Fern Lake & Through The Woods (Commercial)

Comments

• RedzRedz Posts: 1,459

I've bought the bundle and the environments are clearly very impressive, but I confess I'm having trouble getting any kind of workable camera positions to show the water/forest floor. I would be truly grateful for a couple of base camera positions to get me started. 

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,292
    Czexana said:

Here's my first Iray run with the Fern Lake - really amazed how well (and quickly!) it renders. I adjusted the water colour to show a bit more organics and less sediment, as that's what I'd expect in this sort of rocky bed. No post processing except convert to JPG.

Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 02328 iterations after 5729.754s.
    Finished Rendering
    Total Rendering Time: 1 hours 36 minutes 36.83 seconds

I really like this one. How did you adjust the water to give it that slightly muddy look, but is otherwise clear? I tried this myself, and the only way I could make the water look clearer was by switching off the volumetrics, but then it looked too clear (and the wrong color).

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,874

You can play with the water coloring by changing refraction color. You can also give it a color that 'bleeds in' over distance with transmitted color.

I suspect Czexana might have simply lowered the SSS effect -- if you lower SSS weight, it will look clearer but still not clear. My initial image, the frog and dragon, I ended up reducing the SSS a bunch because I wanted more of a transition between shallows and deeper water.

You can play with the water coloring by changing refraction color. You can also give it a color that 'bleeds in' over distance with transmitted color.

I suspect Czexana might have simply lowered the SSS effect -- if you lower SSS weight, it will look clearer but still not clear. My initial image, the frog and dragon, I ended up reducing the SSS a bunch because I wanted more of a transition between shallows and deeper water.

Thanks. I thought I had tried reducing the SSS and seen little change, but I tried it again and it gives me the effect I wanted, cheers Will.

I find SSS requires a lot of experimentation. It DOES get a little easier after you try it a bunch of times, but it's hard to just explain it.

One thing that's frustrating and a little counterintuitive is that there's no way to change the scale of transition from 'not that occluded' to 'really foggy.' You can just make it less or more. mutter

• CzexanaCzexana Posts: 167
    Havos said:
    Czexana said:

Here's my first Iray run with the Fern Lake - really amazed how well (and quickly!) it renders. I adjusted the water colour to show a bit more organics and less sediment, as that's what I'd expect in this sort of rocky bed. No post processing except convert to JPG.

Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 02328 iterations after 5729.754s.
    Finished Rendering

I really like this one. How did you adjust the water to give it that slightly muddy look, but is otherwise clear? I tried this myself, and the only way I could make the water look clearer was by switching off the volumetrics, but then it looked too clear (and the wrong color).

Thanks smiley

For the water I set refraction colour RGB to 225;176;115, scattering measurement distance increased to 0.15 and SSS direction 1.0 - I think all the other settings were unaltered.

Here's another quick WIP, 'Unexpected Encounter ...' cool

forest pond nixie.jpg
    840 x 525 - 301K
    Czexana said:
    Havos said:
    Czexana said:

Finished Rendering

Thanks smiley

For the water I set refraction colour RGB to 225;176;115, scattering measurement distance increased to 0.15 and SSS direction 1.0 - I think all the other settings were unaltered.

Here's another quick WIP, 'Unexpected Encounter ...' cool

Thanks, those settings work great as well. Will is correct about mastering these SSS settings, it is a bit of a black art.

You know, after trying to replicate volume SSS effects in 3DL... that's another thing I like way better in Iray.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited March 2016

Czexana said:

Finished Rendering

This is excellent. All the pics are great but this is the one that shows the bottom close to the edge rather than implying a sheer dropoff where the rocks end and water begins.

Add: ie, more transparency there. Also, perhaps because it's 'supposed to be' a silty lake, there is little to no sky reflection. I lived in the 'Land of a Thousand Lakes' for several years and there would be silty ponds, rarely a silty lake.

Post edited by Spit on
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,308

Will,

I'm struggling with this a bit.  What I want is almost  transparent water. I've set the refraction colour to white (255, 255, 255) which removes the silty look but I can't find the SSS weight parameter on the surface tab.  Can you help a little further?

Cheers,

Alex.

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited March 2016

It is below Top Coat .. [ SSS Amount ]  just below Thin Walled change just to lower desire SSS Amount and  left the other setting the way it is  

The refraction color to 240 for almost transparent if in combination with slightly SSS Amount , 255 is too much .. go below 0.0000410 for the SSS Amount or less 

Will,

I'm struggling with this a bit.  What I want is almost  transparent water. I've set the refraction colour to white (255, 255, 255) which removes the silty look but I can't find the SSS weight parameter on the surface tab.  Can you help a little further?

Cheers,

Alex.

Post edited by MEC4D on
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,308
    MEC4D said:

It is below Top Coat .. [ SSS Amount ]  just below Thin Walled change just to lower desire SSS Amount and  left the other setting the way it is  

The refraction color to 240 for almost transparent if in combination with slightly SSS Amount , 255 is too much .. go below 0.0000410 for the SSS Amount or less 

Will,

Cheers,

Alex.

Cath,

Many thanks, I'll try this.

Cheers,

Alex.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

Couple of thoughts:

1. from the overall scale, this is a lot closer to a pond than a lake. 

2. The artist makes the water what it is

3. While i haven't experimented with it, since iray is pbr, I don' t think you will get reflections if you don't draw the dome

Spit said:

Czexana said:

This is excellent. All the pics are great but this is the one that shows the bottom close to the edge rather than implying a sheer dropoff where the rocks end and water begins.

Add: ie, more transparency there. Also, perhaps because it's 'supposed to be' a silty lake, there is little to no sky reflection. I lived in the 'Land of a Thousand Lakes' for several years and there would be silty ponds, rarely a silty lake.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    fastbike1 said:

Couple of thoughts:

1. from the overall scale, this is a lot closer to a pond than a lake. 

2. The artist makes the water what it is

3. While i haven't experimented with it, since iray is pbr, I don' t think you will get reflections if you don't draw the dome

Spit said:

Czexana said:

3: yes that is correct.

3DL and the forest haven't gotten much love...

So here's another!

Man walking through the woods 3dlsm.png
    1080 x 1080 - 923K
  • cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609

Here is a first Lake render in 3Delight

AVA - Lake.jpg
    1650 x 875 - 368K

Your first and so far the best with 3DL I saw.. very nice job @cosmo71 

cosmo71 said:

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    cosmo71 said:

Very nice; I wish I could get water like that consistently in 3Delight.

Is it just me, or does her expression say "yes, something just wriggled over my bare foot, and no, I am not going to look"...    

Or maybe it was the missing fisherman from last winter lol  funny joke on side but actually it happen to me when I  was little , I never got to swim in any lake since then ..got little phobia   .. I enjoy it's beauty from outside  

cosmo71 said:

Very nice; I wish I could get water like that consistently in 3Delight.

Is it just me, or does her expression say "yes, something just wriggled over my bare foot, and no, I am not going to look"...    

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited March 2016

Woot! finally got my internet back to download! just a quick render, basically plug and play, load, add hdr, set bloom filter, render.  It fits on my 2gb video card! and its pretty fast to render too. I didn't time it but definitely under 20 minutes *edit: under 10 actually*.

woods2.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    Post edited by j cade on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    MEC4D said:

Or maybe it was the missing fisherman from last winter lol  funny joke on side but actually it happen to me when I  was little , I never got to swim in any lake since then ..got little phobia   .. I enjoy it's beauty from outside  

Uuuuuh! Poor Cath! {hugs}

I was thinking it was a branch that touched my leg .. then look behind me and AAAAaaaaa ! horror story , I still think about when I swim in the sea sometimes .. it never left me 

Kerya said:
    MEC4D said:

Uuuuuh! Poor Cath! {hugs}

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    fool said:

almost looks like a Howie Farkes Carrara scene or something rendered in Bryce heart

impressive

...when I saw the promos I thought the same thing.

On the wishlist for now.

Nothing fancy but Through the Woods in 3Delight. UE2 only with contrast heightened. I've found with 3DL, not with iRay, that I have to do a bit with levels in PS even though I use gamma correction.

Anyway, just loaded and didn't do anything with the camera--this is how it loads up. I don't know if the time includes processing images but it probably does because it was the first and only time I hit render.

Bottom line in 3DL this took exactly 2 minutes and 35 seconds to render.

ThroughTheWoodsUE2-3DL-2min35sec-AL.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 159K
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,858

Okay, so how do you tell what an instance is so you can turn them on in the viewport? 

• nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,319

Wow!  Top notch!

Novica said:

Okay, so how do you tell what an instance is so you can turn them on in the viewport? 

Are you asking me? In 3delight they're automatically on. If I wanted those front leaves off (they're an instance by the name in the scene panel) all I have to do is select then click the eye closed.

edited March 2016

This post.  (By Havros. Not that I don't adore you Spit  wink )  There's a ton of things listed in the Scene tab, I did find at least one group.  Alls's good.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2016

Um, this isn't right. I selected all the instances, went to Parameter, and it already had ON for Visible in Render, Visible, and Selectable. But they are NOT showing in the viewport. And when I render they are blocking the view. I had posted this in my Art Studio thread before reading about the instance situation here. This is Iray btw. So I don't know what else to do if it was saying "On" already and not showing in the viewport. I've got all the instances clicked on in Scene and Parameters, and I can see the boundary box thin lines, but those instances are NOT showing themselves if Im supposed to be seeing those trees. (And it was already "On" when I did the first one.) 

ferntrees3.jpg
    799 x 397 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,156

you want to check instance preview in the 'instancing' paramaters, not the visible option in 'display'

I set it up this way to make viewport navigation easier,with everything visible and a clothed figure it gets pretty slow,

I did get a fellow PA to make a script that hides/unhides all of them at once ,which was quite handy,will see if they have any plans to make it available

Untitled-1.jpg
    630 x 582 - 81K