Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 12

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,861

Some?  Seriously.  Most of the shoppers aren't even on the forums. Many of the people are getting inconsistent results, and we're only a small sample.

I do agree that Daz is working to find out why it isn't working- but there came a time when common sense needed to kick in. IT AIN'T WORKING CONSISTENTLY, pull the plug. Use a code. Done.

edited December 2019

Hey thanks Worlds Edge for donating $20 to the Because I Said So!  Oops contest! 

I got the Entry Thread up and running here in the Art Studio, so you folks have fun!  I've thought of a funny one that I might render, using an old, old product that would be easy to go haywire. 

Post edited by Novica on

@daventaki   LOL using the Daz Deals plugin where it shows forum references, I found a lot of posts going to MY thread for a certain product,  and low and behold, one was YOU showing your cart for which included the Turbo Content product.   You paid 13.99 and that's 65% off. So put in a support ticket because it's 81%  (Not sure if this is supposed to have the loyalty or not. I've been SO confused during these sales.)  You bought on November 30th SO TODAY IS THE 30th DAY and you can get a refund. 13.99- 7.55 is 6.44

This is the first time my thread has spotted a better deal for someone because they showed their cart. I had a good laugh, we certainly didn't plan it. 

So for anyone else who bought it, heads up!  

@robertfriese   I just found (using that same Daz Deals, looking at threads)  you said in my thread that you wishlisted it, so if you haven't gotten it yet, now's the time.

edited December 2019

These Army poses are not Army poses at in regards to the salutes. You do NOT SALUTE THAT WAY IN THE ARMY. Your fingertips TOUCH YOUR BROW and do not shoot way up your forehead.  Your arm goes perpendicular to your shoulder, your arm does NOT swing forward in front of you. These are absolutely horrible.  You do not stand with your feet awkwardly apart, note the two people saluting, their feet don't even MATCH what the other person is doing!  One even has his feet together! (To simplify it, let's just say your heels should be together and the toes point outward. .)    Here's the graphics on what that SHOULD be. Note the feet under "method 2."

Edit- If these aren't Army poses, they shouldn't be labeled as such. See the post several posts down. They are FICTIONAL MILITARY POSES at best, and lax feet placement even at that. The description says they are not representational, aka fictional, so don't label them ARMY. 
    Signed,
    Ex-Army Captain Cathie

Post edited by Novica on
  • frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

Heads up if you have any wishlisted items at Renderosity, as there's a 24 hour 50% off wishlist sale again.

I almost forgot, so will mention it. WildDesigns has a lot of vendors who do materials for the clothing over at Rendo. Her store is going 79% for me (interesting as the cart before this, the other vendors were 81%)  So if you're thinking about an outfit, put it in the search engine over at Rendo and see some of the gorgeous options you have. May make it really worthwhile to get the outfit here. (I have a lot of them, can't name any in particular.)  For example, some may make fancy lace for the midriff and totally change up the look, do transparency or add to the outfit where there is a bare midriff. In other words, really change it up. So don't judge the outfits by their first appearance here. 

edited December 2019

Want to point out Rustic Well Vignette by TangoAlpha has rigged water. I also like those leaves- they don't appear to be the awful floating kind we see too often- you know, the wafer thin ones? These seem to have more substance.  I'm getting 56% off (at the moment LOL) and I think the starting prices on the releases today are really good. 3djoji did a superb job on the boat wood, my goodness! The Marmara gives you nice open space for cargo and characters, would be easy to set up cameras.

The Dead Bonsai Trees would be excellent for a creepy forest, just bury them below the ground plane so the trunks don't have the huge roots. Add some fog and you really have creepy trees!

Post edited by Novica on

Here's an interesting gal by Vex, who is in the vendor sale section- be sure and look at Xyl's options. And the gallery image.

• alex86firealex86fire Posts: 1,130

I haven't managed to read everything in this thread but are you guys saying that the 2.99 deal should still be available?

I thought that they decided to introduce the 1 time deal per customer and that also calculates from the past so if you used it in any of the previous days, you should not get the offer anymore.

For me, I have not been getting the 2.99 price since Christmas day or something, with or without new products in basket.

I think the Daz prices on shop and offer are broken as hell. I rarely get the same price in cart as I see in shop.

• Novica said:

These Army poses are not Army poses at in regards to the salutes. You do NOT SALUTE THAT WAY IN THE ARMY. Your fingertips TOUCH YOUR BROW and do not shoot way up your forehead.  Your arm goes perpendicular to your shoulder, your arm does NOT swing forward in front of you. These are absolutely horrible.  You do not stand with your feet awkwardly apart, note the two people saluting, their feet don't even MATCH what the other person is doing!  One even has his feet together! (To simplify it, let's just say your heels should be together and the toes point outward. .)  Another example of poor QA.   Here's the graphics on what that SHOULD be. Note the feet under "method 2."
    Signed,
    Ex-Army Captain Cathie

Those might be non-American salutes. Like British for example.

edited December 2019

Nope. That article will show you British (and I already knew it.)  They really do it different, with the hand flipped backward and palm out. The ones in the store have the hand facing correctly but the fingers go up into the forehead! (And the arm is still all wonky.)  If you read the description it says they are fictional, but they should NOT be labeled as Army poses if that is the case. Say military, or fictional military.

Post edited by Novica on

Heads up if you have any wishlisted items at Renderosity, as there's a 24 hour 50% off wishlist sale again.

That's too funny. I was typing my post about WildDesigns clothing having Rendo materials when you were typing yours about the Rendo sale! Very good timing. I really like WildDesigns clothes.

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

Yep, and here I am thinking about picking up https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-winter-frolic-for-genesis-8-females in today's sale smiley

• A plug for 3djoji 's work.  His Coastguard Cutter is excellent and seriously cheap now.  The Marmara Boat went right into the basket.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,050

Anyone thinking of getting Bryce, or have just bought it, there is a load of Bryce stuff for sale on David Brinnen's page.

https://www.daz3d.com/december-30-pa-items#&filter_vendor=David Brinnen&filtered=1

• Novica said:

These Army poses are not Army poses at in regards to the salutes. You do NOT SALUTE THAT WAY IN THE ARMY. Your fingertips TOUCH YOUR BROW and do not shoot way up your forehead.  Your arm goes perpendicular to your shoulder, your arm does NOT swing forward in front of you. These are absolutely horrible.  You do not stand with your feet awkwardly apart, note the two people saluting, their feet don't even MATCH what the other person is doing!  One even has his feet together! (To simplify it, let's just say your heels should be together and the toes point outward. .)    Here's the graphics on what that SHOULD be. Note the feet under "method 2."

Edit- If these aren't Army poses, they shouldn't be labeled as such. See the post several posts down. They are FICTIONAL MILITARY POSES at best, and lax feet placement even at that. The description says they are not representational, aka fictional, so don't label them ARMY. 
    Signed,
    Ex-Army Captain Cathie

Not only is the upper arm position wrong, but the index and middle fingers of the right hand should be touching just above the corner of right brow. On top of that, but the "At Ease" pose the hands are not clasped properly. you don't grab your wrist when standing at ease. your hands are supposed to cross over one another at the small of the back. 

(US Army Desert Storm veteran). 

• I wanted to revisit my complaints about Riversoft's utlities. 

I think, on further reflection - my complaint is that they're not as fire-and-forget easy to set up and execute and get satisfactory results as Zev0's stuff and Gen X. 

You've got to read the instructions - and then you've got to really play with the settings and figure out the best way to get the best results, on a product by product conversion basis. This is probably where my disappointment comes from - I've been spoiled by previous conversion utilities - and the item pages from Riversoft's conversion utilities make them sound like one button-click, batch conversion solutions - and I feel like they frequently fail that way. 

The D-Force magnents utility works well, once you put the time into following the tutorials and really learning the quirks of how they work - but they can cause a lot of crashes back to Windows, too. The clothing converters, I've had pretty poor results with - but I am assuming if I spent some time converting one by one and really tweaking the settings, I'd get good results with those too. Similar results with the hair. Autofit seems to give me better results in both cases, for minimal effort. 

I'd like to compare Zev0's character/morph conversion from G3 to G8... and I am inclined to think that as one package that works with both male and female - it probably has an edge on Riversoft's offerings. 

@donovancolbert   Thanks for the honest review. I haven't tried conversions in a long time, and don't think I've ever gotten to Riversofts but I own them. 

BTW for those of you who got 81% off early this morning, it was indeed only supposed to be 79%. Some items were getting a 10% Daz Original discount that they weren't supposed to, if I understand correctly. I did one cart with the 81% then went back 10 minutes later and it was 79% as I decided to pick up a few more things, but FINALLY this sale glitched in my favor. (Big whoopee though- 10% instead of prices in that other section going to $2.09 or $1.67)   But at least Daz continues to putz around with it. I'm SO glad I'm not them. 

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948

Have you ever purchased a product that makes you feel absolutely stupid while sitting and trying to figure out how to use it?  I don't shy away from manuals or tutorial videos to learn.  Perhaps I am still too much a newb with DS! I picked up both Map Master Pro and Thumbnail Mastery and have sat at my computer clueless as to what I am doing wrong to receive no results when using them.  If you are experienced with either and care to share baby step introduction, please feel free to message me.  blush

• Novica said:

@donovancolbert   Thanks for the honest review. I haven't tried conversions in a long time, and don't think I've ever gotten to Riversofts but I own them. 

BTW for those of you who got 81% off early this morning, it was indeed only supposed to be 79%. Some items were getting a 10% Daz Original discount that they weren't supposed to, if I understand correctly. I did one cart with the 81% then went back 10 minutes later and it was 79% as I decided to pick up a few more things, but FINALLY this sale glitched in my favor. (Big whoopee though- 10% instead of prices in that other section going to $2.09 or $1.67)   But at least Daz continues to putz around with it. I'm SO glad I'm not them. 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,303

I'd like to compare Zev0's character/morph conversion from G3 to G8... and I am inclined to think that as one package that works with both male and female - it probably has an edge on Riversoft's offerings. 

I had some initial trouble with Zev0’s XTransfer, but now that it’s working, it works so well that I’m not remotely tempted by Riversoft’s equivalent. 

gitika1 said:

Have you ever purchased a product that makes you feel absolutely stupid while sitting and trying to figure out how to use it?  I don't shy away from manuals or tutorial videos to learn.  Perhaps I am still too much a newb with DS! I picked up both Map Master Pro and Thumbnail Mastery and have sat at my computer clueless as to what I am doing wrong to receive no results when using them.  If you are experienced with either and care to share baby step introduction, please feel free to message me.  blush

Actually, if someone wants to post a tutorial, we'd love to have it here. I haven't tackled either of those yet, but from past experience I know it's NOT just you LOL. cheeky

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,288
    Novica said:
    gitika1 said:

Actually, if someone wants to post a tutorial, we'd love to have it here. I haven't tackled either of those yet, but from past experience I know it's NOT just you LOL. cheeky

http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/read_me/index/20504/20504_thumbnail-mastery.pdf

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,810
    gitika1 said:

Have you ever purchased a product that makes you feel absolutely stupid while sitting and trying to figure out how to use it? 

Man, I've spent maybe an hour with GenX... closed it again and walked away. I'll give it another go some other time. cool

Hylas said:
    gitika1 said:

Have you ever purchased a product that makes you feel absolutely stupid while sitting and trying to figure out how to use it? 

Man, I've spent maybe an hour with GenX... closed it again and walked away. I'll give it another go some other time. cool

You do know I did a tutorial on that one? It's linked from the first page of the thread and should be under the tutorials. 

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,810
    Novica said:
    Hylas said:
    gitika1 said:

You do know I did a tutorial on that one? It's linked from the first page of the thread and should be under the tutorials. 

I'll check it out! yes

edited December 2019

Aakash HD (Kala 8)  
    I'd featured her before, her mouth is easy to pose and fluid. The lips are a bit too smooth, I'd increase the bump. (See closeup, render 3.) 

Rachel Hair (G3F / G8F) 
    Very thick, does well with crowns, circlets, etc going into hair. Note the lone messy strands on the sides near the top. Very realistic.

Desert Watcher Outfit (G8F)  
    Got this on a deep discount sale.  I don't care for the front swinging piece, it just seems something to get in the way and no functionality to it. Obviously this is just a fantasy outfit. It has several sections so it bends, but it's done in pretty big chunks, not tiny bends.

The painted orange and yellow on the chest piece is a different approach, it strikes me as a rubber piece that has the feathers/ design painted on it. It does give a contrast to the neck piece which is textured. For the cape, here's a tip- there are adjustments as usual in Parameters, but check out Scene also. I showed the cape from behind just to show you how it looks if you want it smooth and outward. I used both Scene and Parameters. The Scene bones will be labeled Cape 1, 2, 3 (or something similar.) 

Aakash Desert W 1.png
    510 x 693 - 325K
    Aakash Desert W 2.png
    573 x 700 - 380K
    Aakash Desert W 3.png
    573 x 700 - 581K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 2019

Can someone answer this question that was asked at 4:20 am this morning?  I know how frustrating it is to get stuck. It's regarding saving weight maps and I haven't a clue or I'd help

Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,568

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that. I'm not sure what can be saved with dforce, I'm afraid. 

This discussion has been closed.