• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513

Also, I'll play, it's only fair, gut feeling:

1. Rune?

2. Karen?

3. Lilith

4. Arabella

5. Bethany

Close! :) The last one is Kalea 7. 

Wow, I would never have guessed Kalea on that last one. I think I remember her with a more rounded nose than she has.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

1. Rune?

2. Karen?

3. Lilith

4. Arabella

5. Bethany

Wow, I would never have guessed Kalea on that last one. I think I remember her with a more rounded nose than she has.

lol Right? See what I mean about angles and expressions and all that. I think they make a pretty big difference in how a character looks. :)

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513

1. Rune?

2. Karen?

3. Lilith

4. Arabella

5. Bethany

lol Right? See what I mean about angles and expressions and all that. I think they make a pretty big difference in how a character looks. :)

Yes, angles make a big difference, to me though this shows that the Bethany and Kalea head morphs aren't distinct to me. Similar goes for Lilith and Arabella actually, the only way that I know how to tell them apart is that I specifically remind myself Arabella is a "sharper" Lilith. If they weren't both in that lineup it might have been a 50-50 shot I mistook one for the other.

• jestmart said:

The more I see of Penny the more I think she is a better Victoria 8 than Victoria 8 is.  Guess I have to wish list her.

Totally agree...wish she had been first out.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    Artini said:

Penny the Eight,

Oh geez. Now "I'm Penny the 8th I am, Penny the 8th I am I am" is stuck in my head. lol

It would be really funny if Daz comes up with a Henry for this gen. :) EVERYONE on the forum would have that song stuck in their head for a week. lol

• Artini said:

Penny the Eight,

Oh geez. Now "I'm Penny the 8th I am, Penny the 8th I am I am" is stuck in my head. lol

It would be really funny if Daz comes up with a Henry for this gen. :) EVERYONE on the forum would have that song stuck in their head for a week. lol

Well, we can be fairly sure that Daz will come out with More figures for those of us who are Rich enough.

• I was resisting Penny but I broke down and grabbed the pro bundle with 3 of the add-ons which brought the pro down to about $40.  What really tipped it for me was getting 2 G3 pro bundles free and I grabbed Lilith 7 & Kalea 7.  Daz deals add-on registered the whole order at 85% off.  G3 is still highly useful to me.

• deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227

Here's my Penny

• Here's my Penny

Now there's a bad girl...surely to be arrested in that day and age. :)

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

I did a couple more of Penny 8. I cranked her normal maps up a bit high - so that makes her look a bit older here, imo. 

*Skin settings adjusted.*

She strikes me as an older character, than many - 30s ish, and probably touching or around 40 even

nicstt said:

Great comparison.  I think that it definitely shows these four models are more alike than they are different.  I'm assuming that you're using each one's own texture.  That said, I do find Penny to be the most attractive of the 4.  So, the slight variances do matter.  If I were to choose one character for my runtime it would be Penny.  However, I'd also pick Victoria for the simple reason that she has the most other characters created from her base.

All in all, I'm still interested in Penny...just not sure it's a must have sort of purchase at the moment.  The pro pack is only of interest because of the freebies and specials.  But, I'm still not ready to part with my cash...especially if Mei Lin might be right around the corner.  Let's just hope Mei Lin doesn't turn out to be V8 with slanted eyes and lighter skin...LOL

Swapping bases (and I do) is rediculously easy.

Some look very close to being the same. But...

If you start comparing real people, with who's skin is the same (same amount of sun tan and/or pigmentation, they have exactly the same hair style and colour, under exactly the same lighting, I think we'd be surprised how many looked remarkably similar.

One of the big differences would be the skin damage, or wear-and-tear; where smoking, age, drinking and their general health would have an affect.

You're making a couple of really good points here:

1. A lot of real world people look mostly the same.  

So, why buy so many of these similar base characters?  Changing hair style and color along with skintone could be enough to have all the similar but different characters we need.

2. Big differences come from skin damage...etc.

This is something I think many people on the forums have been asking for: more real world looking textures...especially on faces and on bodies where the wear and tear would make that unique look.

I'm not arguing...I'm agreeing with you.  :)

I guess I'm saying, I already own Charlotte and Vicky.  Does it really add that much to my runtime to also include Stephanie, Penny, and Olympia.  In generation 7, I would have said, "yes."  I could easily differentiate O7 from V7.  I'm just not seeing it in generation 8.  Some of the only reason that I buy a similar base character is if I really want one of the spinoff characters.  But, that always kind of irks me that I have to own one character derivative of the base G8 in order to have the character that I really want.  Personally, I believe that all derivative characters that require an additional base character to work, should be sold as an upgrade...maybe $5.  That way, it's actually a bargain to buy the derivatives rather than feeling like you've been tapped twice.  I will say that the recent sales of DO addon characters have been a reasonably priced.  So, if I happen to like one of them, I might be inclined to go for the package deal.

I buy them because I like to; it's a hobby, so something new is released, and I'm thinking does it offer something I can use. I find that when one starts playing around with the character's textures and settings on both morphs, textures and shaders there is variety previously hidden. plus in the basic form, the head shader also adds options to influence custom morphs in subtle to more blatant ways.

Does it really add that much to my runtime to also include Stephanie, Penny, and Olympia

Always a tough question, and it is down to us as individuals to decide that.

I wasn't expecting to buy Penny, but I like the fact she is a little older, and potentionally quite a bit from Divamakup's post.

Here's my Penny

Now there's a bad girl...surely to be arrested in that day and age. :)

Or at least arrest what's left of her; stopping power was less back then. :(

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,328
    edited April 2018

Not super original, but just playing around with her to see what I could manage.

A Penny For Your Thoughts - 3D by Erik Pedersen

- Penny 8
    - BOSS Pro Light Set for Portraits & Promos
    - Drop Wet Hair for G3 by OOT
    - Background is from an in-camera bokeh shot I took.

A Penny For Your Thoughts

A Penny_For_Your_Thoughts_3D_Erik_Pedersen.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 274K
    Post edited by Gogger on
  • Gogger said:

Not super original, but just playing around with her to see what I could manage.

- Penny 8

A stunning image...and definitely puts her in the "yes" box. :)

• nicstt said:

I did a couple more of Penny 8. I cranked her normal maps up a bit high - so that makes her look a bit older here, imo. 

*Skin settings adjusted.*

She strikes me as an older character, than many - 30s ish, and probably touching or around 40 even

nicstt said:

Great comparison.  I think that it definitely shows these four models are more alike than they are different.  I'm assuming that you're using each one's own texture.  That said, I do find Penny to be the most attractive of the 4.  So, the slight variances do matter.  If I were to choose one character for my runtime it would be Penny.  However, I'd also pick Victoria for the simple reason that she has the most other characters created from her base.

All in all, I'm still interested in Penny...just not sure it's a must have sort of purchase at the moment.  The pro pack is only of interest because of the freebies and specials.  But, I'm still not ready to part with my cash...especially if Mei Lin might be right around the corner.  Let's just hope Mei Lin doesn't turn out to be V8 with slanted eyes and lighter skin...LOL

Swapping bases (and I do) is rediculously easy.

Some look very close to being the same. But...

If you start comparing real people, with who's skin is the same (same amount of sun tan and/or pigmentation, they have exactly the same hair style and colour, under exactly the same lighting, I think we'd be surprised how many looked remarkably similar.

One of the big differences would be the skin damage, or wear-and-tear; where smoking, age, drinking and their general health would have an affect.

You're making a couple of really good points here:

1. A lot of real world people look mostly the same.  

So, why buy so many of these similar base characters?  Changing hair style and color along with skintone could be enough to have all the similar but different characters we need.

2. Big differences come from skin damage...etc.

This is something I think many people on the forums have been asking for: more real world looking textures...especially on faces and on bodies where the wear and tear would make that unique look.

I'm not arguing...I'm agreeing with you.  :)

I guess I'm saying, I already own Charlotte and Vicky.  Does it really add that much to my runtime to also include Stephanie, Penny, and Olympia.  In generation 7, I would have said, "yes."  I could easily differentiate O7 from V7.  I'm just not seeing it in generation 8.  Some of the only reason that I buy a similar base character is if I really want one of the spinoff characters.  But, that always kind of irks me that I have to own one character derivative of the base G8 in order to have the character that I really want.  Personally, I believe that all derivative characters that require an additional base character to work, should be sold as an upgrade...maybe $5.  That way, it's actually a bargain to buy the derivatives rather than feeling like you've been tapped twice.  I will say that the recent sales of DO addon characters have been a reasonably priced.  So, if I happen to like one of them, I might be inclined to go for the package deal.

I buy them because I like to; it's a hobby, so something new is released, and I'm thinking does it offer something I can use. I find that when one starts playing around with the character's textures and settings on both morphs, textures and shaders there is variety previously hidden. plus in the basic form, the head shader also adds options to influence custom morphs in subtle to more blatant ways.

Does it really add that much to my runtime to also include Stephanie, Penny, and Olympia

Always a tough question, and it is down to us as individuals to decide that.

I wasn't expecting to buy Penny, but I like the fact she is a little older, and potentionally quite a bit from Divamakup's post.

I think "because I like to (buy them)," is a perfectly valid reason.  My point was really more of deciding where my limited dollars are spent, on more very similar characters, or on something that adds a bit more in the way of morphs and textures.  Of course, if money is not a problem - sure, buy them all...why not?  Personally, I've got over a thousand items in my wishlist and it just keeps getting bigger.  So, I have to decide which items are a priority.  I like Penny just fine - actually better than Vicky.  But, there is a fairly long list of other possible purchases that have priority.  I'm still wonndering when Mei Lin will be out...or whatever the G8 equivalent is.  I'd be even happier if Mei Lin looked a bit like Michelle Yeoh or Zhang Ziyi.  Of course the morphs aren't as critical as the skin.  I can always create my own Asian characters.  But, a really great Asian base skin texture would be great.  

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,864

Gogger that's a wonderful render you have there! Love the expression! ♥

And Penny reminds me of someone in this one and of course I can't remember who :D

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,747
    Gogger said:

- Penny 8

Wow! You made her look gorgeous! This should have been a promo pic! If I liked the rest of the bundle and if two free G3 bundles had been available to me (I own them all) I would have bought her based on this and one of Novica's renders. It's interesting that user images are so much better than the official ones...

• I like Penny 8 and admit that she is advertised as a "starlet" but I didn't realise there isn't a "No Make up" option - or am I missing something? Surely that should be a basic option as not all our figures go around in full make up all the time.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,971

Amazing render, Gogger, well done.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,501
    Gogger said:

- Penny 8

Wow! You made her look gorgeous! This should have been a promo pic! If I liked the rest of the bundle and if two free G3 bundles had been available to me (I own them all) I would have bought her based on this and one of Novica's renders. It's interesting that user images are so much better than the official ones...

she still looks like a younger Alexandra 8 to me. 

• hyteckithyteckit Posts: 167
    Gogger said:

- Penny 8

Nice render. I need to learn how to render like that.

daveso said:
    Gogger said:

- Penny 8

Even still?  In my head I can kinda see your point, but on the screen, not so much. <shrugs>

Penny and Alexandra

Penny_Alexandra_3D_Erik_Pedersen.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 440K
    hyteckit said:
    Gogger said:

- Penny 8

Nice render. I need to learn how to render like that.

Thanks!  I have a lot of fun just doodling around.  One of the biggest things I have learned is "If the light ain't right, the render ain't right!"  Lighting is everything. And mind you, by "right" it can be good lighting, or bad lighting, but the light has to fit the scene for it to work.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,904

I about fell out of my chair at someone a ways back saying on the forum 'light is unimportant', that all that matters is the model.

I, uh. Wow.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,956
    Gogger said:
    daveso said:
    Gogger said:

- Penny 8

Even still?  In my head I can kinda see your point, but on the screen, not so much. <shrugs>

Penny and Alexandra

She does look like a younger Alexandra.

Oso3D said:

I about fell out of my chair at someone a ways back saying on the forum 'light is unimportant', that all that matters is the model.

I, uh. Wow.

hmmmmm

Gogger said:
    daveso said:
    Gogger said:

- Penny 8

Penny and Alexandra

Penny must have her dad's nose then.
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,956
    Gogger said:
    Gogger said:
    daveso said:
    Gogger said:

- Penny 8

Penny and Alexandra

Penny must have her dad's nose then.

No, noses and ear lobes are two parts of everybody's body that continue to grow a person's entire life so Alexandra as an older Penny is on target for the nose. It's the cheekbones that don't quite get it for me though but they look close enough too. 

• Oso3D said:

I, uh. Wow.

Honestly, I'd say that the light is way more important than the model.  Even on the old original Poser characters rendered in OpenGL, I could with the right lighting, make a render that could pass as a photo at first glance.  That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate a great looking character.  I'm just saying on a level of what can make or break the render, the lighting is way on top.

• EJWorksEJWorks Posts: 483

Penny, feeling good. New girls in town doesn't have her worried one bit.

Finals are over for me, I had a bit of time to cover, so now finally playing with some items fairly new to me. For some reason the scarf set wasn't showing up in my downloads for a while and Daz would crash when I'd be rendering pictures, so my first few runs at rendering Penny weren't successful. Hoping to get some just for fun pictures completed using Penny, Alexandra, Edward, and Ivan.

Penny, feeling good.jpg
    1004 x 878 - 223K