DAZ Connect news - Encrypted files will be unlocked after 12 months

Comments

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310

I'm 2. If it doesn't do much to change my workflow I don't care. Of course that is an "If", so far encryped stuff hasn't effected my workflow, but I havn't used it too much. If, say, I find its harder to save edited bones and weightmaps, then there's a smaller pool of products that I'll be willing to buy

Actually does anyone know about that from some brief testing it does seem to be harder to save modified items, or is the preffed method just to save those as scene subsets?

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306

It will be interesting to see how the RNDA merger affects all of this. I mean RNDA mostly cater for Poser users (albeit, like Rendo they have been offering more DS products as of late). Since one assumes RNDA accounts will be being migrated to over here, one wonders how their mostly Poser user base will take to the idea that future products are unusable in their software of choice.

• thd777thd777 Posts: 932

Absolutely option 2. No question for me. DRM for this stuff and the way it is implemented currently is a non-issue for me.

Ciao

TD

• Havos said:

It will be interesting to see how the RNDA merger affects all of this. I mean RNDA mostly cater for Poser users (albeit, like Rendo they have been offering more DS products as of late). Since one assumes RNDA accounts will be being migrated to over here, one wonders how their mostly Poser user base will take to the idea that future products are unusable in their software of choice.

Poser format content isn't encrypted.

• lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996
    Havos said:

Wait wait what how did I miss this news

Does this mean Aeon Soul's Entwined outfit will finally return to sale >.>

Havos said:

Daz isn't exactly showing favour toward unencrypted content right now though and didn't RDNA also do a no encryption ever speech or am I making that up?

Havos said:

True, but there would be little point having a prop set, like the canoes, with fully functional Poser files (which can also be read by DS), and the DS only files remain encrypted.

• Havos said:
    Havos said:

True, but there would be little point having a prop set, like the canoes, with fully functional Poser files (which can also be read by DS), and the DS only files remain encrypted.

I think what Richard was saying is that RDNA content for Poser most likely will not be encrypted, since as far as I know the only content that's been encrypted has been DS only anyway, which means older DS content that could be used in Poser isn't affected either.

Havos said:
    Havos said:

I think what Richard was saying is that RDNA content for Poser most likely will not be encrypted, since as far as I know the only content that's been encrypted has been DS only anyway, which means older DS content that could be used in Poser isn't affected either.

I accept that, likewise (we hope) older DAZ content will also not become DRM products. I was refering to new content.

Couldn't find anything on RDNA Daz merger with a quick google search... but it did make me think.

About those conspiracy theories about Daz making everything under their control...

Oh gee the main section of these very forums was a sneaky place I didn't think to look. Thank you! -goes to read-

• And I just got a newsletter an hour ago from RDNA with details on how to migrate. Very handy, anything you bought in the past from RDNA will be accessible here like any other DAZ purchase.

• lx said:

Couldn't find anything on RDNA Daz merger with a quick google search... but it did make me think.

About those conspiracy theories about Daz making everything under their control...

Merging Corporates is a normal practice in business, it happens daily around the world.

Daz is not reinventing the wheel.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

And it's normal for people to worry about monopolization when companies merge, too.

lx said:

Merging Corporates is a normal practice in business, it happens daily around the world.

Daz is not reinventing the wheel.

I think it's normal too. I don't really care of Daz gains a monopoly on all the poser-style content or not. But when people suggested it a month ago, they were accused of conspiracy theorying instead of some sort of no comment. And yet it was in progress for months. At the same time as Connect and encryption came in. At what point is it okay to start being curious as to where all this is leading?

Also isn't it more of an acquisition than a merger? I'm not sure of the requirements of the two (or if it really matters either way.)

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,090

That's true, something like this doesn't happen overnight...or even overmonth.

Dana

• LianaLiana Posts: 1,035

Was just looking through the 4.9 FAQ for another purpose and noticed this:

"Products updated to Daz Connect will not function with Carrara or the DSON Importer for Poser due to an inability to interface with Daz Connect web services, but all bridges (e.g. ZBrush, Bryce, Hexagon) and exporters continue to function as they have."

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/941102/#Comment_941102

and

"Bryce maintains the ability to use Daz Studio content through the Bryce bridge."

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/941612/#Comment_941612

Looks like Brycers have always been in the same position with 4.9 as they were with 4.8. That's never been an issue for me since I'm not a user of the bridge (or very CGI active at all at the moment), but some folks have been talking as if Connect wrecked the DAZ-Bryce link.

I have had some issues with 4.9 trying to pull something in on the laptop since I have to use it for now. I have not tried again the last few days. I will take a look at the thread you posted.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,405
    edited February 2016

Please drop this subject, it's off-topic and likely to stray into TOS-breaking territory.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • coldbycoldby Posts: 11
    edited February 2016

(this user left due to difference of opinion in matter of censorship)

Post edited by coldby on
  • Well call me again in 12 month then and we'll see how it worked out.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    DAZ_Steve said:

All,

I don't want to stifle discussion, but as most of the comments in this thread appear to have moved on from Encryption, and become more and more focussed on Connect itself, I want to suggest we unsticky this thread and let it die.  That way folks are welcome to have another thread discussing Connect.  I also think people will be pretty please with some of the steps we're taking with Connect that should be out in less than a month that make it a lot less of a pain for experienced users.  

I appreciate you keeping an eye on things. However... let me point out a few things that apply to encryption...
    a)  For everyone encryption is directly tied to connect since the latter is required to download encrypted content. I use DIM and work Offline only. I don't want to have to use DAZ Studio to purchase any content.
    b)  I hope that a very large majority of content is not encrypted. That will ensure my continued shopping sprees here at DAZ. I can ignore grabbing those few items that are encrypted.
    c)  Waiting any amount of time for content to become unencrypted is not acceptable as I want to use it in Studio, Carrara Pro and other programs and be fully functionable in all of them. Having content being Studio exclusive even for a short amount of time I don't argee with.
    d)  I plan to be hanging out, continuing PC+, for 6 months to see what becomes of encryption.

I'll say no more since I've stated where I stand on encryption in this thread and ones leading up to this one. Please ignore my first post here as it sounded great until I'd slept on it afterwhich I posted further concerns here on page 8 which I'll not bother to repeat.

Thanks for listening.

• As I said in the other threads, this is a great way to solve a whole bunch of problems. At WORST, people delay their purchases and might miss out on sales.

I feel much better, and am very gratified that Daz is willing to embrace compromise.

This is what I'll be doing, in 12 months, other than the weekly freebies, products will likely be included in some sort of discount anyways by that time.
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,156
    edited February 2016

A) 6. [ X ] ... never. And I mean it.

I will choose the 6th box..never,ever buy encrypted products weather they are DRM or not.  encryption = no sale.

On a positive note I got my computer back up and running great. The new cooling module and wire harness was all I needed to replace luckily.  I bought another 300 mm fan as well I wasn't taken a chance that the old one got shorted out too..  so when i was at the store I picked up a new Sound blaster THX 200 watt sound card with Logitech THX 5.1 surround sound speakers systems. I finely finished my ram upgrade from 24 gig to 64 gig of ram,& a new 1200 watt power supply which replaced my old 850 watt one. which should keep my PC LCD from dimming when i spool up my 2 graphic cards.

Add that with my new neutered version of daz.4.9 with no connect plugin or unwanted files..life it good again. :)

Post edited by Ivy on
  • Ivy said:

I will choose the 6th box..never,ever buy encrypted products weather they are DRM or not.  encryption = no sale.

On a positive note I got my computer back up and running great. The new cooling module and wire harness was all I needed to replace luckily.  I bought another 300 mm fan as well I wasn't taken a chance that the old one got shorted out too..  so when i was at the store I picked up a new Sound blaster THX 200 watt sound card with Logitech THX 5.1 surround sound speakers systems. I finely finished my ram upgrade from 24 gig to 64 gig of ram,& a new 1200 watt power supply which replaced my old 850 watt one. which should keep my PC LCD from dimming when i spool up my 2 graphic cards.

Add that with my new neutered version of daz.4.9 with no connect plugin or unwanted files..life it good again. :)

Good news about the system glad to hear some given the dark times at hand

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,156
    Ivy said:

Good news about the system glad to hear some given the dark times at hand

I know I was very nervous when I went to turn my pc back on.  I asked a friend of mine that works at our hospitals computer maintenance & IT department. If he looked it over for me before i plugged it in..lol .

I do have a question about 4.9  does anyone know how i can change the aniblocks  UI color from that awful bright booger green to a reasonable color like blue. even gray,.?

• this sounds good to me.  as I only use DAZ4.8 and DIM I won't be using encripted stuff but will be wishlisting them  I rarely can buy anything new so this is good for me. They tend to be cheapier a year down the road.

Thank you DAZ!

congrats will on the gc

• Noob question here, please bear with me: what can't I do with the encrypted stuff that I could do with the non-encrypted stuff?

Can I:

A) work offline with encrypted content once I've downloaded it?

B) kit-bash encrypted content to combine it with other items within the framework of Studio?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Noob question here, please bear with me: what can't I do with the encrypted stuff that I could do with the non-encrypted stuff?

Can I:

B) kit-bash encrypted content to combine it with other items within the framework of Studio?

Yes and yes

• Noob question here, please bear with me: what can't I do with the encrypted stuff that I could do with the non-encrypted stuff?

Can I:

Yes and yes

Thanks and thanks!