Diomede's Notepad, Sketchpad, and Chilling Pad

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,099

14 - Create Separate Fabric for Waistband and Skirt

Select the four waistband panels on the right side and set a new fabric which you can rename in the upper right side of the screen.

cc37 right click to assign to new fabric and give belt separate fabric name.jpg
    1526 x 808 - 105K
    edited September 2022

15 - Export the Skirt OBJ

- select all of the panels on the right side.

- use the file menu to export obj

- the export options are attached.  amke sure weld is selected, and make sure Daz scale is selected.

cc38 file export obj.jpg
    1479 x 892 - 144K
    cc39 export settings.jpg
    1421 x 1029 - 186K
    Post edited by Diomede on

16 - Start a new Daz Studio Scene with Genesis 1 in Basic Female morph set to 1.  Import the Skirt OBJ

Will be using the transfer utility.

In the import options, make sure to use Daz Studio scale to match the MD export setting.

The skirt should load fitting the Basic Female shape of Genesis 1.

cc40 back to daz studio obj import options.jpg
    1886 x 970 - 254K
    cc41 imports and fits genesis 1 basic female shape and it has two surfaces one for the belt and one for the skirt.jpg
    1235 x 906 - 157K
    edited September 2022

17 - Edit Skirt Object Using Transfer Utility

Select the skirt

Use edit object to bring up the transfer utility.

NOTE - cannot use defaults because have fitted the skirt to the Basic Female morph.  So see settings in screengrab.  

cc42 select skirt and go to object transfer utility.jpg
    1725 x 906 - 231K
    cc43 current shape and reverse source shape.jpg
    1479 x 879 - 172K

18 - Basic Test for Conforming and Morphing

Can test to see if the transfer utility worked. 

Does the skirt morph if the Basic Female is dialed to 0?  Yes.

Does the skirt morph if an unrelated morph is used like Victoria 5?  Yes.

Does the skirt conform if the legs are posed?  Yes.

edited September 2022

19 - Basic test for DForce

Recall that I created a separate material zone for the waistband.  That will help the DForce test. 

- Select the skirt and use the simulation pane to create a DForce object.

- Use the surfaces tab to set the dynamic strength of the waistband to 0.

- Pose a leg in a way that would affect the skirt.

- Run a DForce simulation.

Skirt drapes on raised thigh.

edited September 2022

20 - Preliminary Thoughts for Adapting Genesis 1 Workflow to Genesis 9

General There is good reason to believe that the same basic steps will work for genesis 9.  I intend to create three Avatars for my version of MD.  The Base G9, the G9F, and the G9M.  For gendered clothing I will model the garment using MD or a more general modeling program to G9F or G9M as appropriate.  I will then use reverse deformation in the rigging stage of Daz Studio transfer utility.  For items that are unigender, I can create morphs for the clothing item that fit each avatar and then import those as substitutions for the default morph created by the transfer utility.

UVMapping - I have not discussed that above.  MD can have decent UVMaps derived from the 2D panels, but that may depend on whether the mesh needs to have retopology.

Retopology - the default of my old version of MD uses triangles.  It can change to quads but the results around edges and seams are not good.  May be better off brushing up on retopology in other programs - and if so, then also brushing up on UVMapping in other programs.

cc44 and can see it is conforming now.jpg
    1773 x 969 - 238K
    cc45 and when zero current morph it goes back to default shape.jpg
    1402 x 924 - 185K
    cc46 changed to victoria 5.jpg
    1445 x 932 - 183K
    cc47 applied a pose and dforce to skirt.jpg
    1036 x 907 - 132K
    edited October 2022

My first render with Genesis 9 assets, including Victoria 9.

NNVIATWAS - nearly naked Vicki in a temple with a sword.  The stone cube is an elevated altar.

v9 in a temple with a sword 01.png
    1280 x 1600 - 2M
    edited October 2022

My second render is the same scene but with the darker color opton for the armor.

v9 in a temple with a sword 01c.png
    1280 x 1600 - 2M
    edited December 2022

Jay video on creating G9 morphs for earlier generation characters

and for genesis 2 and 3 T-Pose figures

Jay video on saving and sharing morphs.

Mada has a thread on answering Genesis 9 clothing questions.

Thank you, Mada!

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/597726/genesis-9-clothing-questions/p1

Canary3D has a video on fixing the G9 eyes figure when you create a morph that affects the G9 figure eye sockets

edited November 2022

Bohemian3 has a great thread and also youtube tutorials on using Marvelous Designer to create custom clothes for Daz figures.  Thank you, Bohemian3.

The Daz Art Studio Forum thread on MD - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7825796/#Comment_7825796

Example of youtube video

Video on Useful settings in Marvelous Designer

ShelLuser has a thread with tips on Daz Studio to Substance Painter workflow.  Thank you.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/601656/guide-using-daz-studio-substance-painter-easier-than-you-may-think#latest

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

Thanks for the links to the tutorials...

Pendraia said:

Thanks for the links to the tutorials...

You are most welcome.  Thank you for stopping by my thread.  Hope you find the links helpful.  The first page of the thread has many more links in a variety of categories.  I was not notified I had a visitor.  Cheers.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

I will check out the first page links also. I'm always looking for ways to help do things. Sorry you didn't get the notification.

edited November 2022

Clothing Thickness Workflow: DForce Dynamic Surface Add-On.

Recall that the amazingly generous Mada has a thread on creating clothes for Genesis 9.  

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/597726/genesis-9-clothing-questions/p1

I will post a series of screenshots adapting information from a video in that thread.  In this project, I modeled a simple low res TShirt for the Genesis 9 base mesh, and then used a DForce dynamic surface add-on to create thickness at the hem, sleeves, and collar, yet still be able to use DForce for the garment.  I will be using Daz Studio to do the rigging, and using Carrara to do the modeling.  You can use any modeler, even modelers that do not like edges that intersect with more than two planes.

Here is a link to a video tutorial by Mada on the same subject.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOWdOSQVRco#t=

In this first post, see a look at the mesh of the shirt and the add-ons, and a look at how the DForce drapes at the back of the waistbut the add-on helps hold the thickness of the hem.

ee12 select all the bridges.jpg
    1870 x 1234 - 223K
    ee15 delete inversion to get just the addon bridges.jpg
    1422 x 1275 - 99K
    ee67 victoria 9 morph and bend seem to work OK.jpg
    1975 x 1336 - 275K
    edited November 2022

Modeling a simple shirt with thickness at the collar, sleeves,and hem.

Load the base genesis 9 shape in the modeler of your choice preserving scale.  I am using Carrara, but you can use Hexagon,Blender, Silo, ZBrush, or anything else you want.  The important thing is to be able to preserve scale when exporting for use in Studio.  

To get the modeling dummy for use in Carrara, follow the suggestions in the Carrara frum by Wendy, Proprose, and Bunyip.  Open Daz Studio and load the Genesis 9 base figure (neither male nor female).  Save as a character preset to location of your choice.  You can then load that character preset in Carrara and use it as a modeling dummy.  This is not a modeling tutorial so I am just going to skip ahead some.

Here is a relatively close fitting lo-res T-Shirt mesh.  Create one in any program you want.

Note that I modeled the waist hem to have a curl toward the inside and then extruded up inside.  I did the same for the sleeves and the collar.

And here is a rough UVMap. I have highlighted the UVs of that inner curl at the hem.The UVmap is rough, but should be OK for this rigging for DForce example.

I created shader domains for the shirt trim (at waist, neck, and arms).  These are for texturing the shirt; they do not match either the inner curls or the future add-ons.

Save This Mesh As a Separate File

ee01 model simple shirt with thickness to fit g9 base shape not gendered.jpg
    2055 x 1324 - 294K
    ee02 have thickness model as curl at bottomhem and collar and sleeves see inner edge near an outer edge.jpg
    2104 x 1219 - 231K
    ee03 uv map of inner polygons.jpg
    2245 x 1210 - 392K
    ee04 shader domains for collar hem sleeve trim.jpg
    1810 x 1303 - 276K
    edited November 2022

Creating the Add-On Meshes - Delete and Bridge

Use a renamed working mesh that you can throw away.  The add-on meshes are strips of polygons that bridge the curled inward edge back to the main fabric.  To do this in Carrara, I selected the loop of main fabric polygons bordering below where I wanted to bridge to the inner curl.

I then deleted that loop.

I then selected the edge loop of the inner curl and the edge loop of the main fabric that I want to bridge.

I then used the bridge tool.

ee05 select loop in base below where curl edge near the maon mesh.jpg
    2272 x 1180 - 273K
    ee06 delete.jpg
    2323 x 1123 - 255K
    ee07 select edges of inner and outer.jpg
    2218 x 1168 - 258K
    ee07 select edges of inner and outer.jpg
    2218 x 1168 - 258K
    ee08 use the bridge tool.jpg
    333 x 246 - 11K
    ee09 bridge tool creates mesh to connect inner with outer.jpg
    1992 x 1150 - 205K
    edited November 2022

Repeat for all Add On Meshes

Following the steps for the waist hem, select and delete a loop of polygons around the main fabric of the collar.  Select loops of edges of the main mesh and the inner curl around the collar and use the bridge tool.

Repeat again for the sleeves. And repeat for any other holes for which you will want thickness.

Create a shading domain for the bridged meshes.  These will be the add on.

edited November 2022

Isolate and Save the Add On Meshes

Use the shading domain to select all of the bridged meshes at the waist, sleeves, and collar (and any others) - and only those.

Invert the selection.

Delete all non-bridged polygons leaving only the add on mesh.

Save the add on mesh as a file with its own name.

You can see how the addon mesh without the garment relates to the base figure.

ee10 repeat for collar.jpg
    1975 x 1255 - 233K
    ee11 repeat for sleeves.jpg
    1297 x 1279 - 158K
    ee12 select all the bridges.jpg
    1870 x 1234 - 223K
    ee13 name shading domain addons.jpg
    1648 x 1255 - 186K
    ee14 invert selection.jpg
    2055 x 1213 - 277K
    ee15 delete inversion to get just the addon bridges.jpg
    1422 x 1275 - 99K
    ee16 addon alone with g9 base mesh.jpg
    1963 x 1282 - 203K
    edited November 2022

Confirm Garment Mesh and Add On Mesh

Load the saved garment mesh that had the curled thick edges but no add-ons.

Load the saved add-on mesh that bridges between the edge of the internal curls to the main fabric of the garment.

If look closely, can see the rows of gray vertexes overlapping the main garment.

ee17 base mesh shirt no smoothing.jpg
    1927 x 1156 - 155K
    ee18 can see where addon matches base shirt.jpg
    2317 x 1297 - 248K
    edited November 2022

Export the OBJs for the Main Garment and for the Add-On.

Using Carrara, there is a preset for OBJ export for Daz Studio 'full scene.'  Just be consistent in whichever modeling program OBJ export you use.

The garment should be saved seprately from the add on.  I did not use smoothing for either. Just be consistent.

ee19 save obj daz studiofullscene preset.jpg
    1879 x 1194 - 223K
    ee20 repeat for addon mesh no smoothing.jpg
    1558 x 1153 - 179K
    edited November 2022

In Daz Studio - Import and Rig the Main Garment Mesh, Not the Add-On

Load the Genesis 9 Development Figure.  In this example, I modeled to the base shape, so that is what I load.

Import the main garment mesh.  I saved out of Carrara in Daz Studiofull scene, so in the import dialogue of Daz Studio I choose the Carrara preset.  Just be consistent.

Confirm the main garment appears to fit and is at base resolution (in my example).

ee21 in daz studio load the G9 development figure from developer kit.jpg
    2301 x 1336 - 340K
    ee22 load shirt obj using carrara format in this case but be consistent.jpg
    1507 x 1189 - 203K
    ee23 see have shirt at base resolution.jpg
    1908 x 1192 - 243K
    edited November 2022

Use the Transfer Utility - Genesis 9 is the Source - the Shirt is the Target

In this example, I am not doing any smoothing. I modeled to the base mesh so there is no need to reverse to source.

In this example, I also avoid the transfer utility default of parenting the mesh just to make extra sure that the mesh stays in its default location.  In this simplest example, I am avoiding smoothing and reverse deformations and parenting to make extra sure that when the mesh for the add-on is imported that none of the vertexes for the main garment have been moved.

The result should be that the shirt is now a conforming garment that fits Genesis 9 base.

ee24 transfer utility no template nosmoothing no reverse.jpg
    2047 x 1216 - 270K
    ee25 result remember no parent in transferutility still base mesh.jpg
    1854 x 1207 - 223K
    edited November 2022

Save the Shirt Garment as a Figure/Prop Asset

Now that the shirt is rigged, save it as a figure/prop asset for future use.  This step will save necessary information to the data folder.  If you have not done so already, choose a name for yourself for your custom products.  Studio will create a subfolder with your name in the data folder.  Also choose a name for this product which will be used for the add-on as well.

ee26 save as figure propasset not parented follower set compatible G9 Base.jpg
    2038 x 1012 - 222K
    edited November 2022

In a New Scene, Load Your New Shirt and Assign DForce

Clear the current scene or start a new Daz Studio scene.  

Load the shirt garment just saved as a figure prop asset.  In the simulation tab, assign a new DForce dynamic surface.

In the surfaces tab, confirm that DForce channels exist.

ee27 start new empty daz studio scene.jpg
    2157 x 1177 - 215K
    ee28 load new shirt and create a dforce dynamic surface.jpg
    2034 x 1264 - 267K
    ee29 confirm surfaces dforce.jpg
    1893 x 1188 - 236K
    edited November 2022

Save the DForce Shirt as a Wearable Preset

I loaded the Genesis 9 base from the standard folder, not the development rig.  

I fit the shirt to the Genesis 9.

The result is that the new shirt conforms to and is parented to the standard Genesis 9 in its base form.

Select the genesis 9 figure and Save As Wearable Preset.

I created a subfolder for the wearable preset in the same general area as the custom figure prop asset.

ee30 load genesis 9 base from regular folder not developer.jpg
    2316 x 1231 - 273K
    ee31 select the g9 base shirt and fit to the genesis 9 base mesh.jpg
    2326 x 1236 - 307K
    ee32 result is g9 base shirt 4 is fit to and parented to g9 base.jpg
    2151 x 1230 - 242K
    ee33 with G9 base selected file save as wearable preset and save the dforce enabled shirt.jpg
    2470 x 1273 - 350K
    ee34 save as wearable preset in subfolder.jpg
    1537 x 1032 - 141K