DAZ Connect news - Encrypted files will be unlocked after 12 months

1121314151618»

Comments

• lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996

I bought Bryce but I was sad to learn it's basically at a development dead end.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    lx said:

I bought Bryce but I was sad to learn it's basically at a development dead end.

Yeh, but I'd sooner shell out money on it that just click a DRM item.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

I bought Bryce heavily discounted with an eye toward generating cool backdrops but mainly so I could convert Bryce content to DS.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,305

I got Bryce for free, so I can hardily complain whatever happens to it. I confess I have never used it.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Havos said:

I got Bryce for free, so I can hardily complain whatever happens to it. I confess I have never used it.

Shame on you.   Install it, fire it up, press buttons,  It's fun.

• TesseractSpaceTesseractSpace Posts: 1,153

Bryce was my first experience with 3d software beyond some fumbling with POVray. I only got into Poser so I could export figures to Bryce. Been a long time since then but I do remember how fun it could be throwing landscapes together.

Bryce was my first experience with 3d software beyond some fumbling with POVray. I only got into Poser so I could export figures to Bryce. Been a long time since then but I do remember how fun it could be throwing landscapes together.

Ditto. When I updated to Bryce 3  I got a deal which included Poser 3 and a version of Ray Dream Studio.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,361

I've only used Bryce a handful of time. I like doing the terrains in there.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

I think I'd be more motivated to dive into Bryce if the really cool stuff (like shaders) translated to DS.

Alas... no.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited March 2016
    lx said:
    Nath said:
    3Ddreamer said:
    Petercat said:
    lx said:

I'm disappointed that there's still no icon for encrypted products in the store index.

Me too. I have a 3X5 card taped to my monitor with the two encrypted items in my wishlist on it: Chantelle and trenchcoat. More to come, I am sure.

I finally found a use for the Comments field in the Wishlist - to put in 'Encrypted' and the date it should be unencypted - nothing today interests me so they aren't getting added. Just the Trenchcoat so far.

I've also started noting down dates in the Comments field - not just for encryption, but also so that I can see from the wishlist when a product is no longer new (so I can use my Platinum coupons wisely LOL)

I wish the wishlist had a sort by items on sale option. Or even more useful, maybe they could rig up some sort of futuristic technology to send us an email when a wishlist item goes on sale. 

Had to laugh at "futuristic technology to send us an email"... I've been getting emails from another store for years. :)  This only makes *sales* sense and promotes selling more product while also helping maintain customer satisfaction.

Sorting: not just adding "items on sale" but also "Recently Added" to wishlist would be very nice. The sort options listed already need opposites. The list goes on and is in another thread elsewhere... I forget which one.

Encrypted Icon: Agree... I sent a support ticket about adding one with a link to my suggested pics in the Encryption Symbol needs for the new type of item thread... also noticed someone else's alternative to mine, yours?? in another thread.

On the other hand it might be a business/sales decision *not* to have an Encrypted Icon/Symbol since it might result in lost sales.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
    edited March 2016

Yeah, I'm with 5. I'll pick up encrypted freebies and I MIGHT look long and hard at a product that's incredibly useful. At this point, though, I'm pretty committed to never buying something while it's encrypted.

this is regarding what Colby said. [edited]

I will/would purchase DRM-protected DAZ products...

5. [   ] ... reluctantly, only if the product is extremely appealing and isn't available in any other form

6. [   ] ... never. And I mean it.

I'm sticking with "6.[ ]" for now. I'd rather that DAZ know that I don't even wish "freebies" as this ?might? show support for Encrypted content. Until someone tells me that the "freebies" aren't considered as support for Encryped content I will just pass them by or add an ossional one to my wishlist should it ever be unencrypted. I do realize that it will likely cost money in the future but will gladly pay for content that isn't crippled. As long as I can download with DIM as opposed to Connect.

lx said:
    Kharma said:

I have to say I was disappointed to see that everything released today was encrypted..I'm not really for or against it, I just haven't tried it out yet to see and I assumed that there would still be both types of content released daily.

It still amazes me that there's content released daily at all. I recall a time when that wasn't the case outside of Renderosity which had far lower standards in those days. Let them keep throwing money away trying to sell this DRM, as long as the DRM hurts sales the vendors will think twice about it and so will DAZ.

I have to agree; a number of new items are released on almost every day (except some of the weekends which have special sales to compensate.) Daz puts out a pretty massive amount of new content, all things considered. I don't want any of the encrypted content either, but so what if they have a day dedicated to it? Those that want it can buy it, and you have six other days to spend all your money on.

Honestly I am pretty grateful when there is stuff on sale I don't want because its much easier to just say no...  and I think its actually a good idea to offer a couple days of encrypted only content to see what happens.  How else are they really going to know how many people will or will not buy it?  If their sales are half today what they were the last 5 days its a good indication of how people are voting with their wallet.

I'd suggest that DAZ give a bit better test... Release Encrypted content for one full week of each month for at least 2 months for comparison. Of course if the first month would be enough for DAZ they could choose to not continue with additional testing or to continue longer. In order to test properly the Encrypted content should not be reduced in price for that week of Encrypted Only anymore than those in the following 3 weeks of non-encrypted sales.

Why do I feel like a hostage when instead it's only encrypted content I grabbed during the sale upon the initial release of DS 4.9? Oh yeah... I don't use Connect and do use DIM... so there at DAZ those freebies remain until the jailer releases them not encrypted.

edited March 2016
    lx said:

I bought Bryce! Mostly because I remembered it from many many years ago, but sad to see it's not being updated or really supported. It's even less desirable to get into now that Daz are going all encrypt Studio only land (same feelings about Cararra and I looked at Hexagon a few times but seeing zero support update things for it and a lot of bug complaints I skipped that purchase.) I guess they just don't care much about the software they sell? Sure that's speculation but it's assembled from what we see.

Recently bought Bryce myself to use mostly as an additional tool for Carrara which is supposed to import it's landscapes. Regarding bug complaints... those exist for everything even DAZ Studio. Carrara 8.5 Pro, even earlier versions, has/have a lot of benefits, fast rendering, ease of use among a few. Heard recently that G3 support is not far off for it. Heard also that Bryce and I think even Hexagon are due for updates fairly soon... don't know when, no expected dates are ever given.

edited March 2016
    Khory said:
    tl155180 said:
    frank0314 said:

After 10 yrs of studying sales. The higher the price is the more you sell and make. You have to sell 3 times as much of a lower price item. You have 1 high price sale and you have to sell 3 of the lower priced item to make the same money.

Yes, but an item of the same or similar quality that is 1/3 the price of another should, in theory, sell 3 times as well anyway. I mean, surely thats why Daz has all these constant sales all the time to reduce the prices? If it wasn't the case that discounting to lower prices increased sales and therefore revenue then they wouldn't do it. Your theory suggests that Daz is constantly making huge mistakes with all these sales and I'm sure thats not the case. If it were true that "the higher the price is the more you sell" then the best marketing strategy would be to keep constantly increasing prices and never have sales in order to maximise revenue.

Btw I take it you're being specific to Daz sales here. Because obviously the principle of "the higher the price is the more you sell" wouldn't work in most markets unless the product is considered to be a prestige item, like Aston Martins or Levi Jeans, for example - they cultivate a brand image in order to sell their products at a higher price but it wouldn't work for everyone.

I could see a link between the highest priced items here at Daz also being the best quality items (like Stonemason's) and therefore they sell very well. But that'd be more to do with the quality than the fact that they have a high price.

Keep in mind what tends to drive prices up here.. More volume of items in the product for example. Slosh's product has something like 43 items in it and I don't think that even includes the room. That is 43 more chances that someone will see that one thing they need/want/have been looking for to sell the product. I know I have bought an environment in the past for some dumb little thing that may not be a focal point in the product. That is vs about 12 items and the space in the living room. I get appreciably more and more of it general clutter with Slosh's set. Things like that influents sales just as much as the base price. There are quite a few factors that make things "apples and oranges" even if they are both fruit or in this case environments.

Exactly... might I add that not only volume but also variation and extras add to a product's likeliness to sell. A few examples are below.

a) Clothing and outfit: also contains shoes and or accessories... will normally be purchased before others with only clothing. I can make the clothing myself and most accessories easily so why buy just clothing. I've bought an outfit simply for the shoes alone or a particular clothing piece I've been looking for and have been too lazy or busy to make.
    b) Sets, rooms and props: also contains poses for the set... I seldom by structures since I'd rather make my own but do occasionally.
    c) Poses: ones that have a wide range of  usefulness like i13 and a few others who also do partial poses for interchangeability. I have bought a pose pkg simply because it had 1 pose which I didn't have and had been working on without luck to create.
    d) Characters: same reasons as a) but also number of generations covered I'll usually pick above others. Recently bought 1 that also contained a few poses... "cool"... poses I didn't have.
    e) Hair: again # of generations or a style.
    f) Texture add-ons: Wide variety of styles and colors.
    g) Lights: Iray as well as 3Delight versions, props.
    h) Shaders: Iray as well as 3Delight versions. Intricate textures as well as wide variety.
    *The last 3 I'm either good to very good at myself so tend to pass most by except for a few that are extremely marked down or on sale.

In the end it's the PA who goes that extra mile or perhaps a few steps to make their product more appealing by offer more either in quantity or quality. Products like your Scintillant Portrait Lights for Iray you have as well as many other PAs do of course.

Then the final deciding factor-- is it Encrypted Only... that would be a No Sale for me.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited March 2016

@Kerya

Another point is that I haven't yet looked at the shop page - that had become one of the first things I did - where time allowed, which for a quick 30 second-look was often. I haven't yet looked at the products released today. That is bad for Daz, if there are a number and not just me with that changed habbit.

Quite simply, the impulse has been removed from the shopping process.

Daz doesn't make money from what we need, but from what we want. Because in my case, and I suspect there are many others, who don't need any of it.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Starting page FastGrab ... *grin*

Chohole said:
    Havos said:

Shame on you.   Install it, fire it up, press buttons,  It's fun.

Shame on me too... bought it for myself and Carrara... and to make Chohole happy... too busy pressing buttons elsewhere to install it yet :)
    So tell me how can I add a nice graphic to my sig similar to yours. Mine would say "Carrara Pro Addict - occasional Bryce user". :)

edited March 2016

Well to start with you need to attach the image somewhere so you can copy an image link.   THere is a very useful thread here, designed for just that. (thank you again McGyver)   http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/59113/an-ot-thread-for-images/p1

Once you have the banner images attached there, click on the thumbnail to bring up the full image and right click to "Copy Image Location".

Then you go to your Profile by clicking on your name.  Click on the gear icon,  the one on a blue-ish square and click "Edit Profile"   From that list go to "signature Settings"     Use the add image tool from the tools 

than add the image 

I have hyperlinked my banner image to the Bryce forum (obviously)

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited March 2016

Why thank you kind person holding club over my head.

Tell me O' Wise One... is there a any kind of "User's Guide for Editor to Add Comments" thread. No need to start another. I was thinking of starting something like that because I have at the moment one+ question(s) myself for how to do a few entirely different things. Most things I've figured out simply by experimentation.

You're welcome