Llola Lane’s RENDER A MONTH Challenge 2020 (CLOSED)

Comments

• deeleelaw57deeleelaw57 Posts: 1,478

When I look at your work L'Adair I need to remember two things. 1. Put down the coffee, 2. Prepare for a big smile. I followed the rules today and had a pleasent and charming viewing. As for timing, very good, October last year it was two days later ( October 8 ) and you were first. But all that aside thank you for a very well done render and a big early morning smile.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,172
    isidorn said:

Ground interaction with HDRIs are hard to get right but I've no advice on the matter. Especially since it's past 10 AM and I haven't gone to bed yet.

The problem isn’t ground interaction, but the appearance of the ground itself. Since HDRIs are 2D photographs rather than 3D models, the camera perspective is an inextricable part of the image. The overwhelming majority of HDRIs (including the one I used for my render) are taken at roughly human eye height, so moving the 3D camera closer to the ground distorts the image. 

edited January 2020

Spoiled Thistle

One scratching post, one huge ball of yarn, one plate of sushi, one very happy very spoiled kitty.

Spoiled Thistle.jpg
    1536 x 1344 - 344K
    Post edited by deeleelaw57 on
  • Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,063
    mori_mann said:
    mori_mann said:

Nice turtles. Those are actually hard and soft in one ;)

Here's mine: A hard stone kitty (with gem eyes, because why not?) and a soft furry one. 

Oh YESSSSSSSSSS... Mori... You know I love kittehzzzzzzzz.... even hard and soft ones... lol.  (btw... sooo jealous of your soft one :(... great fur)  Thanks for sharing.

Glad you like :)

It's 3DL fur, actually, AM'white tiger for daz big cat 2 (https://www.daz3d.com/white-tiger-for-daz-big-cat-2)

Hey... I have that cat!!!  lol... Guess I need to work out a render with it.  See if it blows up my machine!  lol

L'Adair said:

Just to throw Dee off, I'm entering early this month.
    wink

Forgotten

LOTS of hard things in that room L'Adair... but the nice soft cuddly bear invites a hug ;)  Well done.  Thanks for sharing.

Spoiled Thistle

One scratching post, one huge ball of yarn, one plate of sushi, one very happy very spoiled kitty.

ooooooooooooo I want what's on that plate Dee... I wonder if it's Hard candy or Soft?  hum... On second thought... doesn't matter... I like ALL candy... LOL.  Thanks oodles for joining the challenge again this year.  I'm smilin' at all the wonderful artwork so far :) 

Spoiled Thistle

ooooooooooooo I want what's on that plate Dee... I wonder if it's Hard candy or Soft?  hum... On second thought... doesn't matter... I like ALL candy... LOL.  Thanks oodles for joining the challenge again this year.  I'm smilin' at all the wonderful artwork so far :) 

Oh. I just read.. it's sushi... (turns up nose)... never mind... yick!!!  You can have my share.

Thank you Llola Lane, as for your share of sushi, Thistle may have something to say about that.

•  @Llola Lane What a great image to start the year! The turtle and bunny are adorable, I can even see a smile on the turtle face!

@Gordig I like this! Very nice image, great work.

@mori_mann Cool idea and so well done! I love your furry kitty!

@L'Adair That's adorable! So much details. And you made me discover the dforce cobweb!

@deeleelaw57 Thinking out of the box! Very good image.

@Llola Lane What a great image to start the year! The turtle and bunny are adorable, I can even see a smile on the turtle face!

@Gordig I like this! Very nice image, great work.

@mori_mann Cool idea and so well done! I love your furry kitty!

@L'Adair That's adorable! So much details. And you made me discover the dforce cobweb!

@deeleelaw57 Thinking out of the box! Very good image.

Thank you xmasrose... Can't wait to see what others come up with this month.  :)

• xmasrose (aka tulipe)xmasrose (aka tulipe) Posts: 1,403
    edited January 2020

Will the worm escape? What do you think?

(The hard beak against the soft worm)

20_will the worm escape.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 353K
    Post edited by xmasrose (aka tulipe) on

Will the worm escape? What do you think?

(The hard beak against the soft worm)

Oh WOW xmasrose... Love the lighting!  ... and nope... The worm is... BREAKFAST!!!  lol.  Thanks for sharing.

Thank you xmasrose.

I agree with Llola Lane with a big WOW. I almost feel bad for the worm but I do feel happy for the bird. Well done xmasrose.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086

Excellent, xmasrose!

Dana

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648
    edited January 2020

Hard Lesson and Soft Heart

Hard Lesson and Soft Heart.png
    900 x 720 - 1M
    Post edited by Saphirewild on

Hard Lesson and Soft Heart

soooo touching Saph... Thank you for sharing.  Great take on the theme this month... :)

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,796

After month of absense from this challenge I finally got a render squeezed in, that has nothign to do with the comic

So I made a metaphor for all the drama and pushed that stilett into the cusion

Kipling would be proud Saphirewild, Very well done

Did miss you last month Linwelly but this art was well worth the wait. Wonderful Work.

• Thank you very much @Llola Lane, @deeleelaw57 and @DanaTA  I am happy you liked it.

Great image and story @Saphirewild

Wonderful image full of drama @Linwelly

Linwelly said:

After month of absense from this challenge I finally got a render squeezed in, that has nothign to do with the comic

So I made a metaphor for all the drama and pushed that stilett into the cusion

Although I'm loving your comic Linwelly... THANK YOU for taking the time to create something for this challenge.  I know it keeps you very busy.  I don't know HOW you do it!  (applause)

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601
    edited January 2020

Varied and interesting renders all around so far.smiley 

I've had many ideas for what to do for this month. As usual, the final result became something completely different...

The Collector

...adding another one to the collection

TheCollector (2).jpg
    2500 x 2000 - 402K
    Post edited by isidorn on

Stuffed furry toys for the tin man, well done isidorn

• A very good image @isidorn great atmosphere!

isidorn said:

Varied and interesting renders all around so far.smiley 

I've had many ideas for what to do for this month. As usual, the final result became something completely different...

The Collector

...adding another one to the collection

Really best zoomed in.... ;)  Gotta love those happy accidents Isidorn.  Lots of hard and soft pieces to enjoy in your artwork.  I think I have a few of those stuffed toys.  :)  Thanks for sharing.

• @L'Adair Where did you get the teddy? I want!

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited January 2020

@L'Adair Where did you get the teddy? I want!

@wmiller314, It's a kitbash of the bear that comes with Solitaire by meipe.

The button eyes and the claws are from Deaddy Bear. I exported a single claw and imported it back into DS, where I applied dForms to adjust the claws to something less horror genre and instanced it for the rest of the claws. The nose was "borrowed" from Mokie, the bonus plushie that comes with Slosh's ColorWerks Hair Shaders for Iray. I used the Geometry Editor Tool to create a new material zone for the feet. The mesh of the front paws wasn't round, so I created a flattened sphere for those. Anything that wasn't already Iray was converted using the Iray Uber Base. I then used DG Iray Fur with shorter fur for the inside of the ears, and all four paws. The claws include a small "pad" which also has the same fur as the "feet". The "threads" for the mouth is one small flattened sphere instanced over 50 times and placed side-by-side following the indent from the original mesh.

You can use any one of the fur shaders on the various teddy bears available here and elsewhere to get something similar. The longer the fur, though, the more the eyes and nose get lost. That's why I had to resort to other products for those.

On the other hand, if you use 3Delight, the bear from Solitaire will work nicely right "out of the box."

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • nattaruknattaruk Posts: 524
    edited January 2020

Hi All,

Llola Lane Great interpretation of an instructive old story.

Gordig Good render. I'm also not too keen on HDRIs myself, but, nevertheless, I think this idea is strong enough to make things work anyway.

(Adds tortoise to wishlist)

mori_mann Lovely! The gem eyes are great.

L'Adair  Love the colour palette here and the lighting is great. Very nostalgic feel.

deeleelaw57 Kitties are meant to be spoiled!!

xmasrose (aka tulipe) Superb! I don't think the worm will escape though...

Saphirewild Aww, touching render.

Linwelly I'm getting a strong book cover vibe from this; historical romance with added intrigue?

isidorn Interesting collection! Fascinating contrast between hard and soft.

Here's my attempt: Hard and Soft

Hard jewels; soft hold.

As usual rendered in 3Delight.

Post edited by nattaruk on

Put your hand in the hand. very well done nattaruk

• What a wonderful idea @nattaruk. This tells a touching story.

Seems nobody gives a chance to the worm!

• ZateticZatetic Posts: 284
    edited January 2020

The Pillow Fort Battles were a series of epic conflicts between dinosaurs, kaiju and robots that erupted on a regular basis within the creative mind of a young boy. Such battles were always observed by softer entities from whom comfort could always be counted on between battles.

Hard: SRB 800, Ankylosaurus and Dragon Turtle.    Soft: Puffball, stuffed toy dog, and Snorlax

Post edited by Zatetic on