ot Blizzardy Warning? whiskey tango foxtrot

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,572
    edited February 2016

...or the winter of '76 -'77. Was living  back in Madison, Wisconsin at the time where I woke up to find a one half inch layer of ice on the water in the glass beside my bed. The house I lived in was an old drafty Victorian and the low that night was -42° F.

The ice pack on Lake Mendota was so thick you could safely walk across it almost into March.  Lake Michigan nearly froze over entirely.

Crikey, they got snow as far south as Miami that year.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453

Predicted high in SF today is 73F. Just wait, in June, it'll be 53. wink Want to know where everybody in Cal went on President's Day? The beach!

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,173
    edited February 2016

I can confirm that it gets cold in Florida.  I've seen snowflakes in Melbourne (half way down on the east coast of FL.)  I've also been camping and SCUBA diving up near Gainsville, FL where after a beautiful warm Florida day of diving we came out of the 72F degree water of the springs after the last night dive and hung our wetsuits on a line to dry while we retired to our tents for the night.  The planned dive the next morning was delayed a little by the surprise of an inch of snow on the ground and our wetsuits were frozen stiff.   But dipping them into the still 72F degree water thawed them out quickly but they were a bitch to get on while wet.  After the morning dive we came up from the 60 foot depths and the snow was falling heavily on our heads as we bobbed at the surface.  We looked like those Japanese monkeys. laugh  That same cold morning I spied a big spider web dusted with snowflakes and tried to take a photo of it but my camera was so cold the shutter didn't work. sad

SnowMonkeys.jpg
    600 x 400 - 146K
    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380

We ended up getting 12 inches of snow on top of the 4 inches we already had. I can't get out my front door cause the snow is blocking it. Our shovel broke and we don't have one ATM so we can't shovel it.

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,775

A familiar situation from the Great Blackout of 2014, only our shovel didn't break. There was so much snow blocking the door we couldn't get it open wide enough to poke a shovel out. Had to wait until a neighbour got to us maybe a day and a half later. Not fun, I feel your pain. sad

edited February 2016

Snow seems to have stopped now.  We got perhaps 8-10 inches of really wet gloppy stuff.  I went out on the porch a couple of times during the day and swept the mushy stuff off but at the end of the storm I took the shovel and scooped the piles of snow off the steps and cleared about a three foot path to the driveway.  About killed me.  Heavy heavy snow.  Then I waited.  And waited... and as I knew he would, the neighbor came home from work and got a running start with his truck and zoomed up the driveway creating a walkable path from the sidewalk up to and past the little 3-foot path I shoveled to my steps.  Am I clever or what? 

I needed a cleared path because tomorrow I'm getting a visitor!  I've been selected to be a Nielsen TV rating household surprise and they're coming tomorrow to install the monitor boxes.  I don't know how it works but the guy who came here two weeks ago brought a basket of goodies (chocolate & cookies and kettlecorn. etc. Yum!) and all the paperwork and I answered lots of questions about my viewing habits including that I record almost all programs on DVR and skip over 99% of commercials but he didn't find that offputting so I accepted their $50 initial payment and the tiny monthly payments to come as long as I remain connected.  He was a little concerned at first about the complexity of my AV system but after consultation with their technicians they agreed that they could monitor the necessary devices. yes Two weeks ago when the guy showed up at my door with the big fancy basket I started looking for the cameras and a person with a big ceremonial multi-million dollar check, but alas. sad

Off topic of the off topic, if that's okay. Been playing with some of my shiny new toys thanks to Daz_Steve's generous impromptu contest but having trouble getting his hair to look like anything other than plastic. It's the Julian Hair by AprilYSH and this is a test render from DS 4.8. No Iray, I have not the foggiest how to set that up. In Poser I might have a clue how to fix it in the materials room, but I'm totally lost when it comes to Daz Studio materials and render settings.  

JuliusHairTest.jpg
    561 x 612 - 144K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Are you using .mc6 mat settings from the PoserCF?

I don't think so, not in Studio. That was rendered in Daz, will check if it does the same in Poser. 

In Poser the scene loaded funny. I had to reload the hair and this is how the Poser materials look. Not much better, eh?

JuliusTest_Poser.jpg
    525 x 584 - 134K

I think it's a lighting issue. Used the lights that came with the hair and it's much better. Only now his eyes are kinda flat & dull. Suggestions?

Julian_2B_AYSHLights_RenderCamera.jpg
    561 x 612 - 101K

Snow seems to have stopped now.  We got perhaps 8-10 inches of really wet gloppy stuff.  I went out on the porch a couple of times during the day and swept the mushy stuff off but at the end of the storm I took the shovel and scooped the piles of snow off the steps and cleared about a three foot path to the driveway.  About killed me.  Heavy heavy snow.  Then I waited.  And waited... and as I knew he would, the neighbor came home from work and got a running start with his truck and zoomed up the driveway creating a walkable path from the sidewalk up to and past the little 3-foot path I shoveled to my steps.  Am I clever or what? 

I needed a cleared path because tomorrow I'm getting a visitor!  I've been selected to be a Nielson TV rating household surprise and they're coming tomorrow to install the monitor boxes.  I don't know how it works but the guy who came here two weeks ago brought a basket of goodies (chocolate & cookies and kettlecorn. etc. Yum!) and all the paperwork and I answered lots of questions about my viewing habits including that I record almost all programs on DVR and skip over 99% of commercials but he didn't find that offputting so I accepted their $50 initial payment and the tiny monthly payments to come as long as I remain connected.  He was a little concerned at first about the complexity of my AV system but after consultation with their technicians they agreed that they could monitor the necessary devices. yes Two weeks ago when the guy showed up at my door with the big fancy basket I started looking for the cameras and a person with a big ceremonial multi-million dollar check, but alas. sad

...they still do Nielsen Ratings? Interesting.

edited February 2016

kyoto kid said:

...they still do Nielsen Ratings? Interesting.

Yeah, I'd have thought that it had gone the way of the dinosaurs too.  The wikipedia article about Nielsen is interesting.  Apparently lots of controversy about its accuracy.  Even when I was a young teen (around 1960) I thought Nielsen was silly and inaccurate because they had to expect people to manually fill out little diaries.  Yeah right, people are going to truthfully and conscientiously jot down everything they watch?  <snicker, snicker>  But at least now they have electronic boxes that somehow keep track of it all automatically.  But their methods still seem like smoke and mirrors and fodder for those loveable creatures the marketing species.   But hey, if they're going to give me chocolate & cookies & kettlecorn and $50 plus a monthly stipend just for turning on my TV and letting their little box detect which channel its tuned to whether I actually watch it or not, who am I to throw that money away?

Around here they still do -- or did -- the diary thing. At least when our house was picked maybe 20-odd years ago, that's what they sent us in the mail. No chocolate or cookies or cash, either. Not even a coupon for a free Coke or a bag of chips. sad Filled it out, mailed it, never heard from them again. I'm not sure they even do ratings in Canada any more.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

melting snow leaving mud strong enough to pull boots off my feet.

Spring must come early in your neck of the woods. Either that or Mother Nature is having a hot flash.

el nino they calling it, is very bizarre temperature fluxes

lota downed tree limbs.  wind yesterday blew apart my windchimes i had hanging outside for over 20 years. silly to feel sad over it. *sniffl*

kept meaning to stick my mic out the window and record the chimes,  but was so cold, 

We have a bit of wind too today and it's finally warmed up enough I can put the washer on without risking frozen pipes. Looks like it's gonna yo-yo between freeze and thaw for the rest of the week, according to the latest forecast. Which will probably change again before suppertime so I don't put much stock in it. 

weather iz doing it again, beens snowing non-stop all day

>.<  

... WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT EST TONIGHT... * LOCATIONS... NEW LONDON COUNTY IN CONNECTICUT AND SUFFOLK COUNTY IN NEW YORK. * HAZARD TYPES... HEAVY SNOW. AREAS OF BLOWING SNOW. * TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS... 8 TO 12 INCHES. AREAS OF OVER A FOOT ON THE SOUTH FORK OF LONG ISLAND ARE LIKELY. * VISIBILITIES... ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES. * TIMING... HEAVILY INTO EARLY THIS AFTERNOON... THEN TAPERING OFF BY MIDNIGHT. * WINDS... NORTH 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH. * TEMPERATURES... IN THE LOWER 20S. * IMPACTS... HAZARDOUS TRAVEL DUE TO SNOW COVERED ROADS AND REDUCED VISIBILITIES. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL... KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT... FOOD... AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

• Issuing Office: New York City

Source: National.Weather.Service

2:57pm EST, Sat Jan 7

Ah, the good ole -- or should I say bad ole? -- weather thread! This is what I just got back home from my sister's to see:

Issued at 15:50 Saturday 07 January 2017

Winter storm and snowfall warnings have been issued for northern and western regions. Further to the south and east, total snowfall amounts are expected to be lower, with snow changing through ice pellets and freezing rain to rain by Sunday afternoon as temperatures rise above freezing. Strong easterly winds will develop along the south coast of Newfoundland overnight tonight and may cause reduced visibility in blowing snow early Sunday morning. 

The public is advised to monitor future forecasts and warnings.

Along with some nasty cold temps, windchill and ice pellets in the mix, looks to be a lovely weekend ... Not!

some of this deflect the bite of ole man winter  brr brr

21-year-header_en-GB.jpg
    354 x 665 - 64K
    17_en-GB.png
    111 x 476 - 29K
  • AtiAti Posts: 9,081

-26C forecast for tonight. -14.8F

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,702
    edited January 2017

Not sure the temperature now but it is dark outside so it is dropping.  Wait!  it is dark outside!  oh dear!

edit: nope not that dark it is just the window blinds making it look really dark but it is not really bright out either.

Post edited by Sfariah D on
  • being generous with US this year and sharing our snow so enjoy while you can and their is plenty more to go around, let's go tour Siberia she said it will be fun, and completely forgot to mention once the temps drop your stuck till spring it's a little chilled on a southern born american guy. So cold turn off any unprotected vehicle outside it's not going to restart YAKUTSK, RUSSIA as of 10:28 am YAKT -43 feels like -68 H -41 L -45
    Yakutsk morning.jpg
    620 x 465 - 58K
  • ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794
    edited January 2017

I just knew we'd get hit with snow more than what the meteorologist was saying.  It started out as flakes falling oh so gently and innocently this morning as it progressed to a steady snow storm all day long, finishing just only a couple of hours ago.  Sigh....now that the snow has stopped falling...the streets are starting to look mushy.  That's that thing with snow...I only get excited about it as it is falling, but who wants to see dirty and mucky yucky streets afterwards?  Hopefully no more for the rest of the year.indecision

Post edited by ThatGuy on

...here in Portland OR, the snow has given way to freezing rain even though the temperature at the surface is 5° below freezing.  Temps at higher elevations are actually warmer so snow turns to rain which when it contacts the sill very cold ground almost instantly freezes forming a layer of ice over everything. One of the major reasons I hate winter here.  At least in Wisconsin when the snow stopped it was still cold enough to remain snow.

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

Snow's done for now hereabouts. Just about got it all shoveled up. Squeaky underfoot now, down to about -29C tonight.

• FossilFossil Posts: 166
    SixDs said:

Snow's done for now hereabouts. Just about got it all shoveled up. Squeaky underfoot now, down to about -29C tonight.

That's my kind of winter!  We measure our snowfall in metres and I spend way too much time behind my snowblower.  Two years ago I could walk up the snowdrift onto the roof of my house.  Surprisingly I don't bother with four wheel drive.  My trusty old Honda Civic is shod with studded snow tires all around and I drive rings around the idiots in SUV's who think they don't need snow tires.  Evenings are filled with the high pitched whine of snowmachines in the woods.

• ermullens said:
    being generous with US this year and sharing our snow so enjoy while you can and their is plenty more to go around, let's go tour Siberia she said it will be fun, and completely forgot to mention once the temps drop your stuck till spring it's a little chilled on a southern born american guy. So cold turn off any unprotected vehicle outside it's not going to restart YAKUTSK, RUSSIA as of 10:28 am YAKT -43 feels like -68 H -41 L -45

Brrr... looks frosty.   Enjoy it while you can. devil

I love those beaver Ushanka (Ушанка) hats.  I'd like one, but real ones are a little costly in the US. sad https://russianlegacy.com/beaver-fur-hats-c-45_306.html?osCsid=21c531dd91a4b909fd69f1505f135a5b

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Well I had about 48 2 litre bottles of Mountain Dew & Sunkist Orange freeze and about a half dozen exploded with some amount of force. Who knew 15 F degrees for 2 or 3 could do that. Shards of frozen soda all over my carport. Those are very strong plastic bottles. I've moved the remaining ones to the basement now, I guess I'll find out which one leak in the next few days as they thaw out.