Michael and Friends Appreciation Association [Lots of images, please.]

Comments

• Thanks for the complpiments @Knittingmommy. Those first ones I did were my first attempts at DAZ rendering, nevermind iray. I basically just fu... played around. Might have used his iray skin, but most likely I just clicked the convert to iray thingy. And the only thing I understood in the surfaces thingy was base colour, the rest was all Geek to me, so that's what I played with.

Nowadays, I know about as much as back then. I just bought more shader and material thingys. At least I know now what top coat and metallic flakes do. Rest of the sliders I still just play around with until it looks nice to me.

And, yes, everything is a 'thingy'. That's about as technical as I get. Which can get a bit ambarrasing, like when I have to call the IT guy at work to tell him to come over because my thingy isn't working.

•  

And, yes, everything is a 'thingy'. That's about as technical as I get. Which can get a bit ambarrasing, like when I have to call the IT guy at work to tell him to come over because my thingy isn't working.

I can only imagine and my imagining is hysterical!!!  laugh  I don't get that technical myself and usually come up with words for things I don't know the name.  My husband just looks at me and asks, "Is that the technical name?" and I say, "Yes." with a very straight face.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2016

Wotchermacallums or whatchamacallits or wotsits or even thingummyjigs

Post edited by Chohole on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

Best thingy ever was in a lecture with a rather beer bellied teacher trying to find his mouse symbol on the screen asking out loudly " now where is my thingy?" I was lying under the table, I was not alone there

• Linwelly said:

Best thingy ever was in a lecture with a rather beer bellied teacher trying to find his mouse symbol on the screen asking out loudly " now where is my thingy?" I was lying under the table, I was not alone there

You do realise that after an account like that we are going to assume you were down there looking for his thingy?

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    Linwelly said:

You do realise that after an account like that we are going to assume you were down there looking for his thingy?

The poor man needed help there, what else could we do, being a helpful person and all... (oh for crying out loud)

• Linwelly said:
    Linwelly said:

The poor man needed help there, what else could we do, being a helpful person and all... (oh for crying out loud)

Ahh, and then the true meaning of Richard's post sinks in....wink

• gerterasmusgerterasmus Posts: 287
    edited January 2016

Still a work in progress...

Oliver - Hot Saturday Morning.jpg
    2500 x 2375 - 2M
    Post edited by gerterasmus on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

A limitation I really hate with the wrist's, and this goes for the Hivewire figures too, is that extreme bends cause funny bulges and weirdness where the wrist and hand are bent.  The composition looks great but that wrist that he's leaning on looks just weird to me. 

• Who said nobody renders men? Plenty of good looking men!

Something different :

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited January 2016

Who said nobody renders men? Plenty of good looking men!

Yes, plenty of good looking male renders. But there is solid evidence to show the men get far less attention from the DAZ and the PAs, between significantly fewer male characters released and an even smaller percentage of male clothing, accessories and hair as compared to those of the females.

There was an entry to the "It's Raining Men" contest that I think says it better than words can, though I doubt Butch had intended it as such. (http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/970736/#Comment_970736) The poor man, wearing only a towel, is staring into a closet with nothing but empty hangers. What there is of apparel is on the floor, a pair of shoes and a bit of fabric. The shoes, at least, are for the ladies. Now how's the man supposed to face the world with nothing but a towel?

Unnamed Image by Butch

Post edited by L'Adair on

Something different :

Different, yes. But still nice. Looks almost like an antique poster for a carnival.
    yes

• ButchButch Posts: 797
    L'Adair said:

There was an entry to the "It's Raining Men" contest that I think says it better than words can, though I doubt Butch had intended it as such. (http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/970736/#Comment_970736) The poor man is, wearing only a towel, is staring into a closet with nothing but empty hangers. What there is of apparel is on the floor, a pair of shoes and a bit of fabric. The shoes, at least, are for the ladies. Now how's the man supposed to face the world with nothing but a towel?

Unnamed Image by Butch

I thought it may have been a little too subtle and no one noticed laugh 

But, I did find some clothes and two of my models are out busking for a wardrobe allowance, as I type.

Apollo

Apollo in Iray, by L'Adair

Click on the image above to see the full-size 2000px by 2000px image via the gallery page.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Butch said:
    L'Adair said:

There was an entry to the "It's Raining Men" contest that I think says it better than words can, though I doubt Butch had intended it as such. (http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/970736/#Comment_970736) The poor man is, wearing only a towel, is staring into a closet with nothing but empty hangers. What there is of apparel is on the floor, a pair of shoes and a bit of fabric. The shoes, at least, are for the ladies. Now how's the man supposed to face the world with nothing but a towel?

Unnamed Image by Butch

I thought it was very funny

• Butch said:
    L'Adair said:

It certainly gave me a chuckle when I saw it.  laugh  Especially since practically the only thing there were high heeled shoes.

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    edited January 2016

Having fun.  Titled, "Hello, My Name is Juan."

Rendered in 3Delight.

Hello, My Name is Juan SM.jpg
    2000 x 2500 - 1M
    Post edited by dracorn on
  • XpiderManXpiderMan Posts: 426

Here's my shot at it! Michael 7, Victoria 6 and Derek.

Michael & Friends

It certainly gave me a chuckle when I saw it.  laugh  Especially since practically the only thing there were high heeled shoes.

I was tempted to use a bandana, rather than the towel (amazing what one can do with a single bandana).  But, I figured I may get into trouble, if I did.

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    L'Adair said:
    There was an entry to the "It's Raining Men" contest that I think says it better than words can, though I doubt Butch had intended it as such. (http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/970736/#Comment_970736) The poor man, wearing only a towel, is staring into a closet with nothing but empty hangers. What there is of apparel is on the floor, a pair of shoes and a bit of fabric. The shoes, at least, are for the ladies. Now how's the man supposed to face the world with nothing but a towel?

Unnamed Image by Butch

Priceless =)

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,142
    edited January 2016

Here's Aiden for M7, maybe he's not the hunkiest of men, but nevertheless....

C-is-for-Concentration.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 517K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
  • L'Adair, I'm answering your question here instead of the It's Raining Men Contest thread since it has to do with this thread. 

First, I hadn't realized that you had put the new link up.  I think that is great because now we will have it easily accessible when it isn't stickied to the top of the forum board. 

Second, I think you should put each of those links on separate lines and make the titles of each link bold to make them all more visible for new comers who stumble onto the thread later.  I like the idea of having those links up on your OP so that was a great idea.  I hope that this post keeps going.  From the looks of the posts it keeps getting, I don't think it will be going away any time soon.  I'm working on a couple of renders so I'll be adding something new soon as well.  I've enjoyed all of the posts so far.

@MelanieL He may not be the beefiest male in the room, but I really like what you did with the render.  My only suggestion (I'm presumtuous because I know you didn't ask for advice wink) is that you might see if you can curve his spine and make him relax a little more.  I think trying to get his spine to follow along the 'C' would have more impact, but I could be wrong.  So, take any suggestions I give with a grain of salt.  You did a great on lighting, color, and his skin tone.  All of those are the really difficult parts and you did an excellent job.  Is that 3Delight or Iray?  If 3Delight then my hat is off to you because I still haven't managed a decent render with that engine, yet, although I'm working on it.  Overall, I really liked the resulting render.

L'Adair, I'm answering your question here instead of the It's Raining Men Contest thread since it has to do with this thread. 

First, I hadn't realized that you had put the new link up.  I think that is great because now we will have it easily accessible when it isn't stickied to the top of the forum board. 

Second, I think you should put each of those links on separate lines and make the titles of each link bold to make them all more visible for new comers who stumble onto the thread later.  I like the idea of having those links up on your OP so that was a great idea.  I hope that this post keeps going.  From the looks of the posts it keeps getting, I don't think it will be going away any time soon.  I'm working on a couple of renders so I'll be adding something new soon as well.  I've enjoyed all of the posts so far.

Thank you for the feedback. I was going back and forth on whether or not to make those links really stand out. Your opinion really helped. I think the links will be hard to miss, now. I hope the male render challenge will become a regular event, and I'll add those links, too, when the time comes.
    heart

MelanieL said:

The world is full of men who aren't "hunky" but attractive nonetheless. Very nice render. Does the "C" have any significance?

Does Aiden come with a clean-shaven face mat? I love Zevo's Growing Up series. I grabbed the bundle some time ago, and was disappointed when I wanted to do a render of a young boy... None of the G2 men I had came with faces that would work. I've since picked up some characters for Brodie, even though I don't have Brody, (yet,) just so I could use them with Growing Up to create young boys. I plan on picking up the Growing Up bundle for G3, once it's released. Hopefully there will be some men/teens released by then to use with the male version.

• L'Adair said:
    MelanieL said:

The world is full of men who aren't "hunky" but attractive nonetheless. Very nice render. Does the "C" have any significance?

Does Aiden come with a clean-shaven face mat? I love Zevo's Growing Up series. I grabbed the bundle some time ago, and was disappointed when I wanted to do a render of a young boy... None of the G2 men I had came with faces that would work. I've since picked up some characters for Brodie, even though I don't have Brody, (yet,) just so I could use them with Growing Up to create young boys. I plan on picking up the Growing Up bundle for G3, once it's released. Hopefully there will be some men/teens released by then to use with the male version.

L'Adair - I think that looks great.  It really stands out and will certainly help any newcomers who didn't know about the contest and other threads.  Can you double check the link for the judges post, though?  When I clicked on it, I got a page not found.

L'Adair - I think that looks great.  It really stands out and will certainly help any newcomers who didn't know about the contest and other threads.  Can you double check the link for the judges post, though?  When I clicked on it, I got a page not found.

Thank you for double-checking those links. I'm not sure what happened to end up with a broken link—whether it happened today, or was already there—but it's fixed now. I even tested it in a different browser that didn't have those pages in the cache. (Which I should have done in the first place. Haste makes waste.)

Thanks again.
    yes

• L'Adair said:

Thank you for double-checking those links. I'm not sure what happened to end up with a broken link—whether it happened today, or was already there—but it's fixed now. I even tested it in a different browser that didn't have those pages in the cache. (Which I should have done in the first place. Haste makes waste.)

Thanks again.
    yes

I like being helpful when I can. smiley

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,142

@MelanieL He may not be the beefiest male in the room, but I really like what you did with the render.  My only suggestion (I'm presumtuous because I know you didn't ask for advice wink) is that you might see if you can curve his spine and make him relax a little more.  I think trying to get his spine to follow along the 'C' would have more impact, but I could be wrong.  So, take any suggestions I give with a grain of salt.  You did a great on lighting, color, and his skin tone.  All of those are the really difficult parts and you did an excellent job.  Is that 3Delight or Iray?  If 3Delight then my hat is off to you because I still haven't managed a decent render with that engine, yet, although I'm working on it.  Overall, I really liked the resulting render.

Thanks, Knittingmommy - I see what you mean about the spine, I may go back and tweak a little more to see how it turns out. The render is Iray, using the HDRI that comes with DS and some spotlights.

L'Adair said:
    MelanieL said:

Actually I was following a Blender tutorial about creating 3D text and I wondered if letters could easily be exported to use in DS - "C" happened to be the first letter I tried (yes, I know it would have been more logical to start with "A"), so not really significant. But now I'm thinking of doing an alphabet series of different characters in different poses, so "C is for Concentration" is my starting point.

Aiden doesn't quite come with a clean-shaven face mat - there are (I think) a light beard and a heavier beard and this stubbly one, plus an almost clean-shaven (just a few little hairs dotted round the chin) which would work for a teenager who's not quite reached the shaving stage, but not for a younger boy. I too wish there were more textures suitable for younger boys, especially Genesis 3, but I suppose it's early days yet.

MelanieL said:
    L'Adair said:
    MelanieL said:

Actually I was following a Blender tutorial about creating 3D text and I wondered if letters could easily be exported to use in DS - "C" happened to be the first letter I tried (yes, I know it would have been more logical to start with "A"), so not really significant. But now I'm thinking of doing an alphabet series of different characters in different poses, so "C is for Concentration" is my starting point.

Aiden doesn't quite come with a clean-shaven face mat - there are (I think) a light beard and a heavier beard and this stubbly one, plus an almost clean-shaven (just a few little hairs dotted round the chin) which would work for a teenager who's not quite reached the shaving stage, but not for a younger boy. I too wish there were more textures suitable for younger boys, especially Genesis 3, but I suppose it's early days yet.

I can work with that. A few hairs on the chin can easily be remedied in Photoshop. But I do hope some of the PAs are watching this thread and decide to give us an alternate, whisker-free face for their male characters. And if they do, they should make a big deal about it. I'm sure you and I are not the only artists that would love to have the option, and knowing about that option would certainly sway my buying decision in their favor.

This discussion has been closed.