Llola Lane’s RENDER A MONTH Challenge 2020 (CLOSED)

Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,009
edited January 2021 in Art Studio

This years challenge I'm calling... "Opposites Attract"  

Each month has a set of Opposites... Your artwork must have BOTH opposites in it.  
Beginner or Novice... Young or Old... Boy or Girl... get it???  lol
ALL are welcome to join.  This challenge is for fun and to keep the creative juices flowing.

ENJOY!

(to view the 2013 renders please visit… https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/27391/ )
(to view the 2014 renders please visit… https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/33447/ )
(to view the 2015 renders please visit… https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/50455/ )
(to view the 2016 renders please visit… https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/68350/ )
(to view the 2017 renders please visit… https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/137066/ )
(to view the 2018 renders please visit... https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/221616/ )
(to view the 2019 renders please visit... https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/299501/ )

There are only 2 rules…
ONLY 1 RENDER ALLOWED per PER PERSON per month (NOTE:  If you would like to do 2 renders per month... you can also post your second one on the PFDLives Thread in my corner.... Here is the linky... http://www.pfdlives.com/pfd/index.php?topic=8470)
and...
(this is only a suggestion) IT MUST BE A COMPLETELY “NEW” RENDER specifically for this challenge!!!

p.s… to keep the thread from getting too long... no WIPs please… THANK YOU!

ANY 3D program can be used!  ALL are welcome to join the challenge!

Here’s the list.. HAVE FUN!!!

"Opposites Attract" 2020

JANUARY = Hard & Soft
FEBRUARY = Hot & Cold
MARCH = Dark & Light
APRIL = Horizontal & Vertical
MAY = New & Old
JUNE = Dead & Alive
JULY = Happy & Sad
AUGUST = Wet & Dry
SEPTEMBER = Straight & Bent
OCTOBER = Open & Shut
NOVEMBER = Dirty & Clean
DECEMBER = Full & Empty

Post edited by Llola Lane on

Comments

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,009
    edited January 2020

edited January 2020

edited January 2020

On your mark... get set... GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Oh, wow! I love the theme this year.

(Putting on my thinking cap…)

L'Adair said:

Oh, wow! I love the theme this year.

(Putting on my thinking cap…)

Thanks L'Adair... I thought long and hard about it... Hopefully the list will entice peeps to join in the fun.  Can't wait to see who will be the first to post.... (waits for it......)

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942

Interesting themes!

SimonJM said:

Interesting themes!

I hope interesting in a good way Simon ;)  It will be fun to see what people come up with.  I've got my ideas sorted... ;) 

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

Nice! 12 different good opposites themes. This will be a interesting year to follow. Now to start thinking for the January theme. Let's see... Duckies are hard, kittehs are soft...devil

isidorn said:

Nice! 12 different good opposites themes. This will be a interesting year to follow. Now to start thinking for the January theme. Let's see... Duckies are hard, kittehs are soft...devil

haaa... NOW you're thinkin' isidorn ;)

• mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152

Hmm.. Some of my characters are both hard and soft.. ;)

Good themes! Got a few ideas already. Now to make them work..

mori_mann said:

Hmm.. Some of my characters are both hard and soft.. ;)

Good themes! Got a few ideas already. Now to make them work..

Wonderful Mori... Can't wait to see what you come up with :)

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

I am so loving the themes for this year Llola!!!

Now I have to put my thinking cap on for this month's theme!!

I am so loving the themes for this year Llola!!!

Now I have to put my thinking cap on for this month's theme!!

yay.. Sooo happy you like them Saph... I'll be waitin' for your post :)

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,024

I already know what I’m doing for this month, and have the item I need to complete the scene in my cart. 

Gordig said:

I already know what I’m doing for this month, and have the item I need to complete the scene in my cart. 

YAYYYY... Happy to have you join the challenge Gordig :)  I'll be waitin'

edited January 2020

I'm getting a head start this month... lol.  My first render for 2020...

"Hard Tortoise Shell and Soft Hare"

HARD SOFT 1024X1024 5minute render DONE SIGN.jpg
    1074 x 1074 - 285K
  • deeleelaw57deeleelaw57 Posts: 1,478

And the tortoise said you can run as fast as you can little bunny. When this fable ends i will still cross the finish line first. Very well done Llola Lane i like the green and the blur.

And the tortoise said you can run as fast as you can little bunny. When this fable ends i will still cross the finish line first. Very well done Llola Lane i like the green and the blur.

Yes.. they could also be used for fast and slow... If those were on the list... but I figured fast and slow would be hard to 'SHOW' in artwork.  :)  Glad you like it Dee.... Thanks for the comment :)  Happy New Year!

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,024

Opposites Attract

I consider this a draft, up to and very much including the title. I'd like to find a good set to use instead, because I don't particularly like using HDRIs generally, and the ones that I've found definitely aren't meant to be used with the camera so low to the ground, which is why the ground underneath them looks so horrible. I'd also welcome any advice on how to improve the tortoise's appearance, whether someone can point me to a higher resolution texture or just suggest shader settings to make the existing texture look better.

Turtles and bunnies (a hare and a "beach bunny") taking the lead for this month's theme. I like both takes.

Ground interaction with HDRIs are hard to get right but I've no advice on the matter. Especially since it's past 10 AM and I haven't gone to bed yet.

I see we think alike Gordig... HARD tortoise shell and SOFT mermaid scales.. Nicely done. 

I have no suggestions as I think that you posted an Iray render and I don't use Iray.  I'm a 3delight gal myself.  With my tortoise shell I turned up the bump and displacement to give it some more detail... plus I use Depth of Field a lot to make the items pop from the background.  It helps the ground look better too. 

Keep up the good work!

Ok gang... Thanks to Gordig.... we are off to a great start (if I say so myself)  Let's see those HARD & SOFT pieces of art.  Remember... post only your finished pieces of artwork.... If you tweak something throughout the month and it looks better than your original... please edit your post and delete the old artwork and exhange it for the new.  That way this thread won't get to long. ;)  Looking forward to seeing what others take on HARD & SOFT is.  (waiting......)

edited January 2020

Very well done Gordig, I'm not sure if I would change anything, I like it as it is. On second thought I would change out the turtule for me ( lucky turtle ). 

Post edited by deeleelaw57 on

Nice turtles. Those are actually hard and soft in one ;)

Here's mine: A hard stone kitty (with gem eyes, because why not?) and a soft furry one. 

mori_mann said:

Here's mine: A hard stone kitty (with gem eyes, because why not?) and a soft furry one. 

Oh YESSSSSSSSSS... Mori... You know I love kittehzzzzzzzz.... even hard and soft ones... lol.  (btw... sooo jealous of your soft one :(... great fur)  Thanks for sharing.

mori_mann said:

Oh YESSSSSSSSSS... Mori... You know I love kittehzzzzzzzz.... even hard and soft ones... lol.  (btw... sooo jealous of your soft one :(... great fur)  Thanks for sharing.

Glad you like :)

It's 3DL fur, actually, AM'white tiger for daz big cat 2 (https://www.daz3d.com/white-tiger-for-daz-big-cat-2)

That fur looks very cuddly friendly and fluffy @mori_mann . Well done! And if I was the fuffy kitteh I'd probably also aproach the hard kitteh with caution. Great posing there.

Very well done mori_mann, the soft cat pose looks wisely cautious and curious.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Just to throw Dee off, I'm entering early this month.
    wink

Forgotten

Forgotten