Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601
    CypherFOX said:

Greetings,

Novica said:

It's a great time to shop the Newly Mad section and put two or more in your cart if you're a bonus buyer. Full price x .50 x .70 x .10 is the price you should be paying if you are a bonus buyer. Use that formula to check the prices. I've already checked out. I didn't wait for that 70% DO sale to straighten up, that does NOT require additional purchases to work. Shop the Newly Mad. 

Yeah...  It was kinda nuts.  I essentially bought _everything_ released today, and there's some damn fine things released today, for under $30.

--  Morgan

Putting the two bundles in the cart only leaves the dress textures. Any which way you look at it, it's a sweet deal.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,684
    edited March 2017

Does anyone know how to fix this poke through? The sleeves are for G3 on G3 and doing this weird thing and the dress is for G2 but I have wear them all plus Sickleyield's thing that added a choice for a short wide dress. I feel like I have something that is supposed to fix breast problems but I can't remember what it is called or where it is installed. The sleeve thing is just weird, there are no morphs on it at all and it's not like the model is an extreme shape... Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Poke Through.JPG
    603 x 481 - 66K
    Post edited by Wonderland on
  • firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454
    edited March 2017

I bought the secret base bundle and the two FWSA characters. Nice deal! I'll have to hunt through the rest later when the prices settle. Several items on my wishlist are in the DSON sale, so I'll probably be grabbing them, although I could swear some stuff changed in the sale. Hmm...

Can Aiko3 wear Aiko4 things? Must experiement.

I messed about a bit with Melody on Aiko3, and she animates nicely with Mixamo, even though the upload & processing took longer than normal. I uploaded the .fbx for Aiko3, downloaded the resulting animation, and used that on Melody. Uploading Melody herself ended in an error, which I rather expected.

Here's a quite compressed .gif, since I was trying to keep the longer sequence and her range of movement while staying under 2 MB. I didn't bother adding manual animation for her tail since this was just a test. 

Post edited by firewarden on

Oh, and another question that I'm too embarrassed to ask in the commons because I've been using (or trying to use) DS for a year now... How do I get a HDRI to render? I tried draw dome, but it just came out white...

edited March 2017

I'd post it somewhere else and embed the link here. There are services that host GIFs for this exact purpose. Giffy?

http://giphy.com/upload

@donovancolbert: Thanks! That was the info I needed, that I had to host it elsewhere for it to work. 

Playing with Melody. Let's see if I can upload this.

Hmm... No idea how to upload an animated .gif and have it work.

Rats....

Wow, so cool! Did you do actual choreography on it? That is amazing! Another thing I still have to learn, animation...

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Fit Control can help wiht breasts and Sickleyield has a Clothing Smoother I think it's called, htat also helps wiht breasts.  

Does anyone know how to fix this poke through? The sleeves are for G3 on G3 and doing this weird thing and the dress is for G2 but I have wear them all plus Sickleyield's thing that added a choice for a short wide dress. I feel like I have something that is supposed to fix breast problems but I can't remember what it is called or where it is installed. The sleeve thing is just weird, there are no morphs on it at all and it's not like the model is an extreme shape... Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

I don't particularly like the dress - it's very bland, BUT I do need a clutch purse plus I like the arm jewellery. And at 78% off, I've got it in my cart waiting for the stupid DSON sale to be fixed before I pull the plug. I have a $15 gift certificate/store credit that is burning a hole in my pocket. LOL

Novica said:

Yep, the only thing I didn't buy was the bundle that had the dress in it, or the dress.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,025

Oh, and another question that I'm too embarrassed to ask in the commons because I've been using (or trying to use) DS for a year now... How do I get a HDRI to render? I tried draw dome, but it just came out white...

Did you add the HDRI to the Environment Map under the render settings?

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,071
    edited March 2017

This might help some:

Choose the item you want to fix: Parameters Tab>General>Mesh Resolution...then go to the Edit Tab at the top left of the application window.  Object>Geometry>Comvert to SubD.  Then back to the Parameters Tab and take the setting to 3-5.

With Mesh Resolution you can try to smooth it out using a higher level of SubD.  If the product has Mesh Smoothers, there will be two things you can play with along with the SubD levels; Smoothing Iterations (I sometimes set this to 7 or 8, and further down the list Collision Iterations.  Make sure the Collision item is your figure and move the dial to about 6 and go from there.  Mix that with scaling the item itself a little larger and you may get it to where it will smooth out some- along with the Fit Control option.

Post edited by DarwinsMishap on
    edited March 2017

Rats....

Wow, so cool! Did you do actual choreography on it? That is amazing! Another thing I still have to learn, animation...

Mixamo.com has thousands of mocap animations. Adobe bought them out and made everything free. You can create a animation for any character A3/H3-G2F/G2M, last time I tried I couldnt get G3F/G3M to work due to the different skeleton. (I create a separate aniamtion for each morph/character, because it works better, with the exception that Mixamo can't handle Melody directly, so I used Aiko3, her base.)

Anyway, tons of great mocaps of almost everything you can think of totally free. Makes me sorry I bought so many aniblock packages for Animate2. Because I haven't used a single one in animating a video game project, and I have a LOT of animations between all the game characters. Mixamo is WAY better than the aniblocks, imo, much better movement and did I mention there were thousands of different animations? Free is also fantastic!  

Long story short: You export an .fbx of your character from DAZ Studio, upload to Mixamo, find the animation you want, apply it to your character, export the animation from Mixamo and download, import that to DAZ Studio, then use MCasual's pose/animation copy script to apply it to your DAZ character. You can create an aniblock from that animation or use it raw if you don't plan to re-use it in other scenes. Mixamo stores each character, so you only need to upload it once. There's a chrome console script that lets you grab all the animations for each character you've uploaded to Mixamo. Then you just download them as you need them. 

The details are more detailed, lol. Which reminds me, I have to update my notes for myself. Maybe I'll sleep first. ;)

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,858
    edited March 2017

When all else fails, open it up in the Scene tab and try using Scale.  This may fix it too. (It's for clothes and moves the material around, so who knows?) 

Post edited by Novica on
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Rats....

Mixamo.com has thousands of mocap animations. Adobe bought them out and made everything free. You can create a animation for any character A3/H3-G2F/G2M, last time I tried I couldnt get G3F/G3M to work due to the different skeleton. (I create a separate aniamtion for each morph/character, because it works better, with the exception that Mixamo can't handle Melody direction, so I used Aiko3, her base.)

Anyway, tons of great mocaps of almost everything you can think of totally free. Makes me sorry I bought so many aniblock packages for Animate2. Because I haven't used a single one in animating a video game project, and I have a LOT of animations between all the game characters. Mixamo is WAY better than the aniblocks, imo, much better movement and did I mention there were thousands of different animations? Free is also fantastic!  

Long story short: You export an .fbx of your character from DAZ Studio, upload to Mixamo, find the animation you want, apply it to your character, export the animation from Mixamo and download, import that to DAZ Studio, then use MCasual's pose/animation copy script to apply it to your DAZ character. You can create an aniblock from that animation or use it raw if you don't plan to re-use it in other scenes. Mixamo stores each character, so you only need to upload it once. There's a chrome console script that lets you grab all the animations for each character you've uploaded to Mixamo. Then you just download them as you need them. 

The details are more detailed, lol. Which reminds me, I have to update my notes for myself. Maybe I'll sleep first. ;)

Oh, wow! Thanks for the details on that. Will definitely check it out. Love the animation you did!

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,858
    edited March 2017

FWSA Xavier (M7)         Buzzed Hair (Genesis / 2 / 3)            Beach Vibes Outfit (Gen3M)           Firefighter Uniform (Gen 2/3)

So nice to get characters at such a discounted price- thanks Daz!  Don't know if it was the lighting or not, but in the second image, there were no reflections in the eyes. I'm getting off the computer (6:45am) but someone else who gets Xavier, please check the eye reflections.

TIP: remember to darken light clothing when you are trying to light darker skinned people. That fireman outfit was much lighter, I darkened it so I could increase Xavier's lighting and the clothing turned out close to the original.

firefighter.png
    480 x 900 - 561K
    firefighterXavier.png
    780 x 900 - 1M
    firefighterXavierBeachVibes.png
    449 x 895 - 487K
    Post edited by Novica on
    Llynara said:

Rats....

Mixamo.com has thousands of mocap animations. Adobe bought them out and made everything free. You can create a animation for any character A3/H3-G2F/G2M, last time I tried I couldnt get G3F/G3M to work due to the different skeleton. (I create a separate aniamtion for each morph/character, because it works better, with the exception that Mixamo can't handle Melody direction, so I used Aiko3, her base.)

Oh, wow! Thanks for the details on that. Will definitely check it out. Love the animation you did!

Mixamo does 99% of the heavy lifting for sure!

Sometimes even loading the morphs, you have little corrections you need to add, so if I were going to work with this animation, I would add a correction for her feet, double-check her hands, add animation for her tail, etc. I just wanted to see if Mixamo would work out-of-the-box with Aiko3.  I'm glad, because if Melody/Micah didn't animate the same as V4-G2, I'd have returned their stuff.

If you are interested in the Mixamo animations, I can upload my "walkthrough" notes as a .pdf - if DAZ allows that type of files - after I update them. It might be tonight or tomorrow, tho.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited March 2017

@firewarden - Definitely interested! My dream is to do animated book trailers for my novels, some day. Right now I'm creating my characters and scenes from my books in 3D for promo art and book covers. After all that work, it would be nice to actually get them to move, LOL 

Oh, and I have characters across almost all the generations, so any tips are great. 

Post edited by Llynara on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

This might help some:

Choose the item you want to fix: Parameters Tab>General>Mesh Resolution...then go to the Edit Tab at the top left of the application window.  Object>Geometry>Comvert to SubD.  Then back to the Parameters Tab and take the setting to 3-5.

With Mesh Resolution you can try to smooth it out using a higher level of SubD.  If the product has Mesh Smoothers, there will be two things you can play with along with the SubD levels; Smoothing Iterations (I sometimes set this to 7 or 8, and further down the list Collision Iterations.  Make sure the Collision item is your figure and move the dial to about 6 and go from there.  Mix that with scaling the item itself a little larger and you may get it to where it will smooth out some- along with the Fit Control option.

@DarwinsMishap  I always wondered how to do that!  Thanks for sharing.  :)

@Wonderland  I use Fit Control for most things like this.  It can do wonders for fitting an outfit.  I like DM's suggestion, though, especially for those times when Fit Control might not work and there are times when those utilities just don't work in a given situation.  I never knew how to add SubD to something that didn't already have it, though, so now that's an option, too.  :)

A question - has anyone purchased Blue 2.0?  I noticed a discrepency in the surface settings for the Lavender materials and wondered if anyone else had noticed that, too?  I'll be submitting a ticket once my render is done and I can take a screenshot of the original settings and the surface settings for the other skins.  For some reason, the lavender skin has different settings than all the rest and it causes the lavender to be very matte and not match the great way the other skins look.  

I might be strange but the first thing I do with those types of products is do a render with every color available and I noticed the difference with the lavender skin right away. 

Fishtales said:

It's the default HDRI that came with DS so it's in the environment slot. Is it not possible to render it?

This might help some:

Oh, THANK YOU! That worked like a charm on both the sleeve and the dress! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Rats....

Wow, that soundscomplicated but the results are worth it. Soooo much I need to learn!

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,804

It's the default HDRI that came with DS so it's in the environment slot. Is it not possible to render i

It should render. I'd suggest clicking on the default button at the top of the Render Settings pane to restore the original Iray settings and try again. Also check that Environment Intensity is 1, Environment Map 2 and Environment Lighting Resolution is 512. It sounds like you have too much light washing out the map. If that doesn't work, post a screenshot of your Environment and Tone Mapping render settings.

edited March 2017
    Novica said:

When all else fails, open it up in the Scene tab and try using Scale.  This may fix it too. (It's for clothes and moves the material around, so who knows?) 

There was no scale option. I've noticed this on several products including hairs that I parent. It drives me crazy. But DarwinsMishap advice worked like a charm!

Post edited by Wonderland on
    Novica said:

There was no scale option. I've noticed this on several products including hairs that I parent. It drives me crazy. But DarwinsMishap advice worked like a charm!

I've noticed this lack of a scale option on quite a few of the newer products I've purchased lately.  I have to say that disturbs me as I should be able to control when and where I scale an object and it shouldn't be up to the vendor.  They have effectively taken away a valuable tool that I happen to use quite a bit.  I'm sure there must be a way to add that back in but I haven't learned how to do that yet.  I have no idea why a vendor would disable the scaling on their products.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,025
    Fishtales said:

It's the default HDRI that came with DS so it's in the environment slot. Is it not possible to render it?

It wont render as a background image as it is only for lighting so it will look as if it is all out of focus.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,551
    edited March 2017
    Fishtales said:

also make sure you do not have a background image visible in the envronment tab. That will block the hdri from showing 

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,018
    Novica said:

I've noticed this lack of a scale option on quite a few of the newer products I've purchased lately.  I have to say that disturbs me as I should be able to control when and where I scale an object and it shouldn't be up to the vendor.  They have effectively taken away a valuable tool that I happen to use quite a bit.  I'm sure there must be a way to add that back in but I haven't learned how to do that yet.  I have no idea why a vendor would disable the scaling on their products.

Just select Show Hidden Properties in the context menu of the Parameters pane to see the scale parameters that have been hidden.

Novica said:

There was no scale option. I've noticed this on several products including hairs that I

Fishtales said:
    Fishtales said:

It wont render as a background image as it is only for lighting so it will look as if it is all out of focus.

Ah, OK, thanks, so I if I plug in another HDRI, it should render...

barbult said:
    Novica said:

Just select Show Hidden Properties in the context menu of the Parameters pane to see the scale parameters that have been hidden.

Woah! See there are sooo many things I still have to learn. If some PAs or even expert users got together, they could make a great manual and it would be the best selling item in the store!

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,071

This might help some:

Oh, THANK YOU! That worked like a charm on both the sleeve and the dress! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

You're so very welcome, glad I could help!

This discussion has been closed.