Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 12

Comments

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,459

Thank you, Novica, that sounds right, the $2.09. I think it was Taoz who said he got $2.10, which with Daz rounding... The lower price was bundled with Tristan.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,767

Thank you, Novica, that sounds right, the $2.09. I think it was Taoz who said he got $2.10, which with Daz rounding... The lower price was bundled with Tristan.

Actually I've had both some at $2.09 and some at $2.10 in the same cart.  But such irregularities are common.

• genarisgenaris Posts: 313

Not sure how many more days Daz will have the $2.99 deal category (though it'll probably come back yet again under some name :) but I think I'm getting to root of the mystery of why it works sometimes for some people and not others!   The deal is ONCE per customer, per day.   Normally, a Daz day begins at midnight (UTAH time) which for me is 2 AM, and runs through 1159PM (Utah time) which for me is 159 AM.   I successfully bought a couple of the $2.99 items on daz-wednesday but later on in the early thursday morning I did a quick browse through the new day's deal and included a couple more $2.99 items and other things, BUT THEY WOULDN"T DISCOUNT, even though it was a NEW DAZ DAY in which I had not yet made a purchase.  I realized then that perhaps my wednesday purchase  including $2.99 items, was making me ineligible, though it was a new DAZ-day now.  I checked to see WHEN on wednesday  I checked out and it was about 130am (MY TIME)  meaning... it was technically already THURSDAY (not wednesday) in my east coast time zone, but still WEDNESDAY in Daz-time.  So I was shopping in limbo time and apparently, the way the deal is coded to limit people to using it once a day is working on a day that is different from the Daz-day (Utah time) the site works on otherwise.  So, I have rechecked my test cart randomly through the day today and it was not dicounting the $2.99 items, until now when I checked-- after MIDNITE (1215 am in my east-coast time) while it is still only 1015 pm in the Daz-Day (Utah time).  So it's looking like if you shop in limbo time between YOUR MIDNIGHT and Daz-Day Midnite and get any  ONCE-A-DAY $2.99 items, you probably won't be able to get them to price correctly if you buy some the next day, until you've gone past YOUR midnight not Daz's. 

~Gen

• genarisgenaris Posts: 313

Memorable toys?  Hm, a model of the Seaview submarine, a spaceship model kit called the "Leif Ericsson" that had bay doors that opened to hold a little shuttle ship.  Later in the sixties when I was like 10 or 12-ish maybe, Zeroids robots with eletric motors driving their treads, and Amaze-amatic (sp?) battery-powered cars-- including one that was very sleekly futuristic looking-- that came with carboardy ticket-card things that you cut out along the edges to determine what the car would do: go left, right, straight, etc) as the card fed lengthwise though the chassis.   Yes, I was a sci-fi geeky kid pretty much from go.    I was born only a few months after the space race began (with Sputnik) after all, so how could I not be?! That's my rationale and I'm sticking with it.  LOL :)

SILLY PUTTY! who didn't peel it off the funny papers to show the image transfers?! I still can remember the smell of that stuff... not bad, just distinctive.
      ~Gen

• NathNath Posts: 2,735
    Novica said:

LOL I remember the Etch A Sketch and Silly Putty. We used to love lifting newspaper print onto the putty (press the putty into the paper and you got the print onto the putty.)  We thought we were SO clever. That reminded me of Silly String but that came later in life, when we were too old to buy it but too silly not to. Man, that's hard to get out of your hair!  Oh, and yes, the fart cushions. I'm laughing right now thinking of when my uncle (so distinguished of course) sat on it. Even he had to laugh! 

@nath  She does look really nice, her features are really featured with that lighting. 

Thanks all! The lighting is Zen Moods (Rendo)

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052
    edited December 2019
    Novica said:

Didn't someone post 1.67 over in the sales thread? As @barbult so rightly said, this sale is so convoluted (found several different spellings, interesting)  who knows what applies to what. 

I just got them at 2.99 in the wee hours of the morning and checked out quickly before it went nutso. I only got two things so it wasn't a big deal to wait for $2.09 which is what I was getting with the 30% loyalty on MOST days. Sigh.

That would be me, but what I also said was the price of my cart was fluctuating by a couple of hundred dollars almost every time I put something in it, so when I had a price that looked like great value I checked out immediately, and missed out on several freebies that were available for the Tristian 8 Pro bundle, such as the HD morph. I won't bother chasing up the freebies I missed, because Customer Support looks like it will be fixing orders from now until NEXT Christmas.

cart.jpg
    858 x 788 - 168K
    Post edited by frankrblow on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,861

That would be me .......I won't bother chasing up the freebies I missed, because Customer Support looks like it will be fixing orders from now until NEXT Christmas.

LOL and you AREN'T kidding!  Can you imagine working in sales support right now????!!!!! Ugh. They need to hire about 500 people.... 

And hey everyone, did you notice GypsyAngel's new character Cira released today? The gold AND silver options are really nice. It's so good to have both! 

edited December 2019

Going to do a new format :)  Instead of all products listed across the top, I'm going to do them vertically with each product a distinct section. There won't always be comments for them, and if so, those will go across the top as usual.  The character, hair, outfit will always come first, then the set / everything else. I may or may not list poses as I tweak them so much I don't want to promote something that is changed so much. 

Myriel for Teen Raven 8
    Has some nice eye colors (love the light gray) and the eyebrows are not lawn mowered. They're a tad asymmetrical with a couple stray hairs on one side. The eye shadow is a bit too dramatic for me overall, there needs to be a few more softer options. You can NOT tell the eye shadow very well from the thumbnails. VENDORS- scoot back from the eye enough so we can tell what the eye makeup does! 

The lip has good lines for detail, and the blush options are there (both peach and rosey.)  There are several brow color options. 

All That Gitters Outfit (G8F) 
    It is in the Zelara 8 Pro Bundle, and the back cowl is easy to simulate. (Just use the default settings.) It easily separated away from the arm. 

Evelyn Hair (G3F / G8F) 
    Has a lot of adjusts, and a lot of movements. You get different options for the tie (not shown) and it's an AprilYSH hair so you know you can do a lot of things with it. I like it when you can adjust the crown, hairline, and hairline height. This was out of the box. There are many colors too. 

Bellissimo Corridoio
    Wow. The lighting that comes with this is really nice. And note it's a Daz Original so wait until it's on sale then nab it with your PC+ code to get $6 off. I'm showing you the out of the box lighting, with the ISO as usual at 135 and the Exposure at 13.45. You can lighten it up just like the promos. If you want to test the lighting, try rotating Y Orientation to about 270. (I haven't tried that yet, but it's my go-to for starting with changing up lighting.) 

Bali Jewelry (Gen8F) 
    Love this set. It has different colors for the jewelry, so if you need gold, bronze, silver- you've got it. In addition, two VERY handy options for movement with the necklace. Not only can you move it out over clothing (which means the entire thing) you can opt just to "raise pendant" so only that gets lifted! A very thoughtful setup by the vendor. In addition, these are offered as PROPS, meaning they load at ground zero. Handy for placing in a scene or a store. 

IG Sweet And Sassy Pose Collection Vol 2  (G8F) 
    Read what you get with it- 420 poses, and expressions.  I took expression 02 then squeezed the brows a bit, pulled the inner left brow down, and opened the mouth a tad more. These expressions give you a great starting point.The ones I tested were very fluid looking, not plastic face.

CDI Poses for Leisa 8 / G8F
    CDI is Capsces Digital Ink. This came with the Leisa 8 Pro Bundle. Most, I wouldn't use as they are. However, there are some decent ones for leaning against things (and a variety for doing that.)  I took one of the poses, simply bent the arm and lifted the hand so she appeared to be saying, "Wait a minute"  or "Hold on, let's think about this first."  Again, these give a good starting point and are easy to tweak. I do appreciate that CDI didn't just give us some barely-different poses from each other. The variety is very good. 

Myriel Cowl Black Dress Eveylyn Hr.png
    600 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 2019

Myriel for Teen Raven 8       Evelyn Hair (G3F / G8F)         Bali Jewelry (Gen8F) 

Okay, so here's the same pose for the face, with different lights. I used the Pro-Studio HDR  and one Click N Render.IBL

Pro-Studio 1L (below) 

Pro-Studio 3R  (below)

Pro-Studio 8L (below)

Pro-Studio 10R  (below)

Pro-Studio 13R (below)

Click N Render 4  (below)

Click N Render 8   (below)  

Click N Render  14 (below)

Click N Render 17  (below)

Click N Render 23  (below)

Myriel ProStudio 1L.png
    600 x 900 - 855K
    Myriel ProStudio 3R.png
    600 x 900 - 880K
    Myriel ProStudio 8L.png
    600 x 900 - 873K
    Myriel ProStudio 10R.png
    600 x 900 - 902K
    Myriel ProStudio 13R.png
    600 x 900 - 890K
    Myriel ProStudio Click N Render 4.png
    600 x 900 - 931K
    Myriel ProStudio Click N Render 8.png
    600 x 900 - 858K
    Myriel ProStudio Click N Render 14.png
    600 x 900 - 893K
    Myriel ProStudio Click N Render 17.png
    600 x 900 - 893K
    Myriel ProStudio Click N Render 23.png
    600 x 900 - 865K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,961

I guess I should be embarrassed to admit it but when I was about 11 and we lived in Jacksonville, Florida I remember buying myself as a present a Pet Rock at the hefty price of a $1. A $1 was a huge deal back then, more than most tropical fish cost then.

It was really a deep grey granite river rock, very pretty, that had been worn smooth over the millions of years and it came in one of those small thin paper boxes the pet stores used to put pets like mice in when you bought them at the store. I'm trying to remember the name of the department store I bought it at. It wasn't K-Mart but it was a similar style discount store and if I remember the lettering on the store saying it's name was orange in color (although it was long before the likes of Big Lots as this was the mid 70s).

Hmmm, on second thought, given my lack of success at being a pet care giver with prior pets at that age that pet rock makes me look like a budding Albert Schweitzer or Mother Teresa. laugh

I absolutely loved my Pet Rock. I followed the directions, put it beside my foot then said "Heel."  It was well behaved and did as it was told.
    (I hear groans from all over the world...) 

Novica said:

I absolutely loved my Pet Rock. I followed the directions, put it beside my foot then said "Heel."  It was well behaved and did as it was told.
    (I hear groans from all over the world...) 

LOL, so I wasn't the only one! laugh

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

I never owned a Pet Rock. However, the guy who came up with the idea was from the area I lived in at the time. He took his profits and built a bar in Los Gatos CA, called Carrie Nation's. I went there once, but I think he'd sold it by that time.

Seems like it wasn't too long after that when a co-worker brought his new PET computer to work…

I got one of those "Time Bomb" toys for Chirstmas one year. You'd turn the top to set the timer and then toss it around a group of people until it "exploded" … And just for the heck of it… my first Barbie Doll cost something like $1.98! (Which wasn't cheap, for you young whippersnappers reading this. lol)

L'Adair said:

I never owned a Pet Rock. However, the guy who came up with the idea was from the area I lived in at the time. He took his profits and built a bar in Los Gatos CA, called Carrie Nation's. I went there once, but I think he'd sold it by that time.

Seems like it wasn't too long after that when a co-worker brought his new PET computer to work…

I got one of those "Time Bomb" toys for Chirstmas one year. You'd turn the top to set the timer and then toss it around a group of people until it "exploded" … And just for the heck of it… my first Barbie Doll cost something like $1.98! (Which wasn't cheap, for you young whippersnappers reading this. lol)

I remember that time bomb game too and I think they also made a hot potato variant to the toy.

• Nath said:

One of the many things I picked up along with Tristan 8 is Ellithia - and I'm well impressed... She's stunning.

She reminds me of the late British actress Jean Simmons (not to be confused with the KISS performer).

Nath said:

One of the many things I picked up along with Tristan 8 is Ellithia - and I'm well impressed... She's stunning.

She reminds me of the late British actress Jean Simmons (not to be confused with the KISS performer).

One could do worse than that classic type of look :-)

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,815
    edited December 2019

Great render, @Nath! Ellithia is one of those characters that I didn't really understand when she was first released, but now she's on my wishlist and I can't wait to snatch her next time there's a good deal on her!

Post edited by Hylas on
    Hylas said:

Great render, @Nath! Ellithia is one of those characters that I didn't get at all when she was first released, but now she's on my wishlist and I can't wait to snatch her next time there's a good deal on her!

I only got her with Tristan as well (and the Elios Pro bundle, but I haven't even had time to render him yet)

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,459
    Hylas said:

Great render, @Nath! Ellithia is one of those characters that I didn't get at all when she was first released, but now she's on my wishlist and I can't wait to snatch her next time there's a good deal on her!

+1

• RainRain Posts: 335
    Taoz said:
    Novica said:

If you want some really well made no-tube-look G8 male clothes, try these (they're only $3.06 in my cart):

https://www.daz3d.com/casual-outfits-for-genesis-8-males

Oskarsson is always making high quality products, I have a lot of them.

Thanks for that!  Those look like real clothes and nicely done.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,826
    Hylas said:

+2

@trampgraphics   I thought so too (Jean Simmons)  And that pose really brings it home. 

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,826
    Novica said:

Okay, here's the link to the Because I Said So! contest. I went a different route with a fun idea. You know when you have enthusiasm and you may not get the results you desired, or you did and you were the only one to appreciate it? Here's the link. 

You are a glutton for punishment. Hope there are lots of entries this round.

Okay, I finished doing Myriel with the different lights. Go back up to this post.  I wanted to compare the Pro-Studio and Click N Render. (Not all of them, by a long shot. There were some thumbnails which looked about the same in the two sets so I was just checking them out, then curious about a few others in the set. 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,845

@Novica, Looking at the pictures, especially at the smaller ones where they line up, it seems that the first and last one are the closest in results. The others are interesting, and why I often go through an hour trying to find the best lighting for a 'simple' character and outfit. Color, direction, and intensity have so much impact. And I always seem to add in Painter's Lights by j.cade. Such a pity they were withdrawn from the store. 

• Today I'm finding I can get the $2.99 discount - with no loyalty discount applied - if I put anything new in the cart, the price on $2.99 items changes to full retail with no discount. 

Bah. 

• Today I'm finding I can get the $2.99 discount - with no loyalty discount applied - if I put anything new in the cart, the price on $2.99 items changes to full retail with no discount. 

Bah. 

And I'm just the opposite. Today for a change the sale actually works for me and adding a new item actually reduces the price by 20% to $2.09

And today it doesn't work for me at all. 
    I really, really dislike that DAZ appears to be using us a guinea pigs to test what works and what doesn't. They should have just implemented a code that would work for that 2.99 module. (Magento is done with modules, which are sections.) That's what has people really irked- continuing with something for days (week? weeks?)  when you know it isn't working, and refusing to use the simple solution you KNOW works. (at least for what, 90% of the time.) 

• Novica said:

And today it doesn't work for me at all. 
    I really, really dislike that DAZ appears to be using us a guinea pigs to test what works and what doesn't. They should have just implemented a code that would work for that 2.99 module. (Magento is done with modules, which are sections.) That's what has people really irked- continuing with something for days (week? weeks?)  when you know it isn't working, and refusing to use the simple solution you KNOW works. (at least for what, 90% of the time.) 

It isn't a question of using people as guinea pigs - it's meant to be working for everyone, and Daz has made several attempts to work ut why it isn't for some.

This discussion has been closed.