The [Disco Chives] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread

NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,501
edited November 2023 in The Commons

This discussion was created from comments split from: The I Miss the Old Days Complaint Thread.

Post edited by NylonGirl on

Comments

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,501

So, because the shorts I was wearing had no pockets, I had my phone strapped to my thigh. While I don't know how ridiculous that looks, it usually works. But in the intense heat, apparently there was enough perspiration soaking the strap to convince the phone I was using the touchscreen. And for the second time, my thigh activated the emergency phone call thing. Fortunately it didn't completely dial the police. Just two of the three numbers. And that thing never would have worked if I needed it.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,704

I love my computer and I hate my computer.  It isn't the best machine in the universe, but I am glad I have it.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

I see internet lockdowns lurking behind the corner...and sometimes I see dead people..

• Sfariah D said:

I love my computer and I hate my computer.  It isn't the best machine in the universe, but I am glad I have it.

Me too. 

Is the thread where I can complain about how hot it is?

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,479

miladyderyni_173d399f47 said:

Sfariah D said:

Me too. 

Winter is coming, the hotter the computer, the less heating one needs for ones house cheeky 

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,567
    edited August 2023

PerttiA said:

Sfariah D said:

Me too. 

Winter is coming, the hotter the computer, the less heating one needs for ones house cheeky 

that is why I only render in the winter time to save on the electric bill laugh

At Christmas we huddle around the PC during a render and sing carols, LOL

Post edited by FSMCDesigns on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,336

Tropical storm Hilary is slamming into Southern California right now. Lots of rain, potential flash flooding,  and storm level winds.

• Does Carole like being sung to? Our cat sings to us several times a day at the moment. Shortly after each song, we step in a small heap of entrails somewhere unusual in the house. Sometimes I get a bit fed up with having to clear up after the cat, especially when we've got the children trained to do the cleaning instead. Regards, Richard.
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,577

...ah, new thread smell.

Better than wildfire smoke.  Eyes were stinging last night so I took the fans out of the window and closed it. Woke up this morning to an orange sky (lovely) Even with the windows shut, my eyes art still stinging.  Went down to check the mail and I could smell the smoke when I was in the lobby . Currently the sun is orange and the haze thickening.  Fortunately it's not the 95° they predicted (one benefits of the hazy skies I guess).

On Friday evening two large fires broke out just southwest of Spokane WA area closing Interstate 90 for about 20 miles.  Those fires and several large ones in Canada are responsible for the smoke here in the Northwest that reaches all the way to the coast. Air quality in my area of town is "Unhealthy" (172)  and likely to only get worse (glad I have those spare N-95s)   It's even the unhealthy range for more sensitive people (like myself) along the coast due to north/northeast winds.

So we ended up not dodging either of the feared summer threats this year, guess it was making up for last summer which wasn't all too bad.. 

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,234

Britannica: Cicada (family Cicadidae) is any of a group of sound-producing insects (order Homoptera) that have two pairs of membranous wings, prominent compound eyes, and three simple eyes (ocelli). Cicadas are medium to large, ranging from 2 to 5 cm (0.8 to 2 inches). I love to hate them. It's not the look; it's the sound. I hear it without them making that racket.

Britannica: Cricket (family Gryllidae), any of approximately 2,400 species of leaping insects (order Orthoptera) distributed worldwide and known for the musical chirping of the male. Crickets vary from 3 to 50 mm (0.12 to 2 inches). They have thin antennae, hind legs modified for jumping, three-jointed tarsal (foot) segments, and two slender abdominal sensory appendages (called cerci). The two forewings are stiff and leathery, and the two long, membranous hind wings are used in flying. I love these creatures. They drown out the Cicadas. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,825

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,395

AgitatedRiot said:

Britannica: Cicada (family Cicadidae) is any of a group of sound-producing insects (order Homoptera) that have two pairs of membranous wings, prominent compound eyes, and three simple eyes (ocelli). Cicadas are medium to large, ranging from 2 to 5 cm (0.8 to 2 inches). I love to hate them. It's not the look; it's the sound. I hear it without them making that racket.

Britannica: Cricket (family Gryllidae), any of approximately 2,400 species of leaping insects (order Orthoptera) distributed worldwide and known for the musical chirping of the male. Crickets vary from 3 to 50 mm (0.12 to 2 inches). They have thin antennae, hind legs modified for jumping, three-jointed tarsal (foot) segments, and two slender abdominal sensory appendages (called cerci). The two forewings are stiff and leathery, and the two long, membranous hind wings are used in flying. I love these creatures. They drown out the Cicadas. 

About 20 some odd years ago we lived in a place that was ground 0 for them that year. We could walk outside the door and the ground was moving. You could watch them coming out of the ground and they blanked anything and everything around. My kids and wife were freaked out as I was cleaning them off the vehicle like I cleared snow off of it. We've been lucky enough to be living on the outskirts now so haven't seen them since.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

In summer here in NZ they (I am not sure whether they are Cicadas or Crickets) are noisy but I hardly notice it and can happily sleep through the noise. What I can't abide is the sound of just one of them - it drives me nuts and I can't sleep if I hear that solo chirp.

I hear all year long with tinnitus; you hear some weird stuff. I'm just glad it's too hot for them to sing today here where I'm at. I'll still listen to Crickets for sleep tonight on Youtube.

Oh talking about dogs and snow, a PSA: if you see a dog leave a spot of yellow snow, don't eat it.

Sfariah D said:

Oh talking about dogs and snow, a PSA: if you see a dog leave a spot of yellow snow, don't eat it.

• Okay, here goes.

No fires here, just heat & humidity. The AC hasn't done much until about an hour ago.

Official temperatures, today. This afternoon: 100F/37.8C, heat index 120F/48.9C

Now, at night: 84F/28.8C, heat index 104F/40C

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,024

well. here it was 16C and smoky yesterday low was of 6C - today 21C... next week anywgere fro 16C to 25C, with some smoke. There was snow in the higher elevations in the mountains yesterday//

Okay, here goes.

No fires here, just heat & humidity. The AC hasn't done much until about an hour ago.

Official temperatures, today. This afternoon: 100F/37.8C, heat index 120F/48.9C

Now, at night: 84F/28.8C, heat index 104F/40C

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,577
    edited August 2023

...it looked like a lightly overcast day here though the "clouds" were light orange in  colour instead of white or light grey.  Smoke haze at ground level has become more noticeable since I made a run to the grocery a few hours ago. 

Actual complaint: UPS. 

I have a package that was delayed and is now stuck (supposedly) in Spokane WA (yeah where I mentioned there are several wildfires burning that closed the single major highway connection with Seattle and Portland)  It gets pretty wacky so bear with me. 

When the package reached the second UPS facility in Pennsylvania was when I received notice it had been delayed.  That was on the 16th (Wednesday)  When I received information on their tracking details page it said it finally left that that location on Thursday the 18th (almost 2 days later)  There was no explanation given at all like bad weather or some other "calamity", just two days of my package going nowhere. (I've never experienced this sort of foul up on a package form this particular vendor and it isn't their fault as it occurred after UPS picked it up..

OK now so where it gets weird.  The departure time form the Illinois facility is shown as 6:17 PM local Central Time with the arrival at 5:47 PM local Pacific Time on the same day (August 18th)? So yes, it did cross two time zones and given the 2 hour differential, that means it would have shipped at 4:17 Pacific time getting to Spokane in only 30 min.  Well both the Concorde and even the SR-71 Blackbird (the latter the fastest plan in the world) have been retired and all are in air museums abut the only way it could have made it in a half hour is if it was sent via hypersonic courier drone My thought is they crewed up on the date and it arrived in Spokane on the 19th (Saturday) though I got that notice on Saturday morning,  about 7 hours before they said it arrived.  Yeah pretty sloppy tracking  

Trying to get any additional information on the situation through their site or via phone is absolutely impossible.  You may remember my rants against Xfinity's reception bot.  Well, the one at UPS makes Xfinity's look like a "wet behind the ears" rookie. With Xfinity if you are persistent at pressing "0" it will finally relent.  Try that with the one at UPS, forget it as it will simply hang up on you.  Also the Net site is designed to run you around in circles as well until you get so frustrated you leave. I don't know why they can't more helpful particularly when situations I've been experiencing occur, crikey even the post office is more helpful.  I mean it's not like they are handling sensitive top secret shipments or anything like that..  

Most likely it will arrive when I'm gone at the coast and given the issue with package thefts in my building I don't expect to find it when I return.  There is the option to reroute it to a UPS store nearby where it can be kept until I get back but it means paying an extra fee to cover their inept bumbling.  They should let me make that shipping change for free.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I have been trying to teach my parrot Salty to talk but hew seems to only be interested in learning to sing. He stumbles through parts of 3 songs.so far:  "Row, Row, Row Your Boat", "Mary Had a Little Lamb", and "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star". He might do better but it is me teaching him and I'm am not the clearest in enunciating so I have to accept that.. He did learn "Yo, ho, ho, & a bottle of rum" of the talking phrases I have been trying to teach him, but only because it is more sing-song phrase than the other phrases.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,479

hacsart said:

well. here it was 16C and smoky yesterday low was of 6C - today 21C... next week anywgere fro 16C to 25C, with some smoke. There was snow in the higher elevations in the mountains yesterday//

Going steadily down... We still reached 20C today, but nights are going down to 10C and the rain is coming back...

Yay, I got food, Booooo I spent a dollar a minute.

I found a way to watch the recent turtle movie that just came out this month!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,825

Ported my phone number to a prepaid plan

Cat tried to eat my SIM card

I am too old for this shit

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Ported my phone number to a prepaid plan

Cat tried to eat my SIM card

I am too old for this shit

If kitty ate it, it would be in shit (in the litter box hopefully). 

My cat is a hoarder; I found, in the drop ceiling in the basement, all my flash drives. Jewelry, my wife, has been missing. Plus, some stuffed animals he plays with.

• columbinecolumbine Posts: 293

FSMCDesigns said:

PerttiA said:

Sfariah D said:

Me too. 

that is why I only render in the winter time to save on the electric bill laugh

At Christmas we huddle around the PC during a render and sing carols, LOL

No lies detected!

Lemme tell y'all a true story: I have a comparatively new computer (for me, that means less than three years old) that I use for renders. It was bought specifically for renders (I was tired of trying to render on a potato), and I don't do anything on it except renders and composition of my comics. It's very powerful ... and makes a lot of heat. In the winter, of course, it's been kind of lovely; we have radiators in our house and the office doesn't have a radiator, so it's the coldest room, and my feet are right next to the render machine while I work, so that's nice :P

But in the summer ... we also don't have central air conditioning and it's been very hot in Greater Boston this year. We have three window A/C units, one for each bedroom and one for the office. Now, I don't mind working in sweaty conditions so much, but the render machine does. Once the ambient temp in the room crosses much over 75 (F), I know that a long series of hard renders will get the CPU temp in the machine above 75 (C). I don't mind running at 75C but when it pushes toward 80C and stays there, I get worried. So now we have the phenomenon where I work in the office all day long in 75-80F temps and don't mind, but when my day's work is done and I switch to doing renders all night, the A/C gets turned on in the office for the renderer's benefit.

That's right, folks, I treat my computer better than I treat myself.

(To be fair, though, it's also partially for me: As I say, the computer's really good at venting heat, which means if it's doing heavy rendering, in a 75F office, it's probably closer to 85F on my feet and legs.)

I just realized that the usb c port on my laptop can be used to charge it.

Hi! ʕ•́ᴥ•̀ʔ

• GeorgehazeGeorgehaze Posts: 152

Well, I'd like to complain about the parrott that was sold to me not half an hour ago.... the Norwegian Blue (such beautiful plumage).....