NEW! Novica & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 6

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,858
    edited December 1969

Here's some screenshots for you. So many more options, can't show them all, Lots of colors, tile sizes, and effects.

supershader3.jpg
    1837 x 1362 - 283K
    supershader2.jpg
    2000 x 1783 - 400K
    supershader1.jpg
    1611 x 1799 - 383K
    edited May 2015

jakiblue said:
    that's looking good! I was tempted on those shaders, but wanted to see them in "action" so to speak before buying, as I was unfamiliar with the vendor and unsure of their work.

Grab 'em! :)

Post edited by Novica on
    edited May 2015

I'll crank out some simple tops for you to see. Keep checking back on this post.
    The sides of this are lumpy because G2F is hidden and is in a pose.

NOTE: The third one is called oil slick. I put a bright spotlight on the front so you could see the different variations you can get by changing up the lights. You can have dark/subtle or glowing rainbow with that one.

SuperShadersCiaoBella4.jpg
    900 x 900 - 666K
    SuperShadersCiaoBella3.jpg
    900 x 900 - 670K
    SuperShadersCiaoBella2.jpg
    900 x 900 - 955K
    SuperShadersCiaoBella.jpg
    900 x 900 - 506K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited May 2015

Darcy Dress is really cool with shaders. You can opague out the tie bows down the front of the dress. (They are there, but darker. It's not a glitch in the top, it's the bows.) This is with the armor shaders n the Super Set.

SuperShadersDarcyDress5.jpg
    900 x 900 - 422K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,551
    edited December 1969

Very nice Novica! Great use of shaders. You've convinced me to buy it!

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,804
    edited December 1969

those shaders look good! thanks for the renders

edited May 2015

Very nice Novica! Great use of shaders. You've convinced me to buy it!

(Evil cackle) "Aha, my plan worked. I spent $35...let's see who I can drag down with me..."
    And of course, you're welcome, my pleasure to share some results. It's playtime, actually! :) If you get these shaders, you won't want to stop tinkering and putzing around with them.

Izarra for Genesis 2 Female(s)
    Black Light for Genesis 2 Female(s) (IS A DAZ ORIGINAL)
    Super Shaders Super Bundle
    Melinda Hair (IS A DAZ ORIGINAL)

http://www.daz3d.com/izarra-for-genesis-2-female-s
    http://www.daz3d.com/black-light-for-genesis-2-female-s
    http://www.daz3d.com/super-shaders-super-bundle
    http://www.daz3d.com/melinda-hair

Although I am not identifying the vendor any longer, I will note for you the Daz Originals so you can use your PC and PC+ (if they qualify, aka your buy-$18-to-save-$6 is not for new items, but the other $6 one works on new. So it depends on if you have one, or both, left for that month.)

Wanted to show you a mesh so I let this render start last night. The character is ruddy on the legs, that's not my lights. I think we discussed that before. It looks like she also has that same color/tan lines on the chest. I really like the character, she looks pretty "natural" so far as her makeup and features. Not a botox babe.

What is so neat is the outfits have material zones that you wouldn't necessarily think are there. I did her crotch area red so you could see that shader in another color. Who would have thought the panty had a separate section? So prepare to have fun when (not if) you get these wonderful shaders!

Anyone have a particular outfit you'd like to see, and with a particular type of shader?
    (EDIT: Added the character's name and link. It's Izarra)

SuperShadersBlackLight.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 594K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited May 2015

Coming up sometime tonight...Alani with SciFi Bodysuit and Super Shaders. This is what the suit looks like before shaders. Not putting hair on Alani as takes too long for rendering.

Edit: One thing about this suit I immediately didn't like was that the material zones do not match the colored sections. Compare this zone. You lose the white and the red trim. It's not just the black area.

EDIT: When rendered, the material zone DID align with what is the colored sections, except for the red trim.

alaniShaders1.jpg
    460 x 1073 - 57K
    SuperShaderAlaniSciFiBodysuit.jpg
    300 x 700 - 71K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Alani for Callie 6 (DAZ ORIGINALS)
    Innocent Hair For Genesis Females
    SciFi Bodysuit for Genesis 2 Female(s) (DAZ ORIGINALS)

http://www.daz3d.com/alani-for-callie-6
    https://www.daz3d.com/innocent-hair-for-genesis-females
    https://www.daz3d.com/scifi-bodysuit-for-genesis-2-female-s

Remember to use your PC+ codes before the end of the month. The SciFi Bodysuit is 30% and you can use your $6 off too.

See the edit (the SECOND ONE) I made to the above post, and look closely at the screenshot. Only the red trim did not have a separate material zone. So be aware the graying out for the shader may be misleading as that white did go to the second material zone. On the Bodysuit: be sure and grab the material zone for the zipper and the zipper itself, they are two different zones.

This bodysuit does NOT zip up. I got it to kitbash and put a top under it. I can't use it in children's books, but got it when deeply discounted. Has nice material zones.

I reduced the chest greatly, also the buttocks, hips, thighs.

And how neat with the shaders!

These have the specular 100 and gloss at either 55 or 65. Scaling is 16x. Again, for you new folks who haven't done shaders, this is the bundle to get. The tiling is a one click action and you can see in the IPR window your immediate results. (Right, you do not have to wait to render and see what you're doing. The shaders DO show up in the preview IPR window.)

The first had poke through. Note from the read-me:
    If the displacement is causing poke through with clothing, just use the preset to switch to bump mapping.

I did that, but also put smoothing on 10 and collision on 10. I still had to postwork the thigh on our left.

SuperShaderAlaniSciFiBodysuit3.jpg
    429 x 1000 - 223K
    edited December 1969

Closeup!
    I used the little "dog bones" shader for the dark brown area. You can see them more clearly on the dark brown hip.

SuperShaderAlaniSciFiBodysuit4.jpg
    644 x 1500 - 916K
    edited May 2015

Newbies- remember you are not limited to the colors in the shaders pack. If you have the Surface tool selected, once you click on a section, click one of the colors in the shaders pack, then go to Surfaces tab and in diffuse, slide the slider. I did the darker (olive) green that way. It's the same shader color as the other greenish/blue, then I darked the diffuse. :)

Edit: Watch using the mesh for collars. Note how it would severely prick the person wearing it. I wanted to show it as I share my experiments. (I sound like the mad scientist who created Frankenstein!)

SuperShaderAlaniSciFiBodysuit5.jpg
    557 x 1300 - 329K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited May 2015

Francesca Dress for Genesis 2 Female(s) (DAZ ORIGINALS)
    AElflaed's Fancy - Shaders for DS and Poser
    FairyFae Hair for Genesis 2 Female(s) (DAZ ORIGINALS)

https://www.daz3d.com/francesca-dress-for-genesis-2-female-s
    http://www.daz3d.com/aelflaed-s-fancy-shaders-for-ds-and-poser
    http://www.daz3d.com/fairyfae-hair-for-genesis-2-female-s

While we're doing shaders, remember Fisty has some really nice ones! What is cool, I used her shaders then popped over to the Super Shaders to use the tiling sizes. So much fun to use two products that are close together in the Content Library. You can pop back and forth!

You can do partial material zones- leave some of the original, as shown.

SuperShaderfrancescaDress2.jpg
    857 x 2000 - 614K
    SuperShaderfrancescaDress.jpg
    557 x 1300 - 384K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,401
    edited May 2015

Willow for Genesis 2 Female
    Genesis 2 Female Clone for Genesis
    Marja Hair
    JeanZ for V4

I picked up the Willow for Genesis 2 Females with my winnings from the April Freebie challenge, mainly for the top (though I may try to convert the character to Genesis 1 as well). I love the top that comes with this set, and the clothes as a whole autofit beautifully to Genesis base using the G2F clone for Genesis. It is absolutely perfect for Tommie Jean (with a new custom texture, of course). So, here we have Tommie Jean in her new top:

At-the-Garage-(small).jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 656K
    Post edited by Tramp Graphics on
    edited December 1969

If anyone has Elven Armor, would you test it on a couple characters and see if you get that rip in between the breasts, and the pull in the thighs when a shader is applied to Day At The Mall pants?

http://www.daz3d.com/elven-armor-for-genesis-2-female-s

(Used Day At The Mall pants, that's why I want those tested.)

superShaderElvenWarriorB.jpg
    557 x 1300 - 367K
    superShaderElvenWarrior.jpg
    557 x 1300 - 358K
  • FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    While we're doing shaders, remember Fisty has some really nice ones! What is cool, I used her shaders then popped over to the Super Shaders to use the tiling sizes. So much fun to use two products that are close together in the Content Library. You can pop back and forth

The super shaders use daz default surface I think, or something that can tile unlimited times at least. Mine use uber surface. When you use the super shader's tiling presets you reset my shaders to default surface and lose a lot of the brilliance.. that grey design on the skirt is supposed to be silver but it's not, it's just matte grey.
    Uber surface has limits set on its tile scale set at max of 10 which is extremely annoying, you can't make a shader preset that sets it over 10 and have it work like you can with a figure pose that goes beyond limits. If you want my shaders to tile more (almost all of mine use uber) click on the gear next to the U and V scale and turn off limits and then dial it higher.
    I did include some tile scale presets in each folder of styles, but of course they're within the limits of 10.

edited December 1969

Good to know, thanks for explaining :) Really like your shaders.

edited May 2015

Thought I would share my cataloging system that I am using (not in the Studio itself, I don't have time to drag files around and can find things easily using ReadMes and the "i" in the DIM)

I use a maximum of 6 codes. If a fitness item (Fit) can also be a restaurant setting (Res) I put Fit / Res for the code.

What I have to laugh at is my knowledge of architecture. Greek, Roman, Mediterranean- oh well, it's whatever works for ME. Most of DM's stuff I put as Mev (Medieval) as I'll know where that's at. I do find "Utility" to be quite useful- that's for waste water treatment plants, gas stations- anything functional, including bus stops. (You could put bus stops under Pav for pavilion, whatever works for you.)

Another example is Harem. That would be Ara / Pal for Arabic and Palace. I can use that set for non-harem activities, but need to know it's a palace type setting.

I did separate out decks (Dec) and patios (Pat) because a patio might not have a deck, and the deck ones are the main area.
    Cafes are outdoor eating areas, restaurants are indoor. Size didn't matter to me although I think cafes are smaller. It's whatever sticks in your mind.

I don't have a separate one for fences, as that usually includes some type of yard area, even if small. Fences by themselves will be in a Props catalog, not a set. You can reuse some of these for props organization.

I also didn't separate out aliens and sci-fi, once you get the sci fi together, then you can separate out. My "homes" section will be broken down in to things like fantasy, tree houses, glass structures, seaside, etc.

I've gotten through 15 pages of the site's Places & Things (there's 73 pages) of what I own (SLOWWWW going) so here's what I've had a need for, so far. If I add categories I will update this list. Hope it's helpful. If you have any ideas or want to tell others some helpful tips, feel free to share. Remember these are SETS though, not props!

Novica's Set Categories:

Adm Administrative
    Apt Apartment
    Ara Arabic
    Art Art Related, Inclu. Studio
    Att Attic
    Bal Ballroom
    Bar Bar (See also Res)
    Bas Basement
    Bat Bathroom
    Bea Beach / Ocean
    Bed Bedroom
    Blc Balcony
    Bld Buildings: Misc Resorts, Businesses
    Bri Bridge
    Caf Café (See also Res)
    Can Canyon
    Cas Castle or Castle-like towers
    Cav Cave
    Cit City Settings or Cities. Includes alleys
    Cnv Carnival
    Cmp Computer / Work Stations
    Con Construction
    Cou Country (not farms)
    Dec Deck
    Des Desert
    Din Dining Room
    Doo Door
    Far Farms / Barns
    Fit Fitness: Gyms, Weight Rms, Dance, Sauna, Locker Rooms, Courts
    Frt Fort
    For Forests / Stumps / Fairylands
    Gar Garage
    Gat Gate
    Gdn Gardens
    Gla Glass (Mostly Glass)
    Gre Greek /Ancient Style / Roman (Not Med)
    Hal Hallway
    Hom Home / Outdoor
    Isl Island
    Kid Kids (Toy room, etc. See also Sch schools)
    Kit Kitchen
    Lab Laboratory
    Liv Living Room /Great Room
    Lof Loft
    Med Mediterranean Style
    Mev Medieval
    Mou Mountains
    Mov Movies
    Mus Museum
    Off Office, Office Waiting Room
    Ori Oriental / Japanese / Chinese
    Pal Palace / Harem
    Par Park / Courtyard
    Pat Patio
    Pav Pavilion / Outdoor Shelter (See also Uti for bus stops)
    Pla Planets
    Poo Pool
    Rel Religious
    Res Restaurant, Club (Not Bar)
    Roa Road (Streets)
    Roc Rocks
    Roy Royalty (Thrones, large rooms with banners)
    Rui Ruins
    Sch School
    Sci Sci Fi / Futuristic
    She Sheds, Outbuildings
    Shp Shopping
    Spn Spanish / Mexican / South American
    Ste Steampunk (Clocks, Gears)
    Tem Temples, paths to temples
    Tom Tomb
    Too Toon
    Tow Tower
    Tra Train or transportation areas (parking lots, etc)
    Tro Tropical
    Und Underground- other than basements. Aka, cellars, vaults
    Uti Utilities (electrical / wastewater /gas stations)
    Vill Village
    Wal Wall
    Wat Water- other than beach/ocean. Such as ponds, drainage, etc
    Wes Western
    Win Winter / Snow
    Yar Yard (Includes Fences)

Edit: added:
    Blc Balcony
    Rui Ruins
    Gdn Garden
    Bat Bathroom
    Tom Tomb
    Wal Wall
    Isl Island
    Con Construction

Post edited by Novica on
  • atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

OMG What a massive undertaking, Novica. You've given me some new ideas for breaking out my Environments.

edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    OMG What a massive undertaking, Novica. You've given me some new ideas for breaking out my Environments.

It's kinda fun, once you get started. I learned my lesson though- I unchecked the Hide What I Own (when will they EVER get the "Show what I own" as the option to show only what you have???) Then I shrank the window, opened a second window of Word Perfect, so I could type my list as I went. Word Perfect has a sort alphabetically function so after I'm done I do that and my categories are all in place as shown in the previous post.

BTW, Fast Grab- I don't recall seeing this in there, so it may have changed again. Cute robot for under $6 and has a lot of moving parts!
    http://www.daz3d.com/pr-4u

edited December 1969

As subscribers won't see edits, wanted to point out these have been added to the Sets list (my way of cataloging) Be sure and check the bottom of that post to see anything else added. I'm only on page 23 of the Places and Things so there will undoubtedly be a few more catagories. I did need "island" (instead of Bea for beach or Wat for anything else with water) because Skull Cove is identified as an island and those are a bit different than only having beachfront properties. Particularly for aerial shots.

Edit: added:
    Blc Balcony
    Rui Ruins
    Gdn Garden
    Bat Bathroom
    Tom Tomb
    Wal Wall
    Isl Island
    Con Construction

edited May 2015

Cottage House

"A suburban dream… Host an outdoor party or enjoy the beautiful vistas and mexican inspired architecture. This beautiful and serene scene, of an exterior cottage house, complete with palm trees and 360 degree scenery..."

I like the inside of the house- it is not done, the floor is grass- but the walls do have two material zones so you can do something spiffy inside. Shown is with the pre-loaded set and lights, I made no adjustments.

Notice it has a garage (inside not done either.) So this is a house you can really make your own, and a nice panoramic opportunity. I went up high in the trees to see how the detail was on the palm tree. It doesn't have a trunk like any I've ever seen (speaking from Florida, with 4 varieties in my yard) as palms grow in sections and the striping of the sections goes horizontally. See image. I Googled and didn't see any palms like that, not saying there aren't but I've not seen any or found images of the vertical smooth striping. Palms are rough barked (that I have seen or found on Google.) CLICK TO ENLARGE THE PHOTO AND CLICK AGAIN, you'll see the horizontal striping easily.

957 x 1300 in size
    21% at 10 minutes
    29% at 15 minutes
    35% at 22 minutes
    38% at 27 minutes
    41% at 30 minutes
    47% at 33 minutes
    67% at 46 minutes
    Done 1 hour 12 minutes.

palm3.jpg
    717 x 1296 - 592K
    CottageHousePresetLights.jpg
    957 x 1300 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

BTW, everything is one big group and you can not hide any aspects. You can surface tool select them and turn opacity to 0, but it's my understanding 3DL renderer will still have to process that when rendering and it won't speed up the render time? If that's true and you have a slow computer, this isn't the set for you.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,018
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    AtticAnne said:

It's kinda fun, once you get started. I learned my lesson though- I unchecked the Hide What I Own (when will they EVER get the "Show what I own" as the option to show only what you have???) Then I shrank the window, opened a second window of Word Perfect, so I could type my list as I went. Word Perfect has a sort alphabetically function so after I'm done I do that and my categories are all in place as shown in the previous post.

BTW, Fast Grab- I don't recall seeing this in there, so it may have changed again. Cute robot for under $6 and has a lot of moving parts!
    http://www.daz3d.com/pr-4u
    Morgan (Cypherfox) has created a bookmarklet for your browser that modifies the DAZ store webpage on the fly to show only products you own. I use it in Firefox. Read the forum post here and follow the link. The post is about the wishlistify bookmarklet, but the linked page contains both.

edited December 1969

Way cool. And I tested the math and the products that were there when the "Hide Items I Own" was checked, when deducted from the total, did match the products that I own which showed up when I used the bookmark. Thanks for mentioning it.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Thanks, barbuilt. I had forgotten about these bookmarklets. Very useful.

edited May 2015

Shinjuku Living
    http://www.daz3d.com/shinjuku-living

If you want something that renders quickly, this does a very nice job. I like the detail on most things, felt it was a letdown on the pan contents. It's an image, and not well bumped/displaced at all. Ramen was displaced 100% with negative and positive -0.027 and 0.033 (it didn't have any displacement) and the rice was only 25% so you'll have to fix that too.

Don't care for the lighting, I left it at default with the "full set" loaded. Frankly(and these are honest reviews) I'm not sure if this vendor knows how to do lighting, or didn't spend time on it, as there are only a few spotlights, no distant lights, etc. But you're not paying for the lighting so give this a look, it's rather fun.

One of the fliers didn't render well (could tell it was a compressed image due to the graininess/fuzzies) (last image in this group) but there are some really fun touches. (Love the Daz computer.)

There are 13 images. Loading more next.

BTW, so sorry for the folks in Houston (where I moved from in Texas.) One bayou rose TWENTY FEET in 1 hour 15 minutes. Over 18,000 basketball fans stuck downtown in the arena. Flooding like in Hurricane Ike. Interstate 10 under water.

shinjukuLiving5.jpg
    589 x 800 - 258K
    shinjukuLiving4.jpg
    589 x 800 - 343K
    shinjukuLiving3.jpg
    589 x 800 - 362K
    shinjukuLiving2.jpg
    589 x 800 - 301K
    shinjukuLiving.jpg
    589 x 800 - 341K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited May 2015

These will show you the difference with the bump on the rice and the pan contents. It starts with the second image. (Again, not my lighting. It's the vendor's.)

shinjukuLiving10.jpg
    589 x 800 - 208K
    shinjukuLiving9.jpg
    589 x 800 - 196K
    shinjukuLiving8wBump.jpg
    589 x 800 - 254K
    shinjukuLiving7Bump.jpg
    589 x 800 - 286K
    shinjukuLiving6.jpg
    589 x 800 - 273K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

the last three.

shinjukuLiving13.jpg
    589 x 800 - 247K
    shinjukuLiving12.jpg
    589 x 800 - 162K
    shinjukuLiving11.jpg
    589 x 800 - 259K
    edited May 2015

In case you're wondering, Ysabeau renders nicely in 3DL. It's rendering now but I did the preview render and it's really nice. (Used the Peppermint character lights.) Rendering her hair on her too.

The render is going to be awhile (1300 x 950) and it's 10% at 8 minutes and going through the hair. Probably a couple hours.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

I'm going to remove the hair and only do the face. It was taking too long and I have to get some sleep, but wanted you to see the 3DL render. It's simple lighting with 5 distant lights, one says IBL-AO, there is a Main, a Rim, and I added a top distant, etc. So nothing fancy. I'm sure with UE2 you could get a neat result.

Ysabeau.jpg
    883 x 1200 - 490K
This discussion has been closed.