Removing weight maps from a node selection?

Hi, I am making an armor like prop and I want sections to stay rigid, but still making a single full body prop. After transfer utility some nodes don't belong to the right bone, what is the simplest way to fix this? How do I assign a node selection to the right bone, or remove all the weight maps from these nodes?

Comments

• Removing a weight map makes the part not move. The easiest way is to use the "Distribute Selected Bone Weights" option located in the Node Weight Map Brush. 

Lemme check if I can copy a tool description from the Rigging Guide I'm writing... 
    Well it kinda worked. Here's a sample from the Rigging Guide:

Distribute Selected Bone Weights – Requires an area of the mesh to be selected first. This option allows you to take a selected portion of the weight map and transfer it to another map. It can also distribute the selected weight map evenly between multiple other maps. In order to use this option, carefully perform the following steps:

1. Using geometry selection, select the area of the mesh from which you wish to extract the Weight Map Influence.
    2. In the Scene Tab - Select the bone or bones that will receive the Weight Map Influence. Remember you can hold CTRL to select multiple bones in the Scene Tab.
    3. While still holding CTRL, select the map that the Influence will be extracted from.
    4. At this moment you should have at least 2 bones selected (or more). In your Viewport you should be seeing the Weight Map Influence from which you wish to extract from.
    5. Select “Distribute Selected Bone Weights”.
    6. The weights should now be spread out to the other bones evenly.

The distribution process will take the weights from the selected area and put them on the desired bone. If you select more than one target bone, the weight will be split evenly between the bones (so each will receive its fair share).

The order of selection is important here! Be aware that the Last bone selected will be the DONOR of the weights for the other selected bones.

This process is especially useful when fixing Weight Maps created by Transfer Utility on clothing items. If a piece of the map is affecting the wrong part of the mesh, you can use this option to transfer it to the correct bone.

For example – let’s say you have a glove item. The Middle Finger for some reason moves a portion of the Ring and Index Finger. You can select the index finger mesh and use the above process to transfer it to the Index Finger bone. Afterwards select the Ring Finger mesh and transfer the map from the Middle Finger bone to the Ring Finger. This way you have accurately redistributed the weight map influences back where they belong. 

• Removing a weight map makes the part not move. The easiest way is to use the "Distribute Selected Bone Weights" option located in the Node Weight Map Brush. 

Lemme check if I can copy a tool description from the Rigging Guide I'm writing... 
    Well it kinda worked. Here's a sample from the Rigging Guide:

Distribute Selected Bone Weights – Requires an area of the mesh to be selected first. This option allows you to take a selected portion of the weight map and transfer it to another map. It can also distribute the selected weight map evenly between multiple other maps. In order to use this option, carefully perform the following steps:

1. Using geometry selection, select the area of the mesh from which you wish to extract the Weight Map Influence.
    2. In the Scene Tab - Select the bone or bones that will receive the Weight Map Influence. Remember you can hold CTRL to select multiple bones in the Scene Tab.
    3. While still holding CTRL, select the map that the Influence will be extracted from.
    4. At this moment you should have at least 2 bones selected (or more). In your Viewport you should be seeing the Weight Map Influence from which you wish to extract from.
    5. Select “Distribute Selected Bone Weights”.
    6. The weights should now be spread out to the other bones evenly.

The distribution process will take the weights from the selected area and put them on the desired bone. If you select more than one target bone, the weight will be split evenly between the bones (so each will receive its fair share).

The order of selection is important here! Be aware that the Last bone selected will be the DONOR of the weights for the other selected bones.

This process is especially useful when fixing Weight Maps created by Transfer Utility on clothing items. If a piece of the map is affecting the wrong part of the mesh, you can use this option to transfer it to the correct bone.

For example – let’s say you have a glove item. The Middle Finger for some reason moves a portion of the Ring and Index Finger. You can select the index finger mesh and use the above process to transfer it to the Index Finger bone. Afterwards select the Ring Finger mesh and transfer the map from the Middle Finger bone to the Ring Finger. This way you have accurately redistributed the weight map influences back where they belong. 

Should 3 be selecting a map (in Tool Settings) or a bone?

• A bone. Basically you hold CTRL and select in your Scene tab all bones to RECEIVE the weight map. The last selected Bone will be the DONOR of the map.

• I want to remove the influence of a bone over a selection, isn't there a way to set this selection's bone weight to 0 for all maps at once?

• When you erase the influence, the bone will not move at all. It won't move with ANY bone, outside of rotating the figure entirely.
    Are you sure you want that?

If you are sure you want to do this:
    Go to Window -> Panes (tabs) -> Tool Settings.
    Select Node Weight Map Brush.
    Select the bone in the Scene tab that you wish to clean.
    In the Tool Settings tab you will see maps for it (either General Weights or XYZ Rotation maps).
    Right click on a map and delete it.
    That removes the weight painting. 
    You wiull have to re-add the map if you wish to paint it again though.

• That's what I want to do, but only over a selection. I figured out how to paint select an area, but I don't know how to set it to 0 for a bone.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited October 2016

basically, you can "Fill selected" , . as 0% .then it remove only about  your current selected poligon weight,

then those removed weight map  will auto  transfer to the parent node with auto normalize option  I think , (I do not know this transfered detaill,, sometimes try use lock anotehr nodes,

then only un-lock decide target node,, but it seems not work I expected,,)  

(atternuate selected 100%  work too)

But  Sometimes, to delete weight map if  the geometry was separated  and colored as 100 already  then overwrappoed other mesh ,,

I need, smooth wieght manuall  with brush,, (use with ctrl or alt), then it will start remove weight map, usually after that,, I can use FIll selected,.

(you can use manuall paint, with check option, "Respect selection" I remember,,

======

anyway Thomas really apreciated,, the option (distribute weight map) is actually one of option, I can not clear understand the way,,

your document seems must need item, I think now.

fillweight.PNG
    992 x 665 - 258K
    remove.PNG
    640 x 545 - 161K
    Post edited by kitakoredaz on
  • Thanks, I guess fill selected is the best, if not perfect option. It's just tedious to do it for every map.

Then I do not know, if you already find your all question,, but the first question "How do I assign a node selection to the right bone",

is simple.  

1, set facegroup by geometry editor which you need to assgine for node. (but usuaully when you use transfer utility ,those are auto transfered from template, or donner figure)

2 check it with node (which you assgin) in top column of Joint editor tool. you must need open tool settiing tab,

but there is limit,, you can not assgin mulitple face group for one node  as selection group , .

I do not know, if we can use surafce group. or  user defined selection group in geometry editor, for assign node, as selection group.( may not work)

the selection group = usually corespond with face group,  purpose is mainly,, to select those node, with pose tool in 3d view without scene tab  selection.

without you assgin it, you can not select node, in 3d view directly.  then it is important to set them for all nodes as you desgined.

about weight map, actually even though you do not set any face group,  triax weight can work when you color (though it not recommended) weight on to the poligon for each node.

selectiongoup.PNG
    1227 x 795 - 316K
  • Thanks, that's what I was looking for! I'm getting the hang of it and even started rigging my own figure. I have one last problem, the entire mesh pops back to its zero position while I move joints.

,I need more information, if I can  help something,,  what you try with which tool^^;   eg,, which weight map you used ?  if it is not so complex ,, may better color as general map.(you can easy chagen weight,, from triax to general,,, it usually work,, then if find problem,, adjust them ,,)

and did you move joints by joint editor,,to adjust node,,  or already colored weight, then try to check by pose tool or parameter? 

Now I have some problem,, with tweaking product house roof,,,  (I simply modify it to slide roof, then it was  already colored as triax map for some part,, but some node not colored,,

may use node to  hide only ,, I think,, )when I color map,, the roof mesh not translate,, in current beta,,(then tweak draw seting,, it seems move, but once I release mouse ,it retun to the place,)

thent bone only move and located,,, ,,,  then I feel if your question related it,,,  , (I sometimes see this happen with triax figure, ,,)  anyway detail please,, if you still struggling with issue.