Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 13

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited February 2021

Daventaki said:

Pandora HD for G8.1F    Swept Bangs Hair for G8F     All Seasons Outfit for G8F   LI Incadenscent Portrait Lights

Hmmm, the new hair for today REALLY looks like a copy of this one with only minor tweaks. (2021 03 Hair by OOT) 

Post edited by Novica on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158
    Just run Mirror Geometry and market as new?

I'm headed back to get some sleep, only had about 2 hours. We had tornadoes yesterday in the wee hours of the morning, so I only got 3 hours of sleep as I stayed up. Then went to bed 11pm but back up at 1am to ensure the stray cats were okay (Pensacola 10 degrees real feel.) I spent all day drying out their beds (due to the storms) and putting the heating pads in their "tents" (quilts thrown over patio tables, with heaps of blankets inside and heating pads.)  So really tired but had to take care of a few things. Have a great morning, try to stay warm, and sorry for all of you without power. I worry about not on the people, but the tropical pets such as birds. I'd have mine in the car with the engine running (not in the garage of course) because tropical birds can die in freezing/below zero. Praying for the stray cats and dogs.

If you live in the affected areas, consider building some outdoor shelter for the wildlife/strays. We had a possum curl up on the back porch to get warm in one of the cat shelters. He was very appreciative and we just left him alone, happy to provide some relief. (No, he was NOT sick. Trust me, fat and healthy and active.) Just throwing a blanket over a patio table with blankets inside would be a blessing, with the wind blocked except for an opening (not facing north.) 

barbult said:

So it's not just me LOL 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,750

Yeah I wondered how Daventaki had used it before it was released at first, then my brain woke up and I finally saw the name/number.

memcneil70 said:

Yeah I wondered how Daventaki had used it before it was released at first, then my brain woke up and I finally saw the name/number.

....Because @daventaki is special? heart   

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

It was -7ºC here on the 11th February and 9ºC today 16th February. There was 12 inches of snow on the garden on Sunday 14th of February and all gone by Monday night 15th February. :) Typical Scottish weather :)

• Novica said:

barbult said:

So it's not just me LOL 

I'd say there were differences, look at the hair resting on the shoulders in both and the way the bangs meet the long hair:

https://gcdn.daz3d.com/p/80476/i/202103hairforgenesis8and81females00maindaz3d.jpg

https://gcdn.daz3d.com/p/77142/i/sweptbangshairforgenesis3and8females03daz3d.jpg

Richard Haseltine said:

Novica said:

barbult said:

So it's not just me LOL 

I'd say there were differences, look at the hair resting on the shoulders in both and the way the bangs meet the long hair:

https://gcdn.daz3d.com/p/80476/i/202103hairforgenesis8and81females00maindaz3d.jpg

https://gcdn.daz3d.com/p/77142/i/sweptbangshairforgenesis3and8females03daz3d.jpg

The promos are not identical, but dial the longer morph on one and the shorter morph on the other and they would look even closer. To me, one is essentially the mirror of the other, and since I own Mirror Geometry, I would never buy both. Other people may have a use for both or may prefer one over the other and buy only that one. I have so many hair products already, I look for something more unique these days.

edited February 2021

Coming up- going to show you a combination of Castles in the Mist, Ancient Dungeon Kit, and Instant Grass. Edit- testing some Photoshop plugins and got diverted for a few days, so will probably post on the new thread whenever I get that one started up. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621
    edited February 2021

Novica said:

memcneil70 said:

Aww thank you! heart But no that was a good catch because it is sitting in my cart right now with Torment cause I cant make up my mind LOL.  I actually didn't even realize the closeness until you pointed it out.  I may still pick it up and give it a test run to see what the differences are and if not enough to warrant the purchase might return it.  Will leave a review here after im done. 

Hope everyone and thier critters are staying safe and warm in all this crazy weather.  We got another dump of snow last night here in Texas.  So far we have been fortunate and not lost power but some of my friends and family has.  Also our water was out most of the day because of a main water line break and the kitchen faucet is not producing much water now.  I hope its just frozen and not busted cause that is really going to suck.

Post edited by Daventaki on
  • Daventaki said:

Novica said:

memcneil70 said:

Aww thank you! heart But no that was a good catch because it is sitting in my cart right now with Torment cause I cant make up my mind LOL.  I actually didn't even realize the closeness until you pointed it out.  I may still pick it up and give it a test run to see what the differences are and if not enough to warrant the purchase might return it.  Will leave a review here after im done. 

Hope everyone and thier critters are staying safe and warm in all this crazy weather.  We got another dump of snow last night here in Texas.  So far we have been fortunate and not lost power but some of my friends and family has.  Also our water was out most of the day because of a main water line break and the kitchen faucet is not producing much water now.  I hope its just frozen and not busted cause that is really going to suck.

I had 64 hours of power outage since Sunday.It's back up as of 1700(5:00pm) here in Harlingen

Here's how my critters spent the time 

KeepingWarm2.jpg
    4608 x 3456 - 5M
    Emerald.jpg
    3072 x 4096 - 3M
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858

all snug and cozy :)

Yep looks like they are tolerating the down time well.  Lol Did yall get snow all the way down there?!  I live up in north central Texas by Wichita Falls.

• I didn't get any her at the house but I heard there was some in the area

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948

Conroe, TX here.  Still have snow.  Finally have power.  Lived in a tent set up in the middle of my living room for a couple of days.  Overall, it worked.  One of my dogs does not like to be couped up and she was a test on one's patience.

Despite preparations, I still have at lease one break in my pipes and had to turn the water off at the well.  Roads are still iced.  Currently, the area is void of materials to repair cpvc. As of yesterday, the box stores were saying 3-7 days before they will receive more stock.

edited February 2021

Thats good to hear gitika1 that you were able to stay warm in a tent.  Good idea too!  Our roads are looking better, main roads are clear but side roads are still covered.  We just went to the store and they are out of everything.  Were still having water issues all over town and they slowed the water down last night because the towers ran out of water after they got the main line fixed.  My kitchen cold water still not flowing just producing a trickle, it is on an outside wall so ive still got my fingers crossed that its frozen and not busted, its hard to get under my house.....

edited February 2021

2021-03 Hair by OOT vs Swept Bangs Hair by OOT

The hairs are very simular so I decided to do a side by side comparsion. This first image is both hairs loaded on G8 with no dials touched. They are quite simular in style, the Swept Bangs hair is more full, longer and the ends flip outward. The 2021-03 Hair bangs turn down then sweep to the side, The rest hair is more sleek and closer to a long bob. Both hairs have multiple adjustment and style dials as is common in OOT's hair. The new 2021-03 Hair has some additional dials for collar adjustment.

So for comparison purposes I used the shorten dials to make Swept Bangs shorter.  I used all dials as is I did not undo limits for any of them.

I do like the new 2021-03 hair and at this point I plan to keep it except for one glaring problem.  If you look at the bottom of the hair there is an odd transparency/opacity issue. I do not know if this is part of the issue that affects DS 4.15 but I did try the trick of changing the opacity to 0.99.  I also tried using other shaders just to see if that made any difference and it did not. I also tried adding clothing to see if that helped and that did not either.  I hate to return a product on an issue that is affecting DS if thats the case but if I can't use said product at all that is a problem.

Update: After further testing im pretty sure its shadow.  Differnet lights affect how much it shows.  In really bright lighting its not bad at all.

Defaultoutthebox.jpg
    1262 x 869 - 569K
    shortwithbangs.jpg
    1469 x 935 - 481K

Is the hair clipping into her body? 

barbult said:

Nope that was my first thought. But after further testing im pretty sure its shadow.  Some lights are ok some not. Haven't decided if its going to be enough to make me return it or not.

Daventaki said:

barbult said:

Nope that was my first thought. But after further testing im pretty sure its shadow.  Some lights are ok some not. Haven't decided if its going to be enough to make me return it or not.

You'll never use it if it looks that bad. 

barbult said:

Daventaki said:

barbult said:

Thats what im afraid of and it looks like that in quite a few lights I use.  Not good.

Daventaki said:

barbult said:

Daventaki said:

barbult said:

Thats what im afraid of and it looks like that in quite a few lights I use.  Not good.

You could return it and put the money toward Mirror Geometry, if you don't already have that. Mirror Geometry can pretty much double your investment in any asymmetrical hair and clothing product. It doesn't work on dForce strand hair, but the OOT hair is not strand hair anyway. Just mirror the hair you already own.

Im going to give it a couple of more days I posted the issue in the Commons.  If noone has a fix then ill return.  I have Mirror Geometry, matter of fact I had planned to use it on the Swept Hair in the previous image and got lazy so I didn't do it.  I have never used it, so I would have had to read the guide and everything lol. blush

Daventaki said:

I would have had to read the guide and everything lol. blush

Oh, you poor thing...laugh It is pretty easy to use, but not obvious. You do need to read the guide. There is some one-time setup and some limitations on what it can convert. I've had pretty good luck, except with things that were previously converted from other generations.

edited February 2021

Here is an example of a hair mirrored with Mirror Geometry for G8F. This is Karla Hair.

And another, Jumbo Side Braid

G8F Karla and Karla Mirrored.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 360K
    G8FJumbo Side Braid Mirrored.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 367K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858

the first one is very cool :)

You folks in Texas- is there anything we can do? Can mail get through? I'd be happy to shop for you this weekend (you'd have to pay for it, wish I could afford it but I just bought a table this past week, more on that later.)  I can ship it in a large priority mail box and get it to you in a few days. Not the cheapest solution, but it depends on what you're out of as to how critical it is. Chewy.com is superb for animal needs, if you're running low on dog or cat food. Let us know how we can help. Feel so bad for you! I'd rather be in hurricanes than the mess you're in.

Freezing cold and pipes bursting is much worse than what anyone in my neighborhood ever goes through, and we've had three Category 3's, a couple 2's and several Cat 1's. I've never had any damage to my home except some scoured ventilation pipes on top my house. The fences and gate and tree limbs were an annoyance, but not anything like what you're going through with that water damage. OMG I felt so bad for you.  I lived in Humble Texas for four years when my husband was the Executive Officer of Airstation Houston (During Allison! He was in charge because the CO was over in Italy.) 

I'm going to be offline today and most of tonight, so if we do happen to get to 100 pages, remember to leave the last post for me so I can put a link to the new one. Going on thread 14!  :) 

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

Novica said:

You folks in Texas- is there anything we can do? Can mail get through? I'd be happy to shop for you this weekend (you'd have to pay for it, wish I could afford it but I just bought a table this past week, more on that later.)  I can ship it in a large priority mail box and get it to you in a few days. Not the cheapest solution, but it depends on what you're out of as to how critical it is. Chewy.com is superb for animal needs, if you're running low on dog or cat food. Let us know how we can help. Feel so bad for you! I'd rather be in hurricanes than the mess you're in.

Freezing cold and pipes bursting is much worse than what anyone in my neighborhood ever goes through, and we've had three Category 3's, a couple 2's and several Cat 1's. I've never had any damage to my home except some scoured ventilation pipes on top my house. The fences and gate and tree limbs were an annoyance, but not anything like what you're going through with that water damage. OMG I felt so bad for you.  I lived in Humble Texas for four years when my husband was the Executive Officer of Airstation Houston (During Allison! He was in charge because the CO was over in Italy.) 

I'm going to be offline today and most of tonight, so if we do happen to get to 100 pages, remember to leave the last post for me so I can put a link to the new one. Going on thread 14!  :) 

Drop me a Message here if you are going to do this, I shoudl be able to send some money to help out via paypal.

Thank you for the offer! Very sweet of both of you!! But they should start getting stocked back up.  Main roads as of today and yesterday are clear and businesses are working on getting thier lots clear for deliveries. Our local Wal-Mart's freezers/coolers are down but our other grocery store is up and running.  We had just went grocery shopping before it hit so were still pretty well ok, just basics like milk.  They did send out messages that Fedex and the others will start delivering in the towns.  

This discussion has been closed.