Penny 8

Comments

• I think she's pretty. I fully expected not to like her, even seeing her in the Viewport... but she renders really pretty.

Complaining about wypipo? I thought I was on Twitter while reading this thread...

• all three ladies from pro bundle had some problems with the clothing

Jazz Away My Blues 

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/562141

Fabulous! I love their expressions! 

thank you trying to concentrate more and more on expressions makes a big differance in a render learning that now

• HeraHera Posts: 1,952

When I first read Penny 8 I thought her to be Oliie's counterpart, which would give me a reason to get him.
    Now there's nothing at all that I feel lacking in my library, so it's a pass for me.
    Bring on the Asians please!

• nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,325
    edited April 2018

This looks like a very nice addition to the line up of figures, but you really have to look past the promo pics which don't really let you see the skin texture, or what the model looks like without heavy make-up or odd eye color choices, which don't really go with the 20's aethetic they seemed to be trying to go for.

Post edited by nelsonsmith on
  • nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,325
    xyer0 said:

Penny 8 "out of the box" with her "Translucency Low" setting:

Too bad you didn't do her promos. I like her better now, especially the veins on her thigh. But she still needs some shader love.

Ok. Here she is with her skin settings tweaked with my shader. 

I think she's beautiful! :)

It's 3 AM here and time for me to go to bed, but I hope other people post renders of her too! I'd love to wake up to more renders of Penny 8! smiley

You really should have done the promo pics.  These give a much better idea of what she actually looks like.

• ghosty12 said:
    Chezjuan said:

Like others, I bought Penny for the freebies and accessories. I do most of my work in Genesis 3, so the freebies really drove my purchase. I also had my eye on a couple of the free bundles for a while (Kalea and Genevieve), so it was almost a no-brainer. The vintage clothing was a nice addition, and with SY's clones (or conversion if I want to do it manually), I can use them across the generations with little effort.

Pretty much what I did as well, can't pass up on a deal like that.. :)

While normally I'd agree, since we get a new character approximately every two weeks, and many of them now come with old G3 bundles for free, I'd rather wait for the next character if I don't like the newly released one. Penny and her entire pro bundle just isn't my cup of tea. All I can do is vote with my wallet.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

I don't understand really when folks talk about distinctive; no matter how unique the character that Daz produces, they've sold hundreds and maybe thoudands of them. When there are so many in existence, distinctive? Not really when there are so many looking the same, as a look at Deviant Art will show one.

Morphs, for dialling something I like, are what make a character distinctive; base characters add opportunities to the mix. Official or otherwise, they are what I use them for.

Pet said:

I do not like Penny 8, she looks just like a dial spin between Victoria 8 and Stephanie 8. Not even remotely in this new Character.

There is one outfit in the pro bundle that takes my fancy, I shall buy it next month.

Both Hair in that Pro Bundle is, as Jakiblue said, ghastly and I would not ever use it.

My Bank Account is very happy today.

They are all - in effect - dial spins of G8F. Other than a couple of the anime affects, I haven't seen a human (ish) character that is anything but a dial-spin; as long as one has a decent selection of the morphs available.

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310

This looks like a very nice addition to the line up of figures, but you really have to look past the promo pics which don't really let you see the skin texture, or what the model looks like without heavy make-up or odd eye color choices, which don't really go with the 20's aethetic they seemed to be trying to go for.

20s was all about that heavy makeup though (although much more heavy black eyes and weird shaped red lip than multicolored) the red lipstick slightly smudgy black eyeliner is fairly suitably 20s. I think they were going for/inspired by different eras for some of the different makeups (ie the one paired with the purple eyes in the promo was clearly going for an Elizabeth Taylor vibe) Personally I wish they'd done one with a more aggressively 20's shaped bow lip, or one with the silly 30s round shaping  where they half get rid of the peak, but I'm pretty sure there's few else who'd appreciate that level of accuracy, and most would just think it looked bad. (30s you'd also have to go for the pencil brow and I'm definitely confident not may would like that)

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    nicstt said:

I don't understand really when folks talk about distinctive; no matter how unique the character that Daz produces, they've sold hundreds and maybe thoudands of them. When there are so many in existence, distinctive? Not really when there are so many looking the same, as a look at Deviant Art will show one.

Distinctive:

https://www.daz3d.com/benita-for-victoria-8
    https://www.daz3d.com/uchenna-for-genesis-8-female
    https://www.daz3d.com/syble-hd-for-genesis-8-female (ymmv but this body shape is different from a lot out there)
    https://www.daz3d.com/pei-and-pei-suit-for-genesis-8-female

https://www.daz3d.com/ollie-8
    https://www.daz3d.com/ronen-character-hair-and-briefs-for-genesis-8-male
    https://www.daz3d.com/fiore-for-genesis-8-male
    https://www.daz3d.com/george-for-genesis-8-male

Anyone indigenous to the US would instantly be distinctive, due to the fact that there are none of them for recent generations. None. While we're at it, Middle Eastern is basically not there either. So anyone looking to make distinctive characters, as in "doesn't look like anything else on the market," there's your huge untapped group of looks.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,861

@agentunawares   Fun list there! Those definitely meet a need for different morphs to add to the gene pool. 

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,780

BD Louisa's not in What's Hot; so, I don't know if anyone on the forum has purchased her. But I'd like to see what she looks like WITHOUT Penny 8 dialed in.

If anyone can do a quick facial render of her, I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,962
    xyer0 said:

BD Louisa's not in What's Hot; so, I don't know if anyone on the forum has purchased her. But I'd like to see what she looks like WITHOUT Penny 8 dialed in.

If anyone can do a quick facial render of her, I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

I want to get her, she's in my cart with the bundle.  But something looks strange with the ams  I don't know if it's because she's thicker than the average Daz waif or what

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,780
    j cade said:
    No in those days they just had the "I'm skinny due to replacing one meal a day with cigarettes and taking all these amphetamine pills my studio gives me body" .... So natural and healthy not like now :|

HA!

Ati said:
    azoohouse said:

Yeah. It would be nice to get an additional discount maybe, when we're not able to get any free products. An extra 30% might tip the scale for me to buy this bundle, but as it currently is, I'll just wait.

You said it, Ati.

I have no idea, but there seems to be some common feeling that DAZ needs to be the one making base figures of different ethnicities, etcetera, and that only having them come from PAs diminishes their perceived importance (and the level of marketing they get).

Very, very few PAs have the skill/resources to create a character on the level that Daz (usually) does with their Core characters. The difference may be between one person and a group, or it may be like most things: There are three or four at the top; seven or eight in the middle, and everybody else.

Plus, the Daz Original M4/V4 Elite Ethnic Faces had separate eyes, separate noses, separate lips, and separate facial shapes for each ethnic type; so, it was extremely versatile. Come to think of it I need to GenX2 it, and see what happens. Ethnicity for Genesis gave us six (3 male, 3 female) full heads each for Asian, African, & Native American. And since Genesis 2? Nada. Often PA full head morph packs often look as plain as the Base. 

A couple more of Penny 8 (with skin settings adjusted).

Dang! Divamakeup to the rescue. It's the o-t-b waxy skin that's puttin' the kibosh on Penny's sexy. The distinction is in the skin details, but Daz's patented Genesis 8 skin wax makes everyone equal, although some are more equal (orange, yeah, I'm lookin' at you Olympia and Stephanie) than others. 

xyer0 said:

I want to get her, she's in my cart with the bundle.  But something looks strange with the ams  I don't know if it's because she's thicker than the average Daz waif or what

The arms, that's just baby fat! Get her! Yeah! And post the FACIAL renders here or in my special-made thread. I'm getting Penny (just the character) later (since the 30% lasts for 12 more days), but I've got to hold onto my money because I MUST have Altern8, Divamakeup's Skin Shader System. I just did the math, and I can still get BD Louisa's Scandanavian bodaciousness with my current setup, though. So, maybe I'll get a chance to post her.

xyer0 said:
    j cade said:
    No in those days they just had the "I'm skinny due to replacing one meal a day with cigarettes and taking all these amphetamine pills my studio gives me body" .... So natural and healthy not like now :|

HA!

Ati said:
    azoohouse said:

Yeah. It would be nice to get an additional discount maybe, when we're not able to get any free products. An extra 30% might tip the scale for me to buy this bundle, but as it currently is, I'll just wait.

You said it, Ati.

I have no idea, but there seems to be some common feeling that DAZ needs to be the one making base figures of different ethnicities, etcetera, and that only having them come from PAs diminishes their perceived importance (and the level of marketing they get).

Very, very few PAs have the skill/resources to create a character on the level that Daz (usually) does with their Core characters. The difference may be between one person and a group, or it may be like most things: There are three or four at the top; seven or eight in the middle, and everybody else.

Plus, the Daz Original M4/V4 Elite Ethnic Faces had separate eyes, separate noses, separate lips, and separate facial shapes for each ethnic type; so, it was extremely versatile. Come to think of it I need to GenX2 it, and see what happens. Ethnicity for Genesis gave us six (3 male, 3 female) full heads each for Asian, African, & Native American. And since Genesis 2? Nada. Often PA full head morph packs often look as plain as the Base. 

Dang! Divamakeup to the rescue. It's the o-t-b waxy skin that's puttin' the kibosh on Penny's sexy. The distinction is in the skin details, but Daz's patented Genesis 8 skin wax makes everyone equal, although some are more equal (orange, yeah, I'm lookin' at you Olympia and Stephanie) than others. 

xyer0 said:

The arms, that's just baby fat! Get her! Yeah! And post the FACIAL renders here or in my special-made thread. I'm getting Penny (just the character) later (since the 30% lasts for 12 more days), but I've got to hold onto my money because I MUST have Altern8, Divamakeup's Skin Shader System. I just did the math, and I can still get BD Louisa's Scandanavian bodaciousness with my current setup, though. So, maybe I'll get a chance to post her.

Yes I want Diva's Alternaskin system too.  I'm just conflicted about Penny.  I usually just say F it and get the pro bundle but Sunny 7, I just got the clothes and finally got the pro bundle with some free offer.  Then there was Ollie 8 where I just got the base and 2 characters.  Not really crazy about Penny's clothes but not getting much of a deal a la carte.  I also am on the fence about P3D Elaina.  She looks like a V4 character done by P3D that I converted to G8 and I kind of like the V4 version more.

PD Ellis G8.png
    863 x 882 - 981K
  • RainRain Posts: 335

Here's some shape mixing. All these are with Penny 8 textures "out of the box" with her "Translucency Low" setting.

Penny 100%:

Penny 80%, Karyssa 40%, Iris -80:

Penny 55%, Monique 60%:

Penny 80%, Sakura 10%, Iris +5:

She is really cute with the “mixes.  Love what you’ve done with her!

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,866

Here's my head to toe take on Penny. Btw, does anybody recognize the jewelry set used in her promos?

• Kaleb242Kaleb242 Posts: 344

Divamakeup's renders and shader adjustments of Penny look really good!

I'm having a very hard time making a purchase decision for Penny 8 — she really looks exactly like Victoria 8 to me, adding almost nothing unique to the dial-spinning gene pool.

There's something about the eye brow size, nose shape, chin/jaw ratio, and smile line similarities between the two... that if I were to do a side-by-side comparison between Victoria 8 and Penny 8 renders with no character names under them, I would probably guess wrong several times. Makes me start feeling like I'm having facial blindness or something, when the differences are so subtle.

I'm a big fan of diversity and original shapes that can be mixed together to create more unique looking characters — having too much of the same look gets boring fast, and looks too unoriginal. Victoria is just so recognizable, that anything that too closely resembles Victoria looks like a 'stock' image to me. I like when base models add capabilities for pushing character shapes much further into new areas.

P3Design did a fantastic job with Elaina for Penny 8 — really nice and unique eye brows, nose, and face shape... should have been in the Pro Bundle, in my opinion. The head to body size proportion looks a little off, but the facial structure is superb, looks like a young starlet, or some celebrity persona.

This character, along with some good outfits in the pro bundle, just may push me to buy it this weekend... but the "choose two free Featured items FREE" really backfires against long time loyal customers — it's the exact opposite of an incentive, because we actually paid pretty good money for all those previous Pro Bundles in the past, so the Featured items box is presented to us completely empty. It actually makes me not want to buy a Pro Bundle on launch week ever again, to avoid getting double burned. It's really incentivizing not purchasing pro bundles today, to get pro bundles for free in the future.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,135
    xyer0 said:

Very, very few PAs have the skill/resources to create a character on the level that Daz (usually) does with their Core characters.

You do realize that most of those characters are actually created by PAs and bought by DAZ, right?

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,755

@Novica's render here is in her art studio and is the one that I think makes her look like Nicole Kidman in "Bewitched." To me this is the best render I've seen of her and if they gave us the ability to choose our bundle, rather than ones we already have, I may have been swayed by this render... https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/212231/novica-forum-members-tips-product-reviews-pt-10/p83

• Pet said:
    jakiblue said:

i wish we could go back to the days of morph packs. Instead of this "ooh new shiny base figure that is YET another white female". Muscle morph packs - there, that's your warrior woman/man! Add a few muscles or lots of muscles - have Conan aka Shwarzenegger or hte lean, fit, kung fu warrior. Asian morph pack - chinese, japanese, korean etc etc etc. "Fuller figure" - pear shaped, love handles, beer belly, voluptuous, obese. 

Then you could just buy skins - instead of getting sucked into this "must buy the new figure cos she's all shiny and new and ooohhh she has a mature aged face [but not hands or chest]". 

I 100% agree with  you on that one Jaki.

Then why don't you do that?

Do what? DAZ stopped doing their ethnic morph sets, so people can't dial them in.

Why does it always HAVE to be DAZ morphs?

Hmmmm...I think it's Daz's own marketing that makes the "base figure" seem so important.  I mean really...G8F or G8M are the only real base figures.  All the others are built from those meshes.  But, the reason why we are talking about the ethnic morphs coming from Daz, is because this is a discussion about a new Daz base character, and why don't they release a wider range of ethnic base characters to provide skin textures and morphs.  I mean, after all, a "base character" is really a single morph and texture pack with a preset that creates an "actor."   I'm just saying that it seems like a lot of redundant releases when there are so many other interesting and varied bodies, faces, and skins to make available. 

• xyer0 said:
    j cade said:

HA!

Ati said:
    azoohouse said:

You said it, Ati.

xyer0 said:

Okay, I have to say those are some renders that really show off the girl...I don't really need Penny per say....But, after seeing those renders, she seems like a much more worthy addition than I first thought.

Toyen said:

Here's my head to toe take on Penny. Btw, does anybody recognize the jewelry set used in her promos?

This render is really really nice.  I asked about the jewelry and I pasted the response.

The necklace is (I believe) from this set: https://www.daz3d.com/regal-jewelry-for-genesis-8-female-s

The bracelets are from this set: https://www.daz3d.com/jeweled-excellence-bracelets-1-for-genesis-2-3-and-8-female-s - the one on her right arm (I think that's the one you wanted to know about) is in the third popup (it's twisted round some on Penny's arm)

You might want to check https://www.daz3d.com/mattymanx, she has lovely jewelry, I have several sets

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    Kaleb242 said:
    I'm having a very hard time making a purchase decision for Penny 8 — she really looks exactly like Victoria 8 to me, adding almost nothing unique to the dial-spinning gene pool.

There's something about the eye brow size, nose shape, chin/jaw ratio, and smile line similarities between the two... that if I were to do a side-by-side comparison between Victoria 8 and Penny 8 renders with no character names under them, I would probably guess wrong several times. Makes me start feeling like I'm having facial blindness or something, when the differences are so subtle.

There's a Penny render somewhere, maybe this thread, that I actually thought was going to be part of a comparison between V8 and Penny as I scrolled down and saw it. The top half of the face was so V8 that it could have been her.

Has anyone rendered P3D Elaina for Penny 8 yet?  Does she have a tattoo on her neck/chest area?

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,866

Thanks a lot Allie! :) Those seem to be the ones!

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,995
    ghosty12 said:
    Chezjuan said:

Like others, I bought Penny for the freebies and accessories. I do most of my work in Genesis 3, so the freebies really drove my purchase. I also had my eye on a couple of the free bundles for a while (Kalea and Genevieve), so it was almost a no-brainer. The vintage clothing was a nice addition, and with SY's clones (or conversion if I want to do it manually), I can use them across the generations with little effort.

Pretty much what I did as well, can't pass up on a deal like that.. :)

While normally I'd agree, since we get a new character approximately every two weeks, and many of them now come with old G3 bundles for free, I'd rather wait for the next character if I don't like the newly released one. Penny and her entire pro bundle just isn't my cup of tea. All I can do is vote with my wallet.

The only reason I bought into Penny 8 is for the G3 Pro Pack freebies, as have just started getting into the G3 series of figures.. And well getting two Pro packs was most definately worth it..  Though it can only go so far and since I have most of the G3 Pro packs well this sort of thing can only go so far..

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    edited April 2018
    nicstt said:

Distinctive:

https://www.daz3d.com/syble-hd-for-genesis-8-female (ymmv but this body shape is different from a lot out there)

Anyone indigenous to the US would instantly be distinctive, due to the fact that there are none of them for recent generations. None. While we're at it, Middle Eastern is basically not there either. So anyone looking to make distinctive characters, as in "doesn't look like anything else on the market," there's your huge untapped group of looks.

My point was; as an example, Daz sells a 1000 Ollie 8, yet if one renders un-tweaked, there are going to be 999 the same out there.

My second point: Every single character is distinctive; the fact they may be considered similar doesn't stop them being distinctive as they can be told apart; so what do folks mean by distinctive? I'm pretty sure there will be lots of replies that relate to the style of character said individual is waiting (hoping?) for.

Your examples are different to many, and certainly distinctive; yet Daz has never yet sold us the same exact character with two different names, even the same named characters across generations are distinctive; some like 'em, and some don't.

Some are more recognisable (not the same as distinctive) and a more unsual shape than others - I'm thinking about Ollie 8, and George here.

Post edited by nicstt on
    edited April 2018
    nicstt said:
    nicstt said:

Distinctive:

My point was; as an example, Daz sells a 1000 Ollie 8, yet if one renders un-tweaked, there are going to be 999 the same out there.

That has nothing to do with why people want distinctive characters, though.

nicstt said:

My second point: Every single character is distinctive; the fact they may be considered similar doesn't stop them being distinctive as they can be told apart

Are they though? If I render one of the DAZ flagship girls, are you going to be able to tell me if it's V8, O8, S8, or P8 without looking to compare?

Post edited by agent unawares on

For reference, this is the definition of distinctive in question:

having or giving an uncommon and appealing quality, Merriam Webster

having a special quality, style, attractiveness, etc.; notable, Dictionary.com

easy to recognize because of being different from other people or things of the same type, Macmillan Dictionary

Being able to tell two figures are different figures if they're standing next to each other doesn't even come close to cutting it.