Penny 8

3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Lovely Classic Hollywood type! Yay! laugh

What do you guys think of her?

Comments

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

I like the Audacious outfit and the other 50s themed outfit (the pedal pusher type one). I don't like Penny at all. And that Starlette hair is absolutely ghastly. 

But I'd buy the two 50s themed outfits if i could. 

• Dim ReaperDim Reaper Posts: 687

I would have liked a more unique-looking figure, but Penny is a nice addition.  To me she looks to be somewhere between Victoria 8 and Alexandra 8 in terms of looks.  Some nice items in the pro bundle and it's definitely nice to see a return to the "free pro-bundle" addons - I already had the base figures for the Gen 3 figures, but it is nice to have the pro bundle content.  Downloading now and since I'm waiting in for a parcel delivery, I have the morning to try out the new figure.

• MescalinoMescalino Posts: 431
    jakiblue said:

I like the Audacious outfit and the other 50s themed outfit (the pedal pusher type one). I don't like Penny at all. And that Starlette hair is absolutely ghastly. 

But I'd buy the two 50s themed outfits if i could. 

I like her, i like her a lot. I agree on the starlet hair though. But you could use Louise hair which came with the alexandra pro package...

• bmosaltbmosalt Posts: 52

Penny 8 doesn’t add anything new or different. You could probably create her or something close with some dial spinning. The outfits in the bundle look pretty good but I don’t like either hair. This is an easy pass for me. 

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,355
    edited April 2018

I don't really need another "pretty girl" type but I'd consider buying the pro bundle for the outfits and the free bundles with purchase if I didn't already own them. Unfortuately there are NO free items for me to chose because I already own all the free items. It feels like being penalized for my loyalty so I'll probaly pass on this one. 

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited April 2018
    jakiblue said:

So is the Lauren hair, that is the most awkwardly swept sideways hair I've ever seen. And you can see through the back from the front in huge gaping holes in the promos. On the Starlette hair, like most Propschick hair (sorry), you can see right through multiple layers of hair because the transparency is whack.

There's a Raiya girl in one of the free pro bundles I don't have yet, but I'm not sure that's going to be enough to push me over the edge.

I don't dislike Penny but I don't see anything exciting about her compared to, say Stephanie. Elaina is drop dead gorgeous though.

Post edited by agent unawares on

Genevieve 7 is the only one of the 7 line I don't have, and her pro bundle so rarely turns up in the bonuses, so I"m bummed that she FINALLY turned up as a freebie. 

But not getting Penny, can't afford it, even with adding two of the add ons to bring down teh total. I just don't see anything about Penny 8's morphs that are grabbing me. She looks very bland.  

jakiblue said:

So is the Lauren hair, that is the most awkwardly swept sideways hair I've ever seen. And you can see through the back from the front in huge gaping holes in the promos. On the Starlette hair, like most Propschick hair (sorry), you can see right through multiple layers of hair because the transparency is whack.

There's a Raiya girl in one of the free pro bundles I don't have yet, but I'm not sure that's going to be enough to push me over the edge.

I don't dislike Penny but I don't see anything exciting about her compared to, say Stephanie. Elaina is drop dead gorgeous though.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742

This is the first time I've actually not liked anything in the bundle including the character. I do like one PA character for her, but not enough to get her.  Sigh of relief as I get to save some money... And there's no free bundle advantage even because I have everything but maybe one item from the two two bundles showing. (No idea how many are showing for others, but clearly I have a ridulous amount of content already.) If they gave us more choices of freebies, it might have been worth it to get two bundles free, but without that, I have no interest in this character or addons, sorry..sad

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    There's not a single line in her skin, not even under her eyes. I'm assuming she's supposed to be a bit of a mature character so the lack of these details in her skin is very odd. So she just doesn't look remotely real and the promos are as waxy as ever. She's a toony character, IMO. Some of the outfits are pleasantly nice. I might pick a couple up one day. But I have no use for Penny.

She's also yet another white female. At this point it just feels like trolling.
  • agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513

And there's no free bundle advantage even because I have everything but maybe one item from the two two bundles showing. (No idea how many are showing for others, but clearly I have a ridulous amount of content already.)

Exactly two for me. And the pro bundle plus the two addons that I want is somehow less expensive than the pro bundle on its own or just the stuff I actually like from this launch. Guess I get some weird hair.

There's not a single line in her skin, not even under her eyes. I'm assuming she's supposed to be a bit of a mature character

She's a Hollywood starlet.

• CometsComets Posts: 87

As a newcomer to Daz I'm focusing on Gen 8 content but I find Gen 7 female figures to be more appealing. Will reserve judgement until I see some renders. Doesn't appear to be much value in the pro package though because the hair products I wouldn't use, and though I'm still building a content library I'm already overbrimming with standing/sitting model poses.

Dat Plaza though! It was the only product that made me go wow I have to have that. So many possibilities.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,922

I think she looks a bit like Lauren Bacall

• James_HJames_H Posts: 1,009

I'm struggling to find much enthusiasm, so thinking about it. What I really want is a dog - money down straightaway for that. I keep getting drawn over to that other place with a new dog, but it doesn't quite work for me. It has been a long time.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742
    jash147 said:

I'm struggling to find much enthusiasm, so thinking about it. What I really want is a dog - money down straightaway for that. I keep getting drawn over to that other place with a new dog, but it doesn't quite work for me. It has been a long time.

I would love a Genesis animal as a new "character." Have it morphable like original Genesis but it comes with four legs and a tail, and then you could morph it to any shape, making your own four-legged animals. And have different fur choices in the bundles, maybe some animal clothes, poses, a baby/young morph, an older animal morph, expressions... It would be fun to have a non-human non-toon, morphable four legged animal!

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,947

I chuckled over this:

What's Included and Features

• Penny 8 (.DUF)
      • Penny 8 Character Preset
      • Penny 8 Full Body Shape
      • Penny 8 Head Shape
    • Alexandra 8 Materials:
      • Utilizing the Improved Iray Uber Shader
      • Penny 8 All
  • y3kmany3kman Posts: 765
    SimonJM said:

I chuckled over this:

• Penny 8 (.DUF)
      • Penny 8 Head Shape
    • Alexandra 8 Materials:
      • Penny 8 All

Well, they look similar.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,735

In honour of the maxim, "If you can't say anything good...," I will refrain from whacksing waxing pathetic on Penny, her skin and hair props. Pro Bundles that are released in the second and fourth weeks of the month almost always catch me with little to no 3D money. That's how I missed Aiko 8, and that's how I'll miss Penny, although there is nothing about her or her bundle that is interesting to me. And I have all the would-be freebies; so, there is no incentive there either. It'd be nice to have an orange banner 20% loyalty discount if you already own the freebies.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Penny 8 "out of the box" with her "Translucency Low" setting:

• hyteckithyteckit Posts: 167
    edited April 2018
    y3kman said:
    SimonJM said:

I chuckled over this:

• Penny 8 (.DUF)
      • Penny 8 Head Shape
    • Alexandra 8 Materials:
      • Penny 8 All

Well, they look similar.

I was thinking Penny 8 is the 30 year old version of the 50 year old Alexandra 8.

30 year old Vivian to 50 year old Helena::

https://www.daz3d.com/fwsa-vivian-hd-for-penny-8

https://www.daz3d.com/fwsa-helena-hd-for-alexandra-8

And 30 year old Vivi to 50 year old Kylie

https://www.daz3d.com/vivi-for-penny-8

https://www.daz3d.com/kylie-for-alexandra-8

Post edited by hyteckit on
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,735

Too bad you didn't do her promos. I like her better now, especially the veins on her thigh. But she still needs some shader love.

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

I like the Audacious outfit a lot and it's pretty certain that I'll buy it. The pedal pusher outfit looks to have a bit of under-boobage cling going on in some of the promos so I'm not so sure about that one. Penny and the add-on figures don't interest me at all. Like someone else said, there's nothing really new about them and it wouldn't be too difficult to put something similar together with what most of us have already got. The 1920s evening gown looks well made, but it lacks the versatility of the Audacious outfit, which is particularly important to me at the moment on a stretched budget. Without much of a description on the Breakfast Date outfit, I'd assume it's supposed to be silk, but it's coming across to me as more like PVC. Either that or Penny's date is fancy dress and she's actually going as breakfast and is dressed as a black pudding. The least said about any of the hair, the better.

I love the period vibe of the collection and would like to see more of the same. Just better quality.

If this was FB I'd be punching that "love" button so hard right about now laughlaughwink 

I love the period vibe of the collection and would like to see more of the same. Just better quality.

• Honestly, if this was just some random PA's character, most people probably wouldn't give it a second glance - virtually indistinguishable from dozens of characters that are already in this, and other stores. Unless some absolutely fantastic addon character that needs the Penny base arrives, I just don't see the point.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited April 2018
    xyer0 said:

Too bad you didn't do her promos. I like her better now, especially the veins on her thigh. But she still needs some shader love.

Ok. Here she is with her skin settings tweaked with my shader. 

I think she's beautiful! :)

It's 3 AM here and time for me to go to bed, but I hope other people post renders of her too! I'd love to wake up to more renders of Penny 8! smiley

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • xyer0 said:

Ok. Here she is with her skin settings tweaked with my shader. 

I think she's beautiful! :)

It's 3 AM here and time for me to go to bed, but I hope other people post renders of her too! I'd love to wake up to more renders of Penny 8! smiley

Excellent work with those shaders.  I really like her look as well...pretty, but realistic.  In particular, I like the shape of her profile.

• Panzer EmeraldPanzer Emerald Posts: 727
    edited April 2018

Another pretty white female that adds nothing fresh or new to the table, nor does she have any non-white PA characters in the pro bundle.

Daz? You can do better than this. Mei Lin and Lee 8. Kimo and Kalea 8. Hell, why not do something daring and make Middle Eastern/Arabic characters? Why not South Asia (i.e. India)? Or even a Native American/First Nations duo?

Seriously. You have no excuses left at this point. 

Post edited by Panzer Emerald on
  • She’s genuinely awful and adds absolutely nothing of interest. What is Daz doing with this bland Caucasian women week after week. Even Aiko is now a bland Caucasian woman. Alexandra is the most interesting of the white females so far, but this?? Eugh. Even the skin ‘texture’ sucks. 

• y3kmany3kman Posts: 765
    edited April 2018

Testing out a less shiny surface setting for the Breakfast Dress with Penny wearing it.

Post edited by y3kman on
  • Panzer EmeraldPanzer Emerald Posts: 727
    edited April 2018
    Karuki said:

She’s genuinely awful and adds absolutely nothing of interest. What is Daz doing with this bland Caucasian women week after week. Even Aiko is now a bland Caucasian woman. Alexandra is the most interesting of the white females so far, but this?? Eugh. Even the skin ‘texture’ sucks. 

I know, right? 

In the past, they used to be good, if not consistent, with adding an "ethnic" (read: not white) PA-made character in every pro bundle or every other one. It was spotty with Genesis 3, but it's like they've completely given up with Genesis 8 to even make a half-hearted attempt to be diverse. 

I mean, if Penny 8 is supposed to be a throwback to the 20's-50's, why not include a character that's inspired by Josephine Baker? 

Yes, I do realize there are PAs out there making great characters who aren't Caucasian: I love Rarestone's Pei, Minto, and Minami. Mousso makes some great Asian and Black ladies, and SickleYield's Faces of Earth are a good supplement. But when you look at all the Daz Original "major" characters released so far... there's still so much more work to be done. And I hope Daz takes this to heart going forward, too. If not releasing more non-white major characters (i.e. Mei Lin 8, Kimo 8), then making an effort to ensure there's options in the Pro Bundles.

Post edited by Panzer Emerald on

i wish we could go back to the days of morph packs. Instead of this "ooh new shiny base figure that is YET another white female". Muscle morph packs - there, that's your warrior woman/man! Add a few muscles or lots of muscles - have Conan aka Shwarzenegger or hte lean, fit, kung fu warrior. Asian morph pack - chinese, japanese, korean etc etc etc. "Fuller figure" - pear shaped, love handles, beer belly, voluptuous, obese. 

Then you could just buy skins - instead of getting sucked into this "must buy the new figure cos she's all shiny and new and ooohhh she has a mature aged face [but not hands or chest]".