Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 12

Comments

• Fishtales said:

Bought Medieval Fantasy Bedroom and opened it to find two scene files, day and night, unfortunately the PA thought to leave all the settings set for the render. I do not want my settings changed by someone else as I always start with the same default settings and tweak from there. I would have liked to see a scene file that only loaded the props and left the render settings up to me.

File>Merge, or right-click on the thumbnail and select Merge, will let you bring the scene in without changing the current render settings.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

That isn't my point @RichardHaseltine, there should be a scene file that only loads the product without touching anything else the user has set up. I shouldn't have to think 'Oh I need to merge this instead of just clicking on it' when I see a scene thumbnail. I have my render settings saved and in the Script menu and they are easy enough to apply but that shouldn't need to be another step. It also happens with other products, HDRIs I think are one example they should just apply the image and leave everything else alone, where I have to reset my render settings before using them. It is a pain in the **** and annoying but not insurmountable.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

Just started using Sakura 8 and products in her pro bundle, and in your part 10 thread there was mention of the sleeves on the bomber jacket in Kawaii Infused Outfit for G8F. I can't get the cuffs to wrap around Sakura's wrists, and there are no cuff adjustment morps that I could find that will help. I even tried the "thinner wrist" morph for Sakura 8, but it didn't help. The pose is from the Capsces Poses and Expressions for Sakura 8 and Aiko 8 set. Any suggestions?

SakuraKawaiiOutfit.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 867K
  • gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948
    Fishtales said:

That isn't my point @RichardHaseltine, there should be a scene file that only loads the product without touching anything else the user has set up. I shouldn't have to think 'Oh I need to merge this instead of just clicking on it' when I see a scene thumbnail. I have my render settings saved and in the Script menu and they are easy enough to apply but that shouldn't need to be another step. It also happens with other products, HDRIs I think are one example they should just apply the image and leave everything else alone, where I have to reset my render settings before using them. It is a pain in the **** and annoying but not insurmountable.

You have your render settings saved in the script menu?  How does one do that?  I use merge scene.  I even created a scene with just specific light settings to merge into other scenes. frown

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited July 2019
    gitika1 said:
    Fishtales said:

You have your render settings saved in the script menu?  How does one do that?  I use merge scene.  I even created a scene with just specific light settings to merge into other scenes. frown

@gitika1, It's easy.

1. Once you have your Render Settings to your liking, use the main menu to Save As > Render Settings Preset…
    2. Save your new preset in a convenient location in My Library.
    3. Open the Content Library and locate your new preset.
    4. Right-Click on the preset.
    5. Select Create Custom Action from the bottom of the popup menu
    6. Older versions of DS will tell you it created the custom action. You can find the preset listed under the main menu Scripts, as the last item.

Newer versions of DS will allow you to save the custom action in more than one place, but I don't have The Beast fired up to run through it and be specific here. Sorry.

Post edited by L'Adair on

Save them as a preset, go to the preset folder where you save them and right click on the thumbnail. Choose add to script menu at the bottom, I think I'm not on Studio just now, and it will be added. I do that with a few things I use regularly.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited July 2019
    dawnblade said:

Just started using Sakura 8 and products in her pro bundle, and in your part 10 thread there was mention of the sleeves on the bomber jacket in Kawaii Infused Outfit for G8F. I can't get the cuffs to wrap around Sakura's wrists, and there are no cuff adjustment morps that I could find that will help. I even tried the "thinner wrist" morph for Sakura 8, but it didn't help. The pose is from the Capsces Poses and Expressions for Sakura 8 and Aiko 8 set. Any suggestions?

Sorry, just getting online.  Did you figure it out, or do you want me to check that for you? Did you go into SCENE as well with the outfit and see if it can be scaled that way? 

We've had a LOT of severe thunderstorms rolling through today, and .....drumroll.....I'm buying a SECOND Kakariki!  So Motuihe (Moe- too-ee   aka "Tuey") will have Tokelau (Toe - kah-low  aka "Toca")  as a buddy. The nice things about Kaks is they don't bond to the exclusion of not loving being with their owner. So I'll have Tuey and Toca!   Tokelau is another Maori name for another New Zealand island. I named him that because he lit up when he saw me, and Tokelau is the first "nation" to go 100% solar powered!  (Yep, called a nation, but it's a tiny island! So not as impressive as it sounds.) 

It was SO adorable, Matuihe wasn't in the large aquarium, we kept checking leg bands, then one worker who had been helping another customer said she remembered that one had been taken out due to having food stuck inside his mouth. Meanwhile, I had picked up Tokelau THREE times saying how cute he was, just pushing everyone else out of the way to get to our hands and wanting to be picked up. He, too, is very large for a Kakariki, and the same size as Motuihe, so they will be great buddies.  I'm buying him tomorrow, and like Motuihe, he won't be coming home until end of August.

Post edited by Novica on

@ladair   I added it to the TIPS on the first page. Anyone wanting to find it later it is under the R's  -  Render Settings Adding it to the Script Menu. 

• RakudaRakuda Posts: 931
    edited July 2019
    Novica said:
    dawnblade said:

We've had a LOT of severe thunderstorms rolling through today, and .....drumroll.....I'm buying a SECOND Kakariki!  So Motuihe (Moe- too-ee   aka "Tuey") will have Tokelau (Toe - kah-low  aka "Toca")  as a buddy. The nice things about Kaks is they don't bond to the exclusion of not loving being with their owner. So I'll have Tuey and Toca!   Tokelau is another Maori name for another New Zealand island. I named him that because he lit up when he saw me, and Tokelau is the first "nation" to go 100% solar powered!  (Yep, called a nation, but it's a tiny island! So not as impressive as it sounds.)

I was trying to figure it what was going on here, I hadn’t heard words like that since I lived on the US west coast thirty years ago and knew some Tongans, I knew it was some kind of Pacific Islander talk or something. Now I get that they are your birds X-D

they must be very cute those little green birds. :)

Post edited by Rakuda on
    edited July 2019

Here's Motuihe last Thursday, July 18th, exactly 8 weeks (2 months) old. Riley works at the bird store and is wonderful with the birds, that is her yellow Kakariki on her shoulder. It is a girl, and will go home the beginning of August with her. You can get a good size comparison of that bird with the human. Tuey looks bigger because he is closer to the iphone camera, but he is a big boy (we are going to have him DNA sexed just to be sure it's a dude. But he has the wider head and wider beak, in addition to being bigger.

LOL @Rakuda   I can see where it would be confusing. BTW, how did you come by your name? That sounds exotic as well. yes

July18 8wksA.jpg
    480 x 640 - 297K
    July18 8wksB.jpg
    640 x 480 - 67K
    July18 8wksC.jpg
    574 x 480 - 167K
    July18 8wksD.jpg
    927 x 780 - 403K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,260

Good looking bird

Fishtales said:

Bought Medieval Fantasy Bedroom and opened it to find two scene files, day and night, unfortunately the PA thought to leave all the settings set for the render. I do not want my settings changed by someone else as I always start with the same default settings and tweak from there.

Medieval Fantasy Bedroom

I really like that lighting, you did a really nice job with it. I agree about the settings being changed. There should be options to use what the PA used, which is thoughtful- but not mandatory when the product is loaded.  BTW, if you ever want a quicker render, if I have all the products you do, I'd be happy to do it on my Titan for you using your settings. I haven't ever thought about that- is everything included in a .duf or just the products' information?  Is the lighting, render settings, filter settings (like Mitchell vs Gaussian) included? 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,131
    Novica said:
    Fishtales said:

Bought Medieval Fantasy Bedroom and opened it to find two scene files, day and night, unfortunately the PA thought to leave all the settings set for the render. I do not want my settings changed by someone else as I always start with the same default settings and tweak from there.

Medieval Fantasy Bedroom

I really like that lighting, you did a really nice job with it. I agree about the settings being changed. There should be options to use what the PA used, which is thoughtful- but not mandatory when the product is loaded.  BTW, if you ever want a quicker render, if I have all the products you do, I'd be happy to do it on my Titan for you using your settings. I haven't ever thought about that- is everything included in a .duf or just the products' information?  Is the lighting, render settings, filter settings (like Mitchell vs Gaussian) included? 

In Daz Studio preferences (F2 key) you can change whether Render Settings are saved with scene files and whether Render Settings are ignored when saved scenes are reloaded. 

Novica said:
    dawnblade said:

Sorry, just getting online.  Did you figure it out, or do you want me to check that for you? Did you go into SCENE as well with the outfit and see if it can be scaled that way? 

It was SO adorable, Matuihe wasn't in the large aquarium, we kept checking leg bands, then one worker who had been helping another customer said she remembered that one had been taken out due to having food stuck inside his mouth. Meanwhile, I had picked up Tokelau THREE times saying how cute he was, just pushing everyone else out of the way to get to our hands and wanting to be picked up. He, too, is very large for a Kakariki, and the same size as Motuihe, so they will be great buddies.  I'm buying him tomorrow, and like Motuihe, he won't be coming home until end of August.

Thanks Novica. I did try scaling but that didn't help b/c it affects the entire jacket, which is one piece in the Scene tab. Cool birds!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922
    edited July 2019
    Novica said:
    dawnblade said:

Good news then for your parrots. My Indian Ringnecks, especially the green female Matey, will spend most of the daylight hours perched in and looking out the window so I am going to build them a critter proof outdoor aviary, about 8' H x 8' L x 4' W. Luckily ringnecks can live in climates as cold as the foothills of the Himalayas. My green & yellow ringnecks actually look somewhat similar to the birds in your picture without the small red & blue embellishments.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
    edited July 2019
    Novica said:

Here's Motuihe last Thursday, July 18th, exactly 8 weeks (2 months) old. Riley works at the bird store and is wonderful with the birds, that is her yellow Kakariki on her shoulder. It is a girl, and will go home the beginning of August with her. You can get a good size comparison of that bird with the human. Tuey looks bigger because he is closer to the iphone camera, but he is a big boy (we are going to have him DNA sexed just to be sure it's a dude. But he has the wider head and wider beak, in addition to being bigger.

LOL @Rakuda   I can see where it would be confusing. BTW, how did you come by your name? That sounds exotic as well. yes

@Novica Those are are beautiful birds! Look really sweet. When I was a kid in Hawaii we had some birds but came back to the mainland and have not had any since. I bet they like to chitter chatter a lot.

My name originally came from a mishearing of something Greedo said to Han Solo in the Cantina Bar, anyway, I was looking up Japanese words long ago and it stuck, plus, I like camels anyway, which is what rakuda means.

And, Novica means you’re a novice?  Which  by now is hardly true ...at least around these parts as far as this 3D stuff goes.

^__^

Post edited by Rakuda on
    Novica said:
    Fishtales said:

Medieval Fantasy Bedroom

I have since changed quite a bit and have the render running again to see if it is rendering faster. This one is only 66% done at 19+ hours, it would probably have went over 36, the one that is running is at 94% after 23 hour just now but it looked good after about 8 hours but I like to let them run so that I can see the difference when I make changes.

After changing a few things in the bedroom render, and turning off the panel light outside the window, which I didn't realise was there, and turning the distant light/sun back on, I let this next render run. After it had sat at 95% for a long while with nothing looking changed I stopped it.

2019-07-24 12:42:03.068 Total Rendering Time: 23 hours 26 minutes 46.97 seconds

95% done

Click on image for full size.

I fixed the cuffs on the bomber jacket! Select the jacket in the Scene tab, and change the "Sakura 8 Wrist Thinner" morph (under Actor/Arms; it may be hidden) less than zero.

SakuraKawaiiOutfitJackedFixed.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 867K
    edited July 2019

Mila HD (Gen8F)       Divinity- Athena Outfit  (Gen8F)    Julissa Hair (Gen3/8F)  (LOADS AS JEZEBEL HAIR)    Iray SurfaceWorx       Archaic Ruins           DA Forest Grove   

1st Bastion's Wilderness: Waterhole             ElianeCK  Iray Dramatic Light Vol 2

The portraits were done with the ElianeCK lights, the scene was DA Real World lights.
    Not sure if I renamed Jezebel Hair in Scene, I don't remember doing it, but I can't find it in the store or in the Product Library.  I thought I remembered it being offered with a character of the same name, but I'm only finding a Genesis 3, and NOTHING in my Product Library. Anyone recognize the hair?

TIP: If  you have grunge on people and want a word grungy (See Mila) then use a vignette on the letters.
    TIP:  DA Forest Grove and First Bastion's Waterhole go well together, I used the Waterhole as a filler background to be seen through the ruins (see the color one, it shows up better.) 

To get a sloping hillside with the Waterhole, I  used x rotate at 24%, x scale 88.6%, and y scale 114%. 
    Archaic Ruins is a PC+ item by Merlin! It's great for ruins as it has pillars, building parts, and rubble. I included this color shot so you could see it. The foreground is completely the Archaic Ruins, only the hill behind the ruins is the Waterhole. 

The Iray SurfaceWorx, as discussed previously, works well on people. I tried it on her top but it's not showing up, so I will have to figure that out at some point. On her, I went to Surfaces and selected the Skin and made sure not to select the lips. (You can, of course.) 
    Top Coat Color 54 / 43 / 29
    Top Coat Roughness  from 1.0 to 1.24 and the T.Coat Bump 3.45

Just another view:

Mila FullBWLetters.png
    619 x 872 - 977K
    Mila Full.png
    675 x 900 - 1M
    Mila Portrait SIDEFLIP.png
    675 x 900 - 342K
    Post edited by Novica on

@dawnblade   Glad you found it! I was in the middle of working on Mila last night but was going to check the jacket today. You'd think it wouldn't have to go less than zero. I take it you had to undo the parameters then? (For folks who don't know, you click the cog at the top of the slider then uncheck the parameters option) 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922
    Novica said:

Mila HD (Gen8F)       Divinity- Athena Outfit  (Gen8F)        Iray SurfaceWorx       Archaic Ruins           DA Forest Grove   

1st Bastion's Wilderness: Waterhole             ElianeCK  Iray Dramatic Light Vol 2

The portraits were done with the ElianeCK lights, the scene was DA Real World lights.
    Not sure if I renamed Jezebel Hair in Scene, I don't remember doing it, but I can't find it in the store or in the Product Library.  I thought I remembered it being offered with a character of the same name, but I'm only finding a Genesis 3, and NOTHING in my Product Library. Anyone recognize the hair?

TIP: If  you have grunge on people and want a word grungy (See Mila) then use a vignette on the letters.
    TIP:  DA Forest Grove and First Bastion's Waterhole go well together, I used the Waterhole as a filler background to be seen through the ruins (see the color one, it shows up better.) 

To get a sloping hillside with the Waterhole, I  used x rotate at 24%, x scale 88.6%, and y scale 114%. 
    Archaic Ruins is a PC+ item by Merlin! It's great for ruins as it has pillars, building parts, and rubble. I included this color shot so you could see it. The foreground is completely the Archaic Ruins, only the hill behind the ruins is the Waterhole. 

The Iray SurfaceWorx, as discussed previously, works well on people. I tried it on her top but it's not showing up, so I will have to figure that out at some point. On her, I went to Surfaces and selected the Skin and made sure not to select the lips. (You can, of course.) 
    Top Coat Color 54 / 43 / 29
    Top Coat Roughness  from 1.0 to 1.24 and the T.Coat Bump 3.45

Just another view:

Wow, I like those renders. Individually & combined.

edited July 2019

That Iray Surface works product is a cool idea, but the imperfections appear for some reason like they are strangely on the under surface of the glass. This can be seen on the promo reflection of the sunlight on the wineglass.

It isn't so apparent on a surface like  the skin where you have used it. On a surface like glass with fingerprints it would be interrupted by the smudge.

I love both the Aarchaic Ruins and the Forest Grove.

Archaic Ruins in particular looks versatile.

Post edited by Rakuda on
  • gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948
    L'Adair said:
    gitika1 said:
    Fishtales said:

@gitika1, It's easy.

1. Once you have your Render Settings to your liking, use the main menu to Save As > Render Settings Preset…
    6. Older versions of DS will tell you it created the custom action. You can find the preset listed under the main menu Scripts, as the last item.

Newer versions of DS will allow you to save the custom action in more than one place, but I don't have The Beast fired up to run through it and be specific here. Sorry.

Thank you!! I sincerely appreciate that you took the time to step it out for me. angel

I just opened the PC+ newsletter- congrats to @xmasrose for winning the PC Inspirations contest with her pool and dog (cookies) render!!!!

• nattaruknattaruk Posts: 524

The https://www.daz3d.com/julissa-hair-for-genesis-3-and-genesis-8-females from the Teen Jane release loads into a scene as Jezebel hair.

nattaruk said:

The https://www.daz3d.com/julissa-hair-for-genesis-3-and-genesis-8-females from the Teen Jane release loads into a scene as Jezebel hair.

Oooh, interesting. Thanks for that info!  Has that been noted in the forums somewhere and reported? That's quite a boo-boo.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    gitika1 said:
    L'Adair said:
    gitika1 said:
    Fishtales said:

@gitika1, It's easy.

Thank you!! I sincerely appreciate that you took the time to step it out for me. angel

You're welcome. smiley

Novica said:

@dawnblade   Glad you found it! I was in the middle of working on Mila last night but was going to check the jacket today. You'd think it wouldn't have to go less than zero. I take it you had to undo the parameters then? (For folks who don't know, you click the cog at the top of the slider then uncheck the parameters option) 

Limits are on when this morph is applied to Sakura 8 (and you must apply it first to Sakura 8 to access it on the jacket), and I set it to 100%.

Limits are off when it is applied to the jacket, and I set it at -239.71%.

• Thank you @Novica

Novica said:

I just opened the PC+ newsletter- congrats to @xmasrose for winning the PC Inspirations contest with her pool and dog (cookies) render!!!!

This discussion has been closed.