Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 12

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,861

@robertfriese   YES!!!!!  Someone else is more insane than I am. I knew they had to be out there..... (Actually I remember you stating awhile ago you were over 20,000, as was I.)  I know what you mean about finding anything. You really should take a look at Taoz's product that gives you a catalog with images. @taoz would you like to discuss that for my thread surfers?  

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,825
    edited December 2019

Rabbicus dropped in to wish happy holidays to all. Thanks to @novica and all the contributors to this thread, you've provided lots of good advice over the year.

Happy Holidays Rabbicus 2019.png
    1000 x 667 - 1M
    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • So, I just wanted to see if anyone else shares this experience. I've bought quite a few of the RSSY conversion tools for hair, clothes and morphs - and overall I've been very disappointed with them. Using the legacy auto-follow auto-fit tools I've had better luck going all the way from V4/M4 to G8 (sometimes having to step through from V4 to G1, to G3, to G8, for example) than with the conversion tools. The M4/V4 conversion tools really don't work well as a batch change either - you've got to find the particular item and convert it by itself - it is especially painful if you have a large library of legacy items, like I do. 

The finished conversions do not work well in my experience, especially with any extreme morphs or shapes. Auto-follow with clone fits work far better. I almost wish there were an option just to convert the icons and associate them with the newer figures, without doing any actual conversion - because THAT is a nice convenience of the RSSY tools. 

But Valzheimer and Zev0's utilities give far better results when trying to use legacy content with newer figures in my experience. I waited until the RSSY tools were all on extreme discount - so I've kept them all rather than requesting a return - but these products feel a lot more like Headshop versus FaceGen Pro in terms of finish, quality and delivering what they claim to. 

I hate to be so critical of a PA - and maybe if you're dealing mostly with figures that don't deviate much from their "out of the box" default configurations it could be a great solution - but for me, the RSSY conversion utilities have all been largely a bust. 

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited December 2019

The only ones of that series I own are the G8 to G3 and G2 to G3 ones. The G2 to G3 ones are a mild improvement for some things (The breastplate for Courageous Warrior turned out better run through the RSSY tool than through Valzheimer's tool), about the same for others. Valzheimer's Wear Them All handles pants better than the RSSY G2M to G3M tool, IMO. G8 to G3 ones are a significant timesaving for me...when they work. Floyd Pro Bundle was a good example: I had a bunch of fairly useful, generic male clothes that batch converted easily, and then I had the wizard outfit, which I took more trouble over both because I was expecting to need it more and because things like the hat were not going to cooperate.

In terms of recent purchases, I am in love with Alyssa PonyTail, even though my computer is not overly fond of it: I've crashed DS at least once messing with an Iray preview render that included this hair. The peekaboo part in the front just adds so much personality to any female character, and there are a number of  useful morphs included. Also looking forward to playing with Dforce GIS Commander when time permits.

Post edited by Odaa on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,303
    Odaa said:

In terms of recent purchases, I am in love with Alyssa PonyTail

I haven’t picked that one up yet, but I’ve been buying a ton of Neftis hairs, and they’re becoming my go-to hairs.

• cismiccismic Posts: 629
    RGcincy said:

Rabbicus dropped in to wish happy holidays to all. Thanks to @novica and all the contributors to this thread, you've provided lots of good advice over the year.

Merry Christmas. I agree lots of information in this thread is one that I latched onto my first year with DAZ over two years ago, well almost 3 now. ????. 

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    Daventaki said:

Ok so after testing it seems to be when you use expressions on her that the eye poke through happens.  I had better luck using dials to add expression but you have to watch how far you dial.  Or resizing the eye balls will fix it also.  Softened the back Right rim light to remove some of the graininess on the right side of the hair.  Used a hair preset which I didnt realize was there in my earlier image and used the purple makeup for this.

Dont really care for her eyelashes. To me they stick nearly straight out.  Overall though I really like her, I don't have many girls that have an Asian look.

Did you try adjusting the rigging to shape? That should fix the eyes.

RGcincy said:

Aw, made my day!.....week......year!   Adore Rabbicus! (For new folks, that's Rabbit + Cactus and it started several years ago due to a comment between Rich and I. Rabbicus has done many wonderful things throughout the years.)  

• genarisgenaris Posts: 313

Does anyone have any ideas about why the "holiday Countdown $2.99 category items don't work correctly in my cart somedays, but do work other days?  I bought one of these items a couple days ago, but day before that, none of those items would discount, with or without new items in the cart.  Again, today, though I have not purchased *anything* yet  in this daz day, items from this group stay at their marked price, not the $2.99, regardless of whether I throw a New Release in cart or not, and I thought the "Night-b4" coupon might be the culprit, so I tested the cart with coupon removed and still, those items stayed at their marked prices instead of discounting. I had nothing in cart but 2 NRs and the "Countdown" items (I tried, 1 item, and 3 items, none worked, tho with the 2 NRs, it should work for up to 5 "countdown" items.).   I tried on my phone, and another computer, same result, so it doesn't seem to be my particular PC or browser.
       ~Gen

• Same thing has been happening to me. I call these "Days DAZ does not want my money Days." :)

• In terms of recent purchases, I am in love with Alyssa PonyTail, even though my computer is not overly fond of it: I've crashed DS at least once messing with an Iray preview render that included this hair. The peekaboo part in the front just adds so much personality to any female character, and there are a number of  useful morphs included. Also looking forward to playing with Dforce GIS Commander when time permits.

Love it when I go to check out a link and find I've already bought the item. I'll have to try that out soon. :D 

• genarisgenaris Posts: 313

Same thing has been happening to me. I call these "Days DAZ does not want my money Days." :)

LOL. +1

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Same thing has been happening to me. I call these "Days DAZ does not want my money Days." :)

Maybe they don't want your money, but they obviously wanted mine! Everything worked as advertised for me. (I'm not really sure that was good thing…!)

I am looking forward to putting the Auto Face Enhancer G8M bundle through it's paces though. (And I broke down and got the Mesh Grabber, too!)

None of the 2.99 deals are working for me, I've been posting on the Sales thread in Commons and suggested it was a regional thing, so we've been comparing regions and that doesn't appear to be it either. Some folks in Germany it works for, others it doesn't. Some in FLorida it does, me it doesn't. And it's worked fine all the other days. So I dumped five things in the cart.

I AM going to sign out before the store turns over, because if it's a cached problem, or some problem that will be a residual, I don't want to be signed in. It's worth a shot. Perhaps try that and see if you get a working sale. There's nothing else we can try on our end.  :( 

Michael 6 Starter Bundle is in the freebies, in case anyone hasn't got him. 

edited December 2019

This is as low as I could get it to go. Had 3 add-ons or more. Anyone else getting a lower price than 31.25? And of course the 2.99 isn't working. I quit on that, I'm not having Daz ruin my Christmas with the frustration of trying to shop anymore today.  Go spend it with your family and friends- Happy Holidays / Merry Christmas!  It's 60 degrees here in Pensacola at 4:10am, and going to be 70 today and sunny! 

Post edited by Novica on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,810
    genaris said:

Does anyone have any ideas about why the "holiday Countdown $2.99 category items don't work correctly in my cart somedays, but do work other days? 

Just buy the item at whatever price it's giving you and document everything really well with screenshots. Issue a support ticket, and they will refund you the difference.

edited December 2019

Folks, suddenly the 2.99 is working for me as long as I DON'T add a new release. I know that limits you to five (or whatever) but at least you may be able to scoop up some of the 2.99  (They only went 2.99 but hey, it's better than nothing.) 

Post edited by Novica on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,802

Happy Christmas All,

Novica, I have the same price as you for the Pro Bundle. But what shocked me was the 100% off of the HD Add-on. I went back and 'carefully' read the small print. Found other free items and the only Gen 8 Pro Bundle I had not purchased, the Genesis 8 Centaur Pro Bundle, so caved and got it for free. But then there all the other catagories... I think I am making some PAs very happy today. And I remembered at the last minute the PC+ items to add in. Took all four, plus the weekly freebie. 

And Denver is currently in the 20/30s, with 50s for the day forecasted. Snow in the Rockies for the skiers. I think it will be a great day for folks to be out and doing things with their families.

Mary

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,956
    edited December 2019

So, I just wanted to see if anyone else shares this experience. I've bought quite a few of the RSSY conversion tools for hair, clothes and morphs - and overall I've been very disappointed with them. Using the legacy auto-follow auto-fit tools I've had better luck going all the way from V4/M4 to G8 (sometimes having to step through from V4 to G1, to G3, to G8, for example) than with the conversion tools. The M4/V4 conversion tools really don't work well as a batch change either - you've got to find the particular item and convert it by itself - it is especially painful if you have a large library of legacy items, like I do. 

The finished conversions do not work well in my experience, especially with any extreme morphs or shapes. Auto-follow with clone fits work far better. I almost wish there were an option just to convert the icons and associate them with the newer figures, without doing any actual conversion - because THAT is a nice convenience of the RSSY tools. 

But Valzheimer and Zev0's utilities give far better results when trying to use legacy content with newer figures in my experience. I waited until the RSSY tools were all on extreme discount - so I've kept them all rather than requesting a return - but these products feel a lot more like Headshop versus FaceGen Pro in terms of finish, quality and delivering what they claim to. 

I hate to be so critical of a PA - and maybe if you're dealing mostly with figures that don't deviate much from their "out of the box" default configurations it could be a great solution - but for me, the RSSY conversion utilities have all been largely a bust. 

It's why I didn't buy those products. DAZ 3D should program ways to adapt and adjust their old human model content to newer figures in DAZ Studio and they do if you make an effort on an as-needed basis. 

What I really need is to sit down and smart content catalogue my content so that I can be reminded that I even have it. Building 512x512 or 1024x1024 product preset thumbnails would be useful too.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Novica said:

This is as low as I could get it to go. Had 3 add-ons or more. Anyone else getting a lower price than 31.25? And of course the 2.99 isn't working. I quit on that, I'm not having Daz ruin my Christmas with the frustration of trying to shop anymore today.  Go spend it with your family and friends- Happy Holidays / Merry Christmas!  It's 60 degrees here in Pensacola at 4:10am, and going to be 70 today and sunny! 

The $31.25 sounds right, for PC+ members, with a 30% Loyalty Discount.

Remember, if you buy 3 Debut New releases, there is an additional 25% off. If you put the Tristan 8 Pro bundle in your cart along with the HD Addon, (which will be free because of the Pro bundle,) and one other Debut New release, you've met that criteria.

You can also determine the total for your cart, bookmark those products and clear the cart, and then purchase a gift card for the amount of your cart, (or higher, of course,) at 30% off. Then rebuild your cart from your bookmarks and use that discounted credit to pay for it. That would bring the actual cost of the Tristan 8 Pro bundle down to $21.88. (Not to mention the savings on the rest of the items in your cart.)

If your Loyalty Discount isn't 30% (or more. I think I read the highest was 35%, but I haven't seen anyone actually mention they got one that high,) getting the discounted Gift Card first will be a big help in stretching your budget.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,177

Mmm, I'm not that mad on the Tristan 8 Pro Bundle contents, but hey at that price ($31.25 + cheapest add-on making $34.71) for two Pro Bundles (Tristan and a free one) then it's kind of hard to resist. And I like to support the male bundles when I can.

A belated "Merry Christmas" to everyone - I've finally got online after spending most of the day with hubby and it's 10:15 pm here.

edited December 2019

@melaniel  Merry Christmas to you too. It's 5:40pm here and I just got back from seeing Mom. At 92, I treasure each Christmas with her. She's had SIXTY THREE of them with me, and that's just an awesome thought. So that made me thiink- everyone, what are some of the toys you remember from an early age?  Here's mine-

Chatty Cathy doll 

Barbie (original type, very voluptuous, red hair. That black and white swimsuit!)  Ken, and Midge (blonde)

A dollhouse we kept forever it seemed. We just couldn't give it away. I still had it in my high school years, down in the basement (a nice basement, we roller skated down there. It was like a skating rink)

So of course, roller skates, a skating skirt (oh yeah!) and a skating case. We went every weekend and I eventually became a floor guard in my teen years

Hard plastic face dolls, back then it was neat when they actually had eyes that opened and closed

A red firetruck that you could sit in and pedal. My sister (or I) would ride in the back that was more like a flatbed in a truck (again, in the basement.) 

A ping pong table

A Magic 8 Ball

Slinkie

Booby Trap, Twister, King of the Hill board games. Does anyone remember Union Hill? There were magnetic wands and the people had magnets on their feet so you used the wand under the "city" to move them around. We used to play tag going in and out of the buildings (no roofs so you could see inside the rooms.)

A Basketball Game pulling levers and shooting through the hoops.

A Music Box with yep, that twirling ballerina. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,802

@Novica

I have 4 years on you and remember a doll that was 3 feet tall, black hair. Later an original Barbie, black ponytail, while my older sister had the blond. Little sister had Midge, my brother had Ken. 

Although my brother got Lincoln Logs and the original Lego (red and white) brick sets, I was the one that played with them the most. Designed houses.

I had a Barbie Modeling Salon. Made a lot of clothes for her.

Favorite gifts were books, art supplies, or just pads of paper and crayons, and I am not sure when I discovered graph paper, but that and a pencil, and I could draw house designs!

But one Christmas went to the Vet. to save our cat's life, when he got out of the house and had his neck chewed up pretty bad. Best gift, saving Rubarb.

Mary

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,288

@Novica

I have 4 years on you and remember a doll that was 3 feet tall, black hair. Later an original Barbie, black ponytail, while my older sister had the blond. Little sister had Midge, my brother had Ken. 

Although my brother got Lincoln Logs and the original Lego (red and white) brick sets, I was the one that played with them the most. Designed houses.

I had a Barbie Modeling Salon. Made a lot of clothes for her.

Favorite gifts were books, art supplies, or just pads of paper and crayons, and I am not sure when I discovered graph paper, but that and a pencil, and I could draw house designs!

But one Christmas went to the Vet. to save our cat's life, when he got out of the house and had his neck chewed up pretty bad. Best gift, saving Rubarb.

Mary

I had that 3 foot tall doll with the long dark hair, too. I also had the original Barbie with the black pony tail. (I still have her, but she is pretty worn from years of play.) My brother had an erector set. My sister had a Tiny Tears baby doll.

Ah, the LIncoln Logs reminded me of Tinker Toys, those spokes that you could put the sticks in. And oh yes, those Legos. Fun to step on when barefoot...

• I had Lincoln Logs, Erector set, Tinker Toys, and a Girder and Panel Bridge building set

Mary

Rubarb- how adorable! Would love to hear the story behind that name. :)

BTW, I just tested it and you can do the 30% gift card repeatedly, not just once. But only once in the cart. At least that's how it's working for me.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,825

Fun question. Early toys I remember:​

• A polar ice breaker that rolled on wheels. It had a tiny harpoon and polar bear. My mom found me alone in the kitchen at my 5th birthday party (1956) playing with it.
    • A metal red fire truck with rubber hoses. You could hook the truck to a regular hose and spray out water. I still have it but it's in terrible shape as my youngest brother played with it way too hard. 
    • My dad's parents had a set of red building blocks. They predated legos with a size in between legos and duplo blocks. I always wished I had those at home. We did have Lincoln logs, a small erector set, and some tinker toys.
    • Panel and girder building set. Fun but it was way too easy to break off the tiny protrusions to which the panels attached. Later I got the hydraulic set which may be why I became a chemical engineer. It had various tanks, valves, tubing and a pump and you could build various chemical plants pumping water around in different configurations. .A few years ago I found on the internet that some guys who had one when they were kids had gotten the rights and reintroduced it, so I have one for my grandkids.
    • A rotary printer with rubber type. Still have this. I started a printing business and later in college bought a real letterpress and lead type (that I still have) and ran a business from my dorm room.

@rcgincy  WOW, you were technical / mechanical even as a kid! 

I did remember a few more things. Those cheapie cowboy and Indians with the round circular base (about 1.5-2" tall) so they could stand up, and also plastic dinosaurs.

Hand puppets that were gloves. My fav was the ladybug. You put your hand in the glove and on the backside was a pin-cushion shaped thing, painted red with black dots like a ladybug. Hand puppets were a big thing back in the late 50's / early 60's. 

This discussion has been closed.