"Brace yourself, my dear wallet! There's always another Sale - and Glitches!"

Comments

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306

Well, they got me again...;)  I went way over budget buying up all the older items on my wishlist.    Still, I'm always glad to have a cart full that averages to about a dollar an item.  The hardest part of using old clothes on G3F is finding them in the directories.  Since almost all of it gets installed to the Pose directory under the Poser Formats library, I have to wade through everything to find the clothing.  And, it doesn't help that names often have nothing to do with the outfit.  Along with that, you have the sometimes PA prefix, sometimes not.

There must be a better way to organize all these old items to make them easily accessible. 

If you use Install Manager to install, just ask it where it installed the files, and it will tell you exactly where to look, regardless of the wierd naming convention used by the PA.

• cdpro_2831bbd990cdpro_2831bbd990 Posts: 1,430

Also, anyone know how to save a generation 4 multi piece outfit as a single duf file after conforming to G3F?   I can save as "prop asset" for individual pieces, just haven't figured out how to do the whole outfit.

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,048

Hard to say no to a bunch of items that are less than 50 cents each in your cart (gotta luv blowout sales)... Victoria's wardrobe closet is now overflowing, I neeed a bigger closet...

Another morning, another $16 to Daz!  The 'any new items for add'l discount' thing really opens up a LOT of options, with 4+ pages of new releases!

cheeky

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,253
    NorthOf45 said:

One word: Categories. Make your own category system, where you can arrange (and re-arrange, and re-re-arrange)) products any way you want without touching the original file structure. Could take a while if you have many products, but the relief from frustration is worth it.

Is there a way to do this when the files are installed?  I mean, is there any sort of DIM or other script that will allow you to type in category tags prior to install?  This would help immensely.  That way I would have them in the proper folder before starting the hunt.

Using DIM, the only control you initially have is which library to use (if you have more than one). The file structure is copied from the zip file using the manifest. There are a couple of threads that discuss the whole organizing process and various approaches to doing it.

• Rod Wise DriggoRod Wise Driggo Posts: 2,151

Am I seeing things? Could swear that Evi Promo was saying that its 20% extra once buying two or more products right after DAZ midnight. Now it's again just the intro discount plus free Girl 7 base figure. Hate those promos where I can only get stuff which I already have. So instead of getting Evi, Beach House and Emeka I might skip the promo althogether for now and waite a little.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,787

So far this month, all I have purchased are cheap V4 items, as there hasn't been anything else compelling; I've spent a blistering $3.88...

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,456
    edited May 2017

Am I seeing things? Could swear that Evi Promo was saying that its 20% extra once buying two or more products right after DAZ midnight. Now it's again just the intro discount plus free Girl 7 base figure. Hate those promos where I can only get stuff which I already have. So instead of getting Evi, Beach House and Emeka I might skip the promo althogether for now and waite a little.

I could swear that's what it said earlier, an extra 20% for two or more. I didn't try it in the cart. I guess the lower discounts are mostly here to stay. I would guess the habitual high discounts really hurt the PAs.

Post edited by firewarden on
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

I put stuff in my cart last night, shortly after midnight.  At that time, I did not see any extra 20% offer.  I only saw the free Girl 7 base offer.  

Today's deal didn't really move me.  While I'd like to have the Girl 7, I can't really drop another $33 on other stuff.  I do like the beach house.  I particularly like that it has breakers for the beach instead of just calm water.

But, that addon sale is lame by comparison to the past few days.  I mean, it's rare that I buy a V4 item for more that $3.  I really have to want it.  I buy up the older hairstyles, if they are a bargain.  There are a lot of good ones.  However, I wish they'd get an update to better resolution and Iray shaders.  The newer hair shaders do work...but, I think ones created for a specific hair would look better.  But, since I have to do a lot of updating to make good use of older items, it just doesn't seem worth it to pay more than a couple of dollars for them.  I bought up a huge amount of V4 stuff in this past few days' sales.  But, it's hit or miss as to how well I'll be able to incorporate them for G3F. 

I managed to knock a hundred items off my wish list.  But, I think that I've also managed to add about 50 more...LOL.  One of these days, it's going to hit me that I'm spending a ton of time and cash on what is essentially, air.  Oh well...I do have fun shopping. :)

• greatguy351greatguy351 Posts: 52

I did the same thing.  I started to empty my wish list down, but after Daz's policy of just 30% off of new releases, no matter how many I buy, my wish list is growing.  And so is my bank account because I'm not buying anything.  There hasn't bee enough incentive for me to buy for just 30% off.  The add on items too have been lame.  I don't want stuff for genesis 2.  I already have enough stuff that I haven't rendered out, so I can wait a long time even though a lot of the new stuff has been cool.  Still even some of the New stuff has been a little sub par.  Maybe it is just me, but a lot of the new outfits seem to lack detail. I will just wait for a sale.  I know I am not the only one that feels this way and for someone that has spent lots of money on Daz items I'm sure that Daz will be feeling the pain.

Also the longer something remains in my wishlist, the less likely I will buy it.

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

Was going to chime in earlier, but I didn't want to be that guy. lol

It's weird to see the V4 items on discount -down from $19.95. I get that you're blowing it out, but how can something so old have such a high starting price?

I get the subconcious "I'm getting it for THIS when it really could be THIS FULL PRICE!" salesman trick, but wow.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited May 2017
    avxp said:

Was going to chime in earlier, but I didn't want to be that guy. lol

It's weird to see the V4 items on discount -down from $19.95. I get that you're blowing it out, but how can something so old have such a high starting price?

I get the subconcious "I'm getting it for THIS when it really could be THIS FULL PRICE!" salesman trick, but wow.

i commented in a similar manner a few pages back; they invariably take extra work to get sorted; that makes them less valuable; there are other issues, so 80% off (what I consider to be) and inflated price is not a good deal.

I buy the occasionally figure, as they can look good converted to G3, but again, lots of work, and V4 era I just find more trouble than it's worth to use natively.

80% is where they should be before the offers.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,336
    edited May 2017

I did the same thing.  I started to empty my wish list down, but after Daz's policy of just 30% off of new releases, no matter how many I buy, my wish list is growing.  And so is my bank account because I'm not buying anything.  There hasn't bee enough incentive for me to buy for just 30% off.  The add on items too have been lame.  I don't want stuff for genesis 2.  I already have enough stuff that I haven't rendered out, so I can wait a long time even though a lot of the new stuff has been cool.  Still even some of the New stuff has been a little sub par.  Maybe it is just me, but a lot of the new outfits seem to lack detail. I will just wait for a sale.  I know I am not the only one that feels this way and for someone that has spent lots of money on Daz items I'm sure that Daz will be feeling the pain.

Also the longer something remains in my wishlist, the less likely I will buy it.

Ditto and especially just 30% off old VP items being introduced as new jut doesn't get it. So far I've only spent $3 this month as opposed to over $800 last month.

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

I love the old stuff, and I love bargains, so I've been hitting the blowouts pretty hard, but only if the item is: A.) A true bargain and B.) Something I love. I guess I should also throw in "something I'll actually use" too. They do take some work, but the V4 and M4 items tend to convert much easier than the M3 and V3 stuff. My only problem is finding them once I buy them. They get lost in the black hole of digital content. So I'm using Ati and Overdrawn's browser add-on features a lot to shop using the "show only what I own" option. Helps to remind me of what I've already got. 

My favorite bargains this week included DM sets for under $1 along with characters and outfits as low as 22 cents. I also liked getting the Optitex dynamic clothing sets very cheaply. The bundles were $3-$4 and individual items were $1-2. I think a few were 67 cents or something.

Here's a test render of an older DM set and an Optitex dress. They do convert well to Iray: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2429051/#Comment_2429051

As for the new stuff, there are some great things coming out, but there's no way to keep up unless you win the lottery. Lots on the wishlist. Seems like I did that around this time last year too, then picked them up later in PA, PC+ and Christmas sales.

edited May 2017

Prices were once much higher than today, as evidenced by the screeenshot from the Wayback Machine in 2001; and these are in Dollars that are worth $1.38 in today's money.  wink

However, even 70% off of a $24.95 Genesis 2 outfit is still a major investment compared to prices in the not-to-distant past...

DAZ2001a.jpeg
    1395 x 1104 - 178K
    Post edited by WandW on
  • donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

DAZ has gotten me a number of times with this sale... probably about $45 worth of purchases total this month, maybe more. 

But it has been pretty selective stuff that was on the steepest discounts, where I could use my monthly coupons to maximize my discount. A lot of the stuff I want is too much still, and went into the wish list. 30% off or even less - isn't going to cut it. 

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

I guess everybody will have plenty of budget left for the G3 Blowout Memorial Day weekend, eh?

• AtiAti Posts: 9,083

I guess everybody will have plenty of budget left for the G3 Blowout Memorial Day weekend, eh?

Hmm?

Just looking at patterns.

Maybe it will be a Generation 3 Blowout; I still have ac ouple of V3 items on my WL...  smiley

Seriously?  Today's big deal is for 90% off a few teddy bears???  There's only about a gillion woods related products that could have been included for a more interesting promo.  I'm starting to feel like the promo deals are cracker Jack prizes.

Yeah, I always figured they were bonuses and the main event was the new releases, myself.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

My second purchase of the month $1.60ish - 3 old characters that might have skins that convert; the shapes might also be worth doing too.

Ghostlights 2, my previous is a brilliant product, and becuase of it im also using Ghostlights 1 more. I forgot I had it. :)

Nothing tempting really.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306
    edited May 2017

Seriously?  Today's big deal is for 90% off a few teddy bears???  There's only about a gillion woods related products that could have been included for a more interesting promo.  I'm starting to feel like the promo deals are cracker Jack prizes.

I was also some what underwhelmed at the related items offered. You see 90% off mentioned, get all excited, and then glance at what is on offer, and the excitement evaporates very fast!

Post edited by Havos on
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,336

And only items in Fast Grab.

edited May 2017

I'm glad it's not just me. I was wondering if somehow I had bought up all the other teddy bears and stuff, and that's why there were only 4 in there. Sorry, 90% off four teddy bears just doesn't excite me all the much. There are plenty of very nice new releases this week, but almost everything is over $20. So I can buy 1 item or 10-20 in the flash sales lately. Not a hard choice.

Post edited by Llynara on
  • tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,048
    edited May 2017

Yeah the Teddy Bear sale was a massive dissapointment for me too.  All excited about the discount until I saw what the discount applied to.

Mind you, Teddy Bears are all fine and good, but I have a few of those already.  And since I'm not planning on doing a Teddy Ruxpin style thingie anytime soon, yeah... if they had thrown in the previous version of Duckie just for fun, maybe.

Same for the other sales going on right now (Herc, Evi, Barbarians, Tough and Gritty).  None of them are moving me.  My Daz collection is pretty far along at this point, although still a tiny fraction of everything in the Daz Library.

It'd been nice if they'd offered Girl 6 as an alternative freebie to Girl 7 if you already have Girl 7.  Since I already have Girl 7, yeah no reason to move on the Evi sale.

The Genesis 2 Sale has also failed to move me.  Probably because I grabbed most of the stuff I needed during the March Madness event, but yeah the Daz Original blowout is a MUCH more interesting sale by comparison.  Sure, a number of my wishlist items are on sale, but thanks to the Daz Deals plugin, I see that they have been offered for lower prices in the past (even after discount), so they remain in my wishlist for now.  There will always be another sale, as the thread says...

I'll probably dip into the Daz Original blowout one last time today, but it'll probably be the smallest purchase (other than free items) that I've ever made from Daz (less than $10).  I saw something very worthwhile that I missed earlier (gotta luv bundles!)...

Those Platinum Club New Items that I've been waffling over have come in handy for the blowout sales!

Post edited by tj_1ca9500b on

With the prices overall on new releases being on the rise lately, I look for a reason to buy.  So, those promos have become more important.  I'm looking for them to be items​ I've had in my wish list, or at least a huge value.

Good choices for this promo would have been woodland sets, cabins, rangers, elves, forest creatures...etc.  normal bears would have been good.

• Kind of thin today except for Vanishing Point products (mostly Poser & of no use to me). Having Vanishing Point move to DAZ is great but he needs more native DS products. What is disappointing is that you "have" to buy a new release to get a discount on featured artists store items.
    edited May 2017

PC+ releases will trigger the discounts. I try to spread my PC+ purchases out to use them like this. 

Also, I noticed three of the Vanishing Point items "vanished" from the store: 

Country Lane Bridge, Corn Crib and Derelict Barn all show 404 errors now when trying to get to their pages:

When I opened my cart in a new window, Country Lane Bridge and Corn Crib disappeared from my cart. Not sure if they're fixing them or just pulling them. Kind of annoying to spend time picking out stuff I want and then having it pulled from my cart. 

VP sale.JPG
    912 x 570 - 39K
    Post edited by Llynara on
This discussion has been closed.