Penny 8

Comments

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,962

Penny 8 not bad at all

PENNY 8.png
    863 x 882 - 683K
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

I think the only thing really shown by the V8 trick is that if you slap the same skin and hair on a character or characters and then shoot them from different angles with different expressions with different makeups it's hard to tell who they are.

Add to it the fact that G8 gets HD expressions and a ton of facial rigging that change the position of the facial features with the expressions, then it makes it even harder to tell.

These are Genesis 3 "Official Daz Characters" and have been out for quite some time. They should be instantly recognizable. And there might be some who CAN instantly recognize them, but I'm sure there are people who can't instantly recognize them, even people who own them who maybe don't instantly recognize them. And these are G3 figures that don't even have the benefit of all the extra facial rigging nor did I use any HD expressions - so the expressions don't change the faces as much as the G8 expressions do.

While I do think there are people who will be able to instantly recognize the above characters (without looking at the G3 DO figures to compare), I think that there are some who will struggle with naming some of them, even though most have been out for years (while the G8 characters have only been out for months). 

While I do think a couple of the DO G8 figures are a little similar, they are still distinctive and unique characters and aren't THAT similar, imo. :) While the trick was an interesting one, I don't think it proved what it was supposed to have proved, but that's just my opinion. :) I could be 100% off the mark, of course. I just think that the V8 test only showed that angles and lighting and makeup and expressions can change the look of a character pretty dramatically. Again, just my opinion. :)

but it's also the same with real life though isn't there are a lot of people unrelated world over that have similar features some even look related or actual identical I myself have a few and others who have seen them say we are identical and there have been memes showing actors/singers that were pretty much dead ringers and Kate Perry's current look keep thinking she's Miley Cyrus and Kate's old look she had several looking like her

I think they are the same character too but as I own only Izabella 7, Victoria 7, and Girl 7 she isn't one of them (I don't didn't)

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513

I think the only thing really shown by the V8 trick is that if you slap the same skin and hair on a character or characters and then shoot them from different angles with different expressions with different makeups it's hard to tell who they are.

Add to it the fact that G8 gets HD expressions and a ton of facial rigging that change the position of the facial features with the expressions, then it makes it even harder to tell.

These are Genesis 3 "Official Daz Characters" and have been out for quite some time. They should be instantly recognizable. And there might be some who CAN instantly recognize them, but I'm sure there are people who can't instantly recognize them, even people who own them who maybe don't instantly recognize them. And these are G3 figures that don't even have the benefit of all the extra facial rigging nor did I use any HD expressions - so the expressions don't change the faces as much as the G8 expressions do.

While I do think there are people who will be able to instantly recognize the above characters (without looking at the G3 DO figures to compare), I think that there are some who will struggle with naming some of them, even though most have been out for years (while the G8 characters have only been out for months). 

While I do think a couple of the DO G8 figures are a little similar, they are still distinctive and unique characters and aren't THAT similar, imo. :) While the trick was an interesting one, I don't think it proved what it was supposed to have proved, but that's just my opinion. :) I could be 100% off the mark, of course. I just think that the V8 test only showed that angles and lighting and makeup and expressions can change the look of a character pretty dramatically. Again, just my opinion. :)

Same skin wasn't really the point though, or was it? Maybe I misunderstood. I thought the exercise was to show that we were ready to believe that we're looking at different characters with their own shape and skin even though they're the same, because both shape and skin look fairly similar on some of this generation. Whereas on G3F there were considerable differences. It just cannot be denied that G3Fs look more distinctive, I'll just be honest and say I noticed this very early on myself.

Yep. Seeing whether people can believe two characters are the same is as far as I am concerned the purest way to tell whether those characters are similar. It skips all the "human perception" caveats and goes straight to "what do people actually see when they look at these?"

For everyone who wants to argue "well it doesn't mean characters are similar if people can't tell they're different," well, okay. That's fair. You just have a different definition of similar.

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310

Same skin wasn't really the point though, or was it? Maybe I misunderstood. I thought the exercise was to show that we were ready to believe that we're looking at different characters with their own shape and skin even though they're the same, because both shape and skin look fairly similar on some of this generation. Whereas on G3F there were considerable differences. It just cannot be denied that G3Fs look more distinctive, I'll just be honest and say I noticed this very early on myself.

I'm not saying it's good or bad, I'll leave that to others. Arguments could be made for having a cohesive look for figures of the same generation. Much like characters in a game are going to have a certain art direction to fit together, ideally anyway. But there's plenty of bad that could be said about it too and it shouldn't just be written off as negativism.

I think the question is though, whether the test showed that we beilieved the same character was multiple characters because the characters look similar or we believed the same character was multiple characters because we were told they were and there wasn't one character that we knew to be obviously different enough to overcome the information we were primed with.

Compare it to your own test in the photorealism thread where you posted a picture and asked if it was real or cg. The response was pretty mixed, but imagine if you had instead asked 'can you spot anything obviously cg in this render?' do you think the same number of people would still go 'this is a photo'? so inversely if the question had just been "what character or characters are in these 4 renders" I think you would've seen some pretty different answers

TLDR because of how the expiriment was carried out I think you have to caveat the findings a bit.

Also, I'll play, it's only fair, gut feeling:

1. Rune?

2. Karen?

3. Lilith

4. Arabella

5. Bethany

edited April 2018
    j cade said:

I'm not saying it's good or bad, I'll leave that to others. Arguments could be made for having a cohesive look for figures of the same generation. Much like characters in a game are going to have a certain art direction to fit together, ideally anyway. But there's plenty of bad that could be said about it too and it shouldn't just be written off as negativism.

I think the question is though, whether the test showed that we beilieved the same character was multiple characters because the characters look similar or we believed the same character was multiple characters because we were told they were and there wasn't one character that we knew to be obviously different enough to overcome the information we were primed with.

You're really, really close. The bolded part is the point.

Post edited by agent unawares on

I will be interested to see who DiveMakeup's renders are of. I am a little face blind in situations that I don't expect people in to the point I don't even recognize myself if I walk by one of those mirrors in a department store that looks like you are looking at more department store (and not looking at a mirror) and see myself unexpectedly in the mirror. It's like who is that looking at me.You know, sort of the same way birds crash into windows sometimes.

Redz said:

I see what you did there LOL Would be fascinated to now see the renders redone with the four different characters for comparison.

I'm like halfway through this and the results are super intriguing. There's another aspect to a base's individuality that I don't even think I've seen mentioned.

edited April 2018

Alright, here are all of them together. Victoria, Stephanie, Olympia, Penny. These are sisters, right? Right? Especially Vicky and Olympia in that top row.

But regardless of how you feel about that, get a load of their expressions, specifically, how their expressions differ. Really specifically, how both Victoria and Olympia in the top row have kind of puckered lips with the corners of their mouths drawn together, and Stephanie and Penny don't, and how in the second row Stephanie and Olympia have the corners of their mouths drawn up way further than Victoria does, and how Penny almost has her whole mouth pulled up to the point she kind of looks frightened instead of happy. There are a bunch of other little differences too.

I always thought until now that the custom expression correction morphs that came with each character were just minor tweaks to make sure the new morph didn't mess up the base expression. But they're not. They actually make a lot of the expressions different for each girl, so they kind of have their own personality. If you dial out Olympia's smile correction morph for example, her smile goes back to looking a lot like Victoria's. I thought that was pretty neat.

who is who.png
    1600 x 2080 - 5M
    Post edited by agent unawares on

Alright, here are all of them together. Victoria, Stephanie, Olympia, Penny. These are sisters, right? Right? Especially Vicky and Olympia in that top row.

But regardless of how you feel about that, get a load of their expressions, specifically, how their expressions differ. Really specifically, how both Victoria and Olympia in the top row have kind of puckered lips with the corners of their mouths drawn together, and Stephanie and Penny don't, and how in the second row Stephanie and Olympia have the corners of their mouths drawn up way further than Victoria does, and how Penny almost has her whole mouth pulled up to the point she kind of looks frightened instead of happy. There are a bunch of other little differences too.

I always thought until now that the custom expression correction morphs that came with each character were just minor tweaks to make sure the new morph didn't mess up the base expression. But they're not. They actually make a lot of the expressions different for each girl, so they kind of have their own personality. If you dial out Olympia's smile correction morph for example, her smile goes back to looking a lot like Victoria's. I thought that was pretty neat.

Interesting: I think...

!)  the 2nd row looks angry or frightened and not smiling.

2) I see few geometry differences, and there are a few that aren't so minor but I get the feeling these models are made 'not to be criticized' like some players 'play not to loose'. OK, artists are sensitive. They are all good, mind you, but seeing these I have to agree they do look too similar. Generically middle of the road tans, same generically pretty face structure, the limitations of the face rig (but yet which is already still much improved), and the 'iray render look' all conspire to make these models look too much alike. Bottom line I wouldn't be comfortable saying which model is which and couldn't. I feel Penny gives the most 'naturally beautiful look' although it's not substantially different from the others.

If I'm a buyer that needs a lot of variance in my 3D female models for say, a proof of concept for some fashionable clothing or a graphic novel, then I'm not using these as-is. The geometry variance for DAZ Original models in G8 needs stepped up quite a bit. LOL, well, only if the sales aren't there. If the sales are their count on more of the same. Example, a male and a female of Darwin's Mishap's would of made excellent DOs (catch there being perhaps he is not interesting in buyouts). Anyway, just doing random in FaceGen and exporting and then morphing the body to type will get more daring geometry varience than DOs have.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,747
    edited April 2018

Here is my quick render test of V8, S8,Olympia 8 with Addy's Pepper texture (I LOVE Addy's characters and her textures can make almost any character look good,) I was not thrilled with V8 when I first saw her, but she looks a lot better with Pepper's skin & make up.I don't own Penny.

They clearly look very different BUT they all have very small deep-set close-set eyes and angular features which is why so many people find them unattractive and masculine. My bet is that they were created by a male. A female is more used to femine features and really learns about them as she applies her own makeup...

Also I think their original makeup must have been created by a male. Personally I think women are much better at creating female characters. I could be wrong. Maybe they were created by a female, but I doubt it.

Victoria 8

Steph 8

Olympia 8

! Test V8 Pepper CU.png
    450 x 600 - 560K
    ! Test S8 Pepper CU.png
    450 x 600 - 606K
    ! Test Olympia8 Pepper CU.png
    450 x 600 - 632K
    Post edited by Wonderland on

Here is my test all with Addy's Pepper texture (I LOVE Addy's characters and her textures can make almost any character look good,) I was not thrilled with V8, but she looks a lot better with Pepper's skin & make up.I don't own Penny.

They clearly look very different BUT they all have very small deep-set close-set eyes and angular features which is why so many people find them unattractive and masculine. My bet is that they were created by a male. A female is more used to femine features and really learns about them as she applies her own makeup...

Can notice the geometry differences much easier and while the same textures goes a long way to making them look alike you'll notice that the eye shapes doesn't look to change at all (now the textures are the same), eyebrows stay in place 8I know they are same shape because of texture but the brow ridge underneath), the nose changes but the height doesn't seem to change, no nose like like the 'silly infamous declaration' that Lady Di had a Roman nose back in the 80s.  

edited April 2018

Here is my quick render test of V8, S8,Olympia 8 with Addy's Pepper texture (I LOVE Addy's characters and her textures can make almost any character look good,) I was not thrilled with V8 when I first saw her, but she looks a lot better with Pepper's skin & make up.I don't own Penny.

Also I think their original makeup must have been created by a male. Personally I think women are much better at creating female characters. I could be wrong. Maybe they were created by a female, but I doubt it.

Victoria 8

Steph 8

Olympia 8

This time I took Steph 8 at 100% and made a few quick dial spins in less than 30 seconds, and now she looks more feminine! Then I kept thosesame dials and switched to Olympia 8 at 100% and she looks better too. Thats why I care less about the character in a pro bundle and care more about what's in the actual bundle. If I had liked more of Penny 8's bundle and didn't already have the free bundles offered, I would have purchased the bundle. These new morphs took 30 second to do, and when you have hundreds of morphs, it really doesn't matter what the base character looks like. You can put on a different skin, then spin some dials, now she's Black or Asian or Hispanic or even a male if you start with Stephanie 8 LOL.  I agree there's nothing special about Penny 8 but if you like the bundle and can get two free bundles, why not get it? All characters are EASILY changed!

Stephanie 8 "Feminized"

Olympia 8 "Feminized" - Same morphs as above

! Test Steph 8 Pepper CU Improved.png
    450 x 600 - 628K
    ! Test Olympia 8 Pepper CU Improved.png
    450 x 600 - 656K
    edited April 2018

Victoria 8

Steph 8

Olympia 8

This time I took Steph 8 at 100% and made a few quick dial spins in less than 30 seconds, and now she looks more feminine! Then I kept thosesame dials and switched to Olympia 8 at 100% and she looks better too. Thats why I care less about the character in a pro bundle and care more about what's in the actual bundle. If I had liked more of Penny 8's bundle and didn't already have the free bundles offered, I would have purchased the bundle. These new morphs took 30 second to do, and when you have hundreds of morphs, it really doesn't matter what the base character looks like. You can put on a different skin, then spin some dials, now she's Black or Asian or Hispanic or even a male if you start with Stephanie 8 LOL.  I agree there's nothing special about Penny 8 but if you like the bundle and can get two free bundles, why not get it? All characters are EASILY changed!

Stephanie 8 "Feminized"

I think chin clefts are considered a more masculine trait but I don't have stats on that. I looked it up, men's are more prominent, since they have bigger jaws and all. Women's chins are smaller and rounder. Those articles are speaking 'in general'.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
    edited April 2018

Victoria 8

Steph 8

Olympia 8

Stephanie 8 "Feminized"

I think chin clefts are considered a more masculine trait but I don't have stats on that.

No, women have them too. I think maybe Jennifer Garner? They're more pronounced in men but I've seen women with them... it's weird, I didn't purposely add the chin cleft so maybe it happened by adding a bit of another character. I did those super fast, adding minuscule amounts of maybe three characters, then focused on the eyes, lips and jaw width. The cleft must have come from one of the characters I added. 

Here's a quick 10 second change, I think there might be a bit of a cleft in the original Steph 8 geometry. But in any case, when I first saw Stephanie 8, I thought yuck! But I liked her bundle and other perks enough to get her and with a few quick tweaks, she's someone I can use. The point is, that's what morphs are for and for me, the whole fun of Daz...

! Test Stephanie 8 Pepper CU Improved 2.png
    450 x 600 - 571K
  • I think the only thing really shown by the V8 trick is that if you slap the same skin and hair on a character or characters and then shoot them from different angles with different expressions with different makeups it's hard to tell who they are.

but it's also the same with real life though isn't there are a lot of people unrelated world over that have similar features some even look related or actual identical I myself have a few and others who have seen them say we are identical and there have been memes showing actors/singers that were pretty much dead ringers and Kate Perry's current look keep thinking she's Miley Cyrus and Kate's old look she had several looking like her

LOL...yeah, but Katy Perry used to look exactly like Zoey Deschanel.  I mean, I really thought it was Zoey in a couple of pics and videos.  Maybe she should go into spy work. :)

• Great comparison.  I think that it definitely shows these four models are more alike than they are different.  I'm assuming that you're using each one's own texture.  That said, I do find Penny to be the most attractive of the 4.  So, the slight variances do matter.  If I were to choose one character for my runtime it would be Penny.  However, I'd also pick Victoria for the simple reason that she has the most other characters created from her base.

All in all, I'm still interested in Penny...just not sure it's a must have sort of purchase at the moment.  The pro pack is only of interest because of the freebies and specials.  But, I'm still not ready to part with my cash...especially if Mei Lin might be right around the corner.  Let's just hope Mei Lin doesn't turn out to be V8 with slanted eyes and lighter skin...LOL

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited April 2018

Great comparison.  I think that it definitely shows these four models are more alike than they are different.  I'm assuming that you're using each one's own texture.  That said, I do find Penny to be the most attractive of the 4.  So, the slight variances do matter.  If I were to choose one character for my runtime it would be Penny.  However, I'd also pick Victoria for the simple reason that she has the most other characters created from her base.

All in all, I'm still interested in Penny...just not sure it's a must have sort of purchase at the moment.  The pro pack is only of interest because of the freebies and specials.  But, I'm still not ready to part with my cash...especially if Mei Lin might be right around the corner.  Let's just hope Mei Lin doesn't turn out to be V8 with slanted eyes and lighter skin...LOL

Swapping bases (and I do) is rediculously easy.

Some look very close to being the same. But...

If you start comparing real people, with who's skin is the same (same amount of sun tan and/or pigmentation, they have exactly the same hair style and colour, under exactly the same lighting, I think we'd be surprised how many looked remarkably similar.

One of the big differences would be the skin damage, or wear-and-tear; where smoking, age, drinking and their general health would have an affect.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

They can be considered sisters for sure, not just because of their looks, but because they belong to the same generation.

• nicstt said:

Great comparison.  I think that it definitely shows these four models are more alike than they are different.  I'm assuming that you're using each one's own texture.  That said, I do find Penny to be the most attractive of the 4.  So, the slight variances do matter.  If I were to choose one character for my runtime it would be Penny.  However, I'd also pick Victoria for the simple reason that she has the most other characters created from her base.

Swapping bases (and I do) is rediculously easy.

Some look very close to being the same. But...

If you start comparing real people, with who's skin is the same (same amount of sun tan and/or pigmentation, they have exactly the same hair style and colour, under exactly the same lighting, I think we'd be surprised how many looked remarkably similar.

One of the big differences would be the skin damage, or wear-and-tear; where smoking, age, drinking and their general health would have an affect.

You're making a couple of really good points here:

1. A lot of real world people look mostly the same.  

So, why buy so many of these similar base characters?  Changing hair style and color along with skintone could be enough to have all the similar but different characters we need.

2. Big differences come from skin damage...etc.

This is something I think many people on the forums have been asking for: more real world looking textures...especially on faces and on bodies where the wear and tear would make that unique look.

I'm not arguing...I'm agreeing with you.  :)

I guess I'm saying, I already own Charlotte and Vicky.  Does it really add that much to my runtime to also include Stephanie, Penny, and Olympia.  In generation 7, I would have said, "yes."  I could easily differentiate O7 from V7.  I'm just not seeing it in generation 8.  Some of the only reason that I buy a similar base character is if I really want one of the spinoff characters.  But, that always kind of irks me that I have to own one character derivative of the base G8 in order to have the character that I really want.  Personally, I believe that all derivative characters that require an additional base character to work, should be sold as an upgrade...maybe $5.  That way, it's actually a bargain to buy the derivatives rather than feeling like you've been tapped twice.  I will say that the recent sales of DO addon characters have been a reasonably priced.  So, if I happen to like one of them, I might be inclined to go for the package deal.

• actually on a side note I thought a lot of add on characters for gm8 looked a lot like Michael 8 a real lot more so than any other g8f girls looked like  Vicky 8

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

The more I see of Penny the more I think she is a better Victoria 8 than Victoria 8 is.  Guess I have to wish list her.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,766

Finally got around to rendering Penny.  Overall she's okay, though she feels really barebones and incomplete, and there's one thing that I haven't seen anyone else mention mentioned yet that really annoys me - despite the fact that you can change her eyebrows, her only skin base has a jet black "landing strip" style thatch of pubic hair painted on and there's no hairless option!  Um, DAZ, you DO know those are generally supposed to match, right, so why the option for the one but not the other?  Worse, this isn't even a particularly well painted bit of underhair since the bump maps aren't sufficient to give it any real depth in profile.  I mean, it's no big deal for me to go into photoshop and make a hairless version of the texture, but the majority of DAZ users probably aren't used to doing that kind of surgery.  Also, up until this point DAZ has been pretty good about giving the G8Fs either nothing or just a few wisps down there, but trying to take this out in post or covering it up with a disimilar colored prop will be like Henry Cavil's digitally removed mustache in Justice League.  Sometime's it'll work and sometimes it'll just look really weird and  unnatural.   

Anyway, I did a render of her using a fiberhair prop to give it some dimension, but since the forums don't allow the posting of nudity, I just put it on my DevArt page at https://cybersox-xiii.deviantart.com/art/Thoughts-For-A-Penny-740550921 .  

Cybersox said:

Finally got around to rendering Penny.  Overall she's okay, though she feels really barebones and incomplete, and there's one thing that I haven't seen anyone else mention mentioned yet that really annoys me - despite the fact that you can change her eyebrows, her only skin base has a jet black "landing strip" style thatch of pubic hair painted on and there's no hairless option!  Um, DAZ, you DO know those are generally supposed to match, right, so why the option for the one but not the other?  Worse, this isn't even a particularly well painted bit of underhair since the bump maps aren't sufficient to give it any real depth in profile.  I mean, it's no big deal for me to go into photoshop and make a hairless version of the texture, but the majority of DAZ users probably aren't used to doing that kind of surgery.  Also, up until this point DAZ has been pretty good about giving the G8Fs either nothing or just a few wisps down there, but trying to take this out in post or covering it up with a disimilar colored prop will be like Henry Cavil's digitally removed mustache in Justice League.  Sometime's it'll work and sometimes it'll just look really weird and  unnatural.   

Anyway, I did a render of her using a fiberhair prop to give it some dimension, but since the forums don't allow the posting of nudity, I just put it on my DevArt page at https://cybersox-xiii.deviantart.com/art/Thoughts-For-A-Penny-740550921 .  

LOL, some other DOs have pubic hair that looks like someone scribbled with an eyebrow pencil.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,766
    edited April 2018
    Cybersox said:

LOL, some other DOs have pubic hair that looks like someone scribbled with an eyebrow pencil.

I know.  It's ironic that while the technology to improve the looks of the figures keeps going up, DAZ keeps maginalizing their own product with things that could have easily been fixed for very little time and cost... or maybe that's a "new feature" that they're holding back for Genesis 9. ;P    It just seems strange that with DAz now making such a big deal about having fibermesh eyebrow options on most of the G8F bases, that no one ever looked at Penny naked and so "oooo, that's going to be an issue."     

Post edited by Cybersox on
    Cybersox said:
    Cybersox said:

I know.  It's ironic that while the technology to improve the looks of the figures keeps going up, DAZ keeps maginalizing their own product with things that could have easily been fixed for very little time and cost... or maybe that's a "new feature" that they're holding back for Genesis 9. ;P    It just seems strange that with DAz now making such a big deal about having fibermesh eyebrow options on most of the G8F bases, that no one ever looked at Penny naked and so "oooo, that's going to be an issue."     

I don't render nudes often but I did do a run a test of various DOs with Genesis 8 and I figure they were doing that eyebrow pencil thing to help hide the seams. There are still a lot of issues with iRay in DAZ Studio.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,912
    edited April 2018

Penny the Eight,

Penny02pic01.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 457K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    jestmart said:

The more I see of Penny the more I think she is a better Victoria 8 than Victoria 8 is.  Guess I have to wish list her.

It's funny you said that, because I keep wanting to call her Victoria too. lol I think she would have made a lovely Victoria 8! Not that I don't like V8, I just think Penny (to me) looks a bit more like a Victoria. :)

I did a couple more of Penny 8. I cranked her normal maps up a bit high - so that makes her look a bit older here, imo. 

*Skin settings adjusted.*

Also, I'll play, it's only fair, gut feeling:

1. Rune?

2. Karen?

3. Lilith

4. Arabella

5. Bethany

Close! :) The last one is Kalea 7.