Genesis 9 clothing questions & answers

MadaMada Posts: 1,869
edited November 2022 in The Commons

I have an urgent project to finish this morning but I'm hoping to write up some answers on clothing with G9 this afternoon - I know there will be plenty so ask away and I will try to answer them :)

A general request - please don't post in this thread about not buying or not going to use G9, it creates long threads to wade through in search of answers - I'd like to keep this thread easy to read for those users serious about wanting to use G9.

The team worked super hard on making G9 as easy to use as possible, I am constantly amazed at how well things work and fit.

Edit : I just made public a lot more videos on my channel, mainly to do with creating for Genesis 8 - but Genesis 9 use exactly the same principles :)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2SdKrOTXeXA1qMgNE84AsM8_Wq63gOBF

Scripts used in the videos distributed with permission from Daz, all credit goes to them :) Please don't share the scripts.

Download from https://www.dropbox.com/s/mm90pi1jy4ye8iz/DazStudioScripts.zip?dl=0 for now

Since its easy to zero the base joint correctives with zero figure (to avoid the issue use restore figure instead) I made pose presets to turn them on quickly - this will be added to my top menu bar for sure :) 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5hvvouec08i5dvm/BaseJointCorrectiveOn.zip?dl=0

Post edited by Mada on

Comments

• MadaMada Posts: 1,869
    edited October 2022

Something new to check out meanwhile - G9 comes with a new feature called Utilities in the parameter dials. Some interesting new options available in there :D

With the script in this video you can change the base shape to either male or female, fit your clothing and dial up the non gender shape to check the fit. The advantage with that is you can turn on smoothing and it will smooth to base giving you the best fit and results. This makes it easier for users who prefer to create on a gender shape. After you're done you export the obj and use the transfer utility as usual.

You do need to be on DS 4.21 to use Utilities

Post edited by Mada on
  • algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,576

Thanks for pointing those out - I hadn't noticed!

- Greg

edited October 2022

It's a pretty great new addition, imo one of the best improvements :D

Some questions I see on the forums :

Why is the base shape like it is?
    Its actually very well designed to be a perfect blend between the male and female shape, so you only have to dial 50% either way.

Why are the eyes and mouth now separate?
    Because if you add subdivision you don't end up subdividing the eyes and mouth as well, it helps with polygon bloat and make it easier for sculptors.

Where is the 8K maps
    Only the details map is 8K - the details map pulls most of the weight, the difference between 4K and 8K albedo maps is not really noticeable enough to warrant it being 8K.

Why are there no nipples in the topology?
    Because that was the biggest problem with the original Genesis - the male chest never worked quite right. With HD nipples for either female or male that solves the problem.

Post edited by Mada on
  • jeylienjeylien Posts: 32

Mada said:

Something new to check out meanwhile - G9 comes with a new feature called Utilities in the parameter dials. Some interesting new options available in there :D

Thank you so much for mentioning this!! I was looking everywhere trying to find the G8 clones that the autofit used, since I wanted to play around with transfering some morphs using said clone shapes and the transfer utility. I had just about given up hope, which was going to change my personal feelings about G9 from much excitement and happiness to great disappointment, but thankfully I saw your comment, found the Utilities, and what I was looking for was within those dev tools. So happy!! 

The only part I wish was a little better fit was the feet/toes (after having used transfer utility to fit the G9 G8m clone shape to an actual G8m and then dialing in the HFS Ultimate Shapes morphs for the alien and animal type legs, there were obvious distortions with some vertices between the toes not really matching up well enough to make the morph transfer over), but the everything else including hands, face, eyes, ears-- basically the other typical problem areas-- seems to work really well! So this isn't just useful for clothing, but also transfering morphs from G8. Which is going to enable me to start using G9 much much sooner now. I'm excited!!

edited October 2022

Great - I added the video link to my post above as well :)

There's a lot of different uses for the templates that can be loaded via Utilities

1. You can load the template to see how close its going to be to the outfit you're transferring to - the closer it is in volume the better your result.

2. Creators can load the templates and see where the different clothing zones are to make it easier to fit pants and shirts over each other (not mandatory of course, but useful)

3. If you have a figure that you use a lot and it includes a custom morph that doesn't work well with clothing, you can fix the morph in the template and save it, and from then on clothing that you autofit will use the morph you fixed.

4. You can take the template items into MD and drape against them - the plan is to expand the templates with a hoop dress, loose jackets, some high heel templates etc - once the dust settles down a bit.

5. Last but not least you can use replace source with the templates to get all the custom ercs and formulas hooked up for your dresses - just make sure you immediately save with another name and in another product folder so you don't overwrite the templates.

Post edited by Mada on
  • PancakePancake Posts: 40

jeylien said:

(after having used transfer utility to fit the G9 G8m clone shape to an actual G8m and then dialing in the HFS Ultimate Shapes morphs for the alien and animal type legs, there were obvious distortions with some vertices between the toes not really matching up well enough to make the morph transfer over), but the everything else including hands, face, eyes, ears-- basically the other typical problem areas-- seems to work really well! So this isn't just useful for clothing, but also transfering morphs from G8. Which is going to enable me to start using G9 much much sooner now. I'm excited!!

Apologies, where was the tool that allows the use of G8 morphs? I looked in the dev utilities and didn't see anything applicable after clicking around. Though it could be I have something incomplete as i've seen a few people on the forum talk about having partial downloads.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,200
    edited October 2022

I created a simple skirt in MD and used the Create Follower Utility to rig it. Since it is all automated, it didn't give me any option to select projection template. The resulting weight mapping looks pretty bad for a skirt. I'm using dForce, so that takes care of it, but I was surprised at how bad it looked before running dForce. Any suggestions?

G9 Skirt Make Follower.jpg
    1323 x 1531 - 236K
    G9 Skirt dForced.jpg
    1210 x 1522 - 220K
    Post edited by barbult on

yea the template would be much better to use. I would try exporting an obj instead and use that with the templates

Mada said:

yea the template would be much better to use. I would try exporting an obj instead and use that with the templates

Do you mean use the OBJ I exported from MD with the Transfer Utility in DS, just like we have done for G8?

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited October 2022

I have a couple of questions.

a) Are the utilities you talk of the Dev Load, Clothing Template Load and the other 2 menus are the very bottom of the Parameters tab?

a) Jay mentioned being able to adjust the clothing fit better in G9 because of I think changing the buffer gap between the character and the clothing better. Is that right? How to do that? I see on the G9 Base Bra there is no sort of change that I see with regard to fit & autofitting but on the Summertide Bottom there is a parameter called Adjustable Weightmap Layer Panty and it's defaulted at 1.0? How to you use these two types to stop poke-through and get a better draped fit?

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,871

I have questions you probably cannot answer blush

because I use Carrara

and it seems G9 works in Carrara but for me at least not the basic wear

(others had success with D|S4.10 I used 4.21)

autofitted saved as support asset does

the only thing needed is to edit rigging convert to blended weight 

(g9 and clothing )

but not everything will work due to other factors 

getting to the point, Genesis 9 will be something I will spend money on (when I get some) because I can use it in Carrara yes

DAZ didn't get a lot of money from me for G8.1 wink

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

Thanks for this Mada! Lots of questions that I need to get my head around.

Thanks for pointing out the utilities I hadn't looked at those yet.

Previewing the templates looks interesting.

I wondered how to use the headsplitter deformer and that's in there also.

Thanks

Pen

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085

Extremely usefulinformation.  Thank you.  Would probably have overlooked the utilities tab.

edited October 2022

1st question: Created a very basic long sleeve top. It fits when I bring it into DS but when I use the transfer utility it seems to distort the mesh. Why? Does this mean that clothing needs to be slightly bigger?

distorted mesh.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 482K
    prior to using utility.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 556K
    Post edited by Pendraia on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,220

What were your settings in Transfer Utility? Remember that default G9 is in between masculine and feminine, so you'd need to set your source to "current" or "morph".

That was it Gordig...my poor old brain is a bit slow this afternoon. Took it into zbrush and adjusted for the base and it works beautifully

barbult said:

Mada said:

Do you mean use the OBJ I exported from MD with the Transfer Utility in DS, just like we have done for G8?

Yes :)

nonesuch00 said:

a) Are the utilities you talk of the Dev Load, Clothing Template Load and the other 2 menus are the very bottom of the Parameters tab?

a) Jay mentioned being able to adjust the clothing fit better in G9 because of I think changing the buffer gap between the character and the clothing better. Is that right? How to do that? I see on the G9 Base Bra there is no sort of change that I see with regard to fit & autofitting but on the Summertide Bottom there is a parameter called Adjustable Weightmap Layer Panty and it's defaulted at 1.0? How to you use these two types to stop poke-through and get a better draped fit?

a) Yes

b) There should be a PDF in the clothing folder that explains how to use the Adjustable Weightmap Layer on clothing, but in case its not I'm attaching the PDF :) If you're talking about dforce for draping, the Summertide its not set up for dforce.

pdf
    pdf
    Summertide Bikini !!!Dynamic Weightmaps.pdf

Pendraia said:

That was it Gordig...my poor old brain is a bit slow this afternoon. Took it into zbrush and adjusted for the base and it works beautifully

If you watch this video it explains how to get the base shape from the female shape right in DS :)

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020

Thank you for the info! 

thanks...I've got it working by fitting it to the base shape and then creating a morph for feminine body shape but the video will be useful also.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,247

Mada said:

Pendraia said:

If you watch this video it explains how to get the base shape from the female shape right in DS :)

are there other videos like this? Josh Darling's channel has them unlisted 

Its unlisted for now yes - that's the only one for Genesis 9 utitilies right now

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481

Mada said:

b) There should be a PDF in the clothing folder that explains how to use the Adjustable Weightmap Layer on clothing, but in case its not I'm attaching the PDF :) If you're talking about dforce for draping, the Summertide its not set up for dforce.

Just a note. Of course this will generate a custom weight map for the figure. That will be saved on the scene file. If you want to use the figure on multiple scenes than save as support asset. From this point of view the smoothing modifier is much better since it doesn't need to be saved as support asset.

edited October 2022

The weightmap is for quick and fast poke through fixes, especially after layers in dforce or extreme poses. If you want to use the fix in multiple scenes then its better to export a morph and import that into your clothing.

Post edited by Mada on
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    edited October 2022

A morph will not work for animation/different poses, but just on that specific single pose. A custom weight map will most likely be effective on multiple poses, assuming the poke follows the mesh. Unless I misunderstand what you mean.

Post edited by Padone on

You misunderstood yes :) The weightmaps are primarly for dforce poke throughs after draping or posing and not meant for animations. It can be used to fix poke through in character morphs as well, and in that case it would be better to export the fix as a morph. That way it will load in the clothing everytime you apply the character morph.

Mada said:

barbult said:

Mada said:

Yes :)

Thanks, I did so, and it came out much better.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Mada said:

nonesuch00 said:

a) Yes

OK, thank you. I will try it out.

edited October 2022

I haven't had chance to watch the video but I've had some success which I'm really happy with. I was getting really frustrated yesterday as the process is a little bit different and I was using the transfer utility as I had in the past with poor results but by using the utilities to load the dress template and then using that in the transfer utility I was able to get it to work. Doing a happy dance right now...please ignore the poor render and surfaces. This has no uv's yet. It will be dforce rather than conforming.

I just needed some distance to get it to work...my brain was in a loop yesterday.

dress.png
    1000 x 1300 - 720K
    Post edited by Pendraia on