Art ? Yess, but not here my preciousss... those nasty hobbittsses stole it and replaced it with cra

3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
edited February 7 in Art Studio

patoa erupting, spewing fountains of over-ripe Camembert

Links to other pages of this thread (why does this stupid forum put them at the bottom of the first post?)  =>     1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13... last post*[snigger]

I know the whole 'but is it art?' thing has been done to death many times over on this and other forums so let's forget about that. My own view is this: if you think that what you're doing is art, then it's art. Except when it isn't.

I did good art when I was a toddler 5¾ - I'm reserving this post for the best art I ever did, assuming that I ever find it again.

(space reserved for a photo/scan of my crayon picture of the first moon landing, complete with command module, lunar module, space monsters, and cowboys with giant springs in their boots)

(I think the title, written on the page by the artist, was something like "the space men are all redde walking on the moon")

Found it... sadcrying

I'm SO disappointed that I want to cry ! Where are the space monsters ? Where are the cowboys with giant springs in their boots ?

The rest of this thread will be all downhill - mostly old renders originally posted over at RDNA. I don't do art now, just stupid pictures. And I have this overwhelming urge to inflict them on other people... ;o)

1) Index to pictures posted in this thread, mainly to help me keep track of what I've already posted here:

1. Overheating | Dragon Slayer | Ready ForAction | Djumbo | The Usual Suspects | The Truth Is Out There | Our Cupboard | The Horror You Didn'tKnow | The Mis-SpeltKnight | The Kiss | Ten Of Swords |
  2. Gorgeous | Female Fantasy Armour (Male Fantasy Variety) + Family Jewels | Cthulhuterus ! (Not Your Traditional Mother Goddess...)King Of Tentacles | Demonstration Of Human Visual Cortex Safety Mechanism (SEP Reaction) | Nasty Puddles | The Morning After The All Hallows Eve Before... | Summer Sizzlin' Beach Bar-B-Q !The Legendary Sword Of Finfandir The Mighty, Dragonslayer | Jack And RoseDollies' Tea Party | 8 Of WarbirdsWrong Galaxy ! | Bargain Bin | Soul CandlesThe Hanged Mangababe | Lost | Gardening | The Naughty Elf Present (story only) | Snow MachinesMr Hoppity |
  3. We Wish You A Very Niburu Christmas | Merry Apocalypse | Red Menace | Just Mince Pies And Brandy ? | Carrot And Stick | Scrumpy Drunk Yellowjackets | Spaghetti EyesStarchildBack To Sleep | Why Didn't I Bring The Bazonka ?Unbelievable TalesThe Angry Elephant | Goodbye Joe | Of Piffleguns And Bazonkas | Warriors Of Hatta | Famine's Dilemma (Parts 1 + 2) | Emasculatimilda | Give It Back !Here Kitty, Kitty !Cyberbabe Clone Troopers | More Warriors Of Hatta | Warrior Princess ? | Barbarian Queen | Vote V4 Historical Armour | Danger Lurks... | Various ideas for NSF contest |
  4. Sharks With Frickin Lasers On Their Heads (and other NSF Contest stuff) | Feed The Muse -Eggs ! | New Year...But Which Year? | Cheerleader? | Reminding The Little Ones Not To Try Flying Until Their Wings Have Grown | How Big Should Elf Ears Be? | The Unexpected Perils Of Being A Retro Spacegirl In A Non-Retro SciFi Movie...| What Are You Looking At ? Go Away ! Shoo ! | Sci-Fi Crosstalk (+ Something To Do With The Amount Of Time People Spend In Their Computer/Iphone/Online World... + Behind The 404... + The Case Of The Missing Hussars) | "Quaint little seaview cottage in an interesting and unique fishing village" | Argh ! My Ankle ! and Zap! (Sexy Bald Spacebabes) | ideas for Santa Cthlaus | idea for inside-out face | photos of my render beast | The Dark Within | Helping Hand |
  5. The Snake Dancer | {hunt the catch} | Explaining 'En Passant To A Rancor | Free All-You-Can-Eat Beach BBQ Buffet | Centaur:The Failed Crossbreeds (parts 1 and 2) | Is That You ? | Summer Scene | Mountain Air | I'm Genesis,I'mSuperior To You ! | Gothic Supermarionation | Don't Forget The Temporal Lubricant | Suede | Surprise ! | Thep Kinaree | Hi Boys ! |
  6. The Master Puppeteer | Waiting Up | The High Priest Of Quetzalkebabshop | {Poetry corner...} | Shhh! I'm Hiding ! | Miss May And The Dragon | Month Of The Dragoons | Dwarf Entering The Dragon's Lair | Snarly Charlie Perhaps? | The Spirit Bridge | The Curse Of The Pharaoh's Tomb | The AngelOf Death | Winged Assassin | Cast Down | How Utterly Delightful ! Lunch IsTrying To Escape | The Light Within | You're NOT Leaving This House Dressed LikeTHAT, Young Lady ! | Well...? |
  7. Gazpacho... With Condiments | Smokin' | {links to more of Charlie} | One Man And His Dog | Free Fall (twovariants) + Spirit Of TheWind | All The Better To... EAT YOU WITH! | About the Veendmeelll Of Terroooor... | Flamingoraptor ? | I'm Too Sexy For My Shirt (and Shorts) + Suburberus, Demon Dog Of Dark Alleys + Nice Doggy | Extract from GRR Trollkin's Field Guide To Fantasy Species | Another Sexy BaldSpace Babe + SpaceDwarf +Fred | Elite Imperial Monkeytrooper + Chiana! What Have They Done To You? | Space Bimbos Of The Galaxy... | {Modelling the Encounter V4 helmet} | Flowers Baby ?For Mummy ? + The Warlords Of Tash And Goatee |

~ # ~ # ~ # ~ # ~ # ~ # ~ # ~ # ~ # ~ # ~ # ~ # ~ # ~ # 

Since the dumping ground for sundry rubbish that is my second post was almost at full capacity, it started to overflow back into this post. I then put my emergency pumps into action and siphoned off some of the dross to other threads.But I decided to leave the stuff that had already overflowed into this post alone.

8) Avatar Repository - these are a few of the avatar images that I've used for this username on various websites:

9) For posterity, a list of all the aliases under which this thread has gone
     - Errr, I've forgotten all most of the previous ones - perhaps I should have started this list earlier ?
     - Art ? Don't be stupid !
     - 
Art ? Of course,  but not here my friend. Now move along - you're obstructing the corridor... ... ..
     - Art ? Of course,  but not here my precious... those nasty hobbitses stole it and replaced it with rubbish !

9a) Current alias:

- ɒɿɔ blo ɘmɒƨ ɘʜɈ Ɉƨυį ,γllɒɘɿ Ɉon - ƨƨɒlϱ ϱniʞool ɘʜɈ ʜϱυoɿʜɈ ɘɈɒʞƨqɒɘʜƆႧƐ

9b) As-yet unused aliases
     - Art ? With a nice bottle of Chianti...  Fffff...fff...ffffff !
     - Art ? No. Just seeing how long a title the DAZ forums will allow.......................................................................
     - ˙˙˙ǝʌıʇɔǝdsɹǝd ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ʎןǝʇıuıɟǝp ʇnq 'oN ¿ ʇɹ∀

*Links should really be less ambiguous - I prefer most recent post, or perhaps latest post. [chuckle].

Post edited by 3dcheapskate on

Comments

• 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
    edited September 2022

>>>TO SKIP OVER THIS POST AND GO STRAIGHT TO THE NEXT ONE (3 IMAGES ENTITLED "OVERHEATING") CLICK THIS LINK<<<

This second post is a multi-purpose junk drawer. Feel free to ignore it - I do ! Click the above link to go to the next post where the stupid pictures start.

If you're a glutton for punishment and just can't wait then see the Pointless Prizeless Challenge #87: Render A Ridiculous RPG Character thread in the Art Studio forum for some pre-rendered stupid* pictures).

*With the adjective 'stupid' I'm referring specifically to the pictures that I did for that thread. A few other people have posted pictures there. Pictures posted by other people may well be art. (that bit's deleted because this post has changed so much that it doesn't make sense any more. That bit. Not this post.)

1) The index to pictures posted in this thread is now in the OP

2) Pointless Prizeless Challenge Index:

3) Some of my favourite off-the-wall movies and movie scenes, in no particular order (except that in which they came to mind). Just in case anybody wants to see what makes me tick!:

4) Some of my favourite sensible/intelligent* videos (I've tried to link to the official website, or official Youtube channel of the creator, rather than just any old re-upload):

5) Books/Authors:

• Tom Holt: Expecting Someone Taller
    • Bob Shaw: "Who Goes Here" was my favourite. So was "A Wreath Of Stars". In fact, so were most of his books. Probably.
    • Robert Rankin: The Brentford trilogy (I only knew about the first three books)
    • Saki (H.H.Munro): "The Unrest Cure" was probably my favourite, though I loved all his short stories.

6) A place for attaching various pictures I need on these 'ere DAZ forums (they're attached to this post).

7) The list of links to old freebie challenges has been moved to the Jul2018 freebie challenge thread

...see OP for items 8 onwards...

Useful stuff that I always forget:

Anybody recall the Poser fix to get Freak 4 working without that dent in his biceps ? 
    Anybody recall the Poser fix to get Vicky 4's eyes to close ?
    araneldon's Mix K4M4V4 morphs - basically a very small CR2 file (it's the 'M4channels.pz2' that's the important stuff)

number 6
         }
    readScript ":Runtime:Libraries:Character:DAZ People:The Kids 4.cr2"
    readScript ":Runtime:Libraries:Morphs:araneldon:M4channels.pz2"
    readScript ":Runtime:Libraries:Morphs:araneldon:V4channels.pz2"
    }

To use V4 UVs on M4 you just need a version of the 'blMilMan_m4b.obj' but with V4 UVs (mine is '!blMilMan_m4b+V4UV.obj'), and you need to change the two 'figureResFile' lines in the CR2 to use this. Also works between other figures that use the same mesh, e.g. Kids 4, V4, M4. I discovered the method here Kids 4 M4V4Textures Remap - Poser - ShareCG (RTEncoder needed - RTEncoder (Download link in description) (renderosity.com)) although it's also here M4-V4 Remap - Poser - ShareCG - I think that uses the same method ? I haven't tried that one though.

Helgard's Underwater Submarine thread (Poser stuff)

Disable/Enable Windows fonts • GIMP Chat

1PNU=103.2" ½ ¼ ° © ™ ® ☠ £ 

Some cra from a sheet of paper I found

64 book rows/stacks for poser
    - modify earlier version to use same mats (rename morphs?)
    - random colour
    -shuffler

Grass
    - why does conformed grass flip ?

Freazypozse/DeltaadddeltaAdd for Poser 12, flowcharts

Candle
    - remove emitter from prop - only for figure (or separate nested prop?)
    - remove smoke
    create just flame prop
    - Figure: add disconnected actor Flame->LightPlaceHolder, use ERC from morphs to adjust psition

*I'm not a complete idiot - just mostly.

RememberBanner.jpg
    700 x 150 - 31K
    AddTag.jpg
    440 x 442 - 33K
    Search.jpg
    516 x 489 - 37K
    edited March 2019

Overheating

Three for the price of one, a series called 'Overheating'. Individual pictures cleverly entitled 'Overheating', 'Overheating II' and Overheating III'. Clever, eh ?

Overheating.jpg
    850 x 638 - 61K
    OverheatingII.jpg
    850 x 850 - 72K
    OverheatingIII.jpg
    850 x 638 - 133K
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited November 2017

Looking forward to more stupid lol.  The real question isn't wether its art or not, its do you enjoy doing it.

I am quite enjoying your Ridiculous RPG Character thread, I just haven't had much time to participate.

I quite like the progression of the overheating series.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152

I don't do art. I dabble ;) So feel free to label my contributions to the RPG Character thread silly images.

• mori_mann said:

I don't do art. I dabble ;) So feel free to label my contributions to the RPG Character thread silly images.

Ah, but dabbling is as dabbling does, and many a mickle makes a muckle...

Those folks in them olden days were very wise, with their wise sayings for every occasion

edited November 2017
    Looking forward to more stupid lol.

Really ?  :o)

The real question isn't wether its art or not, its do you enjoy doing it.

Indeed !

I am quite enjoying your Ridiculous RPG Character thread, I just haven't had much time to participate.

I'm hoping that a few other people will lose their inhibitions and post pictures of stupid characters over there

I quite like the progression of the overheating series.

Andy* doesn't like them, and he swore he'd get his revenge - that's reminded me of a stupid picture I never completed. Maybe it's time to try to finish it?

*Milkman Andy, the Poser mannequin figure who's the victim of my little melting joke

edited November 2017

Dragonslayer

I've always been amused by those ridiculously large swords...

(if any ex-RDNA-ers are looking in you might recognise this and other pictures)

DragonSlayer.jpg
    989 x 862 - 238K
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Dragonslayer

Thanks 3dcheapskate, that one made my day!!!

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

LMAO - I love it!

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

Dragonslayer

Lol this should be remebered by some RPG players and the depiction of their characters. where did you even get the styropor transport boy for that ?

edited November 2017
    Linwelly said:
    ...where did you even get the styropor transport boy for that ?

That was a quick bit of DIY - deleted half of the sword mesh, inverted the normals, extruded the newly exposed edges a couple of times and made the box shape from those. The styrofoam effect was a really simple DIY shader using a cellular node/brick.

edited November 2017

Ready For Action

"There's no point in going into one of your tantrums, Thorin! You should have been more specific when you said 'Let's get geared up for action and meet back here'...."

7Dwarfs-3-Clean.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 481K
    Linwelly said:

Dragonslayer

Lol this should be remebered by some RPG players and the depiction of their characters. where did you even get the styropor transport boy for that ?

LOVE this lol

• ChameoChameo Posts: 306

Dragonslayer

LOL! Love this! I used to take a lot of grief on text RPGs because my characters insisted on using daggers, dirks and other reasonably sized (and easily hidden) weapons.

edited January 2018

No title necessary for this one...

...the blue eyed, coffin dragging, gunslinging pachydermof course.

You really need the music to go with this - from the original 1966 Django - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_OiUURbYlQ

(or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wNOLXBNNSQ if you prefer the original original. Argue about whether it's really the original original somewhere else please!  ;o) )

"Djumbo, have you always been alone ? Djumbo, have you never loved again ? ..."

Djumbo.jpg
    612 x 850 - 89K
    edited November 2017

The Usual Suspects

No, I don't have anything that'd pass for a werewolf - so I used the DAZ Big Bad Wolf.

Consequences.jpg
    850 x 425 - 66K
    edited November 2017

The Truth Is Out There

Yes, most UFOs are actually silver-bodypainted gnomes fired from catapults !

AtLast.jpg
    443 x 850 - 93K
    edited November 2017

Our Cupboard !

It's OURS ! We found it first ! Go and find your own!

InTheCupboard3.jpg
    850 x 850 - 83K

Our Cupboard !

It's OURS ! We found it first ! Go and find your own!

This is creepy as he**

The Usual Suspects

No, I don't have anything that'd pass for a werewolf - so I used the DAZ Big Bad Wolf.

This one made me laugh!  Great idea!

edited November 2017

Thank you !

A lot of these (but not all) are things that I only posted at RDNA for the monthly challenges. I thought I'd lost them, but found backups a few weeks ago. This next picture is from the very last RDNA challenge "Fairytales Gone Horribly Wrong". The picture was really an afterthought - the story came first

The Horror You Didn't Know

...and as the huntsman raised his axe Snow White fell to her knees sobbing.
        He hesitated.
        "Oh, dear huntsman, please don't kill me!" she begged, "Let me live. I will run into the forest and never come back!"
        A sigh passed his lips, "I would spare you if I could dear Princess, but the queen demands evidence that I have fulfilled my task."
        She let out a little gasp.
        "Evidence? Ah, I see...", and taking a delicate pair of scissors from her manicure set, she cut off a lock of her hair. With a hopeful, but worried smile she offered it to the huntsman.
        Even as he shook his head tears began to well in the hunstman's eyes. How could he kill this poor, naive little creature?
        "I'm afraid that the queen demands more."
        "More!" gasped Snow White in shock. "Not, not my... my hairbands!!"
        "No, not your hairbands", replied the huntsman. And he drew his hand across his throat in a grim gesture.
        She reached for her throat in terror, clutching at , "Not my cape! I'm only permitted to take that off in the privacy of my own room!"
        "It is neither mere keepsakes nor garments that your stepmother requires. She wishes to dine on your lungs and liver!"
        Snow White blanched in horror (which is quite a feat for a girl with Snow White skin). It looked as if she was going to vomit, and the huntsman took a half step backwards.
        "Yuk! That's disgusting!" she cried, "That would taste really horrible!", and despite her best efforts to maintain the decorum of a princess she started retching.
        After a few minutes she started taking deep breaths and gradually regained her composure. Being a princess she apologized to the huntsman for her behaviour, and then a puzzled expression appeared on her face.
        "Not my head?" she queried, "Just the icky bits from inside my belly?"
        "Errr... yes..." replied the huntsman.
        She giggled. This was definitely not the reaction that the huntsman had expected.
        "Silly bitch!" whispered Snow White under her breath, and she giggled again. Seeing the confused look on the huntsman's face, she explained.
        "She wouldn't be able to tell the difference if you were to take the innards of a wild beast to show her, would she?"
        "Errr... no, she wouldn't."
        Snow White was already casting her gaze around, and suddenly a huge smile crossed her face.
        "Perfect timing," she cried, "look, it's Bambi's mum* !"

*Editorial note: Some of you will undoubtedly be thinking, "No, no, it was a boar's lungs and liver that the hunter took to the queen". You'd be absolutely correct. But personally I would argue that the pathos, disbelief, horror, and outrage associated with the onscreen slaying of Bambi's mother had more impact than the offscreen slaughter of Babe's parents...

WhatYouDidntKnow.jpg
    849 x 850 - 182K
    edited September 2022

The Mis-Spelt* Knight

*or perhaps if you prefer, Mis-Spelled ?

Knight_Of_Tentacles.jpg
    450 x 650 - 148K
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Our Cupboard is wonderful! The lighting is creepy, the characters full of personality- everything comes together just right!  The Usual Suspects is quite fun too. 

edited November 2017

Thanks! Although my own personal favourites (out of all the pictures I've ever done) change daily I think that Our Cupboard is usually near the top. The original idea was a single sad-looking puppet in a glass-fronted cabinet cupboard - I'd found some great V4 puppet/mime poses (RDNA freebies by Island Girl I think - still free as IGD_Pantomime here at DAZ) and was just playing. But there were two poses I really liked, so I added a second puppet - and the way he was looking at the camera over his left shoulder just demanded the clown makeup (RDNA MortemVetus freebie, Thr3e, 4our, KillJoy, and/or Rot - still available free on MV site ). And then I remembered that kids' game called sardines, and a totally unrelated conversation with a friend reminded me how unusual empty cupboards are (do you have any empty cupboards in your house?)

Putting stuff in a cupboard claims ownership !

And I also realized that if your house is plagued with goblins then the best way to catch them is with an empty cupboard!

(My world is so much more fun to live in than the real world...)

P.S. Big thank you to everybody who's posted comments so far (IceDragonArt, mori_mann, Sven Dullah, Worlds_Edge, Linwelly, Chameo, Novica - I think that's everybody ?) I've read (and appreciate) them all, even if I haven't responded directly.

P.P.S. You do realize, don't you, that by posting comments you're only encouraging me to post more stupid pictures ? I've probably got a fortnights worth of them lined up, one a day...  wink

edited September 2018

...and in fact I'm so encouraged by the fact that this thread isn't being totally ignored that today, as a sort of a bonus (or punishment?), I'm uploading a second old-render-I-once-did-for-RDNA...

The Kiss

(Edit 5Sep18) A re-render + GIMP edit has now turned this into a fake book-cover...

TheKiss1.jpg
    820 x 850 - 101K
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

Nice one there, I like the greyscale and the metallic effect on those creatures, and then they say don't judge the kiss by the lover...

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

...and in fact I'm so encouraged by the fact that this thread isn't being totally ignored that today, as a sort of a bonus (or punishment?)

Hehe, I very much like your idea of punishment so just keep'em coming!

And that cupboard pic is really spot onyes

haha I bet the makers of Alien VS Predator did not have that particular concept in mind.  Nicely done!

• ChameoChameo Posts: 306

As a Tarot buff, you have no idea how much I appreciate your Mis-spelt knight! Also, the cupboard is much less creepy when you think of it as goblin kids playing sardines. And the fact that I think that is... probably creepy in and of itself.

edited November 2017

The Mis-Spelt knight was my first entry for an RDNA tarot challenge. Three more entries for that challenge are already lined upamongst my fortnights-worth of stoopid pikchuz (although the Mis-Spelt Knight was my only one that tried to copy the look of the classic Rider-Waite deck) .

(There's also a fifth which I didn't think was particularly stupid so it's not in my 'stoopid box'... but looking at it again...)

Ten Of Swords

Still to come: my takes on the King of Pentacles, Eight of Wands, and the Hanged man.You can probably make a good guess as to theme of the King, but unless you saw the pictures already Idoubt you'll guess what the 8 and Hanged Man are. (clue: only two of these remaining 3 cards have tentacles in them)

TenOfSwords.jpg
    647 x 850 - 61K