• watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026
    edited February 2020

I created a quick render with Kalen for Dain 8 and I quite like his face:

Gallery link: https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/931021/

Kalen Aviator 4 JPG.jpg
    2880 x 2160 - 1M
    Post edited by watchdog79 on
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,729

Dain 8 has the best (most hyper-realistically shadered) skin of any G8M so far. 'Tis a pity 'bout his Pro Bundle. But if you need a great male skin, he's it. Nix 8 is number 2 on my list, followed by Vladimir, Floyd, Christian.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610
    edited February 2020
    xyer0 said:

Dain 8 has the best (most hyper-realistically shadered) skin of any G8M so far. 'Tis a pity 'bout his Pro Bundle. But if you need a great male skin, he's it. Nix 8 is number 2 on my list, followed by Vladimir, Floyd, Christian.

I'm still waiting for Daz to make SSS maps with actual subsurface aka flesh details rather than just lightened copies of the color map (Dain 8 included). I have to rework the SSS maps for every character I buy. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • alex86firealex86fire Posts: 1,130
    xyer0 said:

I'm still waiting for Daz to make SSS maps with actual subsurface aka flesh details rather than just lightened copies of the color map (Dain 8 included). I have to rework the SSS maps for every character I buy. 

This sounds interesting, are there any tutorials on this?

edited February 2020
    xyer0 said:

Not that I know of...I just found some blood vessel maps on DeviantArt and then started playing with them and the color map in Photoshop. The results are definitely a vast improvement. The first image I attached is my tweaked version of Michael 7's skin and the second is my tweaked version of Monique 7's skin (I did swap in Monique 8's brows). The technique is the same for G3 and G8...it's just these two G3 skins I had handy with closeups. 

Theron Test - Small.jpg
    3500 x 3500 - 4M
    Lennie - Small.jpg
    3500 x 3500 - 7M
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,822
    edited February 2020
    xyer0 said:

The only characters I can think of offhand with that sort of map are Kyle and Kurt by DTG at Renderosity. I can't remember seeing it here at all, as far as I can recall. Kurt is G3 and Kyle is G8, but Base Male, so the maps can be used with other characters. I think those maps may actually not be used by the characters, just included if needed or wanted.

I tried Kurt's vein maps on Dain HD, since Base Male UV is the same across generations. I think it may need finer detail than those maps have, since he looked ... only slightly terrifying! (Click the image to see it larger.)

That's the high density chest hair preset, by the by. That ... is Beyond Baldwin, that is.

Dain 8 with vein map SSS

dain8HD-highdensity-KurtVeinMaps-02.png
    1280 x 1024 - 2M
    Post edited by vwrangler on

I feel like Daz is doing everything in their power not to make me want to get the Dain bundle.

First they removed the $2.20 items a lot earlier without any prior warning or notice, then they started rewarding the people that bought it earlier while waiting to get any kind of combination with other offers or good discounts does nothing.

And since I don't pull the trigger on the Dain offer, I am not getting anything else yet because I don't know what I will want next.

This means I haven't bought anything since Dain appeared and if things are going this way I won't buy anything until March Madness, if that has anything interesting in it.

Maybe it's a sign I have already bought plenty of stuff I haven't used or checked yet and I should spend more time with them instead of in the shop or on the forums.

It now only feels like wasted time for nothing.

• NathNath Posts: 2,728

I feel like Daz is doing everything in their power not to make me want to get the Dain bundle.

First they removed the $2.20 items a lot earlier without any prior warning or notice, then they started rewarding the people that bought it earlier while waiting to get any kind of combination with other offers or good discounts does nothing.

And since I don't pull the trigger on the Dain offer, I am not getting anything else yet because I don't know what I will want next.

This means I haven't bought anything since Dain appeared and if things are going this way I won't buy anything until March Madness, if that has anything interesting in it.

Maybe it's a sign I have already bought plenty of stuff I haven't used or checked yet and I should spend more time with them instead of in the shop or on the forums.

We all hit that point - in some cases several times a year... Go and render, wishlist the things you aren't buying right now. They'll be on sale again.

• Nath said:

We all hit that point - in some cases several times a year... Go and render, wishlist the things you aren't buying right now. They'll be on sale again.

Amen, to that! I'm sure a lot of us could use this very sound advice now and again. 

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,048
    empty said:
    Nath said:

Amen, to that! I'm sure a lot of us could use this very sound advice now and again. 

Who knows, at some point in the future you might be able to choose Dain 8 as your 'free bundle pick' in some future sale... if past history is any indication.

It helps to have a lot of patience with the various Daz sales, if you are trying to stretch your Daz Dollars.

I do agree with the sentiment that, of late, the special offers ending so quickly is rather annoying.  In my case, I jumped on Dain 8 immediately, but due to store glitches I ended up not grabbing the associated fantasy bundle the day it was released, which 'locked me out' of an extra 10% off on a gift card.  I was still pretty happy witth the final discount rate on the gift card I just bought a few hours ago, though.  An extra 6% (after Daz Math) off would have been nice though!

Sometimes it pays to jump on sales early, sometimes it pays to wait for Daz to sweeten the deal with a subsequent offer.  Kinda makes you wish you had a crystal ball for such things...

empty said:
    Nath said:

Who knows, at some point in the future you might be able to choose Dain 8 as your 'free bundle pick' in some future sale... if past history is any indication.

It helps to have a lot of patience with the various Daz sales, if you are trying to stretch your Daz Dollars.

I do agree with the sentiment that, of late, the special offers ending so quickly is rather annoying.  In my case, I jumped on Dain 8 immediately, but due to store glitches I ended up not grabbing the associated fantasy bundle the day it was released, which 'locked me out' of an extra 10% off on a gift card.  I was still pretty happy witth the final discount rate on the gift card I just bought a few hours ago, though.  An extra 6% (after Daz Math) off would have been nice though!

Sometimes it pays to jump on sales early, sometimes it pays to wait for Daz to sweeten the deal with a subsequent offer.  Kinda makes you wish you had a crystal ball for such things...

True, until now, since I joined in Novemeber I never saw jumping quickly being rewarded while I regretted not waiting for several deals.

This time I waited and it proved to be wrong.

I wouldn't be so upset about the gift card if at least the $2.20 offer was still up. The funny thing is that before it was there, I didn't even know I wanted those items but now I want several of them but it feels wrong to buy them at a higher price when I could have bought them for $1.76 each(with the coupon code discount) so I probably won't buy them at all in the end, just resent Daz for taking the offer without prior notice.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,800

LOL, I dislike veins on my characters and usually spend time removing them from transparency maps :)

DAZ and the PA's should start including more realistic transparency maps as an option, me thinks.

Your renders look great!

• sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992
    edited February 2020
    Hylas said:

^ It doesn't bother me on Dain, but it looks weird on Kalen. Wouldn't a black man have much more curly body hair?

Not necessarily.  Black people got all kinds of hair textures, but that body hair does look kinda painted on

Not according to a 2 second Google image search.  They all had curly chest and arm hair.  I'm not even sure I'd used that hair on anybody.  It doesn't look natural.

Post edited by sandmanmax on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Mystarra said:
    L'Adair said:
    Mystarra said:

i'm nervou to take a chance on Nikolai, cuz of the help tix backed up.  a refund  could take a while.

they shoulda gave a promo showing his torso evenly matched skin

@Mystarra, Nikolai is from DarwinsMishap(s) and will have a number of presets for changing the way the skin looks. I have many of his characters, and I've never been disappointed. Not even with the earlier characters. The real limitation with his characters is they do not support 3DL. That's not an issue for me, but it mightbe for you…?

Thank you, L'Adair!

Here is the raw render of the base skin, sss, translucency and gloss that was part of one of the promos with a basic black and white HDRI and three spot lights and no postwork and even some of that funky poke through with the hair because of the spectral rendering setting.

thanks.   i'm seeing sharp contrast from the lower ab to upper ab.  it may be the lighting putting his upper ab in shadow?

or mebbe a square emitter light

I'm sorry, I'm not seeing a contrast within the skin textures as you're describing.  There is a slight shadow from the modeling, as well as the arm position.

Here is a clip of the texture map to show the texture/coloring of the abdominal area:

Okay.  Thanks.  looks better without the iray shadows.

and thanks for this character.  been a long time since a bishounen character. heart

• xyer0 said:

Not that I know of...I just found some blood vessel maps on DeviantArt and then started playing with them and the color map in Photoshop. The results are definitely a vast improvement. The first image I attached is my tweaked version of Michael 7's skin and the second is my tweaked version of Monique 7's skin (I did swap in Monique 8's brows). The technique is the same for G3 and G8...it's just these two G3 skins I had handy with closeups. 

THIS IS INCREDIBLE! What a great render. He's my new desktop

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,277
    Hylas said:

^ It doesn't bother me on Dain, but it looks weird on Kalen. Wouldn't a black man have much more curly body hair?

Not necessarily.  Black people got all kinds of hair textures, but that body hair does look kinda painted on

Not according to a 2 second Google image search.  They all had curly chest and arm hair.  I'm not even sure I'd used that hair on anybody.  It doesn't look natural.

Speaking as a black person and looking at my arm, I think that a cursory Google search is not rigorous.  There isn't any attribute from height, skin color, hair color, straightness of hair, lactose tolerance that is consistent for any group of people and especially not the people of Africa and their descendants.

edited February 2020
    Hylas said:

LOL, I dislike veins on my characters and usually spend time removing them from transparency maps :)

DAZ and the PA's should start including more realistic transparency maps as an option, me thinks.

Your renders look great!

Thank you! And yeah, a lot of skins are too veiny...which I think a large part of the issue is painting them directly onto the color map...as is the case with Dain 8. I know we can't simulate real skin yet but painting subsurface detailing right onto the color map is definitely not the answer. And to the exact opposite, simply lightening the color map to use underneath is also not the answer. For example, Dain 8 has painted body hair...which also appears in the SSS map and that's just...no. With the way the new chromatic SSS system works, there is so much more potential for near photorealism with skin, and I think Daz (and like 99% of the characters being sold) is missing out greatly by not taking advantage of subsurface vs surface details. 

empty said:
    xyer0 said:

THIS IS INCREDIBLE! What a great render. He's my new desktop

Glad you like him! He's my attempt at character fanart from a video game, hence the cranial implants. I pretty much call my tweaks "frankenskins", lol...because I've taught myself how to get what I want by deconstructing and mish-mashing. 

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742

I think they'd make a lot more sales if they were open about their marketing strategy. Ie: Buy the Dain Pro bundle TODAY and you will get these items for $2.20 each, TODAY only and if you buy before January 30th, watch your messages for future discounts! That would seem to benefit both Daz and consumers, but I don't work at Daz marketing, although weirdly I think I would enjoy that job lol.

I think they'd make a lot more sales if they were open about their marketing strategy. Ie: Buy the Dain Pro bundle TODAY and you will get these items for $2.20 each, TODAY only and if you buy before January 30th, watch your messages for future discounts! That would seem to benefit both Daz and consumers, but I don't work at Daz marketing, although weirdly I think I would enjoy that job lol.

I'm with you on that one. I mean I see no downside on announcing their plans and future rewards for buying early. In their place I would even announce the plan for the whole week ahead if I knew it. Lets people know what to expect, on what to spend their money, to log in and check on some of the flash sales, when they occur. They wouldn't have to go into every details of the offers but even something like: 

This week we are releasing a new Pro Bundle followed by a special medieval bundle related to the main character. Later in the week you will get a chance to complete your fantasy collection and build your own battle bundle. We've also got something planned for the gamers out there. Last but not least, you will get a chance to complete your Pro Bundle collection at massively discounted prices and fill back your credit with a nice discount on gift cards. Early shoppers of the new Pro Bundle will get extra rewards, you know what they say: "Early bird gets the worm!". We wish you a nice week and happy rendering!

On the other side, not doing that just ends up pissing people off about missed offers. It's like they want some people to miss on those offers although I couldn't say why. 

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,255
    edited February 2020

Meanwhile, I rather think that the separate fantasy bundles released the following day is a step in a good direction. There seem to be a lot of people who simply do not render fantasy images, and there are probably just as many who render almost nothing else. Separating out the fantasy stuff will probably generate additional sales on the fantasy bundle. And if it's released the *next day* that will give people a chance to at least pick up the base character, if a fantasy add-on requires it, before the extra incentaves disappear. 

It might nudge a few sales of the first bundles as well, particularly if the characters and hair look useful.

Post edited by JOdel on
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,729
    Hylas said:

Wow.

JOdel said:

Meanwhile, I rather think that the separate fantasy bundles released the following day is a step in a good direction. There seem to be a lot of people who simply do not render fantasy images, and there are probably just as many who render almost nothing else. Separating out the fantasy stuff will probably generate additional sales on the fantasy bundle. And if it's released the *next day* that will give people a chance to at least pick up the base character, if a fantasy add-on requires it, before the extra incentaves disappear. 

It might nudge a few sales of the first bundles as well, particularly if the characters and hair look useful.

I actually imagined the build your own bundle like that (before I saw how terrible the offer really is).

I saw it as a way to allow people to build bundles that they would use instead of buying a bundle because of good price but only use half of it or less.

I imagined the build your own bundle more like choose a base character, 2 additional characters, 2 pieces of hair, some outfits and some poses and get a normal bundle pricing for that, instead of paying sepparate prices for that.

That would allow for people who render almost only fantasy to build their fantasy bundles, people who render contemporary stuff to build their own bundles, if you don't render military stuff but you still like some characters and hair, you could also adapt a bundle to fit that.

Unfortunately, it's not like that.

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,048
    edited February 2020

I'm not sure how easy it would be to set up a pro bundle as 'Option A' vs 'Option B' short of doing a 'build your own bundle', but it would have been cool to have a 'Dain 8 Fantasy Pro bundle offer' as opposed to just the 'Dain 8 Fantasy addon' bundle, for those that weren't really interested in the more modern day outfits.

Of course, then Daz couldn't have 'pawned off'' those outfits on us that so many people are disappointed in.  As I said before, I'm sure this was one of the things in play that prompted the purple banner offer, and the otherwise more generous 'bonus items' offer than we saw with CJ8.

I do have to agree that unless you don't mind the lower quality meshes and such on a couple of the pro bundle outfits in the Dain 8, though, that he may not be as good of a value once those bonus offers go away though.  It's good that a few of you brought your disappointment to CS's attention, via tickets and refunds and such.  Hopefully this will help raise the bar a bit on Daz's end when they put together future bundles.

Here's to hoping that this is a 'live and learn' moment.

Post edited by tj_1ca9500b on
  • Dain 8

futursoldier.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 426K
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,800

^ such a babe :)

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Smoke Break, by L'Adair

This isn't a great image artistically. I just wanted to show how realistic the chest hair can look by tweaking the many settings. I shortened the hairs, added some random lengths, made it less dense, added a bit of clumping…

• XelloszXellosz Posts: 742

I might get Dain 8 later but not touching that "Pro bundle" Thx for the infos.

L'Adair said:

Okay, just for those of you who are having trouble visualizing the comments about the Bouncer outfit, here are some viewport draws to drive home the issues.

First, the pants:

Bouncer Pants Mesh Wireframe

Bouncer Pants Mesh Solid

Notice the top of the pants is as flat as a plane. The bottom of the pant legs at least curve inward. Regardless, I cannot comprehend how this is acceptable modeling.

Next the "Suit" object which is the jacket, pocket kerchief, shirt, buttons tie and tie clasp. The tie and tie clasp are separate meshes, as are the buttons, if you want to isolated them using the geometry editor tool, The rest of the "Suit" is a single mesh. Here's the overall object in Lit Wireframe:

Bouncer Suit Mesh Lit Wireframe

Notice how the mesh curves inward on the bottom of the object.

And here closeups of the right and left sleeves at the wrist. First is the right sleeve:

Bouncer Suit Mesh Lit Wireframe Closeup Right Sleeve

And here's the left sleeve. Notice the mesh is rounded inside where it is solid:

Bouncer Suit Mesh Lit Wireframe Closeup Left Sleeve

Is it any wonder this clothing explodes if you try to use dForce on it?

• Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 554
    edited February 2020

Here's my first render of him:

Post edited by Chohole on
  • My first post here on Daz in a long while. Testing Dain out with my own head morph! Love his textures. Rendered with Iray 

daz41.png
    1500 x 1125 - 2M
    daz31.png
    1500 x 1125 - 1M
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,148

Very sexy Silas3D