Dain 8

Comments

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,750

I have done two renders so far, Manu and The Fighter for Dain 8. I had hoped the bouncer suit might be redeemable, but I think it will take someone with more skills than me. I even tried dForce and it exploded. I have some suit shader sets and maybe it can get some love later, but not sure of the shaping.

Manu is sweet. 

I love The Fighter by Quixotry, and he reminds me of a friend of Eastern European ancestry. I also used the CDI Poses for Dain 8 and Genesis 8 Male which I bought because I had the required weapons. Other than straightening out the right forefinger it worked nice. I used the sunglasses from the mercenary outfit on him, and they fit nicely.

Mary

Manu for Gen 8 M.png
    1000 x 1618 - 2M
    The Fighter for Dain 8.png
    1600 x 1600 - 3M
  • watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026
    daveso said:
    Llynara said:

The deals with the purple banners were way too good to pass up! I ended up with 3 G8 Pro bundles plus a ton of other deals for $45. 

how did you get it to $45? I'm at $63 right now

Purple banner offer, Dain 8 Pro Bundle + 3 Dain 8 Add-ons meant extra 40% off the bundle and the add-ons alike.

See my post above to see what I got and for what price. Stupid illiterate me, because I could have gotten another G8 Pro Bundle instead of a G3 one. Well, lesson learnt, read it more carefully next time.

• daveso said:
    Llynara said:

The deals with the purple banners were way too good to pass up! I ended up with 3 G8 Pro bundles plus a ton of other deals for $45. 

Purple banner offer, Dain 8 Pro Bundle + 3 Dain 8 Add-ons meant extra 40% off the bundle and the add-ons alike.

See my post above to see what I got and for what price. Stupid illiterate me, because I could have gotten another G8 Pro Bundle instead of a G3 one. Well, lesson learnt, read it more carefully next time.

Yeah, you got all that for $60, not $45 though. Even with three add ons the pro bundles alone comes to just below 40, not sure which three add ons come in at five dollars together...
  • watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026
    daveso said:
    Llynara said:

Yeah, you got all that for $60, not $45 though. Even with three add ons the pro bundles alone comes to just below 40, not sure which three add ons come in at five dollars together...

Ah, I thought you meant only the Dain 8 bundle itself. My mistake.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Diomede said:

I like the character, like what is included in the pro bundle, and like the extra discounts from the loyalty banner.  Ended up with Dain 8 Pro Bundle, 3 Add-Ons (including the HD add-on), Gabriella 8 Pro Bundle, Ophelia 7 Pro Bundle, and $120 worth of additional content for just over what the Dain Pro bundle lists for me on the store page had I bought it by itself.  And I paid for it from store credit converted from buying myself a gift card at a significant discount.  

This release worked very well for me.  Thank you, Daz3D.  smiley

Of course, I'm just rationalizing my Dazaholicism.  With my existing library of content, I need none of it.  blush

I resemble that remark!

Besides the Pro bundle, I picked up the HD Addon and two characters, Kalen and Griff. As my bribes of choice, I selected Leisa 8 and Jenni 8 Pro Bundles, nine of the $2.20 items at $1.76 each with the coupon code, and three products from each of the four categories at $30 off.

I agree it really looks like Daz rushed the bundle into the store, what with the general lack of promo images, but that doesn't mean the products were rushed. Time will tell, but I really like this bundle overall. And though I've never seen a bouncer wearing a suit and earpiece, I have seen plenty of movies where the secret service agents do. Now if it holds up well to dForce, in spite of not being specifically for dForce, I will be really pleased.

Leana said:

Okay, I took a second look at the promo thanks to the mention here about two free pro bundles.(Thank you to Daveso). All that really interested me about Dain was Griff. Kalen looks nice too, though. But I realized that the deal offers two other Gen8 pro bundles in addition to Dain. Three recent pro bundles along with a few wish list items and a few "whatever, I could maybe use that sometime" items made it worth doing.

I did fail to put in the DAIN-20 code for 20% off the Daz Originals. :-( But I only chose two of the 2.20 items so I guess that's negligible. 

Wait, what? The banner I got included one additional Pro bundle for free. So you buy the Dain 8 bundle plus one add-on and you get another Pro bundle for free. 

It's in addition to the "regular" promo for Dain, which gives you a free bundle for buying Dain Pro Bundle and one add-on. So you get one from the banner and one from the regular promo.

I didn't even realize you get one from the regular promo...I am so ticked. I only got one. 

*edit* Oh wait, it says "select G2 or G3 bundle"...I already have all the G3 bundles, so I guess it's not so bad. I would have been really ticked if it was two G8 bundles. 

I'd suggest opening a customer service ticket noting that you 'missed' the part about the second bundle.  I've made a similar mistake on a past sale, and CS was nice enough to add the missing item to my library.  In my case it was a HD morph that was supposed to be free with the bundle, but the concept is the same.

Sure, you are probably looking at some old G2 bundle, but can't hurt to ask!  I actually get pretty good mileage out of my G2 bundles.  As characters go, Aiko 6 is probably my favorite!

I opened up a ticket. I only use G8 nowadays, but folks here were saying they were getting two G8 bundles for free. Hopefully they'll be decent and help me out considering how much I spend. 

Assuming you received the Purple banner (onsite message,) you should be able to have the second bundle added to your account.

Odaa said:
    rory7411 said:
    Odaa said:
    Gordig said:

Oh my God, I didn't notice the free G8 pro bundle part of the purple banner. I'm going to have a REALLY hard time choosing. 

You can choose two (which doesn't make it any easier); basically the "pick your G8/G3/G2 bundle" link in the purple banner is an alternative to the "pick your G3/G2 bundle" link on the promo page. With a purple banner you get an additional free bundle so you can pick one from each link...or you can pick two from a single link. Unless there's something in the older bundles you were dying to own, two G8 bundles is probably a better value.

I missed the G8 bundle in the purple banner as well, and now I've deleted the banner. Can anyone tell me what G8 bundles were in it? If there's anything I particularly wanted I might try contacting sales support to see if I can get it. Thanks.

Looks like it's all of them, so far as I can see.

I think Jenni 8 was the cutoff. I don't have Robyn, and she wasn't on the list. Based on their release dates, it looks like all the Pro bundles that are past New Release status, (older than 60 days.)

• Phoenix1966Phoenix1966 Posts: 1,562
    edited January 2020

All right. The only outfit I have tested so far is the merc one. I am a little disappointed.

First off, there is no wearable preset to apply the entire outfit. A dealbreaker? No, but since that option seems to be the norm these days, it's absence is very noticeable. As someone else already pointed out, there is no easy way to hide the smiley Watchman button. The geometry editor tool just doesn't seem to be able to grab it. The vest's materials are also weirdly broken down. The vest base, button, tops of the magazines and one of the pockets are all one surface. The other three pockets each have their own material zone.

Most of the pieces have some morphs and, interestingly enough, all of them have a "Dain Body Fix" one. The parameters are not locked at 100% max value or a 0% min one, either. And at least using a character based off of Michael 8, when choosing the "Tuck Boots" morph at 100% on the pants, you get an incredible amount of poke-thru. Cranking it up higher simply shrinks the pants into the figure's legs, exposing the skin. The boots have no morphs.

Lastly, for an outfit with ammo everywhere, no holster or weapon is also a glaring absence.

merc Dean2.png
    1600 x 1600 - 1M
    Post edited by Phoenix1966 on
  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,251
    Timbales said:
    It looks like his body texture has hair as part of it with no hairless option. Can someone who bought it confirm?

The torso and leg (mainly shins) maps have hair, arms are basically hairless.

Thank you, much appreciated
  • For the mercenary outfit, especially the shirt, how good are the UV maps for applying tiling textures? Honestly a lot of the outfits in this bundle look like ideas I like that are not as well executed as other recent products for men (both in and out of bundles). That combined with the promo issues is... weird.
    edited January 2020

The Bouncer Outfit (and one of the Bouncer poses) on a Michael 8 body.

There are only 4 parts to this outfit: pants, shoes, an(other) earpiece and a "suit" (jacket/shirt/tie combo). No morphs to speak of, so what you see is what you get. I tried to dforce the pants and they exploded. I'm not even going to try the "suit" portion because I know that won't end well. This item did have a wearable preset for the whole outfit, unlike the merc one.

The ReadMe incorrectly lists where the item is located and also mistakenly says there is a materials folder, when there isn't one. I had to look at DIM to find it was nested under the PA's name.

Like @memcneil70 mentioned, I'm not too sure about the overall shaping to this one.

Bouncer.png
    1600 x 1600 - 2M
    For the mercenary outfit, especially the shirt, how good are the UV maps for applying tiling textures? Honestly a lot of the outfits in this bundle look like ideas I like that are not as well executed as other recent products for men (both in and out of bundles). That combined with the promo issues is... weird.

The shirt only has one material zone.

Having invested, one because I totally want to support male content, and two I like Dain 8 and the characters, I am trying to pick apart what pieces of the outfits might be usable for kitbashing. Like the earpieces, sunglasses, maybe the shoes... 

And like others, I picked up two Pro Bundles from older generations, that I had pieces of. I have all of the Generation 8 Pro Bundles, so those offers always miss me now. But the other offers were 'Nice!' Thank you DAZ. 

• I'm not going to return it because I want to support male content, but my gosh the only good thing about the bundle is Dain himself. I am a sad panda. sad

• All right. The only outfit I have tested so far is the merc one. I am a little disappointed.

First off, there is no wearable preset to apply the entire outfit. A dealbreaker? No, but since that option seems to be the norm these days, it's absence is very noticeable. As someone else already pointed out, there is no easy way to hide the smiley Watchman button. The geometry editor tool just doesn't seem to be able to grab it. The vest's materials are also weirdly broken down. The vest base, button, tops of the magazines and one of the poskets are all one surface. The other three pockest each have their own material zone.

Most of the pieces have some morphs and, interestingly enough, all of them have a "Dain Body Fix" one. The parameters are not locked at 100% max value or a 0% min one, either. And at least using a character based off of Michael 8, when choosing the "Tuck Boots" morph at 100% on the pants, you get an incredible amount of poke-thru. Cranking it up higher simply shrinks the pants into the figure's legs, exposing the skin. The boots have no morphs.

Lastly, for an outfit with ammo everywhere, no holster or weapon is also a glaring absence.

The Bouncer Outfit (and one of the Bouncer poses) on a Michael 8 body.

There are only 4 parts to this outfit: pants, shoes, an(other) earpiece and a "suit" (jacket/shirt/tie combo). No morphs to speak of, so what you see is what you get. I tried to dforce the pants and they exploded. I'm not even going to try the "suit" portion because I know that won't end well. This item did have a wearable preset for the whole outfit, unlike the merc one.

The ReadMe incorrectly lists where the item is located and also mistakenly says there is a materials folder, when there isn't one. I had to look at DIM to find it was nested under the PA's name.

Like @memcneil70 mentioned, I'm not too sure about the overall shaping to this one.

Goodness gracious. Man those are really clingy outfits

• ThyranqThyranq Posts: 584

Dain himself, and the other wicked offers combined with the bundle made it a worthwhile purchase, but I must admit, I'll probably never use most of the content in the bundle besides Dain.

Speaking of Dain, someone asked for a render. Nothing fancy, just Dain, his included facial and chest hair, and some hair that did not come with the bundle.

Dain.png
    625 x 1000 - 831K

My Dain 8 just finished, along with his friend Husky 8. This is the mercenary outfit without the extra stuff on it, trying it in a civilian setting. But, the knees of the pants look like they are missing knee pads (none with the outfit) and fitting these clothes are a pain. I need to try other clothes on Dain, or trim his shoulders/chest down a tad.

Mary

Dain 8.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,169

I think this thread is talking me out of buying this bundle. 

• Gordig said:

I think this thread is talking me out of buying this bundle. 

The base character is nice.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762
    edited January 2020

Has nobody mentioned the Smiley face on the Mercenary's vest yet? 

edit - whops, yes they have, though they called it a Watchman Button, even though the shot-Smile preceeded that comic by years...

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

Has anyone tried the future soldier outfit or flight suit yet? Those are the only two outfits that interest me and I have their textures in the cart now to get all the freebies.,,

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,047

My theory as to why we received a better deal on Dain than CJ is in part tied to all of the issues a number of you have brought up in recent posts.  The amount of free content we received with Bain is quite significant however, in particular for those that received the Purple banner.  I remember in a past Pro bundle sale it was mentioned that the customer should have owned 8 or more G8 Pro bundles to qualify, so while we probably won't be told what the criteria was, I am still curious as to what the prereqs for the purple banner were.  I alrready own most of the G8 Pro bundles, now including Jenni 8 thanks to this sale, so I'm one of the 'lucky' ones this time I guess.

And yeah, as mentioned above, Jenni 8 was the first bundle in the list I saw when I went to pick a G8 bundle for the coupon, at least as far as 'currently unowned' choices for me.  Landon 8 and Tasha 8 were also on the list, but I've been repeatedly taking a pass on those two for a while now.  Those particular two bundles just haven't really interested me, but of course to each their own.  A few more 'free' G8 Pro bundle offers, though, and I may end up with them eventually...

The 'clingware' thing in particular is kind of disappointing to hear about.  It sounds like it's not an easy fix either, short of doing more than a bit of tweaking.  I'll probably still use the outfits occasionally, 'cuz I'm lazy though.  The H&C Business suit for G8M seems to D-Force somewhat well, so I'll probably look at picking that one up at some point.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4789216/#Comment_4789216

But for those looking to dial in a John Cena/Matt Damon/Jimmy Kimmel/Colin Ferguson/etc. lookalike, Dain 8 himself is almost a no brainer!

I'm pretty happy with my Kalen 8 purchase.  It helped that he was one of the cheaper prereq choices, and as I noted above, he provided a nice starting point for my attempt at a Wes Studi lookalike, after swapping out his skin for Sanjay 8's. 

I may try to throw together a quick 'Ocean's 11' homage to Matt Damon, just to see how close Dain 8 is to Matt as far as additional tweaks that may be needed.

edited January 2020
    Cybersox said:

edit - whops, yes they have, though they called it a Watchman Button, even though the shot-Smile preceeded that comic by years...

The Watchman button has a blood splatter across the button's right eye from the Comedian's nose injuries. Until he was killed, his smiley button was just that: a traditional smiley. It is different from the shot-in-the-head smiley. The button on the merc vest is also just a bloodsplatter near the button's left eye, much like the Watchman Button.

Here's the flight suit on a Michael 8 body.

Perhaps I mistakenly think of flight suits as more similar to jumpsuits, because this is fairly bulky to me. There is a wearable preset for the whole set. The suit is one piece and the patches on the shoulder and chest are separate, which is nice if you don't want your character to be a member of any branch of the United State's military. He is wearing the eyewear from the merc outfit.

Flightsuit.png
    1600 x 1600 - 1M
  • You can see the full-size version here.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610
    edited January 2020

I'm not going to return it because I want to support male content, but my gosh the only good thing about the bundle is Dain himself. I am a sad panda. sad

Dain himself is nice, but yes, everything else that comes with him is...downright shameful. The clothing looks and fits like it was made generations ago. My only reason for purchase today was the additional free content. It's really sad because I really do want to support and see more quality male stuff...but wow. 

I'll probably be uninstalling the clothing that came with him because I don't even want it cluttering up my runtime. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Cybersox said:

I didn't even know it was possible for for mesh polys to not respond to the geometry editor!

Anyway, the workaround is a transmap in the main vest material zone targeting the location of the button, such as the one I've attached to this comment.

vest-Hide-Button-TR_LA.png
    4096 x 4096 - 88K
  • MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610

You can see the full-size version here.

Is it just me or do they all look rather deviously muderous? 

• Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,736
    edited January 2020

At first glance, he looks like John Cena to me, also. I'd say Dain's pro bundle leans very heavily on the military look. I don't want military. The Bouncer Outfit looks wrong to me. But then I'm a Senior Citizen. On the whole, I get this Aggressive Vibe from Dain 8. That's not what I'm looking for.

Post edited by Ron Knights on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,443
    daveso said:
    Llynara said:

Ah, I thought you meant only the Dain 8 bundle itself. My mistake.

ok..so my 63 not bad .. includes the HD which is at 11 ...

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,443

Whats that huge waist thing on the flightsuit? he have a tight packed parachute in his crotch or what? 

Cybersox said:

The Watchman button has a blood splatter across the button's right eye from the Comedian's nose injuries. Until he was killed, his smiley button was just that: a traditional smiley. It is different from the shot-in-the-head smiley. The button on the merc vest is also just a bloodsplatter near the button's left eye, much like the Watchman Button.

Perhaps I mistakenly think of flight suits as more similar to jumpsuits, because this is fairly bulky to me. There is a wearable preset for the whole set. The suit is one piece and the patches on the shoulder and chest are separate, which is nice if you don't want your character to be a member of any branch of the United State's military. He is wearing the eyewear from the merc outfit.

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548

Finally bought and downloading, and basically out of Daz money until April. After the horrific reviews of the Bouncer suit, I didn't even download it: I used to love fighting with maybe-dforceable stuff but don't have the mental energy right now, and the best accessory from it (earpiece) has a counterpart in the merc set. As it happened this ended up being a nearly all-male order: my two free bundles were Diego (even though I already own one of the outfits) and Nix, and the only purely female content from the various freebie piles were the G2F force field set (although I hope to be able to convert it to G3M) and the Dforce Faye hair. 

One thing I will say for Disruptive Publishing is that the flight suit and merc outfit are precisely the kind of thing Daz hasn't given us a lot of, and the armor manages to be a somewhat fresh variation on a familiar theme.

daveso said:

Whats that huge waist thing on the flightsuit? he have a tight packed parachute in his crotch or what? 

Cybersox said:

laugh