Llola Lane's RENDER A MONTH Challenge 2013 CLOSED!!! Please join our 2014 thread

Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,008
edited December 2015 in Art Studio

My friend and his daughter have a Themed Photography challenge every month. It's just for fun... They have been doing it for about 2 years. Since the year is more than half over I can't join their challenge.. sooo... I thought it may be nice to challenge myself to make a 3D render with their themes. :)

I'm going to start with AUGUST... This month it's LANDSCAPES... Anyone can join me if you wish.. Just post it here.

There are only 2 rules... ONLY 1 RENDER ALLOWED per PER PERSON per month and IT MUST BE A COMPLETELY "NEW" RENDER specifically for this challenge!!! eep...

p.s.... no WIPs please... to keep the thread from getting too long ;) I'll start a new thread for 2014 if this one becomes popular... THANK YOU!

Here are the challenges for the rest of the year...

August - Landscapes --- done
September - History
October - Sunrise
November - Superstitions
December - Umbrella

I best get crackin'... the month is half over!!!

Wish me luck... cross your fingers... cross toes... etc.. etc.. lol
Hope some of you join me. :) ALL are welcome!!!

To give folks a flavour of the original photo challenge that sparked off this thread please take a look at the photographic thread at http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/a-father-vs-daughter-12-for-2013-challenge.457147/

Post edited by Llola Lane on

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Cool, I love building Landscapes. Just fun to do.

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,008
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Cool, I love building Landscapes. Just fun to do.

GREAT Jaderail... I've already got mine started... Hope you can join my challenge every month... Since it's only 1 render a month... I've gotta make sure mine it perfect before I share it. Is that possible??? lol

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Did someone say Landscapes?

Or is Bryce not fair in your challenge.

edited August 2013

Hi Chohole... I'm using DAZ for my renders... but as long as it's a 3D rendering program it's fine :) Just remember only 1 render allowed per month... so make it a good one (winks)

edited December 1969

LOL, I only ever post good landscapes. I don't often blow my own trumpet, but I do rather well at landscapes. :red:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/media/folder_221/file_2205430.jpg

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,818
    edited December 1969

That was an amazing picture Cho !

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    LOL, I only ever post good landscapes. I don't often blow my own trumpet, but I do rather well at landscapes. :red:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/media/folder_221/file_2205430.jpg

giggles.. blowing your own horn is acceptable too... gotta love your own work before someone else can ;) Thanks for sharing... love the landscape... I've got Bryce but haven't used it yet.. I'm too busy trying to "master" DAZ.. ughh... lol... Hope you continue with me and try the next months challenges too... Thanks for sharing.. Happy rendering.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

so we can use any 3d program ?

edited December 1969

bigh said:

Sure bigh.. hope you can join my challenge each month... just the 2 rules above.. :) Happy rendering.

edited December 1969

llolalane said:
    bigh said:

Sure bigh.. hope you can join my challenge each month... just the 2 rules above.. :) Happy rendering.

cool - should be a fun time ;-)

edited December 1969

1 Aug. LS

1_Aug_LS.jpg
    1500 x 1250 - 839K
    edited December 1969

wow bigh.. love the landscape... what program did you use??? the grass is soo lifelike.

I best get rendering.. you all are making me look bad with no render yet... but it's only the 19th... so I have time.. :)

Thank you for sharing.

edited December 1969

llolalane said:
    wow bigh.. love the landscape... what program did you use??? the grass is soo lifelike.

I best get rendering.. you all are making me look bad with no render yet... but it's only the 19th... so I have time.. :)

Thank you for sharing.

thank you - Carrara 8.5
    be waiting for your landscape ;-)

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    llolalane said:

Thank you for sharing.

thank you - Carrara 8.5
    be waiting for your landscape ;-)

darn.. I don't have Carrara.... but it IS lovely... I've got a scene started... just need time now... i'll finish by this weekend.. I'm determined not to let the end of the month creep up on me ... lol... Thanks again for sharing :)

edited August 2013

Here you go, a simple Bryce landscape, or to be honest 3 terrains, layered procedural mats on each one and a little ground cover added to the front one .

The Mountains in Mist

Needs to been full size.

mountain_view_3.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 769K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited August 2013

Gorgeous landscape renders :-) I enjoy viewing landscapes. I have Bryce 5, awesome program, I learned alot from it.

Surely hope someone kicks off a supernatural contest, so I can enter :cheese:

Post edited by AJ2112 on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Here you go, a simple Bryce landscape, or to be honest 3 terrains, layered procedural mats on each one and a little ground cover added to the front one .

The Mountains in Mist

Needs to been full size.

Wonderful render Chohole.. thanks for sharing.. I best get my render in gear... lol.. I'll try and finish mine tonight. (crosses fingers)

edited August 2013

awesomefb said:
    Gorgeous landscape renders :-) I enjoy viewing landscapes. I have Bryce 5, awesome program, I learned alot from it.

Feel free to join us awesomefb... this is just a challenge for myself that I thought would be fun... but anyone can join me... Hope you can join us next month too..
    FYI.. you can always start your own supernatural challenge thread... I'm sure there would be others that would join you too... ;)

edited December 1969

Hello friend, thanx for the invite. I would have to blow the dust/webs off my Bryce 5 software, Lol !!!! Alway's fun to share with friends. Will do my best to join you all each month, still have alot to learn. Thanx for the info, surely could use your help in the future, when I attempt to start a supernatural challange thread. Looking forward to your renders, have fun, happy rendering ;-)

llolalane said:
    awesomefb said:

Feel free to join us awesomefb... this is just a challenge for myself that I thought would be fun... but anyone can join me... Hope you can join us next month too..
    FYI.. you can always start your own supernatural challenge thread... I'm sure there would be others that would join you too... ;)

edited August 2013

"Alien Landscape"

ok.. I didn't state the landscape had to be here on earth!!! giggles... ENJOY!

ALIEN_LANDSCAPE_2_DONE_sign.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 505K
    edited December 1969

Render is very cool, beautiful distant galaxy :-)

edited December 1969

llolalane said:
    "Alien Landscape"

what you mean Alien - looks like my back yard :-)

edited December 1969

awesomefb said:

thanks awesomefb.. the galaxy is from THE HEART OF SPACE... http://www.daz3d.com/the-heart-of-space if you wanna grab it. ENJOY :)

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    llolalane said:
    "Alien Landscape"

what you mean Alien - looks like my back yard :-)

LOL.. you got alien growth taking over your back yard??? eep... lol

edited December 1969

Hi Liola, I love viewing space renders, I watch alot of space shows, thanx for the link, surely will purchase in the future. Look forward to more renders, happy rendering.

llolalane said:
    awesomefb said:

thanks awesomefb.. the galaxy is from THE HEART OF SPACE... http://www.daz3d.com/the-heart-of-space if you wanna grab it. ENJOY :)

• edited August 2013

Just a WIP, low resolution, low shading rate. I'll need to split that one into groups! I'm also wondering whether I should add a fairy or something on the leaning tree... or not.

Software: DAZ Studio 4.6, with some serious kit-bashing (which I've just started playing with): rocky outcrop, versatile terrain, ponte maggiore, lisas botanicals ferns & curious proliferation, le village tree pack, cygen dragon's tower, my own leaf texture for some of the cygen trees, a trunk from the Woodland Realms playset... oh and the ground from Luna portal. I think that's it.

Post edited by raindrop_1ff71f4538 on
  • edited August 2013

I've tweaked it a bit more. Added the fairy / elf-thinggie lady. It's still only a test; I've since adjusted the position of the tree slightly, as it was floating above the sand pad. I haven't rendered that yet.
    And for comparison, the first WIP with default materials and a simple UberEnv set. o.O

Post edited by raindrop_1ff71f4538 on
    edited December 1969

Looking great so far Raindrop Drinkwater ... just remember to delete your WIPs from this thread when you are finished... I'm looking for 1 render a month per person so the thread doesn't get littered... I can't wait to see the finished piece... Thanks for sharing :)

• edited December 1969

Thanks :) I've now discovered the awesomeness of Xfrog trees, so the background has changed a bit. I've also switched the flashlight pointed at the character for an UberArea light with a "splotchy" texture in the light colour map. I'm not sure how much difference it'll make; it does look softer on the preview renders.

Btw, sorry, I hadn't realised I couldn't post WIPs in here. I'll delete them now. :) I won't have time to finish the render this month, unfortunately. I'll post the final render in a separate thread.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

As Promised.... Kit Bashed set. Using Firstbaston's The Steppes x2 parts of Spiral Decent and different plants from LisaB.

Title: Watching for the Spring herds.

A_FireLight.png
    1000 x 1300 - 3M