Dain 8

Comments

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

The deals with the purple banners were way too good to pass up! I ended up with 3 G8 Pro bundles plus a ton of other deals for $45. 

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,047
    edited January 2020
    Leana said:

Okay, I took a second look at the promo thanks to the mention here about two free pro bundles.(Thank you to Daveso). All that really interested me about Dain was Griff. Kalen looks nice too, though. But I realized that the deal offers two other Gen8 pro bundles in addition to Dain. Three recent pro bundles along with a few wish list items and a few "whatever, I could maybe use that sometime" items made it worth doing.

I did fail to put in the DAIN-20 code for 20% off the Daz Originals. :-( But I only chose two of the 2.20 items so I guess that's negligible. 

Wait, what? The banner I got included one additional Pro bundle for free. So you buy the Dain 8 bundle plus one add-on and you get another Pro bundle for free. 

It's in addition to the "regular" promo for Dain, which gives you a free bundle for buying Dain Pro Bundle and one add-on. So you get one from the banner and one from the regular promo.

I didn't even realize you get one from the regular promo...I am so ticked. I only got one. 

*edit* Oh wait, it says "select G2 or G3 bundle"...I already have all the G3 bundles, so I guess it's not so bad. I would have been really ticked if it was two G8 bundles. 

I'd suggest opening a customer service ticket noting that you 'missed' the part about the second bundle.  I've made a similar mistake on a past sale, and CS was nice enough to add the missing item to my library.  In my case it was a HD morph that was supposed to be free with the bundle, but the concept is the same.

Sure, you are probably looking at some old G2 bundle, but can't hurt to ask!  I actually get pretty good mileage out of my G2 bundles.  As characters go, Aiko 6 is probably my favorite!

Post edited by tj_1ca9500b on
  • maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

soo...

• no purple banner for me
    • no need for military stuff or a spandex suit
    • hunky male... already got that russian named guy for that role...
    • dForce hair isn't my thing..
    • other pro packs aren't anything I'd desperately need..
    • $ 15.- for each category is nice, but having a total sum that I could spend in portions that I choose would be better liked by me
    • price adds up to ~ $ 70.- for me, which I can't just spend for stuff I don't really have a use for...

on the other hand

• the "mercenary" outfit doesn't really look that mercenary to me, but it's still nice
    • Lalen, Griff and - especially - "The Fighter" look nice. I'd love to see how they look without Dain

Result: no buy...

Oh, and as a fun fact for all the Ollie critics: Ollie was an instant buy for me and is one of my most mixed in figures...

•  
  • watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026
    edited January 2020

Three Pro Bundles for less than USD 60, which is less than the unmodified Dain 8 Pro Bundle price? With three add-ons for Dain included? And plenty other stuff for free?

This was what I call an offer, though the purple bar helped immensely.

Dain 8 Pro Bundle
    Bouncer Outfit Textures
    Kalen for Dain 8
    Brave Life - Expressions for Genesis 8 Male and Dain 8
    Mei Lin 8 Pro Bundle
    Ivan 7 Pro Bundle
    Iray Glass Shaders for DAZ Studio
    Aged Metals for Iray
    DAZ Studio Iray HDR Interiors
    Blunderbuss and Poses for Genesis 3 and 8 Male(s) and Female(s)
    Asian Accessories for Genesis 8 Female
    Dueling Swords
    My Human Poses and Expressions for Genesis 8 Male(s) and Female(s) and the DAZ Dog 8
    Mixable Expressions for Sanjay 8 and Genesis 8 Male(s)
    Kylie for Alexandra 8
    Lyam Bob Hair for Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 Female(s)
    Wild Winds Hair with dForce for Genesis 8 Female(s)

I like the looks of Kalen character (he looks quite different from the usual template) and I was happy to get Kylie character too, as Alexandra 8 is one of my most favourite core figures. I also finally got Mei Lin, and as a free bonus at that. Yay! Now I just need some huge free time sale or giveaway to actually put all my content to good use. *sighs*

Thank you DAZ.smiley

Post edited by watchdog79 on
  • OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548

soo...

• no purple banner for me
    • no need for military stuff or a spandex suit
    • hunky male... already got that russian named guy for that role...
    • dForce hair isn't my thing..
    • other pro packs aren't anything I'd desperately need..
    • $ 15.- for each category is nice, but having a total sum that I could spend in portions that I choose would be better liked by me
    • price adds up to ~ $ 70.- for me, which I can't just spend for stuff I don't really have a use for...

on the other hand

• the "mercenary" outfit doesn't really look that mercenary to me, but it's still nice
    • Lalen, Griff and - especially - "The Fighter" look nice. I'd love to see how they look without Dain

Result: no buy...

Oh, and as a fun fact for all the Ollie critics: Ollie was an instant buy for me and is one of my most mixed in figures...

•  

There are Ollie critics? I thought he was awesome, might have been the first G8 bundle I bought.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,169

Oh my God, I didn't notice the free G8 pro bundle part of the purple banner. I'm going to have a REALLY hard time choosing. 

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813

And I see a ton of bouncers here in LA, and no one dresses like that. I've never seen a guy in a spandex clingy too small suit where you can see every muscle through the suit in my life in fact...

I will admit, I'm somewhat puzzled as to why they didn't use the the main promo image from Bouncer Suit Textures as the main promo for the Bouncer Suit itself. Looking at the two of them, it seems pretty obvious that (a) despite the fact that it isn't mentioned anywhere in the (mostly nonexistant and what the heck is up with that?) product ad copy itself, the suit is designed for dForce, and (b) for the main promo, they didn't dForce it, which means it turns into clingwrap. (Seriously, what is up with this release? Hardly any ad copy, few if any promo images for each pro bundle product, some of the images that exist are ... not the best ... if they're trying to test out a New Minimalism for Product Pages, all I can say is:

Don't like it a'tall.)

Gordig said:

Oh my God, I didn't notice the free G8 pro bundle part of the purple banner. I'm going to have a REALLY hard time choosing. 

You can choose two (which doesn't make it any easier); basically the "pick your G8/G3/G2 bundle" link in the purple banner is an alternative to the "pick your G3/G2 bundle" link on the promo page. With a purple banner you get an additional free bundle so you can pick one from each link...or you can pick two from a single link. Unless there's something in the older bundles you were dying to own, two G8 bundles is probably a better value.

• Hm, the bouncer poses have a lot of clipping with Dain. They don't have one for G8 and one for Dain and where Dain is beefier, it's going to take a bit of tweaking which is a bit frustrating. I thought it was usual for the pro packs pose sets to be made specific for the new character's shape if they have it in the title?

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610
    Leana said:

Okay, I took a second look at the promo thanks to the mention here about two free pro bundles.(Thank you to Daveso). All that really interested me about Dain was Griff. Kalen looks nice too, though. But I realized that the deal offers two other Gen8 pro bundles in addition to Dain. Three recent pro bundles along with a few wish list items and a few "whatever, I could maybe use that sometime" items made it worth doing.

I did fail to put in the DAIN-20 code for 20% off the Daz Originals. :-( But I only chose two of the 2.20 items so I guess that's negligible. 

Wait, what? The banner I got included one additional Pro bundle for free. So you buy the Dain 8 bundle plus one add-on and you get another Pro bundle for free. 

It's in addition to the "regular" promo for Dain, which gives you a free bundle for buying Dain Pro Bundle and one add-on. So you get one from the banner and one from the regular promo.

I didn't even realize you get one from the regular promo...I am so ticked. I only got one. 

*edit* Oh wait, it says "select G2 or G3 bundle"...I already have all the G3 bundles, so I guess it's not so bad. I would have been really ticked if it was two G8 bundles. 

I'd suggest opening a customer service ticket noting that you 'missed' the part about the second bundle.  I've made a similar mistake on a past sale, and CS was nice enough to add the missing item to my library.  In my case it was a HD morph that was supposed to be free with the bundle, but the concept is the same.

Sure, you are probably looking at some old G2 bundle, but can't hurt to ask!  I actually get pretty good mileage out of my G2 bundles.  As characters go, Aiko 6 is probably my favorite!

I opened up a ticket. I only use G8 nowadays, but folks here were saying they were getting two G8 bundles for free. Hopefully they'll be decent and help me out considering how much I spend. 

• RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850
    edited January 2020

The guy looks great, some of the hair is fantastic, but most of the include clothes in the Pro Bundle is useless. It looks like that you can't seperate the vest from he shirt or the dropleg from the pants in the Mercanery Outfit. So no need for the shirt and the rest of this outfit in other than military scenes. And none of the clothes or hair comes with dForce. Are these leftovers from pre-dForce times?

... and no purple banner for me too. sad

Post edited by RCTSpanky on
  • rory7411rory7411 Posts: 111
    Odaa said:
    Gordig said:

You can choose two (which doesn't make it any easier); basically the "pick your G8/G3/G2 bundle" link in the purple banner is an alternative to the "pick your G3/G2 bundle" link on the promo page. With a purple banner you get an additional free bundle so you can pick one from each link...or you can pick two from a single link. Unless there's something in the older bundles you were dying to own, two G8 bundles is probably a better value.

I missed the G8 bundle in the purple banner as well, and now I've deleted the banner. Can anyone tell me what G8 bundles were in it? If there's anything I particularly wanted I might try contacting sales support to see if I can get it. Thanks.

• thd777thd777 Posts: 932
    RCTSpanky said:

The guy looks great, some of the hair is fantastic, but most of the include clothes in the Pro Bundle is useless. It looks like that you can't seperate the vest from he shirt or the dropleg from the pants in the Mercanery Outfit. So no need for the shirt and the rest of this outfit in other than military scenes. And none of the clothes or hair comes with dForce. Are these leftovers from pre-dForce times?

... and no purple banner for me too. sad

That is incorrect. The vest and shirt are separate and the dropleg and pants are separate as well. I think it is a very nice set with poor promos.

Ciao

TD

rory7411 said:
    Odaa said:
    Gordig said:

I missed the G8 bundle in the purple banner as well, and now I've deleted the banner. Can anyone tell me what G8 bundles were in it? If there's anything I particularly wanted I might try contacting sales support to see if I can get it. Thanks.

Looks like it's all of them, so far as I can see.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    Kharma said:
    daveso said:

the promos are terrible. whats up with that? 
    None of the clothes dforce ... someone mentioned the scarf, it would probably look better with dforce. 

Griff // someone mentioned the uniform as being same as before..it does not come with him ..he is a character - afaik. 

Even with all the free stuff with the banner and all, my total is still pretty high - $64 .. the HD addon jumps it $11 alone. BUT ... i think 2pro bundles and $120 worth of free is a big decent deal. 

Just curious, I have the banner for the discounts but I am only seeing one probundle free, are you meaning in total with Dain and one more probundle from the llist?

Do you mean there's only one to choose from? That would just mean you've bought the rest.

Yes for G2 and G3 I have eithr all or the parts I wanted :)

• Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,557
    edited January 2020

Purple banner : "Because we appreciate your loyalty with your previous purchases of Genesis 8 Pro Bundles"

I own 8 Pro Bundles (Monique 8 and Michael 8 were free)

Post edited by Noah LGP on
  • I like the look of Dain but I have to say that it is great to see such a fantastic set of deals on a male character.  As others have said, with the purple banner offers this is a bargain.

• rory7411rory7411 Posts: 111
    Odaa said:
    rory7411 said:
    Odaa said:
    Gordig said:

Looks like it's all of them, so far as I can see.

Thanks very much, I've put in a ticket as there are a couple I would've liked.

• AllenArt said:

Very sloppy bundle indeed. Daniel and Manu look frightening.

Agreed.

"Manu for Genesis 8 Male(s) is youthful, lean, and handsome, but his athletic physique is just a bonus to his down-to-earth personality."
    I am still shaking from laughing! "Youthful!" - "Lean!" - "Handsome!"
    Maybe the text is from a Tinder profile.
    This would explain the exaggerations too.

In fact, he looks like a very poor James Bond imitator from the 60ies.

I bought the bundle solely because of the "Double Your Discounts With Dain 8" offer.
    Dain 8 himself is okay, but most of the rest of the bundle looks rather as if it hails from an amateur asset store.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,443
    Llynara said:

The deals with the purple banners were way too good to pass up! I ended up with 3 G8 Pro bundles plus a ton of other deals for $45. 

how did you get it to $45? I'm at $63 right now

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,325
    daveso said:
    Llynara said:

Maybe because she is a PA.

edited January 2020

Well, this is ... interesting.

Every single thing in the pro bundle that has a readme -- with the exception of the poses and Dain himself -- appears to have been done by Disruptive Publishers. Whoever that is. I can't find anything else in the store by that PA.

Manu and the Future Soldier outfit don't have readmes, although I'd be mildly surprised if the same PA didn't do Manu and Daniel; they look like the same sort of semi-stylized approach. Not that they look the same, just that the same person had a hand in their execution.

The poses don't have anything in the data or Runtime/Textures directories, so it's not easily possible to tell if the same PA did those from looking at the file list. (Although the metadata may say, but I haven't bought yet, so don't have metadata to read.)

I don't remember any bundles having that sort of single-sourcing before -- I suppose maybe the Thorne bundles, but I haven't bought a whole fairy bundle in some time. (And looking through their product pages, the Rynne, Tika and Mika bundles don't do that, so this may be a first.)

Post edited by vwrangler on
    edited January 2020

Daniel and Manu have kind of a RawArt vibe to me; if you had asked me to guess who had made them just by looking at the pics, that would have been my guess. Daniel in particular echoes some of his Michael 4 characters to me. The clothes have a "Usual Suspects" vibe to them; I would have guessed maybe Anna Benjamin/Lyrra Madril/maybe Arien for the flight suit and merc outfit, Barbara Brundon/Moonscape Graphics/sade for the bouncer suit and scifi armor.

Post edited by Odaa on
  • necroscensionnecroscension Posts: 106
    edited January 2020
    Timbales said:
    It looks like his body texture has hair as part of it with no hairless option. Can someone who bought it confirm?

The torso and leg (mainly shins) maps have hair, arms are basically hairless.

Post edited by necroscension on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,443
    daveso said:
    Llynara said:

Maybe because she is a PA.

thanks. that may be it. Hate to pull the trigger on my cart if I can reduce a bit more laugh

Odaa said:

Daniel and Manu have kind of a RawArt vibe to me; if you had asked me to guess who had made them just by looking at the pics, that would have been my guess. Daniel in particular echoes some of his Michael 4 characters to me. The clothes have a "Usual Suspects" vibe to them; I would have guessed maybe Anna Benjamin/Lyrra Madril/maybe Arien for the flight suit and merc outfit, Barbara Brundon/Moonscape Graphics/sade for the bouncer suit and scifi armor.

There's actually a company called "Disruptive Publishers" that does 3d-type work -- they do game assets, primarily, it looks like -- which seems ... sort of possible, although given their client list, I'm baffled as to why they'd be doing this. Their game avatars are stylized in a way that looks like maybe it could be the same people, although the avatars are FAR more stylized than Daniel and Manu. (I do hope this is the same company, though; otherwise, another person doing substantially the same work and using the same business name in the same field could be problematic if it's not the same people. Their website is very ... simultaneously kind of Cool! and Interesting! and "....you did not think this through, did you?", all at once. (Parts of it are broken. Not linking since it would be an outbound link and not in response to a substantive inquiry, but they're not too hard to find with a search.)

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,236

It's not a big leap making digital clothing for xbox avatars to making clothing for daz avatars... dont think this is some big mystery.

vwrangler said:
    Odaa said:

There's actually a company called "Disruptive Publishers" that does 3d-type work -- they do game assets, primarily, it looks like -- which seems ... sort of possible, although given their client list, I'm baffled as to why they'd be doing this. Their game avatars are stylized in a way that looks like maybe it could be the same people, although the avatars are FAR more stylized than Daniel and Manu. (I do hope this is the same company, though; otherwise, another person doing substantially the same work and using the same business name in the same field could be problematic if it's not the same people. Their website is very ... simultaneously kind of Cool! and Interesting! and "....you did not think this through, did you?", all at once. (Parts of it are broken. Not linking since it would be an outbound link and not in response to a substantive inquiry, but they're not too hard to find with a search.)

Are they maybe something to do with Sinespace? https://blog.daz3d.com/daz-3d-partners-with-sinespace/

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

Has anyone purchased yet?  Hoping to see some renders before I go ahead and buy.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,690
    Leana said:

I opened up a ticket. I only use G8 nowadays, but folks here were saying they were getting two G8 bundles for free. Hopefully they'll be decent and help me out considering how much I spend. 

There's a help category designed specifically for this. It's "Missed Freebie." Daz Sales Support is among the best. If the customer is courteous and professional, so are they.