Michael and Friends Appreciation Association [Lots of images, please.]

Comments

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933

What I am about to say sort of counters the purpose of the thread, but "if you cannot have the best, make the best of what you have"... each of us I guess has at least a few dozen of female textures - and in my experience, they often work great for younger males, or non-human males like elves. The biggest problem would be eyebrows because too many female textures come with eyebrows that are fairly non-existent, but there are ways out ("transplants" in an image editor, eyebrow conformers, LAMH/Garibaldi...)

• ButchButch Posts: 797

Decent "masculine" eyebrows can be a little scarce. 

But, just to remind you that it's currently summer for some of us, here's two of my M7 characters enjoying a day out. 

Daz Studio/Octane Render with no postwork.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,165
    Butch said:

Decent "masculine" eyebrows can be a little scarce. 

But, just to remind you that it's currently summer for some of us, here's two of my M7 characters enjoying a day out. 

Daz Studio/Octane Render with no postwork.

Hey, Butch, that looks like "you" sitting by the tree! It is a very nice render. I like the coloration.

edited January 2016

Butch, did you attach that image from your Gallery? I haven't figured out how to do that. I submitted a help request asking how but got told that I should just upload it to the forum instead. So, if YOU know how to do it, can you please explain it so I can try?

Edit: I figured it out from what customer service told me wouldn't work right. It did work just fine.surprise

Post edited by barbult on
  • @barbult Not Butch, but I know the answer.  Go to your gallery image, click on it to get the full size image.  Right click on the image to bring up the menu and go down to where it says "image properties' or something like that.  That will bring up a box and in there, somewhere, is the full link to your render.  Copy that.  Click on the photo image in the menu above to bring up the add an image window (just like you would to add the image that you've uploaded via the attach file down below here) and paste your link into the spot for the link.  And, as @Chohole always says, make sure you set the width at 800 px.  That should do it.  And, since I put a little @ sign in front of Chohole's name she should magically appear and correct me if I got anything wrong.  She's good like that.wink  With her big stick and all.

edited January 2016

@barbult Not Butch, but I know the answer.  Go to your gallery image, click on it to get the full size image.  Right click on the image to bring up the menu and go down to where it says "image properties' or something like that.  That will bring up a box and in there, somewhere, is the full link to your render.  Copy that.  Click on the photo image in the menu above to bring up the add an image window (just like you would to add the image that you've uploaded via the attach file down below here) and paste your link into the spot for the link.  And, as @Chohole always says, make sure you set the width at 800 px.  That should do it.  And, since I put a little @ sign in front of Chohole's name she should magically appear and correct me if I got anything wrong.  She's good like that.wink  With her big stick and all.

Thanks for your detailed directions. I just got it figured out, by trying what customer service said would not work well, because the image would be all distorted. I did it anyway, and the image is fine, not distorted at all. I think it is essentially what you described above. I open the full image in the gallery and right click and select Copy Image Location. Then paste that in the URL for the image. Here is the image from my gallery. The list of products used is in the gallery here.

No need for Chohole to club you! wink

Like Knittingmommy said, almost...  right click on your gallery image and "copy image location" (in firefox, a least).  Chohole posted the instructions, with pics, in the "it's raining men" thread, but I couldn't find it when I just looked.    

As for my image, thanks Barbult smiley The black and white was actually done in Octane    My avatar was my first M7 model and I spent so much time working on his nose, all my other models inherited it with a few "genetic" differences.  In other words, I was being lazy lol

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,797
    edited January 2016

What I am about to say sort of counters the purpose of the thread, but "if you cannot have the best, make the best of what you have"... each of us I guess has at least a few dozen of female textures - and in my experience, they often work great for younger males, or non-human males like elves. The biggest problem would be eyebrows because too many female textures come with eyebrows that are fairly non-existent, but there are ways out ("transplants" in an image editor, eyebrow conformers, LAMH/Garibaldi...)

This is as well what I do to my males, by forcing them though the Skin Builder. That has the advantage of removing the preset eyebrows and coming with a selection of their own.

this is already half a year old but full of men anyway

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/f2/eca45b9473dc46e743c6e60d0c8703.jpg

Post edited by Linwelly on
    barbult said:

Oddly enough, I rather like this yes

Butch said:
    barbult said:

Thanks, Butch. I like him, too, because he seems more like a real person to me, than some of the out-of-the -box guys. I'm usually striving for normal, rather than sci-fi or fantasy.

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,282
    edited January 2016

After Butch's slice of Summer here is the other side ;-)

Special thanks to Beat for the Ski outfit and Jane hat and Patience for the mitts - like I said in her thread - I didn't know I needed them until she made them - but they had to go on this WIP. 3DL because I haven't bothered to convert everything to iray, yet.

Cold Snap.png
    1019 x 908 - 1M
    Post edited by 3Ddreamer on
  • SainsySainsy Posts: 50

Here's my Mikey

Back to Mikey again

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Butch said:

+1 He looks someone you might actually meet, or already know. Not some runway model. And the render is well done, too. It really doesn't look like a render.

edited January 2016
    L'Adair said:
    Butch said:

+1 He looks someone you might actually meet, or already know. Not some runway model. And the render is well done, too. It really doesn't look like a render.

laugh The title of the picture in my Gallery is "We're not all skinny male models"! The gallery image lists the products that I used.

Not so much counter as supplemental, I think. I find myself making do for both the men and women. Especially as I'm not into clothing that covers little and would require super-glue to keep from having a "wardrobe malfunction," if anyone tried to wear it in real life. More often than not, my renders include kit-bashed apparel, and there are certain hair items I use on either men or women. (I love Boris hair on the ladies, as much as on the men.)

But the truth is, if we saw twice as many items for the men as we've been seeing, the women's clothing and hair would still number more than twice that for the guys. And I believe the vendors who give us the same quality of men's clothing and/or hair will build a loyal customer base.

I've been really impressed with Out Of Touch's menswear, and hope he/she continues to offer them. As budget allows, I'll get most if not all of OOT's menswear here at DAZ. Perhaps at Rendo, as well. Other vendors whose male clothing has impressed me include IH Kang and Uzilite. And Luthbel and Luthbellina both came out with products included clothing for both G2M and G2F in one. I'm sure everyone has their favorite vendors depending as much on what their needs are as the quality of the products.

So while I will make do with what is available, I'll not stop trying to influence the vendors to give us a few more men, and a lot more men's clothing and men's hair.
    laugh

Linwelly said:
    this is already half a year old but full of men anyway

I love this sort of scenes where something is going on! And that fire looks awesome =)

barbult said:
    L'Adair said:

laugh The title of the picture in my Gallery is "We're not all skinny male models"! The gallery image lists the products that I used.

I second L'Adair's comment, the lighting and materials look lovely in this work. And it's refreshing to see a "character actor" instead of "a model".

L'Adair said:
    More often than not, my renders include kit-bashed apparel, and there are certain hair items I use on either men or women. (I love Boris hair on the ladies, as much as on the men.)

Have you gone far enough to kitbash hair models as well? I have =) Can't say it's been a particularly successful venture, but before I had a workable DS4 with LAMH and Garibaldi, it was the only way sometimes, like for this image. Diamond hair from the DAZ store and Aether hair from 3Dream's Rendo one.

The character is actually based on a real person - if you have ever heard of that Finnish pop rock band Reckless Love, it's supposed to be a likeness of their drummer.

The image is clickable and leads to the gallery page with info.

L'Adair said:
    More often than not, my renders include kit-bashed apparel, and there are certain hair items I use on either men or women. (I love Boris hair on the ladies, as much as on the men.)

Have you gone far enough to kitbash hair models as well?

Yes. lol... though perhaps not as obvious as in your image. Usually something as simple as using the scalp from one and the hair from another. I have also duplicated the hair, hid one scalp and varied the morphs to give the hair a fuller look. I've only done that with hair in Iray, though, when the hair looks thin after applying Mec4d's Unshaven 2 hair shaders. Seems only a handful of hair items still look good when those shaders replace the image maps.

L'Adair said:
    Seems only a handful of hair items still look good when those shaders replace the image maps.

It's really hard to make a model consisting of a few transmapped planes look anyhow resembling real hair which is a mass of tiny strands. So image maps do the most of the job, I'd say.

L'Adair said:
    L'Adair said:

Have you gone far enough to kitbash hair models as well?

Yes. lol... though perhaps not as obvious as in your image. Usually something as simple as using the scalp from one and the hair from another. I have also duplicated the hair, hid one scalp and varied the morphs to give the hair a fuller look. I've only done that with hair in Iray, though, when the hair looks thin after applying Mec4d's Unshaven 2 hair shaders. Seems only a handful of hair items still look good when those shaders replace the image maps.

If you want a fantastic Iray hair shader for transmapped hair, you want Slosh's UHT Hair Shaders!

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited January 2016

EDIT: AAARGH! Never mind. I do not understand the way this forum software works; that image should have been a link to a web page; it should not have opened the image itself.

Post edited by vwrangler on
    L'Adair said:
    Seems only a handful of hair items still look good when those shaders replace the image maps.

It's really hard to make a model consisting of a few transmapped planes look anyhow resembling real hair which is a mass of tiny strands. So image maps do the most of the job, I'd say.

How well the Unshaven 2 hair shaders work on hair objects is dependent on the transparency maps. If the trans map isolates individual hairs, it looks really great. But I've also had relatively good success applying them using ctrl-click/ignore. Or combining them. Char Hair, for example, has some nice whispy hair that looks good with just the shader applied. Then appplying the shader without replacing the maps for the rest of the hair ties it in nicely. Of course, using a black shader on blonde hair might not look good, but using a blonde shader on blonde hair does look good. It just takes some experimentation to get something you like.

barbult said:
    If you want a fantastic Iray hair shader for transmapped hair, you want Slosh's UHT Hair Shaders!

I've thought about getting that several times. However, I have some hair from OOT I bought over at Rendo and it has a really nice selection of hair colors that work with most of the hair items I have. It's a little more work, but money's tight. It's always tight, since I discovered DAZ Studio. I'm always having to decide what I can buy now, and what has to go into my wishlist until I actually need it.
    indecision

Okay. Time for an image. Here's one I did for a weekly contest last September, (2015.) I like to tell stories with my images and to tell this story, I needed a female, too. Just as a comedy duo needs the straight man... The gentleman in this render is FW Sebastian HD. He's wearing Grantham Hall Suit with Bon Vivant textures. His hair is a no-longer-available freebie from Mec4d, the Mullet Hair for Genesis 2 Males. (I'm hoping she refines it and brings it out as a product here.) So without further ado, I bring you...

Baggage

Baggage, by A'Adair

Click on the image above go to the gallery page, where you can see the full-size image.

My attempt at counteracting the overabundance of daz ladies in bikinis, or less. 

M6 in a Sebastian skin and "Real Hairy"

• Oh, that is priceless!!  I don't know if it will squeak by the TOS police, but I like it.  Some of the renders like this that have been removed, I think were going a little overboard, but one never knows what they will do.  I think they also are stricter on some of the male renders than they are on the female renders.

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,282

Love it Butch ;-)

• I love that so much Butch! laughyes

Oh, that is priceless!!  I don't know if it will squeak by the TOS police, but I like it.  Some of the renders like this that have been removed, I think were going a little overboard, but one never knows what they will do.  I think they also are stricter on some of the male renders than they are on the female renders.

Thanks all smiley  I was tossing up if I should post it, but yes, I'm half expecting it to be removed, although he's showing less skin than a lot of female renders. 

• This is Jarek with the Leander hair and the town and country shirt for genesis and the glasses for Aiden.

Jarek Holding Glasses.png
    488 x 791 - 888K
  • This is Jarek with the Leander hair and the town and country shirt for genesis and the glasses for Aiden.

This discussion has been closed.