NEW! Novica & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 6

17576788081100

Comments

  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,155

    Ooopsie - yes, if (big IF, I don't think Renderosity vendors are setting up Metadata for their products) you are using Smart content, it may break with renaming those folders.

  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 6,837

    Rendo stuff doesn't have meta......nor RDNA....so I suspect they woudln't show in Smart Content anyway....cos SC runs on metadata, doesnt' it? (you can tell I've never used it LOL)

    And I THINK with connect only stuff you can't rename them manually? But everything else, if you're only using Product Library view, rename to your heart's content :D

    But DAZ stuff thta is NOT connect only.......renaming the folders shouldn't affect the metadata for Smart Content view, I don't think, as you're just naming the folder, not playing with the metadata? 

    Kerya said:

    Ooopsie - yes, if (big IF, I don't think Renderosity vendors are setting up Metadata for their products) you are using Smart content, it may break with renaming those folders.

     

  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,155

    The metadata shows DS where to find the folder for the files - so if you renamed the folder ...

    Like I said, I don't use Smart content either (only if I am testing some stuff) ... I am smarter than my content.

    And as Daz has constantly updated metadata again and again for stuff that is out since months/years, I don't think they are very good at it either. IMHO

  • TeofaTeofa Posts: 823

    I noticed something last week, a few of Wilmaps items showed up as I was doing metadata maintenence,... and then showed up in smart content.  The only time I've seen this from a totally independant creator.

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,253
    jakiblue said:

    Agree with Kerya. Caveat: I'm NOT using 4.9 so don't know if it will affect stuff like smart content and the like, as I ONLY use the Product Library (folders). But you can rename ANY PRODUCT FOLDER in DS to what you wish. IE get rid of vanityfolder names, rename "JoeBlow_SexyGreenBarelyThereOutfit_ReallyHot" to "Sexy Green Outfit" etc.  

    LOL Jaki you crack me up!

    And yes, I'm strictly a Product Library person too. 

    So I can rename folders while I'm IN Daz Studio (not over in the directories themselves- what IS that folder that appears in your taskbar officially called?)  Got that. Now Kerya, sorry for being a bit puzzled- do you find it easier to rename and move folders, rather than right clicking and creating a category for them? 

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,253

    Interesting,  there are two Double Breasted Suits in the DIM, same product. One with 510 KB and one with 147.4 MB.  

  • FixmypcmikeFixmypcmike Posts: 18,499
    Novica said:

    Interesting,  there are two Double Breasted Suits in the DIM, same product. One with 510 KB and one with 147.4 MB.  

    What product?

  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 6,837

    I aim to please :)

    Actually I've never renamed stuff IN ds itself. I always do it in the folder...in windows explorer. 

    I install via DIM.

    Right click and see where files landed.

    Browse in explorer to the folder and rename it something more sensible. 

    But again, that may affect Smartarse Content etc, so if you're in 4.9, you may just have to leave them as they are and put up with stupid folder names for products.  

    Novica said:
    jakiblue said:

    Agree with Kerya. Caveat: I'm NOT using 4.9 so don't know if it will affect stuff like smart content and the like, as I ONLY use the Product Library (folders). But you can rename ANY PRODUCT FOLDER in DS to what you wish. IE get rid of vanityfolder names, rename "JoeBlow_SexyGreenBarelyThereOutfit_ReallyHot" to "Sexy Green Outfit" etc.  

    LOL Jaki you crack me up!

    And yes, I'm strictly a Product Library person too. 

    So I can rename folders while I'm IN Daz Studio (not over in the directories themselves- what IS that folder that appears in your taskbar officially called?)  Got that. Now Kerya, sorry for being a bit puzzled- do you find it easier to rename and move folders, rather than right clicking and creating a category for them? 

     

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,253
    edited January 2016
    Novica said:

    Interesting,  there are two Double Breasted Suits in the DIM, same product. One with 510 KB and one with 147.4 MB.  

    What product?

    I put the link in your quote, above wink  And yes, they were both the same SKU. 

    Post edited by Novica on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,253
    edited January 2016

    Another of the Geneva Hair, on a P3D character, Maria, at another store (Rendo)  that I think you'll really like for the skin materials.  I tweaked her lips a lot,  and the teeth a bit too, in the closeup. The second one is out of the box, and I didn't care for the lips, but look at those eyebrows! (Woot!) These are large, so click the first one and click again to see those brows waaaay up close. I'm a fan! 

    If you're looking for rich, warm, bronzed skin tones, Maria's worth a look!  (And nice sheen.)  

    EDIT: These lights were pretty dark, ISO wasn't high, left at around 100, spotlight only 10,000 lumens, intensity 100,  so her skin appears darker. With more lights, she will be very different.

    RendoP3DMariaMINEb.jpg
    870 x 1200 - 897K
    RendoP3DMaria.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 434K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,253

    TIP: If you are trying to pose eyes or something else, and the Universal Tool is blocking your view, (that square thing with the arrows that you can pull to translate or rotate, in the viewport) go up and click the Surface Tool (the three sheets of paper) and it will simply outline it in yellow but give you a clear view to tweak it!

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,253
    edited January 2016

    This is Maria with ISO 160 and lumens increased to 25,000,  up from 10,000 and Intensity of the spotlight (there's only one) up from 100% to 112%.  Been awhile since we discussed teeth (good luck finding that with five previous threads) but if you don't want a mouth full of teeth, remember you can lower them on the bottom and raise them on the top (LOOK AT MY SETTINGS BELOW FOR THOSE TEETH HEIGHT!) , and vampire teeth slider helps you get the canines less square. Moving the top teeth forward slightly will get you a more realistic overbite, many if not most of us don't clamp together perfectly when we close our mouths with the teeth together. Look at my Maria, above. I think that looks very realistic. Next, I'll probably shorten the teeth on either side of her front two, to give it more variety.

    Here's what I used.  It would be interesting to see what you've used on a character you really like. We haven't done teeth in awhile!  smiley

     

    teethMariaRendo.jpg
    803 x 900 - 2M
    RendoMariaIncreasedIOSpotIntensity.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 715K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,495
    edited January 2016
    Novica said:

    This is Maria with ISO        and lumens increased to        and Intensity of the spotlight (there's only one) up from 100% to        .  Been awhile since we discussed teeth (good luck finding that with five previous threads) but if you don't want a mouth full of teeth, remember you can lower them, and vampire teeth slider helps you get the canines less square. Moving the top teeth forward slightly will get you a more realistic overbite, many if not most of us don't clamp together perfectly when we close our mouths with the teeth together. Look at my Maria, above. I think that looks very realistic. Next, I'll probably shorten the teeth on either side of her front two, to give it more variety.

    Here's what I used.  It would be interesting to see what you've used on a character you really like. We haven't done teeth in awhile!  smiley

    Lighting looks really good. I've never paid any attention to the teeth. I'll have to try these settings out.

    "good luck finding that with five previous threads" If you do want to find out what's in this or the previous threads, search Google using words like these: novica reviews teeth settings site:www.daz3d.com/forums (substitute whatever you're looking for in place of teeth settings, e.g. dresses genesis 2 females). The first link that shows up for teeth is to a June 2013 posting in part 1 about adjusting teeth color. The link only takes you to the top of the page unfortunately, so you have to scroll down or do a Ctrl+F search on the page. I've used this a lot to check out purchases I'm considering or to look up something I recalled reading but don't remember the details.

    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,253
    edited January 2016

    Okay, so I changed Teeth Upper Outer Incisor Scale to -16 so the teeth on either side of the two front teeth are slightly smaller, and their height is at 1.3% because I made the front teeth longer. I tweaked the canines a bit more too, scaled them a teeny bit smaller and then shortened them slightly. So this is her teeth. (Wish I got paid like a dentist!)  Those little tweaks to the front teeth length and shortening the upper incisors made a nice difference. 

     

    RendoMariaTeethFINAL.jpg
    400 x 600 - 164K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,253

     

    RGcincy said:
    Novica said:

    Lighting looks really good. I've never paid any attention to the teeth. I'll have to try these settings out.

    "good luck finding that with five previous threads" If you do want to find out what's in this or the previous threads, search Google using words like these: novica reviews teeth settings site:www.daz3d.com/forums (substitute whatever you're looking for in place of teeth settings, e.g. dresses genesis 2 females). The first link that shows up for teeth is to a June 2013 posting in part 1 about adjusting teeth color. The link only takes you to the top of the page unfortunately, so you have to scroll down or do a Ctrl+F search on the page. I've used this a lot to check out purchases I'm considering or to look up something I recalled reading but don't remember the details.

    LOL, I've been told we come up alot (this thread is definitely a "we" with so many helpful people, yourself included!) in Google searches on products. 

    I'll post the entire teeth settings in a few minutes, I'm trying to find the one that changes the slant on all the top layer, without bothering the bottom layer.

    BTW, was just getting ready to tell you I like the art scene, the only thing I'd tweak is that cactus. It seems cartoony to me, no matter what renderer is used. DId you UberBase it by chance? Could you do a test of it with it? (Just hide everything else, keep it in the same spot so the lighting is the exact same?)  I really like the pose (relaxed, not perfect posture) and the concentration of the character. The little details too- that stuff to his right laying there is wonderful! 

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,253

    This is the final for the teeth. Won't put it in this view, it's rather boring, but you can click and get the large version. Hope it helps!

    teethMariaRendo2.jpg
    680 x 1403 - 2M
  • FixmypcmikeFixmypcmike Posts: 18,499
    Novica said:
    Novica said:

    Interesting,  there are two Double Breasted Suits in the DIM, same product. One with 510 KB and one with 147.4 MB.  

    What product?

    I put the link in your quote, above wink  And yes, they were both the same SKU. 

    The small one is probably the PoserCF -- if it isn't labeled correctly, could you bug report it?

     

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,253
    edited January 2016

    Sure. It said the same thing on both lines.

    Next question- I can't find 220 Expressions for Genesis after I load it, and the ReadMe is a piece of garbage. (That would be by AlFan and Smay.)  My DIM says it is loaded, I couldn't find it in 4.8 anywhere, uninstalled and reinstalled, no luck, then checked in 4.9, it said it wasn't loaded so I Connect installed, still can't find it. Where is the blasted thing? (Don't bother with the ReadMe, no info.  And the files don't help. Just say base/morphs. 

    Post edited by Novica on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,495
    Novica said:

     

    BTW, was just getting ready to tell you I like the art scene, the only thing I'd tweak is that cactus. It seems cartoony to me, no matter what renderer is used. DId you UberBase it by chance? Could you do a test of it with it? (Just hide everything else, keep it in the same spot so the lighting is the exact same?)  I really like the pose (relaxed, not perfect posture) and the concentration of the character. The little details too- that stuff to his right laying there is wonderful! 

    Here's an Iray render of the cactus alone at the same distance as before and a closeup render. Both have the UberBase applied. I think you'll see from the closeup the cactus is a fairly crude model with a very simple surface - which is why you're seeing it as cartoony.

     

    Artist Nook_Iray_cactus.jpg
    808 x 727 - 22K
    Artist Nook_Iray_cactus_closeup.jpg
    808 x 727 - 73K
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 5,366
    Novica said:

    Sure. It said the same thing on both lines.

    Next question- I can't find 220 Expressions for Genesis after I load it, and the ReadMe is a piece of garbage. (That would be by AlFan and Smay.)  My DIM says it is loaded, I couldn't find it in 4.8 anywhere, uninstalled and reinstalled, no luck, then checked in 4.9, it said it wasn't loaded so I Connect installed, still can't find it. Where is the blasted thing? (Don't bother with the ReadMe, no info.  And the files don't help. Just say base/morphs.

    Since it's for Genesis, I assume you need to select the Head to see those morphs - is that where you are looking?

  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,495

    Select the head, then you'll find them under Parameters - Pose Controls - Head - Expressions - 220 Emotions

  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 5,366

    Ah, good, someone who knows the answer! I don't have my DAZ Studio PC switched on at the moment so I couldn't look for myself exactly where they were, but I knew I'd found them in the past...

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 14,869
    Novica said:

    Sure. It said the same thing on both lines.

    Next question- I can't find 220 Expressions for Genesis after I load it, and the ReadMe is a piece of garbage. (That would be by AlFan and Smay.)  My DIM says it is loaded, I couldn't find it in 4.8 anywhere, uninstalled and reinstalled, no luck, then checked in 4.9, it said it wasn't loaded so I Connect installed, still can't find it. Where is the blasted thing? (Don't bother with the ReadMe, no info.  And the files don't help. Just say base/morphs. 

    Select Genesis Head.  Open Pose Controls->Head->Expressions There they are under 220 Emotions.

     

    220 Emotions location.jpg
    480 x 858 - 239K
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,253

    Thanks all, I thought I was going nuts.

    Rich, I hate that cactus lol!  DO something...even a metallic shader would be better than that thing! 

    I'm using DIM and going through using the "i" to see what generation or props these are, some are so "out there" that I can't tell if it's a person, place, or thing like clothing. Then there was the brilliant purchase of Aircraft Needle Textures, without Aircraft Needle being in the store. For crykey sakes. I guess it was in the store at one point. 

    One cutie I think I'll render for the fun of it- or do you have one already- is Akiobot Maria. She is Aiko 3 Base-Anime Girl, and I bet she would look really good with Iray shaders applied. There's no page for her or I would link to it for you. I don't think we've ever done an Aiko 3 on this thread! 

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,253

    I'm going to be bugging you with ones I am finding as I go through (sigh, starting at the A's) and that I think are kinda awesome. If you have renders of these, would love to see 'em. 

    Alatariel has beautiful details.

    Alcarine has creepy face coves with candles. I've never understood the pumpkins with the star decor (isn't that ritualistic?) 

    Alcazar Del Pantano for Cobra windows  (Castillo del Diablo required)

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,253
    edited January 2016

    Hmmm,   Alex is an M4/H4 and a good older teen. I'd change his mouth and widen it, it's too puckered up. Like the eyebrows.

    It's another boo boo in DIM. This says simply Alex which the "i" works and goes to the page. The next DIM item says Alex for M4/H4 and it's page not found. I'll report all these when I get done.

    Alexios Hair is a great short haircut for Genesis.  (I'll be adding more here as I go)

    Alsace for a French village which is surrounded by water (Faveral told me to use Progressive for 3DL, to get her water to look like that. It worked.) 

    Amaya Hair for your Generation 4 gals.

    Anais Summer V4 Elite A4  is a cute outfit, look at all the morphs!  Anais has good eyebrows, I'd change the lips.

    Anarane is a very nice, serene setting with a domed building and stairs. Use Faveral's water and you're all set.

    Annie for V4, A4 etc- look at the variety!

    Had to chuckle- the one on the end in the last thumbnail reminded me of Alien with that head shape, due to the hair.

    Aryelle Hair is precious for kids and also adults. Wonder what it would look like with Iray materials on it?

    Post edited by Novica on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,253
    jakiblue said:

    Oh is THAT what the Local User thingie is! I never clicked on it because I wasn't sure if it was going to do a James Bond ejection-seat type action. Now, back to serious- I'll have to read through it- thanks so much for posting!

  • NovicaNovica Posts: 22,253

    Oh, this can't be right. Little One is not required for Anemone Hair!   (and what a hilarious collection of promo art for Little One!)

  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 6,837

    Remember back in the day when under "required products" they started listing ALL the figures that something was compatible with? And people started getting confused cos they'd want, say a hair, and then say "well, I have V4 but I don't have A3, H3, M3, M4 etc, so can I still use it?" I suspect that is a leftover from that :) 

    Novica said:

    Oh, this can't be right. Little One is not required for Anemone Hair!   (and what a hilarious collection of promo art for Little One!)

     

This discussion has been closed.