DAZ Connect news - Encrypted files will be unlocked after 12 months

Comments

• lx said:

I was understanding that there's no real reason to not have all of your content installed, though, right? I mean it doesn't slow Studio down?

Well, disc space. Also items are listed installed before uninstalled in the product list in Content Library and can be filtered for install state using the tabs in Smart Content, allowing for a limited (more or less) subset of isntalled items for quick access and other items not installed.

Is disk space really a problem for people these days?  High capacity hard drives and solid state drives are getting BIGGER and CHEAPER every couple weeks.

I keep everything downloaded AND installed.  I mean, why not?  Plus, as long as it's installed on MY drives, then it gets backed up.  I don't have to worry about DAZ going out of business and whoops no downloads available!

• frogimusfrogimus Posts: 200
    DAZ_Jon said:
    frogimus said:

As I tried to post earlier: If you load a scene using an uninstalled product, does Connect automatically install it to load?

It doesn't automatically install it, but it will let you know what you're missing with a "Click Here" to install. There is one bug with it in a case where multiple packages provide the same file and it getting a little confused on what you need and if it is installed which I believe is fixed in the latest beta that will be released soon.

@DAZ_Jon

Not really Connect or encryption related but your avatar makes it seem you are bored alla time. But then, DAZ_Steve reminds me of Kung Fu Panda...

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    frogimus said:
    DAZ_Jon said:
    frogimus said:

As I tried to post earlier: If you load a scene using an uninstalled product, does Connect automatically install it to load?

It doesn't automatically install it, but it will let you know what you're missing with a "Click Here" to install. There is one bug with it in a case where multiple packages provide the same file and it getting a little confused on what you need and if it is installed which I believe is fixed in the latest beta that will be released soon.

@DAZ_Jon

Not really Connect or encryption related but your avatar makes it seem you are bored alla time. But then, DAZ_Steve reminds me of Kung Fu Panda...

It's the Avatar of Dorian Grey -- it sleeps so Jon doesn't have to.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    edited February 2016

DAZ_Steve, I think the biggest part of the issue many long time users have with Connect is the fact that they would have to start DAZ Studio just to install content rather than a smaller program like DIM.

On the other hand, if youn want to install something (a new product, or an item you suddenly realise you need for the current scene, or an item you have uninstalled since using it in the saved sceen you want to open) you have to close DS, wait to make sure the CMS link has been closed, open DIM, wait while it populates its lists (takes a while for me), install, close DIM, wait on the CMS link, start DS. Of course that's more an agument for coexistence of the two than switching wholly to Connect, but it is a benefit of Connect for experienced users - and the more so the bigger your catalogue of items.

I'm actually okay with this.  It provides logical separation between "shopping" and "making".  Two different tasks requiring two WAY DIFFERENT mental processes.

I'm with Subtrobic; I like the seperation. Some have turned shopping into an artform - I suspect. I'm not one of them. It's a means to an end. Actually before this, I enjoyed it as a seperate entity, not so much now.

This makes me wonder if the idea was a bean-counter's idea (don't be insulted by the term) as opposed to an artists; I don't want the harsh mercurial world touching my artistic tools (artistic is being generous to myself, but I hope folks understand).

Post edited by nicstt on
  • lx said:

I was understanding that there's no real reason to not have all of your content installed, though, right? I mean it doesn't slow Studio down?

Well, disc space. Also items are listed installed before uninstalled in the product list in Content Library and can be filtered for install state using the tabs in Smart Content, allowing for a limited (more or less) subset of isntalled items for quick access and other items not installed.

Is disk space really a problem for people these days?  High capacity hard drives and solid state drives are getting BIGGER and CHEAPER every couple weeks.

I keep everything downloaded AND installed.  I mean, why not?  Plus, as long as it's installed on MY drives, then it gets backed up.  I don't have to worry about DAZ going out of business and whoops no downloads available!

I certainly wasn't trying to argue that people shouldn't have everything installed, just that there was a reason some people might choose not to. There's also the tyranny of choice issue - I have a lot of content, including some I have regretted (mostly from taking too long to try it out and missing the return window) so having a limited sub-set of stuff isntalled is easier to work with.

• lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996
    edited February 2016

I should also clarify that the point of my question wasn't intended to be whether you should or shouldn't have your content installed in terms of space, etc. but solely as to whether having more in a library slowed down Daz, which I originally thought might have been the case but was later told doesn't change anything.

Post edited by lx_2807502 on
  • lx said:

I should also clarify that the point of my question wasn't intended to be whether you should or shouldn't have your content installed in terms of space, etc. but solely as to whether having more in a library slowed down Daz, which I originally thought might have been the case but was later told doesn't change anything.

That I don't know.

• tl155180tl155180 Posts: 994

I'm intrigued to see that the new releases are still coming out unencrypted. How is Daz going to collect any decent sales data on how well encrypted products sell if they're not willing to take the plunge and put some on the market? They've had the tech in place for at least a couple of weeks now - what are they afraid of?

• They did release some the same day that 4.9 officially was released. And several freebies that were intended to be sold after the first week.

• lx said:

I certainly wasn't trying to argue that people shouldn't have everything installed, just that there was a reason some people might choose not to. There's also the tyranny of choice issue - I have a lot of content, including some I have regretted (mostly from taking too long to try it out and missing the return window) so having a limited sub-set of stuff isntalled is easier to work with.

I understand the "tyranny of choice" issue; it is indeed a real thing.  But then what's the difference between having it "installed" and having it "one click away from being installed and oh by the way, it's right there ON YOUR SCREEN every time you launch DAZ Studio"?  That's like Windows or FileZilla popping up an update panel every time I use them.  It gets annoying and knocks you RIGHT OUT of the task you wanted to perform when you launched it.  I call this, the "Tyranny of Maddening Application or System Updates Slowing Tasks of Progress", or "ToMASToP" ™.  No affront intended toward anyone named Tom, or Thomas, of course!  laugh

Kidding aside, rebooting is an exercise in aggravation.  Update Windows, update my mouse driver, update my financial software, update a couple of web browsers, update Java, update, update, update!  At least with DIM, I only have to deal with that stuff WHEN I have decided to "enter DIM mode" in my brain.  Usually that's when I'm shopping or downloading content.  

If your aim is to reduce "Tyranny of Choice", then a one-click download and install is actually an argument against DAZ Connect.  With cheap disk space, why not just have everything installed to avoid being nagged with content administrative/maintenance issues every time you want to engage in creative tasks?  Does Connect have a "don't nag me" mode?

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,314
    tl155180 said:

I'm intrigued to see that the new releases are still coming out unencrypted. How is Daz going to collect any decent sales data on how well encrypted products sell if they're not willing to take the plunge and put some on the market? They've had the tech in place for at least a couple of weeks now - what are they afraid of?

There has been some mention of new releases to fix issues with DAZ Connect, and probably further away another enhancement to allow people to sort content as they wish. I would guess once these are properly in place, and bedded down, we may see a few more DAZ connect releases that are not freebies, to further test the market reaction. There will still be plenty of kicking and shouting when it happens, but with stuff in to make connect easier to use, then I assume they are hoping market take up will be better.

• lx said:

I understand the "tyranny of choice" issue; it is indeed a real thing.  But then what's the difference between having it "installed" and having it "one click away from being installed and oh by the way, it's right there ON YOUR SCREEN every time you launch DAZ Studio"?  That's like Windows or FileZilla popping up an update panel every time I use them.  It gets annoying and knocks you RIGHT OUT of the task you wanted to perform when you launched it.  I call this, the "Tyranny of Maddening Application or System Updates Slowing Tasks of Progress", or "ToMASToP" ™.  No affront intended toward anyone named Tom, or Thomas, of course!  laugh

Kidding aside, rebooting is an exercise in aggravation.  Update Windows, update my mouse driver, update my financial software, update a couple of web browsers, update Java, update, update, update!  At least with DIM, I only have to deal with that stuff WHEN I have decided to "enter DIM mode" in my brain.  Usually that's when I'm shopping or downloading content.  

If your aim is to reduce "Tyranny of Choice", then a one-click download and install is actually an argument against DAZ Connect.  With cheap disk space, why not just have everything installed to avoid being nagged with content administrative/maintenance issues every time you want to engage in creative tasks?  Does Connect have a "don't nag me" mode?

If you use the installed filter in Smart Content you won't see anything you don't have installed, though that isn't the default mdoe of course. Metadata updates will download when you connect, other updates I think show only if you right-click or look at the Updates filter in Smart Content (or use a filter in the search box, I imagine, though I don't know the term needed).

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,158
    edited February 2016

I have 2 questions for Daz_Steve or Daz_whoever

Question 1. I know it has been mentioned you are trying to give a op out option for the daz connect file system..  but given the past track record Is daz truly working on a option for users to op out of installing the daz connect portion of the 4.9 software so we can maintain our manual custom file management?  Please do tell me to just not use it and move files out of it.. Because that is a ridiculous solution,

Question 2.  If Daz studio is not going to ever have a option  to op-out of the daz connect file system. then  If I were to load 4.9 on another computer can I strip the daz connect file system out of the 4.9 version myself and then move the modified Studio version with out the daz connect file system to my main computer?.. will this make 4.9 stop working if I strip this DRM connect files system out of the 4.9 program?   I have visual basics software which when I loaded studio into it I could see I could easily remove the connect file system thats why I asked. if it was possible to for me to remove the daz connect files system out of the software myself without killing the rest of the software because I maybe missing where its is used in other protions of the software..

I ask these questions because I have a couple of models totally around $60 bucks I would like for a animation.  but they say the require daz 4.9  to use them so I rather not buy the product if t I am not be able to use it in my daz 4.8 version. which has happen before in the past.    Upgrade to daz 4.9 with a daz connect file management system intact is not a option.. & again please don't tell me I don't need to use the daz connect file management. I am adamant about if I'm not using connect I do not want the file system in my Computer . so I am trying to look for compromising options so I can attain these models   If daz is truly working a op out option for installing the daz studio software with out the daz connect files sytems then I will wishlist the items & buy the products and  install them when the new version is available . if not then I will not bother with them.

Thank you for reading my question

Regards  Ivy

Post edited by Ivy on
  • DS will not move existing content, nor will it stop you manually installing and if desired moving content that has a DIM-install option. All DS-requiring products will say 4.9 - it's a link to the current version, not ana ctual system requireemnt - so the items may well be compatible with older versions of DS in any event; check their release date from the readme page to see if they pre-date 4.9.

• Really other than encrypted products and maybe some Iray skin textures, shouldn't everything still work just fine with 4.8? I seem to recall the only product affecting changes were the encryption and the SSS for Iray? Oh and the metallicity fix but I haven't seen anything released that would run into that glitch...

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    lx said:

I think some of your "you" statements should have been "I" or "me" statements because I can tell you for a flat fact that they are not universal truths and this "you" has for quite sometime regularly installed and uninstalled products I might not need at the time even when I had to do it via DIM. Nor am I the only person I know who does that. Now it is just much more convenient to not have everything installed. I ignore a huge amount of older stuff unless I really need it for example and if I do use it I've got to update it and then I save that updated file as a subset. If I use it again later I can always pull it back down om a few seconds but there is no reason to have it hanging around "just in case". And no..really connect does not slow me down. I don't even know what your talking about with the nagging but I've not had that experience working in studio for over 2 months since I installed connect and I work in studio about 10 hours a day.

edited February 2016

DS will not move existing content, nor will it stop you manually installing and if desired moving content that has a DIM-install option. All DS-requiring products will say 4.9 - it's a link to the current version, not ana ctual system requireemnt - so the items may well be compatible with older versions of DS in any event; check their release date from the readme page to see if they pre-date 4.9.

Thank you for your quick response Richard,   I seen how the software installs and works.I know I can work with it, without using the daz connect file management system. (even though other users have experienced major issues loosing their custom file management.) Ask Novica?    So I guess your not understanding me. I do not want the daz connect file system in my Main computer if I am not using it.  Its bloated my Lap tops drive with a unwanted daz connect file systems that I do not want in my main PC .  I rather remove the file management system from the software myself if I can if I'm not going to use it. I would be doing this for my own personal reasons and nothing against daz.

I have bought models in the past that said they were for newer visions of daz that did not work in the older version I was working in . A good example would be the model Opus Magnum  at the time I was using daz 4.0  but it was made for daz 4.5 and would not load  in 4.0  until I upgraded to 4.5 which I did. ( there was no daz connect files systems added to the daz studio software at the time.) and recently I bought a model stated compatible with poser and daz studio 4.8 and it turn out it had some major bugs in Daz 4.8 when it worked great in daz 3 . So  and instead of the bug being fixed they just refunded my money back. I do not want to go that route again either. I would rather stay current with the software  But not with this version fo studio at the moment.

So upgrading to 4.9 with the unwanted bloated daz connect file system is not a options and not one I wil debate.  If I can remove it and the software will continue to work as intended with out using connect then I will be happy to do it myself.

If daz is going to have a option for us to op out of installing the daz connect file system  then I have no problem waiting for the new version  so I can pick up these 2 models. I'm not trying to start a argument here I just asked a simple question.   So again I will not use 4.9 software as it is now.  I not trying to be negative honestly.  I am just trying to find a options to get rid of the daz connect file system, and still be able to use the 4.9 software.

So either way you put it Richard I do relies I can use the daz studio software with out daz connect. But you seem to be missing the point I do not want daz connect files management system in my computer at all period if I am not using it.. end of debate :)

Thank you for the reply Richard But you did not anwser my question.

my question still stands can I remove the daz connect file system from the daz studio software myself? Or is daz truly going to make a option for us to op out  installing that file management system that is all I wanted to know.

Post edited by Ivy on

If you never log in using Daz Connect there are no files in the Daz Connect file system.

• Ivy, what are you talking about when you say "daz connect file system"?

edited February 2016

If you never log in using Daz Connect there are no files in the Daz Connect file system.

Okay I answered my own question I was able to remove the file system with out hurting the software. even though is gave me a PostgreSQL CMS error I was able to point it to my daz4.8 version PostgreSQL CMS  and the error is gone  I am now runnign side by side 4.8 and daz4.9   and able to use 4.9 with out the daz connect files system intact  see capture

I will pick up those models now

Edit 2 Okay after futher editng of the software I was able to remove the services foldrer and the store content Icon fld as well  which removed the store icon tab from the software  Happy days. it was simple and all I was looking for

1.JPG
    1649 x 705 - 147K
    Post edited by Ivy on

Okay I'll mess with some more today but this is a good option getting rid of these 2 things

Thanks for the help

edited February 2016

Okay more good news I was finely able to get 4.9 to recognize all my content storage drive where it didn't before.  

Post edited by Ivy on

Lastly I was able to remove smart content & its tab from the software as well  and its not showing in the panes tab either .

one question will I need to reinstall graphic mate and keymate?  because they are not showing up in the windows pane of 4.9  so I can add the tabs to my animate section like i have it in 4.8

this capture shows my 2 software running side by side at the same time

Capture.JPG
    1897 x 1199 - 264K

Hw was 4.9 installed, DIM or standalone installer?  Is it the Public Beta or the General Release?

edited February 2016

I installed the full version 4.9 through dimm  which gave me the standalone installer. to my work lap top I loaded it in visual basics I removed all the content I didn't want saved theconent back, then moved it all over to my c drive in a separate folder on top of my 4,8 folder in my big machine.

Post edited by Ivy on

I'm looking for my keymate and graphmate plugins in my back ups to reintall them in 4.9

edited February 2016

Okay my old CMS still intact see capture.  Graphmate and keymatere  installed and running good  reinstalled dynamic clothing plugin , checked all the plugins  no red errors icons showing. and   Store tab is removed and no smart content tabs in the 4.9 software either.. now to do some bench mark testing and run a security check  and start rendering something big too see how it works out if I get any errors .. this may take a while I'll be back with my results 

Capture.JPG
    1090 x 762 - 74K
    Post edited by Ivy on
  • Ivy said:

Okay my old CMS still instact see capture.  Graphmate and keymatere  installed and running good  reinstalled dymanic clothing plugin , checked all the plugins  no red errors icons showing. and   Store tab is removed and no smart content tabs in the 4.9 software either.. now to do some bench mark testing and run a securty check  and start rendering something big too see how it works out if I get any errors .. this may take a while I'll be back with my results 

Sounds like it would be a simple matter then for Daz to offer it as an optional plugin

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854

Lets not go back to the days of plug ins shall we? That was a mess and a pain in so very many ways. Still is for a few left overs. And two versions would simply be to confusing for many users.