Dain 8

18910111214»

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

My first post here on Daz in a long while. Testing Dain out with my own head morph! Love his textures. Rendered with Iray 

You are a good scultptor.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

can that dfur hairy chest convert to mesh hair somehow?

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Mystarra said:

can that dfur hairy chest convert to mesh hair somehow?

I believe if you hide everything else, you can export SBH as an OBJ. It might be possible with dForce Hair, if you set up the parameters to show 3 sides in the viewport. However, I'm pretty sure it's not possible to convert either SBH or dForce Hair to fibermesh.

• alex86firealex86fire Posts: 1,130

Does anyone have any idea how to fix the creases on the Dain skin under the pecs?

Normally it would not be a problem to fix them in Gimp but because of the hair chest I don't think I could fix them without messing it.

Chest creases.png
    1500 x 843 - 2M
  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,251

Does anyone have any idea how to fix the creases on the Dain skin under the pecs?

Normally it would not be a problem to fix them in Gimp but because of the hair chest I don't think I could fix them without messing it.

Is it part of the skin texture? Or is it the normal map?
  • Phoenix1966Phoenix1966 Posts: 1,562
    edited February 2020

Looking at Dain's HD morphs, there are creases under the pecs. Did you render with those morphs?

Post edited by Phoenix1966 on

Unfortunately it is part of the map.

I did have the HD morph turned on to 50% but even at 0% it still shows. Especially since it is also part of normal map, bump map and so on.

This image is with 0% HD morph.

Part of skin map.PNG
    1762 x 802 - 2M
    0 % morph.PNG
    1808 x 932 - 4M
    edited February 2020

With that detail so deeply ingrained in the character (all texture maps and HD add-on morphs), I think your options are limited to: trying to fix it yourself (which I understand you would rather not attempt), submitting a ticket asking for all textures and morphs to be changed (which I don't see Daz doing), living with it (and fixing it in postwork) or returning the purchases.

Sorry for just stating what you probably already knew. sad

With that detail so deeply ingrained in the character (all texture maps and HD add-on morphs), I think you're options are limited to: trying to fix it yourself (which I understand you would rather not attempt), submitting a ticket asking for all textures and morphs to be changed (which I don't see Daz doing), living with it (and fixing it in postwork) or returning the purchases.

While I don't like the crease so much, the rest of the skin is amazing. 

In my opinion, by far the best skin male or female I own in Daz and I own quite a few of the Pro Bundles.

There are 2 problems I see with the maps that I don't understand:

1. They don't have a no crease version if they really wanted to have it more visible with the maps. It makes the skin not usable for a lot of character types.

2. They don't have a no hair on the chest version. Even though they have an option to have hair chest as geometry, the one on the chest will still be there from the maps as well. 

I don't understand this decision. I will submit a ticket asking them for clean map versions as well. I won't have high hopes for it, but if there's a chance why not.

Either way, this is still a great skin for the characters that it fits, too bad that with the mentioned shortcomings it doesn't fit a whole lot of characters.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited February 2020

i happy with the creases

in carrara i lower the  ambient occlusion distance to get more shadow contouring.

does iray hav an occlusion setting you could do the opposite?  it should decrease the shadow gathering

Post edited by Mistara on

Unfortunately it is part of the map.

I did have the HD morph turned on to 50% but even at 0% it still shows. Especially since it is also part of normal map, bump map and so on.

This image is with 0% HD morph.

Those creases are not modeled in. I checked. And I verified the HD morphs are not adding in any creases, as well.

What you are seeing is from the Normal Maps. The creases are the same with and without the veins. As far as I know, there are only two "easy" options to remove those: 1) Use the preset to remove the normals altogether, or 2) modify the normal maps to reduce/remove the creases. How easy the second option is depends on your experience with an image editor. (You could also reduce the strength of the normals in the material zone, but you'd need to do it for all of the skin materials.)

Maybe someone with more experience with Daz Studio will know of another option.

With that detail so deeply ingrained in the character (all texture maps and HD add-on morphs), I think you're options are limited to: trying to fix it yourself (which I understand you would rather not attempt), submitting a ticket asking for all textures and morphs to be changed (which I don't see Daz doing), living with it (and fixing it in postwork) or returning the purchases.

While I don't like the crease so much, the rest of the skin is amazing. 

In my opinion, by far the best skin male or female I own in Daz and I own quite a few of the Pro Bundles.

There are 2 problems I see with the maps that I don't understand:

1. They don't have a no crease version if they really wanted to have it more visible with the maps. It makes the skin not usable for a lot of character types.

2. They don't have a no hair on the chest version. Even though they have an option to have hair chest as geometry, the one on the chest will still be there from the maps as well. 

I don't understand this decision. I will submit a ticket asking them for clean map versions as well. I won't have high hopes for it, but if there's a chance why not.

Either way, this is still a great skin for the characters that it fits, too bad that with the mentioned shortcomings it doesn't fit a whole lot of characters.

That's an awful lot of hair to try to remove digitally without ruining the textures.

One of the problems with male figures/characters is getting materials for them. A real person has to be willing to shed their inhibitions along with their clothing to be photographed in minute detail. Apparently women are more willing. Anyway, the man who allowed himself to be photographed for the resources the artist purchased to create Dain's materials was apparently unwilling to do a full body wax, too. (Can't say that I blame him.)

And as I mentioned above, the creases can be essentially eliminated with a bit of work on the normal maps. Or by just turning those off.

edited February 2020

I don't know what else to call them but "creases". This is the default G8M with a simple grey surface. Dain HD morphs at 100%, subD at 3.

crease.jpg
    1068 x 629 - 64K
  • jjmainorjjmainor Posts: 479
    Those are scars from the lipo surgery to correct his gyno...

That darned subD gets me every time. I forget you have to really crank it up to see it in the viewport, even in Iray preview mode. I did a side-by-side comparison render with the dev G8M.

Left to right: Base G8M, Base G8M with Dain 8 Normals w/Veins applied, Base G8M with Dain 8 HD at 100% & Render subD at 5

Base vs Normal Map vs HD at subD 5

And here's the same scene with the torso normal map modified to minimize the creases. With more time, I expect I could minimize the creases and keep more of the skin detail.

Base vs Modified Normal Map vs HD at subD 5

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    jjmainor said:
    Those are scars from the lipo surgery to correct his gyno...

Less cynically: Dain's's pretty clearly meant to be an older guy, albeit one in phenomenal shape. That's apparent when you look at the clay render of his HD vs non-HD face. (As I said elsewhere, I've never seen a difference that stark between HD and non-HD before.)

Dain 8 HD

And, well ... older guys sag. Even when they're in truly spectacular physical shape, as he would seem to be.

I would imagine that the person who was the photographic source for the texture was (a) lightly hairy and (b) lightly sagging. So to speak.

Who knows? Maybe this is one of those things like Reby Sky, and they just stuck the guy in a really big 360-degree scanner, and what you see is what he was, texture, body shape and all. (Granting that Reby Sky was a special case.)

Thank you all for your suggestions. Special thanks to @L'Adair for showing me how important normal maps are.

These are the results in order:

Before, modified just normal map, modified both normal and diffuse.

The results are already pretty good. I'll go down the list and modify the rest of the maps and clean a little more but I'm already happy. A subtle mark is decent compared to the original scars.

with_scars.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    no_scars_normal.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    no_scars.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,691

I loooooooooove Dain 8's skin!!!!! Now to try to recreate its type on some of the other Core skins. First up, I'll try Tristan.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158
    edited February 2020

This is a mix of Dain 8 and Manu morphs. The skin is Dain's. I went to considerable trouble to isolate the geometry sections of that Bouncer Suit so I could create new surfaces so I could apply shaders. I also used Mesh Grabber quite a bit to reduce mesh distortions around the collar, lapels, buttons, and pocket square. The pants of this suit are particularly awful in the crotch area when posed. I used Mesh Grabber and a lot of smoothing on them. 

Manu Dain Mercenary Bouncer Outfit_011 Poppy.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,691
    barbult said:

This is a mix of Dain 8 and Manu morphs. The skin is Dain's. I went to considerable trouble to isolate the geometry sections of that Bouncer Suit so I could create new surfaces so I could apply shaders. I also used Mesh Grabber quite a bit to reduce mesh distortions around the collar, lapels, buttons, and pocket square. The pants of this suit are particularly awful in the crotch area when posed. I used Mesh Grabber and a lot of smoothing on them. 

Wow! Thanks for the inspiration. That looks pretty decent. Maybe I'll spend a few hours with the Geometry Editor to do the same. Great job with the Mesh Grabber. I need to practice!

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    barbult said:

You have way more patience than I would! Great image, though, the bright colors on the door and wall give it kind of a sixties spy-fi vibe, more the comic-booky Italian stuff than the British James Bond wannabes.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

I'm still floored that DAZ allowed such a mess of a suit to be released in the first place.  YIKES!  Looks very good with your improvements!  

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Dain posing for his new movie promos.

• EJWorksEJWorks Posts: 483
    Daventaki said:

Dain posing for his new movie promos.

Awesome
  • At least it's a guy. 

Also, is it just me or does he look kind of like John Cena?

I can't see what you're talking about. Also the Dain 8 page is Blank to me.