Diomede's Notepad, Sketchpad, and Chilling Pad

1121314151618»

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,081

Lessons from Jackie Chan - Part 1 - Direction

Life is always better with some Jackie Chan analysis. - Directing Action and Comedy - Every Frame a Painting

Lessons from Jackie Chan - Part 2 - An Alternative Interpretation

Life is always better with some Jackie Chan analysis. - Directing Action and Comedy - The Welsh Filmmaker

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225

Thanks for those! Very nice info!!! :)

In a world of "All CG Filmmaking", this sort of workflow could help - but we'd need a team!

I love how sincere everybody involved was in their portrayal of real, live action - especially the final comments by the Director at the end!

edited February 25

In 2024, I'm trying hard to put that sincerity into my own work - getting better and better results, but at the cost of time spent doing and redoing... and then redoing again some more. Watch it back again, and redo a bit more. 

Being a one person team, I do have to make sacrifices and eventually call it "Good Enough For Now" in order to keep pushing forward - knowing that what I'm doing now will improve what I do in 2025.

Even with those sacrifices, however, there's an incredible amount of sincerity going into my current 2024 work. It's taking longer to complete scenes, so it's making me anxious to get something out as a demo. I have to try and hold back that urge and just keep pushing forward.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited March 7

3D Blockout and Artificial Inteligence Processing

Here is the final image.  I used Carrara to generate a depth pass and a toon filtered render.  I used those two elements in Controlnet Depth and Canny respectively.

Here was the toon render.

Here is the depth pass.

Conqueror Axe Wielder.png
    1024 x 1536 - 2M
    Conquered Beauty Toon 02d girl clothed.png
    1024 x 1536 - 795K
    Conquered Beauty Toon 02d girl clothed_Depth.png
    1024 x 1536 - 158K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited March 7

I had a second render that included the background stairs.  I find I get better results for the depth pass for two figures if I combine two depth passes.  The depth pass has to be inverted for use in Controlnt (Stable Diffusion).

Post edited by Diomede on

That's very cool, Diomede!

Thanks

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,330

Diomede said:

Here is the final image.  I used Carrara to generate a depth pass and a toon filtered render.  I used those two elements in Controlnet Depth and Canny respectively.

Here is the depth pass.

Very interesting process.

FirstBastion said:

Diomede said:

Here is the depth pass.

Very interesting process.

Agreed. Carrara's multiple pass render output options are a lot of fun for all kinds of cool experiments. I haven't tried them in Iray yet - but it's on my list to explore one day.

Thanks, @FirstBastion and @Dartanbeck,for the comments.  I feel like I am still early in the learning curve. 

Diomede said:

Thanks, @FirstBastion and @Dartanbeck,for the comments.  I feel like I am still early in the learning curve. 

You're not alone! I'll be all happy with what I'm doing - then someone comes along, we have a conversation, and I discover that - Oh My! There's So Much More I can be doing!!! 

The cool part is: It's just as refreshing as it is scary! :)

Another recent 3D to AI image.  This one was sent back to 3D (Carrara) to fix the hand.  I simply loaded the AI image as a backdrop then rendered the original blockout figure with shadow catchers to get the hand.  This hand has a particularly challenging hand pose for AI internal fixes.

That turned out Really Great!!! Nice work, my Friend!!!

Thanks.  Carrara is ideal for blocking out scenes for AI, and also for bringing AI images in in the scene backdrop and rendering a new detail.  Blender even more so.  For Daz Studio, which does not have native modelers, and which is focused on Iray photoreal renders, need some advanced info.  For Controlnet's 'depth' preprocessor, the depth information can be gotten in a straight depth canvas, but Daz Studio produces that canvas in EXR format only.  Solutions exist, just more steps.  For Controlnet's 'canny' preprocessor, the equivelant of Carrara's native Toon III render is a little more complicated.  The bad news is that I think (merely think!) that a good solution could be (merely could be) to use the canvas for Material ID and then construct your own 'Canny' assistant.  The good news is that the Daz Studio plugin 'Line Render 9000' is designed to accomplish this task.  The 'I'm not sure' news is that Line Render 9000 was designed for 3Delight, not Iray, so I am not sure if it will play nicely with more recent content.

Here is a helpful video introduction to Daz Studio canvases by ArtCollaboration.  This is the 1st of two related videos.  This one introduces and describes each Studio canvas and explains how to set them up.  The second video explains how to use them for postwork.  At the moment, anyone following along with me would be focused on the canvas for depth, and perhaps the canvas for material id (or the line render plugin). 

Please give me any suggestions.  There is always more to learn!  (and as I get older, I am always having to relearn the stuff I used to know).

You know what does a really cool depth pass? 

Carrara! :)

If all you're after is a depth pass, you can have everything in the scene using only a single, ultra-fast-to-render shader, and just go for the depth pass! :)

I haven't gotten into the Iray canvasses much more than looking to see how to access them. However, since then I've seen talk in the Daz Studio Discussion Forum that there is a new feature for... is it line rendering or is it toon? I don't remember. But there's a pretty decent thread with instructions. 

Being one of those who has and loves Carrara, and being a fan of taking the path of least resistance, that's what I would go for - but, like you... I'd still investigate for sure! 

For Carrara, if I wanted to use more modern character shapes, I'd start with a conversion to Genesis or Genesis 2 - then set myself up a library of conversions that are specifically made for my work in Carrara, yet it would still all work for DS, so it's a win either way.

The coolest solution I can think of is to have Daz 3D sharpen their pencils and update Carrara to include compatibility with all Daz! Although some might disagree, I wouldn't even ask for a newer render engine - already loving the ones it already has. For me, it was dForce (rather, a product that I NEED that absolutely requires it) that forced my hand to use Daz Studio - for which I'm grateful. I find myself having a Lot more power having both!