ot Blizzardy Warning? whiskey tango foxtrot

Comments

• Pixel8tedPixel8ted Posts: 588
    kyoto kid said:

...Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Illinois?  That seems to be the area being hit with ice.

Yeah, never good when you get a day that is listed as 80% ICE on your forcast. KCMO local forcast.

ice bowl.PNG
    572 x 307 - 447K
  • SixDs said:

Well it was down to about -35C up here this morning. Getting pretty close to overtaking Fahrenheit. At least the winds have died down from yesterday - they were fairly howling.

You live on Mars?   If you see Carbon Dioxide snow falling it's about -75C and time for another coat.surprise

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384
    edited January 2017

Nope, just Canada. Pretty normal hereabouts for January. As for Peter's post, I have noticed an increasing tendency for some weather outlets to sensationalize the weather, apparently taking a page from many news outlets book. The lesson of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" is apparently lost on them.

Post edited by SixDs on
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited January 2017
    kyoto kid said:

...Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Illinois?  That seems to be the area being hit with ice.

Illinois here, south of Chicago, in a beautiful rural area. We got hit pretty good. Strangely, no school delays despite dangerous road conditions. No power outtages thankfully around here.

Post edited by Llynara on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,189
    edited January 2017
    SixDs said:

Nope, just Canada. Pretty normal hereabouts for January. As for Peter's post, I have noticed an increasing tendency for some weather outlets to sensationalize the weather, apparently taking a page from many news outlets book. The lesson of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" is apparently lost on them.

Yeah, I live down here in the deep south (an hour south of Buffalo, NY) yet when I was in high school (50+ years ago) I remember days when the thermometer outside our kitchen window read -30F or -40F and all the kids in this little town still had to walk a few blocks to stand in the cold to wait for the school bus. (true story)indecision

Oh, and it was up hill both ways. (not so true).cheeky

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • ButchButch Posts: 797
    fred9803 said:

Oh my heart bleeds for you all. At the moment I'm a prisoner in my bedroom, the only room I have AC, and it's 40C (104F) outside. The AC struggles to keep the temp at an even 27C (80F) which is not cool, but at least much better than outside. Give me cold any day.

Doing better than I.  It's been low 40c here for the past week or so and, occasionally, gets below 30c overnight.  Aircon's only in the backroom and I'm at the front of the house with my solitary fan sad .  I keep meaning to get another, but it's too hot to go out and it's an hours drive to a town that has more than one shop that sells fans, to get a decent price.  If I buy online, we're classed as "remote" and get charged for delivery and it takes a week.  Give me mild, anyday

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,591

..sort of like Portland where I live. Gahh! A snoflake! Chain all the buses up, close all the schools, go on 24 hour "Winterageddon" coverage on the local news channels!

Once in a while, all the panic actually makes sense as we got socked with 14" this week that won't go away until Monday or Tuesday.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

wuh ohs  sky gettin ready to dump  >.<

winter storm and gale warnings

... WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 6 PM EST THURSDAY... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 6 PM EST THURSDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT. * ACCUMULATIONS... 6 TO 10 INCHES OF SNOW. * LOCATIONS... NEW YORK CITY, LONG ISLAND, SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT, THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY AND NORTHEASTERN NEW JERSEY. * HAZARD TYPE... HEAVY SNOW. * TIMING... LATE TONIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY. * IMPACTS... HAZARDOUS TRAVEL DUE TO SNOW COVERED ROADS AND POOR VISIBILITIES. BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW IS POSSIBLE. * WINDS... NORTH 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS 30-35 MPH. * VISIBILITIES... 1/2 TO 1/4 MILE AT TIMES. * TEMPERATURES... AROUND 30. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL... KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT... FOOD... AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY. 

• 3:42am EST, Wed Feb 8

... GALE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 9 AM TO 7 PM EST THURSDAY... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON HAS ISSUED A GALE WARNING... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 9 AM TO 7 PM EST THURSDAY. THE GALE WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT. * WINDS AND SEAS... NORTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 40 KT. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET ON THE SOUND. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A GALE WARNING MEANS SUSTAINED WINDS OR FREQUENT GUSTS OF 34 TO 47 KT ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. OPERATING A VESSEL IN GALE CONDITIONS REQUIRES EXPERIENCE AND PROPERLY EQUIPPED VESSELS. IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT MARINERS WITHOUT THE PROPER EXPERIENCE SEEK SAFE HARBOR PRIOR TO THE ONSET OF GALE CONDITIONS.

• 3:47am EST, Wed Feb 8

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,780

That sounds like the weather we had here day before yesterday. Last night it had settled down but was bloody cold, -15C with a -26 wind chill. It's warmed up a bit now but there is still sloppy, stormy weather down around Clarenville way and freezing rain & ice headed our way this evening/tonight. Hydro is on alert due to extreme cold putting high demand on the system and of course possibility of ice damage to the lines. They're not asking us to conserve yet but it's touch-and-go. Tomorrow I think we get a bit of a break before the next weather maker rolls in, ain't winter grand!cheeky

Byrdie said:

That sounds like the weather we had here day before yesterday. Last night it had settled down but was bloody cold, -15C with a -26 wind chill. It's warmed up a bit now but there is still sloppy, stormy weather down around Clarenville way and freezing rain & ice headed our way this evening/tonight. Hydro is on alert due to extreme cold putting high demand on the system and of course possibility of ice damage to the lines. They're not asking us to conserve yet but it's touch-and-go. Tomorrow I think we get a bit of a break before the next weather maker rolls in, ain't winter grand!cheeky

being snowed in is okay, if i have power, food, and toilet paper.  snowed in means party time with carrara smiley

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,722

There is no sign of snow here.  Some of the flowers think it is spring.

Food & toilet paper & necessities all stocked up, power has held out so far but we'll see how it goes when that freezing rain hits. Peak usage is between 5 & 8 PM but they just announced the watch is off since it's warmed up a couple degrees from this morning so we might be lucky there. Have not lost power so far this winter but we're not out of the woods yet. My cell phone & tablets have been charged and I've batteries for the flashlights & radios. But no power means no heat and that's the main thing to worry about in a house with all elderly/disabled people. Otherwise I'm happy to hole up with a good book (e-books, can't read the paper variety any more) and wait till the storm blows over.

Oh, and Poser if there's power. Gotta have something to pass the time, eh? 

they changed our Winter Storm Warning to Blizzard Warning.  10-14 inches   

Blizzard Warning for Northwest Suffolk County, New York

... BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 6 PM EST THURSDAY... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD WARNING... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 6 PM EST THURSDAY. THE WINTER STORM WARNING IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT. * SNOW ACCUMULATIONS... 10 TO 14 INCHES... LOCALLY HIGHER. * LOCATIONS... SUFFOLK COUNTY. * HAZARD TYPE... HEAVY SNOW. * TIMING... LATE TONIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY. * IMPACTS... HAZARDOUS/DANGEROUS TRAVEL DUE TO SNOW COVERED ROADS AND POOR VISIBILITIES. BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW IS LIKELY. LOCAL POWER OUTAGES WITH DOWNED TREES AND POWERLINES POSSIBLE. * WINDS... NORTH 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 45 MPH. * VISIBILITIES... ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES. * TEMPERATURES... FALLING INTO THE 20S. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A BLIZZARD WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW WITH STRONG WINDS AND POOR VISIBILITIES ARE LIKELY. THIS WILL LEAD TO WHITEOUT CONDITIONS... MAKING TRAVEL EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. DO NOT TRAVEL. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL... HAVE A WINTER SURVIVAL KIT WITH YOU. IF YOU GET STRANDED... STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE.

• Issuing Office: New York City

Source: National.Weather.Service

3:17pm EST, Wed Feb 8

edited February 2017
    Byrdie said:

Food & toilet paper & necessities all stocked up, power has held out so far but we'll see how it goes when that freezing rain hits. Peak usage is between 5 & 8 PM but they just announced the watch is off since it's warmed up a couple degrees from this morning so we might be lucky there. Have not lost power so far this winter but we're not out of the woods yet. My cell phone & tablets have been charged and I've batteries for the flashlights & radios. But no power means no heat and that's the main thing to worry about in a house with all elderly/disabled people. Otherwise I'm happy to hole up with a good book (e-books, can't read the paper variety any more) and wait till the storm blows over.

Oh, and Poser if there's power. Gotta have something to pass the time, eh? 

...freezing rain = my bane.  At my age slipping and falling could mean a stay in the hospital. When I see that in the advance forecast, (or even snow here, as it usually changes to freezing rain before it finally warms up enough), I head to the market to stock up for several days.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

We're still in the "Special Weather Statement" stage yet. Hoping it misses altogether. Stay safe!

MistyMist said:

they changed our Winter Storm Warning to Blizzard Warning.  10-14 inches   

Blizzard Warning for Northwest Suffolk County, New York

... BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 6 PM EST THURSDAY... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD WARNING... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 6 PM EST THURSDAY. THE WINTER STORM WARNING IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT. * SNOW ACCUMULATIONS... 10 TO 14 INCHES... LOCALLY HIGHER. * LOCATIONS... SUFFOLK COUNTY. * HAZARD TYPE... HEAVY SNOW. * TIMING... LATE TONIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY. * IMPACTS... HAZARDOUS/DANGEROUS TRAVEL DUE TO SNOW COVERED ROADS AND POOR VISIBILITIES. BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW IS LIKELY. LOCAL POWER OUTAGES WITH DOWNED TREES AND POWERLINES POSSIBLE. * WINDS... NORTH 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 45 MPH. * VISIBILITIES... ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES. * TEMPERATURES... FALLING INTO THE 20S. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A BLIZZARD WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW WITH STRONG WINDS AND POOR VISIBILITIES ARE LIKELY. THIS WILL LEAD TO WHITEOUT CONDITIONS... MAKING TRAVEL EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. DO NOT TRAVEL. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL... HAVE A WINTER SURVIVAL KIT WITH YOU. IF YOU GET STRANDED... STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE.

3:17pm EST, Wed Feb 8

...we dodged a big bullet with the last storm here as all the snow and ice went north into Washington State.  All we got was cold rain, a lot off it as well. Some of the outlying Western burbs as well as the Cascade foothills and Columbia River Gorge got snow and ice but the city proper, just rain. 

Supposedly there is a an ice storm warning for east of the city in the Gorge for today and tomorrow with up to one and a half inches of ice, not snow, expected.

Last year at this time here, tulips were coming up already.

yeah, really missing the tulips

snowing non-stop

i think snowing tapered off.  hearing snow blower outside

20170209_164528.jpg
    900 x 1600 - 260K

...looking at current pictures, seems Long Island got the worst of it.

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562
    edited February 2017

Oh shucks!

Post edited by fred9803 on
    edited February 2017

...ahh, defintley not the Liverpool where the Titanic was built or those four lads who rocked the music world back in the 1960s came from.

Sydney on the coast hit 105°.

A little more reasonable down in Melbourne, only 87°

The "other" Liverpool: 40° & 30° (F)

Post edited by kyoto kid on

brace for impact >.<

Blizzard Watch for Northwest Suffolk County, New York

... BLIZZARD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY EVENING... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD WATCH, WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY EVENING. * LOCATIONS... NEW YORK CITY, LONG ISLAND, SOUTHERN WESTCHESTER, SOUTHERN FAIRFIELD, SOUTHERN NEW HAVEN, MIDDLESEX, AND NEW LONDON COUNTIES. * HAZARD TYPES... SNOW, AND STRONG AND GUSTY WINDS. * SNOW ACCUMULATIONS... 12 TO 18 INCHES. * TIMING... LATE MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY EVENING. * IMPACTS... HAZARDOUS TRAVEL AND POTENTIAL FOR POWER OUTAGES DUE TO MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW AND GUSTY WINDS. * WINDS... NORTHEAST 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS 40 TO 50 MPH. * TEMPERATURES... IN THE UPPER 20S. * VISIBILITIES... ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A BLIZZARD WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR FALLING AND/OR BLOWING SNOW WITH STRONG WINDS AND EXTREMELY POOR VISIBILITIES. THIS CAN LEAD TO WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AND MAKE TRAVEL VERY DANGEROUS

3:38pm EST, Sat Mar 11

• LotharenLotharen Posts: 282

Send some of that cold weather to Georgia! We havn't really had a winter here, been in the 70's and 80's - in February! Been a really weird year, weather wise.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,410

been very mild here in Ohio. Haven't had much snow at all. Lately its been in the 50F-60F

when they advise to stock up on non-perishables,  they mean cake and cookies, right? angel

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,189
    edited March 2017
    MistyRara said:

when they advise to stock up on non-perishables,  they mean cake and cookies, right? angel

And in a blizzard, ice cream is also a non-perishable. smiley  Whereas in a Florida hurricane, ice cream is comfort food to be eaten immediately after the lights go out for good. yes

The last two days here have been on & off blizzardish.  It's stopped for the rest of today but tomorrow it begins again for several days.  I'm waiting for that lamb to show up again.

But since the blizzard has stopped for today, I have to yet again dig out my car and go install that printer. frown Oh, my poor back, feet, knees, hips.  I'm not used to rushing around taking care of other cripples as I had to yesterday. indecision

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • E-ArkhamE-Arkham Posts: 733
    Lotharen said:

Send some of that cold weather to Georgia! We havn't really had a winter here, been in the 70's and 80's - in February! Been a really weird year, weather wise.

Yeah, no kidding.  Today it's 37F out and I love it.  Cooler this week than it has been most of the winter!  Considering what a warm winter we've had, I'm really dreading summer.

It was snowing this morning and it is all gone now.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

Not looking forward to any snow... I'm totally out of penguin repellent and being that every store in our area is stocked for SUMMER, good luck finding any snow related supplies.

Thank you corporate America for the continued "seasonal creep" and making sure nothing in the stores has anything to do with the current season.

On the plus side I can deck the Penguins out in cute little bikinis.

McGyver said:

Not looking forward to any snow... I'm totally out of penguin repellent and being that every store in our area is stocked for SUMMER, good luck finding any snow related supplies.

Thank you corporate America for the continued "seasonal creep" and making sure nothing in the stores has anything to do with the current season.

On the plus side I can deck the Penguins out in cute little bikinis.

Lol actually I am glad there is not Halloween stuff yet but there is easter stuff.  Easter is not until April 16th and it is the twelfth of March!