Penny 8

Comments

• PetraPetra Posts: 1,143

I do not like Penny 8, she looks just like a dial spin between Victoria 8 and Stephanie 8. Not even remotely in this new Character.

There is one outfit in the pro bundle that takes my fancy, I shall buy it next month.

Both Hair in that Pro Bundle is, as Jakiblue said, ghastly and I would not ever use it.

My Bank Account is very happy today.

• PetraPetra Posts: 1,143
    jakiblue said:

i wish we could go back to the days of morph packs. Instead of this "ooh new shiny base figure that is YET another white female". Muscle morph packs - there, that's your warrior woman/man! Add a few muscles or lots of muscles - have Conan aka Shwarzenegger or hte lean, fit, kung fu warrior. Asian morph pack - chinese, japanese, korean etc etc etc. "Fuller figure" - pear shaped, love handles, beer belly, voluptuous, obese. 

Then you could just buy skins - instead of getting sucked into this "must buy the new figure cos she's all shiny and new and ooohhh she has a mature aged face [but not hands or chest]". 

I 100% agree with  you on that one Jaki.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    Llynara said:

I'll do one with Diva's shaders next (which I tested.) They are great for taking the orange out.

Thank you, my friend! :D 

Try the "Darius 8 B - No Maps" preset. :) You'll need to apply the "Diffuse Overlay - A Face" to get her eyebrows back.

I hope that helps! 

Thanks! Those Darius presets are very versatile.

I think it's an improvement, though her eyes still look a little flat. I think it's the textures themselves. Might play with some others in their place. (Same lighting, tone mapping, bloom, etc here.)

I'll try to do a render of FWSA Vivian and the wonderful new P3D. She really looks like Liz Taylor in some of the promos. Gorgeous! 

Penny-8-alt-shaders2.jpg
    2000 x 3236 - 555K
  • Pet said:
    jakiblue said:

i wish we could go back to the days of morph packs. Instead of this "ooh new shiny base figure that is YET another white female". Muscle morph packs - there, that's your warrior woman/man! Add a few muscles or lots of muscles - have Conan aka Shwarzenegger or hte lean, fit, kung fu warrior. Asian morph pack - chinese, japanese, korean etc etc etc. "Fuller figure" - pear shaped, love handles, beer belly, voluptuous, obese. 

Then you could just buy skins - instead of getting sucked into this "must buy the new figure cos she's all shiny and new and ooohhh she has a mature aged face [but not hands or chest]". 

Then why don't you do that?
  • agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    Pet said:
    jakiblue said:

Do what? DAZ stopped doing their ethnic morph sets, so people can't dial them in.

• Pet said:
    jakiblue said:

Do what? DAZ stopped doing their ethnic morph sets, so people can't dial them in.

Why does it always HAVE to be DAZ morphs? I know SickleYield picked up on them after DAZ decided not to continue with them.
  • ChezjuanChezjuan Posts: 509

Like others, I bought Penny for the freebies and accessories. I do most of my work in Genesis 3, so the freebies really drove my purchase. I also had my eye on a couple of the free bundles for a while (Kalea and Genevieve), so it was almost a no-brainer. The vintage clothing was a nice addition, and with SY's clones (or conversion if I want to do it manually), I can use them across the generations with little effort.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited April 2018
    Pet said:
    jakiblue said:

Why does it always HAVE to be DAZ morphs?

I have no idea, but there seems to be some common feeling that DAZ needs to be the one making base figures of different ethnicities, etcetera, and that only having them come from PAs diminishes their perceived importance (and the level of marketing they get).

Post edited by agent unawares on
  • ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,962
    MelanieL said:
    vwrangler said:

Where'd did Penny get the long gloves  and jewels in the main Penny promo pix?

Which promo are you talking about?

Gloves come with the (horribly named) Breakfast Date dress. Also, the cigarette and holder. There's also a jewelry set in the PA items, but I don't know if that's what you're talking about.

This picture.  Not the same gloves at all unless using a different texture- very sheer with butterflies.  Also the very top of the arm looks very different.  The bracelet on the right arm and the necklace.

I want to say they look like the gloves from Dark Heart 2 with a different texture pack. The tops look about right. https://www.daz3d.com/dark-heart-for-genesis-2-female-s

Yes yes those look like the gloves. I been searching forever can't track down the necklace and that bracelet.

The necklace is (I believe) from this set: https://www.daz3d.com/regal-jewelry-for-genesis-8-female-s

Still hunting for the bracelets. The bracelets are from this set: https://www.daz3d.com/jeweled-excellence-bracelets-1-for-genesis-2-3-and-8-female-s - the one on her right arm (I think that's the one you wanted to know about) is in the third popup (it's twisted round some on Penny's arm)

Thanks so much
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

A couple more of Penny 8 (with skin settings adjusted).

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,907

This didn't end up showing off Penny as much as I'd intended, but...

• PsychoNautPsychoNaut Posts: 61
    edited April 2018

She's quite lovely.

So far my favorites: #1) Monique 8 (absolutely stunning)

#2) Charlotte (cute!)

#3) Penny

#4) Alexandra 8

Of course...  ha ha...  We haven't seen Mei Lin 8 yet. So...

Post edited by PsychoNaut on
  • Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,995
    Chezjuan said:

Like others, I bought Penny for the freebies and accessories. I do most of my work in Genesis 3, so the freebies really drove my purchase. I also had my eye on a couple of the free bundles for a while (Kalea and Genevieve), so it was almost a no-brainer. The vintage clothing was a nice addition, and with SY's clones (or conversion if I want to do it manually), I can use them across the generations with little effort.

Pretty much what I did as well, can't pass up on a deal like that.. :)

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,267

Seems like the biggest problem with Penny is that no one really wanted her. 

Quite a lot of people want Lee and Mei Lin. Several people want the Girl. Now that we *have* Ollie, rather a lot of people want a female counterpart so the kind of speciaized facial feature morphs that he brough to the table can be available for the female side of the gene pool as well. For that matter, people want couterparts for any figure that doesn't have one. 

But no one ever heard of Penny, andf the only hint of her got sprung on us too late for us to build up any particular suspense over who she might be. 

If they'd leaked the name a couple of weeks earlier we'd have at least had a chance to do that. But really, about the only thing new about her is her name.

• CrescentCrescent Posts: 321
    Pet said:
    jakiblue said:

Why does it always HAVE to be DAZ morphs?

I have no idea, but there seems to be some common feeling that DAZ needs to be the one making base figures of different ethnicities, etcetera, and that only having them come from PAs diminishes their perceived importance (and the level of marketing they get).

1)  DAZ always makes the head and body morphs separate while PAs don't always do that.  That lets me mix-and-match morphs better. I don't care if DAZ only has non-thin White characters and thin Black characters because I can use the non-thin White body morphs with the Black head morphs to get who I need.  If there are only non-thin White and thin White characters, I'm stuck.  (Sticking a Black skin from a previous generation on a White character rarely works unless I'm working on a bi-racial character.)

2)  I can apply coupons to new DAZ products while I can't with PA products.

3)  Getting major characters in bundles means getting more for less.  I usually pick up bundles when the total cost of the items I like is more than the total cost of the bundle.  And sometimes I'll end up using an item I wouldn't have paid if it hadn't been in the bundle so that's an additional win in the long run.

4)  If DAZ makes a non-White female character, there's a better chance of them making a male counterpart.

5)  The amount of male content in the store is a lot less than the female content.  If DAZ makes a male bundle, that means additional male items, such as outfits.  PA male characters rarely inspire additional male content.

6)  While some PAs come out with really good characters of different ethnicities, some of them have characters that are ... ethnically bland ... to be polite, looking like only one great-grandparent was non-White. 

7)  Some of the head morph packs with a bazillion different morphs are quite good, but it takes forever to figure out which ones to use to get the right look for a specific ethnicity.  With a DAZ character bundle, the base ethnicity is established and I can use the morph packs to customize the look.  (Some times the PA character add-ons in the bundle are additional variants of that ethnicity.)

8)  Having ethnicity morph packs would be great if there were skins available for those ethnicities.  A "Tribes of the Inuit" morph pack doesn't do much good if the only skins available are for blond Malibu Beach worshipper and tan blond Malibu Beach worshipper.  Changing settings in the Surfaces tab only goes so far.

• (sticking head in) I'm a terrible person and I'm going to hell I'm sure, but I LIKED Penny. 8. :P I like the fact that she's young, but looks like an adult. Scampering off now.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,569

what people say they want and need, isn't actually the same as what people are actually laying money down for. What people are paying money for is what pays the bills. Hiro for example, despite having a cult following here in the forums, was not a great seller.  Young white females sell the most.

You can't really gauge the popularity or salability based on what people in the forums claim to want. They represent a very small portion of a very silent large group who votes with their money for the same thing everytime.

• ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794

I like Penny 8 and the dresses included in the Pro Bundle, so that i made the purchase.   Both hair in the Pro Bundle - well, let's just say I would NOT buy these at all if they had not come in the bundle. 

Here's some shape mixing. All these are with Penny 8 textures "out of the box" with her "Translucency Low" setting.

Penny 100%:

Penny 80%, Karyssa 40%, Iris -80:

Penny 55%, Monique 60%:

Penny 80%, Sakura 10%, Iris +5:

• LOL, this thread cracks me up, so many different and outspoken opinions, ugly, fat, not another white chick, more ethnic diversity, she looks like this person, no that person, you just gotta laugh laugh

I think she looks great and can see adding her to the gene pool one day.

I would love to see DAZ release a totally stereotyped, quality character with addons to match and just toss political correctness to the wind. Talk about expanding the gene pool, I might even start buying addon characters then, LOL.

isn't it the way with every release though as they say you can't please everybody and Daz with pretty much ecery release does they release a Jamacian/haiti themed character/s in trouble for stereo typing especially voodoo themed, release asian again same with their outfits/clothing/theme, New Zealand (kiwi) same-if they did an Aborigine one there would be a meltdown in complaints, anything with pinup/skimpy/ fantasy all hell breaks loose, average clothing too boring, unique different  as in Ollie who reminds me a lot of the older generation from Australia and England too ugly extreme big nose/ears, not enough dark skin characters - they may not be base characters but during MM they were several of these and some asian one being an older asian, complaints about having to buy hd morphs seperately then given free with pro bundles and complaints they were be given, too old too young too fat too skinny too ugly too pretty too average too boring/safe/average, even their names, not enough like previous versions/too much like previous versions. No matter what they do offer Daz can never win think the least complained about release was Star

• Oso3D said:

If you find a skin is 'too orange', easiest fix is to select skin and lips, and drop the saturation of the transmitted color. I usually reduce it to about 60-80. Works like a charm, most of the time.

that's some helpful useful advise thanks with Penny in my current render didn't get orange skin perhaps cause of lights but there are others have so thanks for that on a side note do you have Darius 8 if so you know how to make him lighter show detail most of the time he comes out too dark for me and loses detail 

• ItsCeoItsCeo Posts: 471
    edited April 2018

I like her

magical Morning.jpg
    749 x 676 - 186K
    Post edited by ItsCeo on
  • Here's some shape mixing. All these are with Penny 8 textures "out of the box" with her "Translucency Low" setting.

Penny 100%:

Penny 55%, Monique 60%:

they should get you to do promos you keep getting showing them off at their best and Penny looks great here and the others you've done

edited April 2018

PLUS.. I got Penny 8, and longtime Wishlists Kalea 7 & Genevieve 7 for under $60? Yeah!

Penny.jpg
    880 x 680 - 141K
    Post edited by ItsCeo on

LOL, this thread cracks me up, so many different and outspoken opinions, ugly, fat, not another white chick, more ethnic diversity, she looks like this person, no that person, you just gotta laugh laugh

I would love to see DAZ release a totally stereotyped, quality character with addons to match and just toss political correctness to the wind. Talk about expanding the gene pool, I might even start buying addon characters then, LOL.

isn't it the way with every release though

lol Yeah. 

Here's some shape mixing. All these are with Penny 8 textures "out of the box" with her "Translucency Low" setting.

Penny 100%:

Penny 55%, Monique 60%:

they should get you to do promos you keep getting showing them off at their best and Penny looks great here and the others you've done

Awww Thank you! That's really sweet of you to say. :D I'd love to do promos for some of the Official Daz figures. All they'd have to do is ask. laugh

• all three ladies from pro bundle had some problems with the clothing

Jazz Away My Blues 

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/562141

ItsCeo said:

PLUS.. I got Penny 8, and longtime Wishlists Kalea 7 & Genevieve 7 for under $60? Yeah!

hahah I don't know what's happening here, but it looks fun/funny. lol Are they playing "light as a feather stiff as a board"?

• LOL, this thread cracks me up, so many different and outspoken opinions, ugly, fat, not another white chick, more ethnic diversity, she looks like this person, no that person, you just gotta laugh laugh

isn't it the way with every release though

lol Yeah. 

Penny 100%:

Penny 55%, Monique 60%:

Awww Thank you! That's really sweet of you to say. :D I'd love to do promos for some of the Official Daz figures. All they'd have to do is ask. laugh

keep doing this and it could happen there are a few others that started out same as well 

all three ladies from pro bundle had some problems with the clothing

Jazz Away My Blues 

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/562141

Fabulous! I love their expressions! 

ItsCeo said:

hahah I don't know what's happening here, but it looks fun/funny. lol Are they playing "light as a feather stiff as a board"?

Ha! Ha! Ha!  Exactly!  Who says only kids can have fun?!