Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 13

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

@zombbietaggerung  I've been rendering it for the past 45 minutes for you- hang on, it's at 87%. I added a spotlight as the lighting just wasn't quite what I wanted. It'll be about 20 more minutes  :) 

And thank you @daventaki

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,650
    edited February 2021

Novica said:

@zombbietaggerung  I've been rendering it for the past 45 minutes for you- hang on, it's at 87%. I added a spotlight as the lighting just wasn't quite what I wanted. It'll be about 20 more minutes  :) 

And thank you @daventaki

Thank you so much! I genuinely appreciate it smiley

Post edited by zombietaggerung on
    edited February 2021

Futuristic Rustic Office          RY Elysa (V8)         JW dForce Clothes Pack (G8F)         Adeline Hair and Circlets (G8F)        Autumn Bloom Outfit (G8F) 

I really like the clothes pack, you can combine the shirts and skirts to get a variety. The vendor organized the materials by clothing piece number, making it easy to find them. Very well thought out! 
    The skirt dForced okay out of the box for the standing, but was horrible in the sitting pose (at default settings.)  To be fair, I did NOT tweak the settings at all, I don't do dForce so it may do beautifully if you know how to tweak dForce.

I used Dumor's Iray HDRI: Apocalyptic Plant Indoors Set 2 lights, with an added spotlight. (for the office scene) Otherwise, still the HDRI Pro-Lights

The closeup of the x ray screens is only 60% rendered, but it gives a good idea of the great detail.

You can click and enlarge these.

RY Elysa.png
    875 x 1000 - 1M
    RY Elysa 2.png
    470 x 1000 - 527K
    RY Elysa 3 Futuristic Rustic Office 60%.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    RY Elysa 3 Futuristic Rustic Office.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Ah that's quite good! It looks great, thank you so much @Novica!

@zombietaggerung   You're welcome.

edited February 2021

@zombietagerung and other folks- this is disappointing. 

I'm not going to explore this much, I'm in a time crunch, but those glasses are funky. It is a group called FRO Office Supply 01 in Scene. In surfaces, I'm not seeing any image maps, Glass Clear Distorted is white for the default color and glossy is gray. The frames are Acrylic Opague Black and the same settings at a glance. Note the glasses also go through the desk. I've had that problem with Tesla and kitchen counters. 

I haven't looked at anything else, I just happened to notice this in my render with Elysa.

RY Elysa 3 Futuristic Rustic Office glasses.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • @Novica, I did notice upon purchase that not all of the surfaces were technically Iray, but since I only paid $0.15 since I used my coupon, I don't mind editing the surfaces to my own liking. Especially the screens too, they're not iray emissive, so I'll be tweaking them to suit me. I'm ok with it for the price I paid, but if I had paid full price, or even %50 off, I'd be pissed.

• zombietaggerung said:

I'm trying to find something to use one of my PC+ coupons on and, I was wondering if anyone had a review of this: https://www.daz3d.com/futuristic-rustic-office? I've never bought a Tesla3dCorp item, but I know other items by them have had scaling issues. And the lack of people in the promos is a bit...telling. But I do like the look of it, assuming it's properly scaled, so any reviews would be most welcome. Thanks! 

Can't speak of that environment, but Tesla3DdCorp is a bit "mixed". Some environment are great, some are so-so, some are really crap. And some are good, but technically faulty, e.g. Girls Dorm, which has an animation timeline attached that "melts" the environment whenever you do a timeline dForce simulation. Looks really weird. 

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

Can't speak of that environment, but Tesla3DdCorp is a bit "mixed". Some environment are great, some are so-so, some are really crap. And some are good, but technically faulty, e.g. Girls Dorm, which has an animation timeline attached that "melts" the environment whenever you do a timeline dForce simulation. Looks really weird. 

TOTALLY agree. I had featured one where the kitchen counters were floating above the cabinets below. There's no way that could have been missed. I often buy Tesla for the props, or bare rooms. And only on sale. Thanks for sharing info on the Girls Dorm. Anytime you find issues with the products, would love to have it posted here so others will know. :)  

For those of you looking for Elegant Living, Tim82 has it on Rendo. :)  I love the detail in the products! Did anyone manage to get it while it was here briefly?  If so, have any renders?

• genarisgenaris Posts: 313

There's a sale on PC+ memberships this weekend, so I'm wondering:  If you buy a Quarterly membership, does it really AUTO-RENEW like the product page says, or not?     I've been on the montly plan for literally years until during the store melt-down bs when suddenly my account got "expired" due to payment failure on the same card it's been charging monthly and which I (before, during and AFTER being notified about this pending expiry) successfully used to pay for carts of products at Daz without any problem whatever-- so I have no clue about how these Quarterly and Annual plans work in reality.   Annual is attractively priced now on sale, but because of the above incident, I had to buy a Quarterly membership in December to avoid being out in the cold through the holiday sales event season. Will that Quarterly auto-renew in March?  What happens if I buy an ANNUAL membership now-- will it add on time to my existing Quarterly that will expire in late march, or will I get auto-renew charged for the Quarterly, even though I've bought an Annual? Being it's the weekend I felt I'd more likely get an answer here before the sale expired than if I emailed Daz support (who never satisfactorily resolved the issue with my previous membership; "I will let you know when I hear back," from the team, they wrote to me Dec 31, 2020, so yeah, I'm obviously holding my breath til then).
       ~Gen

Well, first of all anything you buy will be in addition to whatever you have, so the annual does indeed get tacked on to the quarterly you bought. 

I only have experience with Paypal, and I'm trying to remember how that works. I think there is a subscription section, and you would turn off the subscription of the quarterly in Paypal, and I think there is a place in the My Account to turn it off?  I recall conversations saying be sure to do BOTH so it doesn't renew. Don't know how this works on a credit card.

I wait and buy annual when on sale, and they have for years stacked and stacked. I think I'm currently out to the end of 2022. I got them when they were $12 once and $24 another time and so haven't bought any in years :)   So I don't recall exactly how to cancel on the Daz site. 

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858

thank you for the shoutout :D

Thanks for the info, @Novica . . . guess I will make use of the sale and get the annual.  Weirdly, the store glitch that broke my monthly recurring style membership (or covert policy shift away from monthly plan?) means that Daz will get LESS MONEY from me now for my PC+ membership, so  I guess there's some upside for all the agita. :) 
        ~Gen

@genaris Do you know if they ever got all that mess in My Account straightened out? I know mine was wonky but can't remember all the details. Something was missing at one point that we needed to fix the mess, then it came back. I think it was the subscription renew section. 

Wow, that Elegant Living  by Tim82 mentioned above is really sumptuous, but the leaded glass window/door area is especially appealing!
      ~Gen

@northof45 has the set, and told me this- (I know they won't mind me sharing) "the Elegant Living walls don't use bitmaps for color, just the plain Base Color, so you can easily change the walls to your favorite shade with literally three clicks."  So for folks who want lighter walls, apparently it is easy-smeasy  :) 

edited February 2021

Hey, don't miss this one in Fast Grab. You get two outfits, hair, and a character. I like the outfits for Ruo Xi, the wrinkles look good and I really like the neckline on that one shirt. Then I like the wrinkles on the bottom of the full dress, then I like the hair.... you get the idea!  One thing I do seriously like at a glance about the hair- not everyone has ultra-thick hair, so it seems realistic to have ear pokethrough. 

All that for $8.99   

And Ruyun has hair which is very detailed in the back. Note the second row, third promo.

I'd probably postwork the front strands so they aren't so thin, but that would be easy. Side and back shots would be really nice with that braiding in the back. $7.79   She looks really dainty! 

Post edited by Novica on
  • Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

Ruo Xi is really amazing, I love the hair and the outfits!

edited February 2021

Over in the blog, they have this: Feel free to wander around the gallery, explore, and admire other artists’ work too. You can leave comments for compliments or give tips for their next piece.

If it's a tip on subject matter, such as "I'd love to see you do..." that would be a SUGGESTION.  A TIP is telling the artist what you think they could change, or do better. I don't know about you, but if I want your advice on how to do art, I'll ask for it.  I do things the way I want to do it, and so should you. Your style is unique, it is you. However, I personally appreciate being told if I have something I didn't catch, such as hair poking into clothes, legs going through chairs, etc. (So always feel free to say, "Hey, did you know..."   :)   It's quite alright! 

For others, if there's something distracting, I may PM the artist. (Like something coming out of their head which drew my attention instead of the person as intended. Such as something white and thin behind the person which makes it look like steam coming out of the ears, or two poles behind them which make it look like antlers, etc)  Even that is iffy, it's usually those of you I know and you know me. I am NOT going to post that in a gallery comment.

So here's the question- What do you normally do if you see something that may be distracting? (Poles coming out of head, etc)  Does it matter if you know the artist or not?
    What do you do for other artistic elements? Does it matter if you know the artist or not?   

I usually steer clear of last one, as it's personal preference.
    I really wish Daz hadn't encouraged that over in the blog. I don't think I'm interpreting that wrong, but even if I am, others may think it's the green light to start critiquing.   To me- There's a difference in a suggestion (what to do next time) and a tip. (advice for next time.)   Mods- maybe ask the blog person to change "tips" to "suggestions." 

Post edited by Novica on
  • Just a quick heads up  -- Old forum links to your gallery images will need to be updated for the new gallery. Otherwise the link just goes to the gallery in general and not even to the specific users page.

edited February 2021

That's why in this thread, I've asked the images to be posted IN this thread, and in the body of the post, not as an attachment below. It's for easy surfing, I don't want my thread visitors diverted elsewhere to see an image. Thanks for the heads up @charliejudge  It's a shame Daz made a mess of updating that too.

Post edited by Novica on
  • DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621
    edited February 2021

Pandora HD for G8.1F    Swept Bangs Hair for G8F     All Seasons Outfit for G8F   LI Incadenscent Portrait Lights

Pandora HD: I like her alot she comes with both PBR and Uber skin shaders.  Render is PBR.  She comes with Fibermesh Eyebrows, Anatomical Elements Hair and Peach Fuzz.  You can really see the peach fuzz in this render.  To me its to strong and seems to long but I don't spend time studying vellus hair so it might be normal for some. The fuzz does extend down onto her neck.  She comes with multiple eye options and several eye makeup options with and without brows.  There is also an options on both the eyes and the lips to allow you to set your own color.  Im not just completely impressed with the eye makeup options but thats more personal preference than anything.  She also comes with nail colors and blush options. My biggest complaint with her is getting a good smile.  I have tried both dials and the face control and still doesn't look that great to me.  I will admit im not the best with the face controls.

Swept Bangs Hair: OOT what can I say, you can't really go wrong with them.  I love the realism they put into thier hairs with the stray strands.  Theres also a bunch of dials for various looks with the hair. Multiple colors also and thiers usually an add on with OOT hairs to expand the color options.

All Seasons Outfit: This was the first time using this outfit and I only used the jacket.  It does not have alot of morphs but it does dforce (I did not test this).  It comes with an open or closed version, long and short dress and a scarf.  It comes with a couple of texture options for the seperate pieces which is nice.  The jacket looks like it has some thickness to it which is great.  For this render I darkened the base color to give it a darker look.

LI Incandescent Portrait Lights:  I like them, they make a great addition with my other light sets.  Sometimes I use just them and sometimes I add additional lights for the look I want. They have several options from standard lighting to more dramatic lighting.  They also include three different prop backgrounds.

Pandora2022021TM.jpg
    2308 x 3000 - 4M
    Post edited by Daventaki on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158

You are right about that facial hair. Any woman with that would be running for the hair remover cream in a hurry.

• Maybe she performs nights as the bearded lady at the local carnival

@Novica saw your post in the Tell Us! thread and wanted to give a playful poke that you did miss one (the ones I had added). I'm assuming things got hectic or you were tired, but figured it was better to give a little playful poke (hope you don't mind) *virtual hugs*

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808

Novica said:

I don't know about you, but if I want your advice on how to do art, I'll ask for it.  I do things the way I want to do it, and so should you. Your style is unique, it is you. However, I personally appreciate being told if I have something I didn't catch, such as hair poking into clothes, legs going through chairs, etc. (So always feel free to say, "Hey, did you know..."   :)   It's quite alright! 

My Facebook friends list is 2/3rds artists from around the world. I offer compliments but never critiques unless an artist specifically asks for it. Most people seem to follow a similar approach. Once in a while you see someone mention something that either offends an artist or is actually incorrect. 

The two times I appreciate hearing without asking is (1) when something is obviously missed like a foot embedded in the ground or a figure or prop is floating in space as shown by the shadow. That's happened to me a time or two and I appreciated hearing as I was able to quickly correct it. I prefer a PM as otherwise the comment remains as a "you messed up". (2) The other time is when a master in the field (in my case scratchboard) makes a suggestion or gives a tip, as I'm happy to learn from them and value their advice.

Carola O said:

@Novica saw your post in the Tell Us! thread and wanted to give a playful poke that you did miss one (the ones I had added). I'm assuming things got hectic or you were tired, but figured it was better to give a little playful poke (hope you don't mind) *virtual hugs*

I don't mind at all- what date did I miss? I'll update the index. 

I added four pics on february 10 :) You did commented on the pics themselves but I think you just missed to update the index :)

Carola O said:

I added four pics on february 10 :) You did commented on the pics themselves but I think you just missed to update the index :)

Gotcha, thanks. Doing it now. 

This discussion has been closed.