The [Disco Chives] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,365
    edited April 19

I've heard a few theories about why McDonald's ice cream machines are always broken.  Curious conundrum!surprise  But it doesn't affect me anymore because, these days, the only thing I ever, ever, ever get at McDonald's is breakfast (Egg McMuffin, hashbrown,  orange juice, and coffee).  After decades of personal research, I've concluded that it's the only palatable food in the place.  And I still have questions about the hashbrown.indecision

Note: and the only McDonalds within my typical busing range, has closed.  Whoever heard of a McDonalds closing?surprise (Well, I guess perhaps the Russians, but that's another story.)indecision

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,951

Just found out I am getting an EBT card soon.

Sfariah D said:

Wheee..., I think.indecision 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,453

LeatherGryphon said:

Sfariah D said:

Early Birthday Treat?

Richard Haseltine said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Sfariah D said:

Early Birthday Treat?

No a late birthday treat.

• beregarberegar Posts: 269

I'm going to invoke the misplaced parrot again to think "aloud" something I've been wondering for a while. Folks here often ask for more modern and realistic clothing and models and I'm left wondering why. I mean if I want to see real people I'll just go outside and... I dunno... look or take a photo? I get the demand for realistic period clothing and hairstyles and what not because you are very unlikely to see any of that stuff when you step outside but for contemporary t-shirt and jeans or a suit or a dress? How many of those do you actually need?

For me the beauty of 3D is that you can bring alive stuff that normally exists only in the realm of imagination like a dragon or a lionman or something more exotic like the Cthuloid. I assume most people don't see them in real life...because if you do, let me know where!

It's also perfect for creating exotic and unearthy beauties in impractical outfits and situations, or musclebound brutes that make your average steroid abuser weep in envy - the latter possibly also in impractical outfits. Where's the fun in rendering real stuff when you can do all that?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,762

Sfariah D said:

That should help you out some.

frank0314 said:

Sfariah D said:

That should help you out some.l

That is my hope. 

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,668

beregar said:

I'm going to invoke the misplaced parrot again to think "aloud" something I've been wondering for a while. Folks here often ask for more modern and realistic clothing and models and I'm left wondering why. I mean if I want to see real people I'll just go outside and... I dunno... look or take a photo? I get the demand for realistic period clothing and hairstyles and what not because you are very unlikely to see any of that stuff when you step outside but for contemporary t-shirt and jeans or a suit or a dress? How many of those do you actually need?

For me the beauty of 3D is that you can bring alive stuff that normally exists only in the realm of imagination like a dragon or a lionman or something more exotic like the Cthuloid. I assume most people don't see them in real life...because if you do, let me know where!

It's also perfect for creating exotic and unearthy beauties in impractical outfits and situations, or musclebound brutes that make your average steroid abuser weep in envy - the latter possibly also in impractical outfits. Where's the fun in rendering real stuff when you can do all that?

For me, the main need to have realistic clothing is I have a desire to eventually render DAZ females so realistic that people don't know they're DAZ people. So their hair, outfits, and surroundings would have to be realistic too. Beyond that, I don't have much interest in what they might call realistic outfits. The outfits I wear aren't very realistic. Of course that still leaves one wondering, why not just look at real people. I like to render some fairly deviant and sometimes horrific scenes with people in situations that real people shouldn't be in. I guess I kind of live vicariously through the images. It's better left to the DAZ people. I'm going to have to stop here because one of our totally unrealistic cats just jumped into my lap.

Richard Haseltine said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Sfariah D said:

Early Birthday Treat?

I think it's a card provided by the United States government that can be used to purchase certain food items. One of the big caveats is you can't buy anything hot. I've seen at least one convenience store out here that sells cooked food and then freezes some of it so it can be purchased through EBT. I don't know if you can buy a McFlurry though. 

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,762

NylonGirl said:

Richard Haseltine said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Sfariah D said:

Early Birthday Treat?

I think it's a card provided by the United States government that can be used to purchase certain food items. One of the big caveats is you can't buy anything hot. I've seen at least one convenience store out here that sells cooked food and then freezes some of it so it can be purchased through EBT. I don't know if you can buy a McFlurry though. 

You can purchase all the food within a store. The hot food depends on how the store lists it, but around here it's accepted for even that.

NylonGirl said:

beregar said:

For me, the main need to have realistic clothing is I have a desire to eventually render DAZ females so realistic that people don't know they're DAZ people. So their hair, outfits, and surroundings would have to be realistic too. Beyond that, I don't have much interest in what they might call realistic outfits. The outfits I wear aren't very realistic. Of course that still leaves one wondering, why not just look at real people. I like to render some fairly deviant and sometimes horrific scenes with people in situations that real people shouldn't be in. I guess I kind of live vicariously through the images. It's better left to the DAZ people. I'm going to have to stop here because one of our totally unrealistic cats just jumped into my lap.

I guess there are also professional reasons for rendering people as real as possible in contemporary settings like book covers or instructional videos or even games. Might be cheaper too than using a photo and you would get more control over it than with a stock photo.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,646

beregar said:

You're assuming that everybody wants to do the same things with 3D that you do. You can create fantastical images with pencil on paper, or paint on canvas, yet both media are predominated with portraits of real people, representations of actual landscapes, and so on. Hell, even if one wanted to create a fantastical creature in 3D, that doesn't necessarily mean that they want to represent them in a fantastical world. How will you show an ordinary person fighting a dragon if the ordinary person only has fantastical clothing to wear? Even things that are not photorealistic are frequently based heavily on reality, like a slice-of-life anime that is stylized and cartoonish but still shows the characters wearing ordinary clothes.

edited April 20

Non-complaint:  Symphony on Sunday.yes

Complaint: Doctor appointment (GP) on Mondayno (I know she's gonna set me up to have to go get blood tests again.frown)

Non-complaint: This is long overdue.  and obvious to anyone who watches animals.  So, when will physics finally get around to accepting that consciousness is fundamental?

LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint: Doctor appointment (GP) on Mondayno (I know she's gonna set me up to have to go get blood tests again.frown)

Non-complaint: This is long overdue.  and obvious to anyone who watches animals.  So, when will physics finally get around to accepting that consciousness is fundamental?

I didn't know there were people who thought animals and bugs were not conscious. I thought the big question was whether broccoli was conscious. 

Oh EBT is food stamps.  It helps me get food, so I will have enough to eat.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,914

NylonGirl said:

I thought the big question was whether broccoli was conscious. 

That's why I don't feel comfortable eating broccoli 

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,378
    For me, the big question is 'Is broccoli edible?'. Most of the time the answer is a self evident 'No'. Particularly after it's been sitting in a plastic wrapper in the bottom of the fridge for 3 weeks and is a curious mix of yellow and black.

There is this organization wanting my blood.  I'm finally going to give it to them.  (it's the Red Cross.)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,825
    edited April 20

...mumble grumble.  Been away for a bit, finally got caught up, and first time I try and make a reply waddaya' know, a Bad Gateway error.   Seems par for the course. I guess.

Sfariah D said:

...congratulations.  I hope you get more than I do, Mine usually runs out about this time of the month 

Oh yes, and a very belated happy Birthday.

beregar said:

...some of us to illustration work for stories and such.  Not everyone on street walks about in lingerie or extremely revealing clothes (except maybe in certain "less reputable" parts of town).  Even my cyber world works tend to have people reasonably dressed for the situation (particularly those who go slinking about in the shadows of the sprawl and want to stay unnoticed).  Not into much of the "cyber wear" I've seen here as it would make a character a prefect target with all the "glowy" neon stuff on it, and heavens, never go into a into a fire fight with your belly exposed.

If you are not some legendary knight with a powerful mystic sword, I'd avoid dragons as much as possible (unless you happen to have access to a multiple rocket launcher or surface to air missile launcher at your disposal).. 

LeatherGryphon said:

...enjoy  (still envious here). 

Post edited by kyoto kid on

I couldn't donate blood today as my iron was a touch too low.

edited April 20

PerttiA said:

NylonGirl said:

I thought the big question was whether broccoli was conscious. 

That's why I don't feel comfortable eating broccoli 

Those in tune with the faint mental vibrations of broccoli will explain that broccoli want to be eaten. 

Sfariah D said:

Turn the dial all the way up to "Steam".

LeatherGryphon said:

Sfariah D said:

Turn the dial all the way up to "Steam".

I lost my iron long time ago during a move.

I am not letting myself eat more cake at this moment.

Sfariah D said:

I am currently waiting for the results of that blood test they gve me, and hoping they don't tell me I can't eat cake. Or tell me anything else scary. Anyway, they said the results are not ready because they're still processing so I guess it's okay to eat Oreo cheesecake.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,551

NylonGirl said:

Sfariah D said:

I am currently waiting for the results of that blood test they gve me, and hoping they don't tell me I can't eat cake. Or tell me anything else scary. Anyway, they said the results are not ready because they're still processing so I guess it's okay to eat Oreo cheesecake.

That is up to you; but it generally is better to err on the side of caution. 

Gordig said:

beregar said:

You're assuming that everybody wants to do the same things with 3D that you do. You can create fantastical images with pencil on paper, or paint on canvas, yet both media are predominated with portraits of real people, representations of actual landscapes, and so on. Hell, even if one wanted to create a fantastical creature in 3D, that doesn't necessarily mean that they want to represent them in a fantastical world. How will you show an ordinary person fighting a dragon if the ordinary person only has fantastical clothing to wear? Even things that are not photorealistic are frequently based heavily on reality, like a slice-of-life anime that is stylized and cartoonish but still shows the characters wearing ordinary clothes.

I'm not assuming anything because it's clearly not happening. I specifically said I'm wondering why people do that, not that there's no reason for people doing so, and then continued to elaborate as to why I'm wondering. You bring out some good points (as did others) such as representing fantasy in a contemporary setting or wanting to render something so photorealistic as to someone not being able to tell it's a render.

Still I wonder especially in the context of male clothing. If you have a one pair of jeans, a t-shirt, a tank top, and a long sleeved shirt, and a hoodie you pretty much have that category covered and those are pretty much first things you see popping up when a new figure is released along with underwear. If you have a one suit you have all suits, just change the color and you are good. Like if you google men's formal wear or casual wear or streetwear, you pretty much get dozens of pics of similar clothing.

I do see more use for varied professional clothing like construction workers, military suits, police, firefighters, nurses and so on but at least for G8 you got all those and once I've a one set I don't need more of full sets. I don't really need dozens of suits or tank tops or t-shirts and similar stuff. I'd rather have one piece of clothing that comes with detail and fitting morphs than dozens quickly made tubes and add-ons that give them different feel (i.e. hats).

I guess women have more options available as far as clothing goes but for everyday clothing? It looks to me like most women wear similar clothes that men do with the additional benefit of having access to dresses that you usually don't see on men.

For Scifi and Fantasy you can get more playful about how much you want (or don't) to show skin and you can have all those funny bits that would be either impractical or weird out people such as dozens of belts, headpieces that would give you a sore neck in real life, spikes that you would end up stabbing yourself with but that still look cool and patterns and shapes that would make people think you have gone guckoo but that still look damn cool - because apparently modern clothing is only concerned with either looking plain and boring or totally outrageous in the most stupid way. Like if it was totally acceptable in a modern world I'd wear robes! They are super comfy.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,646

beregar said:

Still I wonder especially in the context of male clothing. If you have a one pair of jeans, a t-shirt, a tank top, and a long sleeved shirt, and a hoodie you pretty much have that category covered and those are pretty much first things you see popping up when a new figure is released along with underwear. If you have a one suit you have all suits, just change the color and you are good. Like if you google men's formal wear or casual wear or streetwear, you pretty much get dozens of pics of similar clothing.

Do you really think that's the entire range of men's clothing? I don't wear jeans, T-shirts, tank tops or hoodies, nor do I wear suits regularly, and yet I always leave the house fully clothed. There are also variations on each of those things (different cuts of jeans, different neck lines for t-shirts, etc.), and a lot more variety in suits than you seem to think.

I guess women have more options available as far as clothing goes but for everyday clothing? It looks to me like most women wear similar clothes that men do with the additional benefit of having access to dresses that you usually don't see on men.

I can't imagine what kind of life you've led that you think women's clothing is the same as men's clothing. My wife's closet and mine look radically different, and she's not much of a dress-wearer.

For Scifi and Fantasy you can get more playful about how much you want (or don't) to show skin and you can have all those funny bits that would be either impractical or weird out people such as dozens of belts, headpieces that would give you a sore neck in real life, spikes that you would end up stabbing yourself with but that still look cool and patterns and shapes that would make people think you have gone guckoo but that still look damn cool - because apparently modern clothing is only concerned with either looking plain and boring or totally outrageous in the most stupid way. Like if it was totally acceptable in a modern world I'd wear robes! They are super comfy.

You're taking a fairly narrow view of what sci-fi and fantasy mean. Most of the sci-fi and fantasy outfits in the Daz store are of little use to me because they look absurd. I struggle to find outfits that look both fantastical/science fiction-y, and like something a person would actually wear.

Gordig said:

beregar said:

Do you really think that's the entire range of men's clothing? I don't wear jeans, T-shirts, tank tops or hoodies, nor do I wear suits regularly, and yet I always leave the house fully clothed. There are also variations on each of those things (different cuts of jeans, different neck lines for t-shirts, etc.), and a lot more variety in suits than you seem to think.

I can't imagine what kind of life you've led that you think women's clothing is the same as men's clothing. My wife's closet and mine look radically different, and she's not much of a dress-wearer.

You're taking a fairly narrow view of what sci-fi and fantasy mean. Most of the sci-fi and fantasy outfits in the Daz store are of little use to me because they look absurd. I struggle to find outfits that look both fantastical/science fiction-y, and like something a person would actually wear.

It kind of seems like you're both saying the same thing about the sci-fi clothing. One of you is saying the DAZ sci-fi clothing is absurd and the other is saying what's absurd about it.

I do think if one has usable DAZ jeans figure then they don't need anymore. Because jeans seem universal and seem to span many generations. And I got my fashion sense from women who, at a very young age, were taught to get jeans smaller than the girls themselves were. So they had to squeeze themselves into the jeans and probably created some kind of long term consequences. Fortunately, by the time I came along there were stretchy spandex/nylon pants that were comfortable and easily stretched but looked like jeans from a distance. And if someone got close enough to realize they weren't actual denim jeans then they would notice how the stretchy material takes on the shape of the pelvic area in ways real jeans never would; and kind of forget how you're wearing fake jeans. And it contributes to you having a real-life wardrobe that isn't realistic. I mean the pockets, belt loops, and zippers are all fake, painted on and nonfunctional. It's like you have a real life DAZ outfit.

This discussion has been closed.