NEW! Novica & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 6

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,858

Really LOVE that her face is turned away from the view, enough of it shows to give a very lovely feeling- she's competent, fluid, engrossed in what she's doing. Superbly done! Can't wait to see the Iray.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,804
    Novica said:

Really LOVE that her face is turned away from the view, enough of it shows to give a very lovely feeling- she's competent, fluid, engrossed in what she's doing. Superbly done! Can't wait to see the Iray.

Thanks! I'll also have an Iray render in the morning. I think I finally have a light set and render settings I'm happy with but it's very slow to render so I'll do it while I sleep. I'm learning a lot about lighting an interior Iray scene in the process. With the mirror, some of the mesh lights end up being in the reflection even though you don't see them in the room.

The freebies need tweaking that have the Iray materials. This is the fix:

"The faces/lips materials on some of these (and the male gens) have the wrong settings. The characters and full material presets are as they should be. Quick fix is to apply the face or lip material and then Ctrl-click on the full material set and tell it to retain the maps."

edited December 2015

So here is the Iray render of Loft Dance Studio. The studio does not come with Iray materials, so I added the Iray Uber Base shader to everything but the mirror, then added the Iray Metal - Aluminum - Polished shader to the mirror.  Dance Gear for Genesis 3 Females and Classical Dance Poses for Genesis 3 Female both come with 3DL and Iray materials, so I switched them to the Iray materials. The dance studio is an enclosed studio space so it needs lights otherwise it renders mostly black. I have a limited set of Iray lights so I used Architectural Lighting Rig for Iray. It puts a non-rendering rig inside the room with attached lights. I had this same product for 3DL so bought the new version for Iray and this is the first time I've used it. I used the ALR Iray Wide Spots preset - it was too bright for the room, so I toned down the 4 spotlights and one point light from the default 60% intensity to 20%.  I turned off the four uplights as they were casting shadows up and the room shows ceiling lights. To highlight the figure, I also added the ALR Small Waterfall lights from the same set. This casts a downward light by default, so I moved and rotated it to cast a light from above-side and also dropped the intensity from 60 to 40%.I did want to create the sense of sunlight coming through the windows as I had in the 3DL version but I never could figure that out. I'll have to keep playing around trying to learn how to do that. The Iray scene was very slow to render (2 hr 25 min) - the 3DL version zipped right along. I'm equally happy with both the 3DL and the Iray version and like this studio for setting dance scenes.

Here's a small comparison of the two (3DL on left, Iray on right):

LoftDanceStudio_Iray_1.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 720K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
    edited December 2015

This is Selena Hair (G3F) on a character from another site, Odelle. If you want an older woman she's very easy to render in Iray (haven't tested 3DL). I want to tweak hair a bit in Iray, this thread is interesting, I saw it months ago but can't keep up with all the threads that I want to go back too lol! This is with the default Iray lighting that loads, I increased the Environment Intensity to 1.10 and the Y Dome Orientation is 270  If you aren't lighting the scene enough, try rotating and experimenting with that before you go crazy on changing stuff in the Tone Mapping section. Speaking of which, my ISO is 135. I find that is a good starting point on many of the scenes (default is 100)   She's wearing Hobby Clothes (Gen3F)

OdelleSerenaHair.jpg
    500 x 900 - 377K
    Post edited by Novica on

The Architectural Lighting is still taking me a bit to wrap my head around, I'd been working on it since last week with a room holiday scene and tweaking, tweaking, and more tweaking. Once conquered, will be a great light set (and I'm being nit picky with it.)  I may be PMing you, lol! 

Novica said:

This is ... Odelle. If you want an older woman she's very easy to render in Iray (haven't tested 3DL). 

Now I like her! Really looks like an older woman. Nice to see something (male or female) beyond the usual young, beautiful model.

I'm hoping the vendor will do something senior for Genesis 3 Male (Odelle is Gen 3) as I would scoop him up in a heartbeat.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,551

I really like Odelle. Particularly like the skin of the chest. Too often when characters have blemishes they sort of end with the face. I like when they don't have a mask-like face of blemishes, but that their body is untouched.

The skin looks very convincing.

IT is funny that other stores are producing more content that is less mainstream than DAZ. I've noticed Renderosity has released 2 new figures for G3M as well.

edited December 2015

I really like Odelle. Particularly like the skin of the chest. Too often when characters have blemishes they sort of end with the face. I like when they don't have a mask-like face of blemishes, but that their body is untouched.

The skin looks very convincing.

IT is funny that other stores are producing more content that is less mainstream than DAZ. I've noticed Renderosity has released 2 new figures for G3M as well.

Her entire body is well done, it is consistent with the arms and legs. I'm going to be showing some of the Rendo clothing/characters that I've bought throughout the year as I'm testing them for my catalog/book renders. There's some good lightsets by vendors who sell both here/there, their promo lightsets. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 2015

I adore Odelle - I think Fredels has done a fabulous job on her, and I'm pretty sure she's the ONLY mature age/older female character for G3F on the market. Keep an eye on his store - he's posted a sneak peek at another mature character for G3F that he's working on..this time an ethnic one. I'll see if he has any plans for an older G3Male character :) I did a piece with Odelle a few days back, it's in my gallery http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/97732

Post edited by jakiblue on
    jakiblue said:

I adore Odelle - I think Fredels has done a fabulous job on her, and I'm pretty sure she's the ONLY mature age/older female character for G3F on the market. Keep an eye on his store - he's posted a sneak peek at another mature character for G3F that he's working on..this time an ethnic one. I'll see if he has any plans for an older G3Male character :) I did a piece with Odelle a few days back, it's in my gallery http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/97732

Yours shows the arms/hands and the wonderful skin materials. Nicely done with the lighting!

• Oh, I'm so glad you guys like Odelle. The feedback I've received since her release is just incredible. Never thought people would be so happy to see a mature character.
    edited December 2015

Oh hi Fredels! Such an honor to have you pop in. (and your first post on Daz!)  Any mature dudes in the pipeline?

Post edited by Novica on
  • Lol. Yeah. I'm not too often in the forums anywhere to be honest. But jaki just told me about the G3M idea, which i actually love! I think I will make a husband for my women, yes. I'm currently on Jun. (little preview attached) But when she's ready I think I will give it a try :)
    12360322_1100748206610266_4022344420441630637_n.jpg
    900 x 900 - 79K
    Fredels said:
    Lol. Yeah. I'm not too often in the forums anywhere to be honest. But jaki just told me about the G3M idea, which i actually love! I think I will make a husband for my women, yes. I'm currently on Jun. (little preview attached) But when she's ready I think I will give it a try :)

Ooooh, Jun is also a must have! 

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

When Jun is done, I'll be rendering the heck out of her! LOL I'll post here too :) 

jakiblue said:

I adore Odelle - I think Fredels has done a fabulous job on her, and I'm pretty sure she's the ONLY mature age/older female character for G3F on the market. Keep an eye on his store - he's posted a sneak peek at another mature character for G3F that he's working on..this time an ethnic one. I'll see if he has any plans for an older G3Male character :)

Novica said:
    Fredels said:
    Lol. Yeah. I'm not too often in the forums anywhere to be honest. But jaki just told me about the G3M idea, which i actually love! I think I will make a husband for my women, yes. I'm currently on Jun. (little preview attached) But when she's ready I think I will give it a try :)

Ooooh, Jun is also a must have! 

LOL, Fredels, you definitely should make Odelle your avatar. MUCH better than that cross-eyed thingy that looks both snockered and high on something!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,018
    edited December 2015
    Novica said:

LOL, Fredels, you definitely should make Odelle your avatar. MUCH better than that cross-eyed thingy that looks both snockered and high on something!

But only if you are female. Far too many men have women for their avatars, and then people start referring to them as she/her. That should be more incentive for you to make a make character. wink

Of course, I'm not sure I have a right to criticize, since my avatar is a bird. Perhaps it signals that I am not human, or that I am a bird-brain, or ??? Hmm, oh yeah, and I forgot, Novica's avatar is a horse. Oh well, carry on and use whatever avatar you want! surprise

Post edited by barbult on
    barbult said:
    Novica said:

But only if you are female. Far too many men have women for their avatars, and then people start referring to them as she/her. That should be more incentive for you to make a make character. wink

Of course, I'm not sure I have a right to criticize, since my avatar is a bird. Perhaps it signals that I am not human, or that I am a bird-brain, or ??? Hmm, oh yeah, and I forgot, Novica's avatar is a horse. Oh well, carry on and use whatever avatar you want! surprise

Good point! (And my horse was a male, too. And Stetson, the one I have now, is also a male. I can't win so far as having a female avatar!)  If you're a bird brain, I'd have to be a neigh-sayer. 

Novica said:

If you're a bird brain, I'd have to be a neigh-sayer. 

laughsurprisesmileyyes That's a good one!!!

• Lol! I was laughing my butt off as I discovered my avatar. It suits me quite well actually.laugh
    But there is a guy sitting behind that avatar, so i will pick something else maybe. we'll see! laugh

Fredels said:

Lol! I was laughing my butt off as I discovered my avatar. It suits me quite well actually.laugh
    But there is a guy sitting behind that avatar, so i will pick something else maybe. we'll see! laugh

I like the new avatar, Fredels.

• EtriganEtrigan Posts: 603
    Fredels said:
    Fredels said:
    Freaking forum won't let me turn quotes off.. XXX##)))
    Fredels said:
    I'm a fan! I love Odelle. I can't wait for Jun. But, since they all can't be cougars, we do need some good older males.
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,070
    edited December 2015

I love those Fredels products - just wish they were here at DAZ (I don't really buy elsewhere)

Here's a quick render of new boy Jared for M7 with today's freebie CP Winter Circlet. Jared is straight out of the box, no fiddling, the circlet is with the silver preset. He's wearing the Sword of Time Outfit and the background is from Iray HDR Outdoor Environments

Click for larger

Jared-and-CP-Winter-Circlet.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 474K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
    MelanieL said:

I love those Fredels products - just wish they were here at DAZ (I don't really buy elsewhere)

Here's a quick render of new boy Jared for M7 with today's freebie CP Winter Circlet. Jared is straight out of the box, no fiddling, the circlet is with the silver preset. He's wearing the Sword of Time Outfit and the background is from Iray HDR Outdoor Environments

Click for large

He  looks much better than the orange promos. I'm curious - what else did you get with Jared? I can't convince myself that there is anything in today's group that I want.

That looks so good Melanie! And I thought that was so generous of the vendors to discount it so much.

On Renderosity, I get quite a few characters, hair, and there's some nice material sets for clothes that are sold here. Also some cool props and robots. I also like the light sets that are used in the promos and those are really cool. Using Paypal is easy there. HiveWire was hacked twice in October 2013, don't know if it's happened since (I don't shop there) but some nice stuff there too.

• MelanieL said:

Click for larger

*Please bare my forum-clumsiness* (i'm sure i'm quoting wrong here) laugh

That looks intense! i love it!
    And about the other thing. I actually offered Odelle to Daz, but they weren't interested. I also hear a lot about products that get rejected, that actually look great and have a good quality and on the other hand i see products that will hit the store soon, they are so boring that you'd have to invent a new word for it, just because we've seen it already over and over again. 

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,500
    edited December 2015

I am also a big fan of Odelle, Fredels, (beginning with the V4 version, you have released with Iray materials)

and Jun is looking just great, too. I am marcolini on Renderosity, and I have bought Odelle, the moment, I have spotted her.

If you could made a male counterparts, it will be awesome.

Post edited by Artini on
    edited December 2015

Fredels said:

That looks intense! i love it!
    And about the other thing. I actually offered Odelle to Daz, but they weren't interested. 

Well, please let us know (if you think about it) when your next darling comes out! And DAZ lost money because of their decision, that's for sure. Don't know what they were thinking, they had their reasons but seriously...FAIL. 

EDIT: I left a review too. Anyone else who bought Odelle, please remember to go back and do that. Wish we could do it for the vendors here. 

Post edited by Novica on
This discussion has been closed.