Dain 8

Comments

• alex86firealex86fire Posts: 1,130

@Leana and @nemesis10 thanks!

@Lindsey the render looks great but Dain looks really weird. What is up with those trap muscles. They look weird. The closest I found to that weird shape is this but even these muscles (as weird as they look) have a more natural shape and come on a much bigger body. They should go more towards the sides and not so much towards the top. Do we have morphs to change their shape?

@vwrangler Dain 8 and his pro bundle and now fantasy bundle look great to me but alsmot everything seems rushed. From some finishing touches to make the products great to the presentation and the missing promo images.

Did Daz ever release updates or corrections for already released products for free? Because it seems like there should be some for this pack.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033

Fixes for broken content, sure. Updates to add features are not likely though.

• Funny, I am seeing comments about how many people disliked the Dain 8 Pro Bundle items, but do like today's Medieval items. I am the exact opposite! I preferred the military modern props, and had little to no interest in the medieval fantasy items! More interesting world when we have variety! smiley

• necroscensionnecroscension Posts: 106
    edited January 2020

Funny, I am seeing comments about how many people disliked the Dain 8 Pro Bundle items, but do like today's Medieval items. I am the exact opposite! I preferred the military modern props, and had little to no interest in the medieval fantasy items! More interesting world when we have variety! smiley

I think it's gone from general dislike to utter disappointment with the poor quality of the items. I'm usually a positive person but even I'm severely disappointed with the pro bundle after trying to use items from it.

Post edited by necroscension on
  • Funny, I am seeing comments about how many people disliked the Dain 8 Pro Bundle items, but do like today's Medieval items. I am the exact opposite! I preferred the military modern props, and had little to no interest in the medieval fantasy items! More interesting world when we have variety! smiley

I think it's gone from general dislike to utter disappointment with the poor quality of the items. I'm usually a positive person but even I'm severely disappointed with the pro bundle after trying to use items from it.

I agree that the quality was poor on some of the items. Was excited when I saw the Mercenary Outfit, but after purchasing it I am quite disappointed that the material zones seems chaotic, etc. I am hoping (maybe in vain!) that Daz pick up on the level of dissatisfaction, learn a lesson and possibly update the items sooner rather than later. Then again, maybe I am being too optimistic! surprise

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Funny, I am seeing comments about how many people disliked the Dain 8 Pro Bundle items, but do like today's Medieval items. I am the exact opposite! I preferred the military modern props, and had little to no interest in the medieval fantasy items! More interesting world when we have variety! smiley

+1

Dain 8 looks good, a typical base figure with lots of material options, etc. But I'm dumbfounded Manu ever got past QA with the materials issue at his navel. And with no material options, these characters are little more than shape morphs, one per product. GyspyAngel did a shape morph pack of several males that Daz turned down, some time back, (they're available at the otheR store now,) then they turn around and feature these two figures in a Pro pack!?

Of the clothing, I've only tinkered with the mercenary and bouncer outfits. I went no further with the merc outfit than to come up with a work around for removing the smile button on the vest. I was more interested in the bouncer suit. And what a huge disappointment that one is. I've never seen mesh for a pair of pants before that was solid at the waist. My expectations have lowered considerably for the other two outfits.

I've yet to try either hair.

At this point, I'm wondering if the bundle was actually worth the price, in spite of the free products I also received… And I'm one of those always clamoring for more male content. I'd be delighted with this bundle, if the products lived up to a reasonable expectation of Daz quality.

• Anyone else unable to download/install any of the Fantasy Bundle items? I have a ticket placed, but only the bundle shows in my library, but none of the items are available to download or install through IM. I know it's still early (it's 5:21AM for me), but you'd think THAT at least that would be working...

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,047
    edited January 2020

So I took a stab at Mattifying Dain 8...

Still working on the nose and such with my various morph packs, but this is probably the closest I've ever gotten to accurately replicating a face.  Figured that some of the ladies around here might appreciate the underwear model theme...  Still tweaking away at this one.

I'm looking into finding more asymmetrical face morphs for G8M at the moment.  Mesh grabber tends to grab everything in it's sphere of influence, so trying to bump up/down part of an eyelid and such is problematic.  As you can see from the comparison pic, Matt's face has a bit of assymetry to it, which makes this more of a challenge.  BTW, I swapped out Dain's textures for default G8M textures, which seems to work pretty well with some translucency and color parameter adjustments.

Matt has a bit of a dad bod, so dialing Dain's body down to 50 doesn't look too bad at all.

This is probably a bit too close to Matt, so I might run into issues if I were to share this morph.  Not sure if I should or how I would best go about it, as there's the 'base' figure to take into account.  In any case, if others are thinking of 'Mattifying' Dain 8, consider this a test case.

Matt_DainG8M.jpg
    800 x 779 - 112K
    Post edited by tj_1ca9500b on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    Odaa said:
    daveso said:

Whats that huge waist thing on the flightsuit? he have a tight packed parachute in his crotch or what? 

Cybersox said:

Has nobody mentioned the Smiley face on the Mercenary's vest yet? 

edit - whops, yes they have, though they called it a Watchman Button, even though the shot-Smile preceeded that comic by years...

The Watchman button has a blood splatter across the button's right eye from the Comedian's nose injuries. Until he was killed, his smiley button was just that: a traditional smiley. It is different from the shot-in-the-head smiley. The button on the merc vest is also just a bloodsplatter near the button's left eye, much like the Watchman Button.

Here's the flight suit on a Michael 8 body.

Perhaps I mistakenly think of flight suits as more similar to jumpsuits, because this is fairly bulky to me. There is a wearable preset for the whole set. The suit is one piece and the patches on the shoulder and chest are separate, which is nice if you don't want your character to be a member of any branch of the United State's military. He is wearing the eyewear from the merc outfit.

laugh 

My first thought was "corset" (or back brace, if you prefer), and the kind of chaps-like (in the cowboy sense) outer layers on the legs kind of give the same vibe: something to give him support when standing up and walking after being cramped in one position for hours, and maybe double as light armor when he's in his fighter jet or whatever.

I don't know all the designs & varients of those designs but those suits, as hinted at by other posters, pressurize to keep g-forces from blacking out pilots as easily.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813

Plus most of Manu's maps are TIFFs instead of jpegs, giving us over a GB of image data, and nearly all of the normals for Daniel are TIFFs. You'd think these would have been better optimized.

Well, to be vaguely fair about that, several characters -- especially Name-and-number characters -- have TIFF normals, although the other textures are usually JPEG or sometimes PNG. TIFF normals provide uncompressed details, when desired. Heaven only knows why all of Manu's textures are TIFFs -- may depend on what they had as sources to work with.

(... there's a DUF file in Manu's texture directory. Why is there a DUF in there?)

All of the clothing seems to use TGA maps for at least some, if not all, of their textures.

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

After all these comments I'm utterly glad I didn't even think about buying this bundle...

But I'm still interested very much in The Fighter which looks like the most useful figure of the Dain Pack for me... So could someone please do a render of him and possibly without Dain being dialed in? Pretty please... ^^

Not bad at all :)

• genarisgenaris Posts: 313

@Leana and @nemesis10 thanks!

@Lindsey the render looks great but Dain looks really weird. What is up with those trap muscles. They look weird. The closest I found to that weird shape is this but even these muscles (as weird as they look) have a more natural shape and come on a much bigger body. They should go more towards the sides and not so much towards the top. Do we have morphs to change their shape?

@vwrangler Dain 8 and his pro bundle and now fantasy bundle look great to me but alsmot everything seems rushed. From some finishing touches to make the products great to the presentation and the missing promo images.

Did Daz ever release updates or corrections for already released products for free? Because it seems like there should be some for this pack.

+1 about those trap muscles!   That's a trend among the manufacturers, it seems, morphing up bigger and freakier traps/necks on models and I'm sooo hating it.  It's one thing for so many of the monster characters to have necks like pyramids or boat sails - hey, they're monsters, not humans! :)  -- but on actual human males these things look like carnival grotesques.  But, shape/morph aside, I'm thinking I will buy the Dain character just because the skin looks pretty realistic and well done in the promos.... and just use some other character's shape. :)     
        ~Gen

After all these comments I'm utterly glad I didn't even think about buying this bundle...

Honestly, it there wasn't all the content I got free with the bundle I'd seriousy consider returning it and getting only Dain and maybe the military hair instead...

• AsariAsari Posts: 703
    edited January 2020
    Damn I love almost everything in the fantasy bundle and also the suit outfit that debuted today! Why doesn't DAZ offer a separate fantasy bundle for Dain for those who don't render military? I like Dain the character and the new fantasy / medieval themed stuff but without the pro bundle I get no offer and especially, no base character. And buying the pro bundle when I won't be rendering anything else in that bundle? No.

I guess I will get the fantasy bundle nonetheless, I like the stuff and they look nice. I will get the character separately then ... with a later deal, who knows.

Post edited by Asari on
  • Leana said:

Honestly, it there wasn't all the content I got free with the bundle I'd seriousy consider returning it and getting only Dain and maybe the military hair instead...

Same here, Leana

• So I took a stab at Mattifying Dain 8...

Still working on the nose and such with my various morph packs, but this is probably the closest I've ever gotten to accurately replicating a face.  Figured that some of the ladies around here might appreciate the underwear model theme...  Still tweaking away at this one.

I'm looking into finding more asymmetrical face morphs for G8M at the moment.  Mesh grabber tends to grab everything in it's sphere of influence, so trying to bump up/down part of an eyelid and such is problematic.  As you can see from the comparison pic, Matt's face has a bit of assymetry to it, which makes this more of a challenge.  BTW, I swapped out Dain's textures for default G8M textures, which seems to work pretty well with some translucency and color parameter adjustments.

Matt has a bit of a dad bod, so dialing Dain's body down to 50 doesn't look too bad at all.

This is probably a bit too close to Matt, so I might run into issues if I were to share this morph.  Not sure if I should or how I would best go about it, as there's the 'base' figure to take into account.  In any case, if others are thinking of 'Mattifying' Dain 8, consider this a test case.

Looks really good. Funny thing, it looks like a guy in one of my college classes. Now I'm going to be thinking Matt Damon when I see him...

• Kaye KayeKaye Kaye Posts: 210
    edited January 2020

I like Dain, the bundle? Yep, not so much. But it got me 2 G8's I'd had my eye on for a while, as well as cutting down my wishlist. *shrug*

Putting this together, I seem to have accidentally Bruce Willis'd, which is why I left him bald, lol

Now to get onto work that pays the pennies!

dain_1.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 882K
    Post edited by Kaye Kaye on
  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,251
    Timbales said:

I'm not going to return it because I want to support male content, but my gosh the only good thing about the bundle is Dain himself. I am a sad panda. sad

I've been a Daz customer for over 16 years now, my days of buying something I think is substandard 'to support male content' are past. From what I have seen, it only perpetuates the 'eh, good enough' attitude in it's production. That's just my opinion, everyone should spend their money how they see fit. 

I do agree in part, but since I got two other pro bundles that had more stuff in them that is better/I'll use, I'll take it as a wash and just be done with daz at this point. I'm sure when Victoria 9 eventually comes out with "super realistic boob bounce and glute squish" the males will be pushed aside anyways. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I think the male figures are great. It's the modern male clothing that usually falls short in terms of looking real to me - especially when it comes to anything with a tailored shirt collar, necktie and coat lapels.
  • Anyone else unable to download/install any of the Fantasy Bundle items? I have a ticket placed, but only the bundle shows in my library, but none of the items are available to download or install through IM. I know it's still early (it's 5:21AM for me), but you'd think THAT at least that would be working...

Yes. Ticket raised. 

• beanbean Posts: 19
    edited January 2020

After playing around a bit, Dain is a pretty solid addition to the boys but by far best is the skin texture and the HD addon love the veins details in there quick render of the details (not on Dain, I wanted to see how well it looks on others )

Dain details (2).jpg
    1334 x 2160 - 416K
    Post edited by bean on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Although I like fantasy I really can use the contemporary soldier gear, so i am not sorry they were added to the pro bundle. 

• And to think the old argument that male goods are of the same quality as females and that we must just buy more to change the sales dynamics of men's goods because they just don't sell as well. Though this is true, and we all know the valid reason for this, Dain's bundle is a prime example as to why they might not sell so well. Thus it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. I do like Dain though...he is really quite excellent IMO. Ruben and Nikolai are of the excelent quality you'd come to expect from the PA's. But the promos for the clothes are probably some of the worst I have seen. The fantasy clothing is very cool though. The HD add-on is really great work as well. I'll probably lose my discounts soon from being an avid Pro Bundle buyer because I just can't justify the money spent on items in the Pro version that I don't like. Hopefully Daz one day comes up with a Pick-A-Pro Bundle option that let's you choose what you want in a bundle. If the release came with the fantasy clothing they could have sold this alot better.

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,114

I only wanted Dain, but I got the pro bundle instead because of the freebies, which included Elithia 8 Pro, her HD, and the cross-figure kit, among others.

This fantasy bundle is nice, but not sure if I'll pick it up later.

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,026

I really like Dain, the hairs and some of the characters and the offer was too good to pass up! So the way I'm looking at it is that I bought Dain, his HD-Addon, Jenni 8 Pro, Zelara 9 Pro, Ellithia 8 HD Add on as well as some poses I had on my wishlist for an amazing price. While things in Dain's Pro-bundle as well as shaders, outfit textures and light sets were the free bonus. That way, I don't feel as disappointed with the Pro Bundled outfits.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

Wow, that looks great! I did end up getting the bundle just for the freebies but haven't tried anything yet, so at least this is promising.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,750
    edited January 2020

But I'm still interested very much in The Fighter which looks like the most useful figure of the Dain Pack for me... So could someone please do a render of him and possibly without Dain being dialed in? Pretty please... ^^

@maidecker, I did the renders of The Fighter, with the Alt version on the left and the main version on the right, 100% dialed into Dain 8. The second render is both of them with Dain dialed out completely. What I noticed as the dial moved, was the chins, besides the bodies changing.

Mary

Alt The Fighter for Dain 8 and The Fighter for Dain 8 with 100 percent Dain.png
    1600 x 1600 - 2M
    Alt The Fighter for Dain 8 and The Fighter for Dain 8 without Dain.png
    1600 x 1600 - 2M
    Post edited by memcneil70 on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

contemplating the nikolai add on for a major character in my story. 
    not sure if is lighting and shadow, his skin color is a stark contrast on lower torso?

I'm doing a baywatch kind of scene, it's a major detail.

has anyone rendered him in even lighting?

Thanks.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440

Probably because the quality of the stuff released yesterday makes me think of Rendo circa 2001 and the fantasy stuff, by well established PA's is light years ahead of it in quality and presentation.

But that's just my never humble opinion.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674

January fools joke?