DAZ Connect news - Encrypted files will be unlocked after 12 months

Comments

• Ivy said:

Okay my old CMS still instact see capture.  Graphmate and keymatere  installed and running good  reinstalled dymanic clothing plugin , checked all the plugins  no red errors icons showing. and   Store tab is removed and no smart content tabs in the 4.9 software either.. now to do some bench mark testing and run a securty check  and start rendering something big too see how it works out if I get any errors .. this may take a while I'll be back with my results 

Sounds like it would be a simple matter then for Daz to offer it as an optional plugin

The store tab, as far as I recall, has been part of DAZ Studio since 2.X or 3.X, as has some forrm of login to the website, so why are folks insisting that "connect" be ripped out and added in as a plugin? When the entire point of Connect initially was to make it easier for new users to find where their content was, making it a separate plugin sort of defeats that purpose, unless you provide an option to install it as part of the installation routine.

• Khory said:

Lets not go back to the days of plug ins shall we? That was a mess and a pain in so very many ways. Still is for a few left overs. And two versions would simply be to confusing for many users.

An optional plugin makes far more sense than a mandatory store connection in what's supposed to be a art app and not a home shopping app

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,284
    edited February 2016
    Ivy said:

provide an option to install it as part of the installation routine.

Which is what I was suggesting 

Post edited by Robert Freise on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,158

Okay bench mark test so far.   No security holes or issues reported and seems to running great with my Bull dog firewall running as well.. and got no errors during the rendering in 3d light. I did notice my BHV animation conversion is not working in 4.9  so I'll have to look into the issue. The AOA camera presents from Age of Armour not working at all. so I will need to report that bug   Look at my hair plugin needed to be re installed because it would not load with the current installed copy.  but running okay now

Bench mark using processor rendering with a tool from Geekbench3  the 3delight showed had no increase in render speed when I match the same scene up with what I rendered in 4.8 when I compared the to programs side by side  it shows 0 increase.

working on Iray bench mark now with SiSoft Sandra 2011 Lite   brb with those results in a few minutes

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    Khory said:

Lets not go back to the days of plug ins shall we? That was a mess and a pain in so very many ways. Still is for a few left overs. And two versions would simply be to confusing for many users.

An optional plugin makes far more sense than a mandatory store connection in what's supposed to be a art app and not a home shopping app

It might make sense if the majority of users were not going to be using connect. As far as the store connection goes. Don't log in and don't go look at that not easy to find tab and your issues are solved. No need to muddy things with a plug in.

• Khory said:
    Khory said:

It might make sense if the majority of users were not going to be using connect. As far as the store connection goes. Don't log in and don't go look at that not easy to find tab and your issues are solved. No need to muddy things with a plug in.

You assume that the majority of users will use connect which may be the case if there is no option or they are new and don't know any other way or of the Swiss Army knife mentality.

Next we put a buy and make art button in the interface and the app does it allwink

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,314
    Ivy said:

Okay bench mark test so far.   No security holes or issues reported and seems to running great with my Bull dog firewall running as well.. and got no errors during the rendering in 3d light. I did notice my BHV animation conversion is not working in 4.9  so I'll have to look into the issue. The AOA camera presents from Age of Armour not working at all. so I will need to report that bug   Look at my hair plugin needed to be re installed because it would not load with the current installed copy.  but running okay now

Bench mark using processor rendering with a tool from Geekbench3  the 3delight showed had no increase in render speed when I match the same scene up with what I rendered in 4.8 when I compared the to programs side by side  it shows 0 increase.

working on Iray bench mark now with SiSoft Sandra 2011 Lite   brb with those results in a few minutes

I thought the AoA cameras were broken in DS 4.7, unless you have hit a new issue with them

Khory said:
    Khory said:

You assume that the majority of users will use connect which may be the case if there is no option or they are new and don't know any other way or of the Swiss Army knife mentality.

Next we put a buy and make art button in the interface and the app does it allwink

App already does it all. You just have to know what buttons to push to make it happen.

Okay  after bench marking this scene below in daz 4.8  and 4.9 in Iray  I did a comparison side by side using this render with 4 genesis 2 characters and 1 HDRi with default render settings. Please keep in mind these results will differ between different computers settings & ups   so I just going by my set up using this new modified version of daz studio 4.9 I did myself removing a few things

Results for daz 4.8  render time. 3 minutes 28 seconds

CPU draw usgae = 21%

2 Nivida graphic cards with a combine gpu os 8 gigs of rams  = 81% usage

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same scene loaded in to daz 4.9  render time. 2 minutes 54 seconds

CPU draw usage = 16%

2 Nivida graphic cards with a combine gpu os 8 gigs of rams  = 69% usage

End results shows a huge 18% increase in render speed using  GPU rendering with daz 4.9.   1 java script error which I believe was to do with the fact I removed the store content tab out of the software.  no other errors reported  which makes me happy because I was able to remove all the stuff  I mentions previously and I am able to run both software at the same time

When I tested I could run & render both software at the same time using 100%  of my PC resources and only crashng when was 44% rendered because I ran of out system memory or ram which I only have 24 gigs installed.  So I'll be getting some new ram chips this week to bring my computer ram up to 64 gig . and that should allow me to render using one program for animation and build scenes with the other  all on the same computer system with out crashing because the lack of Ram memory .. this is really great results. I really am glad I removed those folder holding those features I didn't want. and was able to install this side by side.

Don't worry Daz I promise not to share this modified version of 4.9. though I may make a tut on how others can modify it themself.

Anyway just playing around with some of my scripts I noticed I have a lot of broken scripts that work in daz 4.8 but do not work in daz 4.9 like animated textures,  duplicate ID, poser  BVH animation scripts. 2 custom render settings scripts I made did work either  I'm not sure if it was because I modified the software or if it was a normal bug in daz 4.9 because of the upgrade version    But no matter i can run both programs at the same time so no big deal. what one program can't do, I will be able to do with the older one.

Okay time to go shopping...... CHARGE.....it !

test .jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 212K
  • Glad to see this decision.... I will wait until the 12 months are up before any encrypted item.    I have so much non-encrypted material alread purchased that waiting will be no problem.  

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,284
    edited February 2016

Khory

Yes it does however my commit was for a single button does everything

But maybe you hadn't heard all the old make art button jokes that have been around for years

Post edited by Robert Freise on
    edited February 2016
    Havos said:
    Ivy said:

I thought the AoA cameras were broken in DS 4.7, unless you have hit a new issue with them

I can only go buy what I experience myself they were working for me in daz 4.8 because I just used the fog cam in one of my recent renders .. but they do not work at all in daz 4.9.

also animated texture script is not working either in 4.9  which I use a lot.   but it could be the way I have the software installed too. so its hard to tell what casuing the issues

But as it is now 4.9 is useable for me. 

Thanks guys for all the help

Post edited by Ivy on
  • Ivy said:

Okay  after bench marking this scene below in daz 4.8  and 4.9 in Iray  I did a comparison side by side using this render with 4 genesis 2 characters and 1 HDRi with default render settings. Please keep in mind these results will differ between different computers settings & ups   so I just going by my set up using this new modified version of daz studio 4.9 I did myself removing a few things

Results for daz 4.8  render time. 3 minutes 28 seconds

CPU draw usgae = 21%

2 Nivida graphic cards with a combine gpu os 8 gigs of rams  = 81% usage

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same scene loaded in to daz 4.9  render time. 2 minutes 54 seconds

CPU draw usage = 16%

2 Nivida graphic cards with a combine gpu os 8 gigs of rams  = 69% usage

End results shows a huge 18% increase in render speed using  GPU rendering with daz 4.9.   1 java script error which I believe was to do with the fact I removed the store content tab out of the software.  no other errors reported  which makes me happy because I was able to remove all the stuff  I mentions previously and I am able to run both software at the same time

When I tested I could run & render both software at the same time using 100%  of my PC resources and only crashng when was 44% rendered because I ran of out system memory or ram which I only have 24 gigs installed.  So I'll be getting some new ram chips this week to bring my computer ram up to 64 gig . and that should allow me to render using one program for animation and build scenes with the other  all on the same computer system with out crashing because the lack of Ram memory .. this is really great results. I really am glad I removed those folder holding those features I didn't want. and was able to install this side by side.

Don't worry Daz I promise not to share this modified version of 4.9. though I may make a tut on how others can modify it themself.

Anyway just playing around with some of my scripts I noticed I have a lot of broken scripts that work in daz 4.8 but do not work in daz 4.9 like animated textures,  duplicate ID, poser  BVH animation scripts. 2 custom render settings scripts I made did work either  I'm not sure if it was because I modified the software or if it was a normal bug in daz 4.9 because of the upgrade version    But no matter i can run both programs at the same time so no big deal. what one program can't do, I will be able to do with the older one.

Okay time to go shopping...... CHARGE.....it !

If you mean my Fix Duplicate IDs script that might fail due to the changes in the content library, it gets lists of files by what is selected a I recall. Though I'd hope by now that most old content with this issue would have been updated by the creator (the script was mainly written for creatorsd rather than for geberal users).

edited February 2016

Yes the Fix Duplicate IDs script did not work.  but when I got that Duplicate ID error when i loaded the leotard clothing t g2f   I just click ok and the items loaded okay anyway so no biggie .. but I really need to find out why this animated texture script is not working  becauase I use it for my water panes in animation

Post edited by Ivy on
  • hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335
    Ivy said:

If you never log in using Daz Connect there are no files in the Daz Connect file system.

Okay I answered my own question I was able to remove the file system with out hurting the software. even though is gave me a PostgreSQL CMS error I was able to point it to my daz4.8 version PostgreSQL CMS  and the error is gone  I am now runnign side by side 4.8 and daz4.9   and able to use 4.9 with out the daz connect files system intact  see capture

I will pick up those models now

Edit 2 Okay after futher editng of the software I was able to remove the services foldrer and the store content Icon fld as well  which removed the store icon tab from the software  Happy days. it was simple and all I was looking for

Way to go Ivy!  Any chance you could write up a tutorial on how to 'remove' Connect from a 4.9 install?  I have a feeling you aren't the only one who wants to do this.....

edited February 2016

when you load 4.9 into your same system drive as 4.8 make sure you create a new folder & name it Dazstudio 4.9 and then move & drop the complete modified 4.9 program in it. so you can run it side by side with daz 4.8  make sure to point 4.9 to the previous installed PostgreSQL CMS to get rid of the PostgreSQL CMS error when you start 4.9    I took a screen shot to show how I have set up in my c/drive

Edit.. I did this is for the 64 byte version of daz and the content manage folder you see is my dimm manager folder

Capture.JPG
    1285 x 1049 - 108K
    Post edited by Ivy on
    hphoenix said:
    Ivy said:

If you never log in using Daz Connect there are no files in the Daz Connect file system.

Okay I answered my own question I was able to remove the file system with out hurting the software. even though is gave me a PostgreSQL CMS error I was able to point it to my daz4.8 version PostgreSQL CMS  and the error is gone  I am now runnign side by side 4.8 and daz4.9   and able to use 4.9 with out the daz connect files system intact  see capture

I will pick up those models now

Edit 2 Okay after futher editng of the software I was able to remove the services foldrer and the store content Icon fld as well  which removed the store icon tab from the software  Happy days. it was simple and all I was looking for

Way to go Ivy!  Any chance you could write up a tutorial on how to 'remove' Connect from a 4.9 install?  I have a feeling you aren't the only one who wants to do this.....

I'm going to have to ask for premmsion first from daz because It is their software and I did this for my own personal reasons .. there maybe a issue with me teaching how to remove the code for these features. though i have not seen anything in the daz tos stating i couldn't

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,899

I use Atmospheric camera (EZ Fog) all the time with 4.9. Most of the flagging doesn't work, though 'foglight' does, so...

Khory

Yes it does however my commit was for a single button does everything

But maybe you hadn't heard all the old make art button jokes that have been around for years

I've been here 10 years.

• tl155180tl155180 Posts: 994

Question: My PC+ membership expired yesterday and I don't have it set to 'recurring'. Do I have to click on the "Cancel subscription" button to make sure that they don't bill me again for another year, or is it ok to just let it expire?

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    tl155180 said:

Question: My PC+ membership expired yesterday and I don't have it set to 'recurring'. Do I have to click on the "Cancel subscription" button to make sure that they don't bill me again for another year, or is it ok to just let it expire?

I think you actually have to cancel it.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

And if you paid through Paypal do remember that you also need to cancel recurring payments there as well.

• tl155180tl155180 Posts: 994
    sriesch said:
    tl155180 said:

I think you actually have to cancel it.

Thanks, will do.

• Khory said:

A  connection that's been optional in Studio for as long as I've been using it. I installed 4.9, and the updated database stuff for Smart Content, and told Connect to essentially take a hike (didn't log in when it gave me the option to, and told the dialog not to ask again) and I'm doing mostly fine with it.

• Khory said:

A  connection that's been optional in Studio for as long as I've been using it. I installed 4.9, and the updated database stuff for Smart Content, and told Connect to essentially take a hike (didn't log in when it gave me the option to, and told the dialog not to ask again) and I'm doing mostly fine with it.

Which makes it another usless but installed feature.

I have more than enough of those already compliments of Microsux which is why anything of importance or that needs to be done efficiently gets done on my Linux machines

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Khory said:

Great reason not to do something; some will find it confusing. Or not.

• As a Poser-only user, I'm glad to know that I'll be able to access this stuff within a relatively short window (I think 12 months is a very reasonable period). Thanks, DAZ.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,510

What software doesn't have features that each of us doesn't use? How many people use the 3D painting and rendering features in Photoshop? I don't use Dynamic Clothing in Studio, LIE, or Shader Mixer/Baker, and yet I've never felt the need to request that a separate version of Studio be made available without them or attempt to remove those features myself. You really run the risk of screwing something up when you try to edit software and the disk space or RAM that you'll save even if you're successful is never worth it.

Could we please stop this whole "I don't use so no one should have it" train of thought please? I know plenty of people who DO use it and DO like it.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited February 2016

DAZ_Steve, I think the biggest part of the issue many long time users have with Connect is the fact that they would have to start DAZ Studio just to install content rather than a smaller program like DIM.

On the other hand, if youn want to install something (a new product, or an item you suddenly realise you need for the current scene, or an item you have uninstalled since using it in the saved sceen you want to open) you have to close DS, wait to make sure the CMS link has been closed, open DIM, wait while it populates its lists (takes a while for me), install, close DIM, wait on the CMS link, start DS. Of course that's more an agument for coexistence of the two than switching wholly to Connect, but it is a benefit of Connect for experienced users - and the more so the bigger your catalogue of items.

I keep DIM open all day and all night and only close it if I have to reset for windows update or T-storms in the area and I shut it all down. I do, however, close studio if I realize I want to install something--though not always and I've never had trouble that I know of. Could I still keep DIM going all the time in 4.9?

As for Connect's folder, any possibility of having multiple locations? As of now if I 'started over' and used Connect only, I'd have well more than a terabyte of data to store in one location. Unfeasible.

Post edited by Spit on