Michael and Friends Appreciation Association [Lots of images, please.]

Comments

• ButchButch Posts: 798
    Pendraia said:

I really love the feel of this render it reminds me of the light and colour seen in Renaissance artists paintings.

Thanks Pendraia.

As you've probably noticed, I tend to go for minimalism (I can never work out what to add to the scene). 

This one's M7 with the usual Butch body shape and big nose.

Single mesh light from behind, with lots of adjustments to a number of film settings.

• Kev914Kev914 Posts: 1,108
    edited February 2016

This is nice, Butch. I didn't know you could that much light on the front with only a single light from behind. How do you do that?

Also wondered about Octane.

Do you need special equipment to use it. What did you mean by aircon?

Post edited by Kev914 on
  • Very nice, Butch! Sometimes minimalism is the way to go. Whatever settings you used, it looks great.

• This is my latest male render "Morning Prayer", using an elf character I created quite a while ago. It's G2M with the "Colin" textures but the shape I've built up myself. I used V3Digitimes' Smart Iray Converter on the skin. Rendered in Iray with IBL (environment) light only, which has a single "donut" light.

Took about 10 minutes to render.

Beautiful!

Thank you very much, Virginie! The options in your Convertor are so comprehensive that I can always get exactly the effect I want regardless of the skin type. I use it on all of my G2 characters.

I was also going to ask, Hiro Protagonist, how do you do this...

Rendered in Iray with IBL (environment) light only, which has a single "donut" light.

I'm not sure if I have tihe iray convertors that you have. I know I bought some, but it's hard to remember whether I bought them for Genesis 2 or 3. (I buy too much stuff. But the deals have been great ever since the holidays.)

KevinH said:

This is nice, Butch. I didn't know you could that much light on the front with only a single light from behind. How do you do that?

Also wondered about Octane.

Do you need special equipment to use it. What did you mean by aircon?

Thanks, Kevin. 
    This is where someone else may need to explain properly - I'm a bit useless with the explanations :)  You need to adjust the exposure, etc - think about taking a photo of a person who's standing in front of the sun, without using a flash.  You need to make sure your light meter measures the front of person, not the background.  In this pic, I've selected the chest region for my light measurement, thus leaving the left shoulder washed out and overexposed. 

As for Octane, I really like it.  However, it does cost a small fortune, which is why I'm sticking with it, rather than using iray (I bought the Octane plugin before iray was released).  In regards to the differences between the two?  To someone of my limited skills and knowledge, very little difference apart from the user interface.  However, as Octane has been around longer, there has been more development and user created shaders.  Both need Nvidia cards.  Seeing as iray's so "new and exciting" with daz, a lot more people are playing around with it and posting their findings here, in the forums. 

I hope that all makes sense smiley 

As for "aircon" -  airconditioning that I hadn't switched on, lol... it was a stinking hot day and my graphics cards were about to have minor heart attacks.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,929

I've been really grooving on Painter's Lights and was inspired by recent mention of an older turban freebie.

So, this.

Ren man.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 236K
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

@3DDreamer, which ever you used on the final render the hair looks really good.

@Butch. I like the minimalist look, nice use of light. I've seen a few Octane renders and they always seem to look good...no way I could afford it at the moment though.

Nice work Will, is that one of Rosemaryr's turban's? It looks great with that outfit!

Yes, Pendraia. And yeah, I'm really happy how the outfit came together. Took a bunch of experiments, and ended up getting that Iray fabric combiner thingie (had my eye on it for a while, and... it really helps speed up assembling good fabric shaders).

I REALLY like playing with flowing outfits and fabric. Being able to drape stuff dynamically helps a lot. I used the Medieval Robe, though it took a bit of work since it's a great outfit that doesn't autofit very well.

Thanks Will I'll have to check the Iray product out and yes Dyncreator is a fantastic tool. I love Rosemaryr's items but so many of them were dynamic I will have to check out her gallery at ShareCG again...

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited February 2016
    KevinH said:

I was also going to ask, Hiro Protagonist, how do you do this...

Rendered in Iray with IBL (environment) light only, which has a single "donut" light.

I'm not sure if I have tihe iray convertors that you have. I know I bought some, but it's hard to remember whether I bought them for Genesis 2 or 3. (I buy too much stuff. But the deals have been great ever since the holidays.)

I probably didn't explain it very well, but I didn't use any lights in the scene. It's only lit by the environment sphere. The IBL image used on the sphere is a grey room with a large donut shaped light on one side. It's a freebie and you can get it on this page. Search for "Donut Primary Light". Set dome rotation to 180 if your figure or subject is in the default position and rotation.

If you are looking in Smart Content Products the converter is under the Materials/Iray/Feminine (turn off Filter By Context) and is called "Iray Smart Converter and Advanced Skin Managers for Genesis 2". Of course, it works on masculine figures as well. In Product Library it's under People/Genesis 2/Materials/Iray Converter and Managers. There are a whole lot of subfolders there for the options.

Post edited by Hiro Protagonist on
  • OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123
    Ostadan said:

Just trying out a recent purchase or two.  Ragnar in Tuscany

Love the composition here! Have you tried adding a stronger DOF?

I thought about it, but I liked Tuscany so much that I was unwilling to blur it (and expected a big hit in the render time as well).    But since someone asked…

ragnar-tuscany.png
    900 x 900 - 1M
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,550

Yes, Pendraia. And yeah, I'm really happy how the outfit came together. Took a bunch of experiments, and ended up getting that Iray fabric combiner thingie (had my eye on it for a while, and... it really helps speed up assembling good fabric shaders).

I REALLY like playing with flowing outfits and fabric. Being able to drape stuff dynamically helps a lot. I used the Medieval Robe, though it took a bit of work since it's a great outfit that doesn't autofit very well.

What "fabric combiner thingie" did you use?

edited February 2016

http://www.daz3d.com/fabric-basics-mix-and-match-for-iray

I debated a lot -- a bunch of the fabric Iray shader packages look good, but this one seemed a little more up my alley. (Though, money permitting, might get some of the others eventually)

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,550

http://www.daz3d.com/fabric-basics-mix-and-match-for-iray

I debated a lot -- a bunch of the fabric Iray shader packages look good, but this one seemed a little more up my alley. (Though, money permitting, might get some of the others eventually)

Thanks. I don't have that one, but I've heard good things about it in Novica's Art Studio. I have PD Iray Shader Kit 1, which looks similar. I really like it.

• I'm glad that Rosemaryr's free turban thread was revived (and thanks to timmins.william for reviving one of the props here and reminding me). The mesh work Rosemaryr did on these is superb. I downloaded them a long time ago, but the trouble with them is that the meshes have quite large triangles which create rather nasty render artifacts. These look even worse in Luxrender and Iray. To improve this I loaded them into Blender, ran "tris to quads" to eliminate most of the tris and them subdivided the result (took 3 levels to make them look good). I also added some textures and maps.

The character is based on Outdoor Survival Dave, with lots of face morphs, and the Dash skin textures. Beard is Laticis's amazing free beard for G2M.

Fine images Hiro Protagonist!

• I these in the gallery.  I really like the bottom one.  He looks like he is staring right into your eyes.  Then saw Will's post and had to track down that turban!  Just downloaded it.  It looks great  I'll have to see if I can figure out how to do that in Blender if I have problems.  Thanks for the tip!

For what it's worth, I was happy with the turban with just SubD 1.

I've been ping-ponging between Iray and 3DL. 3DL has Velvet, which is nice, but Iray's ability to do Normals and Bumps can do somewhat similar things. (Iray's displacement isn't as nice, IMO, as 3DL's, though)

And the fun thing is? A lot of these fancy Iray set ups can translate decently to 3DL.

One big breakthrough... some folks had beaten the realism drum of 'glossy color should always be white!' And, well. No. Light responds in weird ways, and whether or not it's 'realistic,' it can LOOK GOOD to have surfaces with glossy color.

Anyhoo.

Nice work with the turbans Hiro Protagonist...iirc she did them in Marvelous Designer...sometimes their triangles can be a bit bothersome I believe it can now do quads but haven't tried it. Zbrush or subD both help.

• (Iray's displacement isn't as nice, IMO, as 3DL's, though)

I don't think anything does disp better. Displacement is a pain in Iray, Lux, etc. and I avoid it whenever possible. That's why I'm one of those people who a little cross at  being told I can use displacement maps for details on skins because we aren't allowed the HD morph loader.

One big breakthrough... some folks had beaten the realism drum of 'glossy color should always be white!' And, well. No. Light responds in weird ways, and whether or not it's 'realistic,' it can LOOK GOOD to have surfaces with glossy color.

Rules are there to be broken as far as I'm concerned. I used a very slight tint on the diffuse channel on the skins above because if I have one criticism of the Dash textures it's that they have a very slight grey look when rendered. You don't have much latitude though before it starts to look very wrong indeed (may even have slightly over done it here).

Thanks for nice comments everyone!

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited February 2016

Some rendering over drinks ;)

JesseCowboy01.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 857K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • Some rendering over drinks ;)

What a hunk!

• The Embrace

• Some rendering over drinks ;)

He is handsome.  That is an interesting effect you have on the image.  What rendering engine? filter or effect is that? It is nicely done.

The Embrace

Lovely image.  Nice, soft emotive feel to the whole piece.

• edited February 2016

A little play from yesterday's work. Figure is Dusk. No re-purposed female items on this one. :) My skin, morphs, and posing. Hair is the Midnight Prince hair from here (it;s an M4 item).

Post edited by Seliah (Childe of Fyre) on
  • The Embrace

Mal3Imagery - I really like this render! I just love the softer lighting on it... very nice piece. :)

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,296
    edited February 2016

Hey I was just in checking one of my webmail account and got the surprise of my life when I say a MAN advertising DAZ3D. About time! :-)

Though they may be a bit confused if they think that is Vicky ;-)

ad.png
    131 x 579 - 145K
    Post edited by 3Ddreamer on
  • Ostadan said:
    Ostadan said:

Just trying out a recent purchase or two.  Ragnar in Tuscany

Love the composition here! Have you tried adding a stronger DOF?

I thought about it, but I liked Tuscany so much that I was unwilling to blur it (and expected a big hit in the render time as well).    But since someone asked…

Thank you for posting! The environment is beautiful, but it looks to me that the DoF frames the character better.

This discussion has been closed.