Pose Converter (Genesis 2 to Genesis 3)  Where to find files (Scroll for discussion)

Tip: Combining Poses by locking body parts   

TIP: Poser CF and Studio CF Explained  (Richard Haseltine)   

Tip:  Postwork   The Postwork thread has a lot of good information!

Tip: Putting Prop On Top Of Prop  (Align Pane)  

Tip: Checking your available RAM  

Tip:  RDNA   How to find your purchases

Tip: Render Settings In Script Menu at top of Studio  (L'Adair) 

Tip: Rigging    How to import OBJ and rig in Daz Studio   

Tip: Rigging  Basic Rigging Preparation  then Adding Bones for Rigging 

Tip: Section Planes   How To Use  (by TabascoJack)

Tip: Signatures- how to put a banner and do a clickable link    

Tip: Skies of iRadiance  Which are for high / low altitudes? Answer

Tip: So Wet Bundle   Examples

Tip: Spectural Rendering tests for the studio    

Tip:  Spotlights: (Iray) How to Hide Them and Still Emit Light  

Tip: Studio Crashing:  Script by Taoz to save last render

Tip: SubD:   How To Add It  (Darwins Mishap)

Tip: Texturing With DestinysGarden    (DestinysGarden)  

Tip: The Briefing Room    Lighting with Iray  (V3Digitimes)

Tip:  Ultragenesis: Faces of G  has a variety of older faces.

Tip:  Weight Maps:  How To Remove or Change  (Thomas Windar)

Tip:  White Point  Changing it- Examples

Tip: Walls- Sets Which Are Easier To Use- or Not.   Sets that don't have separate walls and handy notes on a few sets

Post edited by Novica on
    edited January 2020

********** TUTORIALS**********

Tutorial:  Bus, Noggins- Converting from Bryce to Daz Studio   (RGcincy)   Here

Tutorial:  Breast Gone-  In Hexagon  (Smoothing Zev0s Grow Up product even more)  

Tutorial: Clothing, Making in Blender SickleYield's tutorial on Deviant Art.

Tutorial:  Content Package Assist   Added May 2019

Tutorial: Converting G3 and G8 Clothing by SickleYield on Deviant Art  

Tutorial: Create Categories     Using Gen2F, I showed how to Create Categories and Export to save your custom categories. (Here's WHY you may want to do that with your characters.) 

Tutorial: Custom Actions In Toolbar     How to Create Custom Actions In Toolbar

Tutorial: Customizing Morphs Using Morph Loader Pro  

Tutorial: D Former     D Former Tutorial           D Former tutorial and links 

Tutorial: Depth of Field         Flipmode provides a good depth of field tutorial for you.

Tutorial: Fisty's Shaders & Getting Rid of Gooey Lips     This one shows you Fisty's shaders. Get rid of the overly gooey lips. 

Tutorial: Fur Brushes Download and Video (Kathryn Loch)

Tutorial: Garibaldi Hair     Doing a cat with Garibaldi Hair- Tutorial

Tutorial:  GenX links on "how to use." 

Tutorial: Generation 4 Materials on Genesis 2     This one put Generation 4 materials on Genesis 2 using Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female.

Tutorial: Geometry Shells     How to do Geometry Shells  (video tutorial the3dwizard) and doing makeup for different characters

Tutorial: Hair Shaders (Slosh, his product)   explaining how to use them.

Tutorial: Iclone   Iclone videos

Tutorial: Images- How To Put Them In Forum Posts     Here's  Putting Images in Posts

Tutorial:  Instances: Using Ultrascatter 

Post edited by Novica on

***** Tutorials  Iray- S  *******

Iray Canvases- How To Do Lighting   

Iray Ghost Lights 2:  Portrait Setup in 13 Steps, All Settings Given

Tutorial: Iray Light Manager Pro  Step by step screenshots

Tutorial: Iray For Beginners- Do A Scene Step By Step     The Wanna Render? Iray tutorial walks you through Iray lighting for total newbies- including Crush Blacks, Burn Highlights, how the sliders work together and why in Tone Mapping, and Environment Intensity.

Tutorial: Iray Lighting- A Night Lantern     Doing a night time  lantern with Emissive Lighting.

Tutorial: Iray- Portrait Light Setup With Point Lights     Portrait Lights: 3 Point Lights and a Spotlight- Settings Provided

Tutorial: Iray Skydome Super Pak     The Explanation  to use   (magix101)

Tutorial: Iray Worlds Skydome   Explanation on using it    (rgcincy)

Tutorial: Maps for Iray and 3DL / Albedo Explanation       Texture Maps:  (Saba Taru)   ALBEDO explanation, and where to put the maps for Iray and 3DL

Tutorial:  Material Zones  

Tutorial: Metadata- How To Make It   Video Here (Slosh)  and Here  (3D Almanc)    

Tutorial:  Rigging and Weight Mapping- Beginners Through Advanced   

Tutorial: Rigging Static Doors So They Open  (RGcincy)  How To Rig A Prop

Tutorial: Shaders- Mec4D's PBR Shaders       Mec4D's PBR shaders: How to use

*****  Tutorials T  through W ******

Tutorial: Tears by SereneNight   

Tutorial: Teeth, Getting Realistic Shapes      Getting realistic teeth shapes was here and slight tweaks here.

Tutorial: Texturing      Texturing With DestinysGarden  is a good thread- let a pro show you how!

Tutorial: UltraScatter Advanced Instancing       UltraScatter Advanced Instancing:   RGcincy's handy notes, how-to.

Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female:  How to use the product.

Tutorial: Weight Mapping:  How To Smooth All Face Groups At Once  (By SickleYield)

Tutorial: Windows, Making Them From Planes And Cubes Realistically       Making Windows using planes and cubes, with glass panes and images!

edited April 2019

Saoirse HD (Gen8F)        Caleela Hair (Gen3/8F)        Body Chains 2 (Gen3/8F)       Ceramics for Iray
     dForce Modern Romantique Outfit (Gen3/8F)  

First, those lips are not the default. I changed a lot of things as I would like to see more lines in the lips and couldn't quite get there, even increasing bump. As usual, I added metallic flakes (weight .025  density 1.39  and color 195/183/163)

Caleela Hair looks different in various lights, and some lighting I did not care for the transparency. I did some postwork and I will show you. The first render, it looks okay. This is again using Mitchell instead of Gaussian for the filter.

As I mentioned in Thread 11, the Body Chains 2 torso chains (I used two) had ZERO pokethrough and were a breeze to use with the Modern Romantique outfit.  I love @khory  Ceramics for Iray, I did all the chains and around the beads using her great product.

Lighting is my usual- the PRO-Studio HDR Lighting System.  If you are a new user, I'd recommend you start with that product for portraits. 

Saoirse New Light.png
    835 x 1100 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • escrandallescrandall Posts: 487

Many thanks to Novica and the others who regularly post here.  You've given me a lot of ideas and the honest comments about productes are extremely useful!

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,247

Just checking in

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

That is a great image @Novica

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Already?  Time flies!  Haha I remember I was terrified to post here when I first started and you made me feel so welcome!  I can't believe its been 3 1/2 years.  These threads are truly priceless.

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,401

Yay, new thread!!!!

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,158

I love these threads :)  The first thing I do when buying an older product is check out to see if anyone has reviewed it here. 

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

Very cool on a new thread!!!! Lots of help and socializing. ;)

On the babies, I've actually placed two orders... one with the bundle; one without. I like Ella and wish more like her. Trying to decide what I'd actually use and which order to delete or to do another. I was in such a rush, I just went ahead and did it both ways and figured I straighten it out later.

edited April 2019

My first thought on the babies was Chubblies followed by Lil Monsters and Ghoulies

Post edited by Robert Freise on

So far as the baby, SereneNight  and Wonderland  and Worlds_Edge  have some renders worth taking a peek at. SereneNight even shares the settings

edited April 2019

Ugh, we have tornadoes and severe weather coming in fast. In case we lose internet, I want to get these uploaded. It's Saoirse HD  (Gen8F)  again, and this is the lighting I really didn't like the hair. So what you can do to see the various postwork-  

The first image is the default lighting from Orestes Iray HDRI Skydomes- Radiathane and the second is postwork, removing saturation so the green is dimmer.  TIP: That HDRI Skydome gives you a really nice portrait background if you were to just render it and then insert it as a backdrop.

Next you have the face, then note the postwork on the eyes to remove the lighting glare. Last, I then added hair strands, as I said, I didn't like the transparency but wanted to show it out of the box.

And note again the body chains, as I mentioned previously- there was NO POKETHROUGH. Just applied them and done.

Stay safe Mississippi, more tornadoes spinning up now in the upper part of the state. It's also now right at Mobile, AL but no tornadoes yet.

Click to enlarge, then click those back and forth to see the changes. 

Saoirse Modern Romantique BodyChain.png
    911 x 1200 - 2M
    Saoirse Modern Romantique BodyChainADJUST.jpg
    911 x 1200 - 1M
    Saoirse Modern Romantique BodyChain2.png
    911 x 1200 - 2M
    Saoirse Modern Romantique BodyChain2AdjEYES.jpg
    911 x 1200 - 973K
    Saoirse Modern Romantique BodyChain2AdjEYESHAIR.jpg
    911 x 1200 - 968K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited April 2019

I want to show off some items I recently purchased in the sales. 

Gallery link

Trinity Atrium Fallen Iray Bike sky_002 PS.jpg
    1538 x 2000 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • Eagle99Eagle99 Posts: 159
    barbult said:

That's why it says "and Poses" ... wink   Thanks for picking it up.

As a buyer I also don't like products that much that are split into product and a texture pack.

Maybe not the best choice as a seller, don't know. But I hope it pays off at the end and there are people that think the same.

Kind regards, Eagle99

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147

wow new thread - you all are cooking

Happy Easter

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Eagle99 said:
    barbult said:

As a buyer I also don't like products that much that are split into product and a texture pack.

Maybe not the best choice as a seller, don't know. But I hope it pays off at the end and there are people that think the same.

Kind regards, Eagle99

I am far more likely to buy something like this to be honest.  If I'm waffling about buying something the extras like you included would definitely push me to the buy button.

Eagle99 said:
    barbult said:

Kind regards, Eagle99

I have the City Bike product, too. It is also great. I was thrilled to discover the Road Bike when scanning through recent sale items. I couldn't understand why I didn't already have it. It didn't even look familiar. I looked up the readme, and I see it was released while I was traveling in Alaska last summer. I didn't have internet most of that time, so I guess I completely missed it. I greatly appreciate products that come complete with materials and poses. It makes them so much more useful. When I saw everything that comes with the bike, I bought it immediately. It was a breeze to set up in my scene with G8M. The included bike morphs let me adjust bike parts to fit the G8M morph and clothing I used. Road Bike and Poses for Genesis 3 and 8 is a 5 star product (if we had a product rating system).

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552

Stunning image barbult. I really like the way the outfit looks and how well it all goes together!

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Eagle99 said:
    barbult said:

Kind regards, Eagle99

Since buying the first bicycle, I am inclined to buy anything from you when it's released, or wishlist it if I haven't the funds.There are only a handful of PAs whose releases are an instant "must have" for me. Trust me, you are in very good company.
    yes

Eagle99 said:
    barbult said:

Kind regards, Eagle99

I have all but two of your products and those (Bass Guitar and Dolly heels) are wishlisted

• escrandallescrandall Posts: 487
    Eagle99 said:
    barbult said:

Kind regards, Eagle99

The quality of your work is excellent and the value is high.   The bike poses are great ... they're very hard to get right and you give good starting points for variations. Please keep going-)  

I've love to see a family cargo bike like you see everywhere in the Netherlands and Denmark ... 

Eagle99 said:
    barbult said:

I've love to see a family cargo bike like you see everywhere in the Netherlands and Denmark ... 

+1 yes

edited April 2019

Another product I recently purchased is Bokeh Studio HDR. It has a lot of different bokeh HDRI render presets, some additional lights, and some cameras. So far, I've had pleasing results with it. I did find one bug, though (one brightness preset changes the render aspect ratio and size) and I submitted a help request about that.

G8M George Lee Others Bokeh Studio HDR_002.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 1M
    Sweater Vest Dynamic Bokeh Studio HDR.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    G8F Gail Greer Hair Nimble Elf Top Bokeh Studio HDR.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited April 2019

@barbult   I love it when I see something and immediately say, "Gosh, great product!" and then the next second, "Uh...oh yeah, I have that."  I don't think I've ever used the Bokeh Studio, thanks for pointing it out. And the bike and pose look really, really good :) 

BTW folks, again it's a great time to put four of the new products in your cart. (or more.) 

Post edited by Novica on
This discussion has been closed.