Penny 8

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,861

Penny 8 - No Post Work (except to add the names). I used the Ultra Genesis Studio for lighting and background color.

Their bent arms look strange

Yeah, wondered immediately about Louisa's arm. 

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

Penny 8 doesn’t add anything new or different. You could probably create her or something close with some dial spinning. The outfits in the bundle look pretty good but I don’t like either hair. This is an easy pass for me. 

This can be said with 99% of characters.

She's more mature; always good.

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735
    Karuki said:

She’s genuinely awful and adds absolutely nothing of interest. What is Daz doing with this bland Caucasian women week after week. Even Aiko is now a bland Caucasian woman. Alexandra is the most interesting of the white females so far, but this?? Eugh. Even the skin ‘texture’ sucks. 

I returned Aiko and told them the same thing.  She's not even anime anymore, she looks like an average white girl.

I don't care for Penny. To me, Penny's eye whites look too white and bright and she's not really pretty enough for 'starlet' material. She looks a bit old. And I hope those are fake reflections. 

I love the Z Vintage Pinups but they don't look dated.  You can still use them for sexy current scenes.  And the BD Louisa character is gorgeous!!  She's the only one I'd buy, but I don't want to have to buy Penny to get her.  Aside from the Vintage Summer clothing set, I'm not into that era of clothing or the whole genre.  Decisions.

• melaniemelanie Posts: 773

To be honest, Penny 8 is a nice character and looks good, but she's sort of redundant. When I first saw her, I thought she looked too much like Victoria 8. Not enough character in her features. I like my people to have more of a unique look, which is one reason why I loved Gianni 6. He had a distinctively characteristic face. I love Edward 8 and Dylan 8. I really like Olympia 7 and Alexandra 8. These "people" all have distinctive, unique faces. As I said, Penny 8 is "pretty," but there's not much about her that distinguishes her from Victoria 8. I'll probably get her eventually, just to up my DAZ population, but she can wait a while. I think Ollie 8 is fun, but he's more of a characiture than a character and is more suited for a specific art style. Anyway, I don't want to bash Penny 8. I feel sort of sorry for her because so many people are a bit negative about her, but I have to agree that there's not enough about her that's different that I can add to my population. I would like to see more ethnic diversity. We got Benita with the G8 generation, and Darius 8, but we need more cultures represented.

• got a render cooking but I have been having some problems with the dresses tried dforce and they blew up and when I closed and reopened the dresses distorted had to delete and readd them also sitting is a problem dress stays stiff maybe dim didn't fully install properly again happened before had to in studio update meta then install again in studio noticed as it's rendering another distortion in one of the dresses both have problems but it's a long render so gonna pretend it's part of meant to be that way

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

I think my only criticism of the skin textures is that they need a more 'lived-in' look and feel.

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460

She looks like Kate Beckinsale to me. Leaning toward her but not a large bundle. Taxes next week.

Just what I was thinking!

CHEERS!

• jaxprogjaxprog Posts: 312

If it weren't for picking up two free genesis 3 pro packs I didn't have, I think I would have passed up Penny 8. I agree with Dim Reaper she looks like blend of Victoria 8 and Alexandra 8, very average looking. But when I am getting $440.00 of product for the price $60.00, then Penny 8 is welcome in my runtime anyday! Shick-Ching! Transaction Approved!

• Penny 8 - No Post Work (except to add the names). I used the Ultra Genesis Studio for lighting and background color.

Their bent arms look strange

I can see that now. I don’t remember which pose I chose. I was looking for one that didn’t cover the torso area, so I chose that one.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    RAMWolff said:
    jakiblue said:

I like the Audacious outfit and the other 50s themed outfit (the pedal pusher type one). I don't like Penny at all. And that Starlette hair is absolutely ghastly.

So is the Lauren hair, that is the most awkwardly swept sideways hair I've ever seen. And you can see through the back from the front in huge gaping holes in the promos. On the Starlette hair, like most Propschick hair (sorry), you can see right through multiple layers of hair because the transparency is whack.

Agreed.  As a hairdresser I wanted to like the Lauren hair but man that bang... sorry no bang is pulled over like that and then a wave follows, it's not only impossible from a stylist standpoint but it's kinda ugly.

Yes! I know nothing about styling hair but I have had long hair in my life and if I pulled my bangs to the side and tried to have them sit there straight out horizontally it would have had to be 50% hairspray. The hair needs to actually curl over the other hair and around itself to support itself. The painful thing is, it's really obvious what hair this is supposed to be, Lauren Bacall's.

And I love Lauren Bacall's hair to death.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,267

Attractive, yes. Distinctive, no. No real point to the character, but that's not to say she isn't potentially a useful character. Unless, you already have a surplus of indistinct characters (which I'm afraid most of us probably do).

I do like the vintage tone to the clothing. A couple of the outfits really do have the right "look", even if they might not be completely accurate. At any rate they are something that can be used in a generally historic scene without looking like complete non-sequiters.

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    jaxprog said:

If it weren't for picking up two free genesis 3 pro packs I didn't have, I think I would have passed up Penny 8. I agree with Dim Reaper she looks like blend of Victoria 8 and Alexandra 8, very average looking. But when I am getting $440.00 of product for the price $60.00, then Penny 8 is welcome in my runtime anyday! Shick-Ching! Transaction Approved!

I second this.  Judged on her own I wouldn't bother and imho not worth a Pro package price.  Most of her clothing items also weren't that great to me.  I was definitely more impressed with Monique 8, Alexandra 8 and Ollie 8 when those landed.  But getting two other figures (including Kalea which I actually really wanted) and the amount of content for such a small price made her an instant purchase.  I passed on Aiko for this very reason as well.  There was no compelling need for me to get her and no good deal on added Pro characters for me to get.  

I don't understand why DAZ hasn't just started letting people customize there bonuses from their own wishlist.  It's all digital purchasing so it isn't like having to move inventory in the tradiational sense.  I would think that Penny would be a 100% seller then.  Pick 2 Pro packages that you don't have, or if you have them already pick a set amount of items from your wishlist to equal that value.  Done.

• It makes me really glad to see more and more people calling out the racial/ethnic disparity in the Daz Originals. I really, really hope Daz is listening. At the end of the day, money talks, sadly... but representation matters.

• Shoxremi said:

It makes me really glad to see more and more people calling out the racial/ethnic disparity in the Daz Originals. I really, really hope Daz is listening. At the end of the day, money talks, sadly... but representation matters.

Agreed!

• jaxprogjaxprog Posts: 312
    Shoxremi said:

It makes me really glad to see more and more people calling out the racial/ethnic disparity in the Daz Originals. I really, really hope Daz is listening. At the end of the day, money talks, sadly... but representation matters.

I would love to see a latino premier model... Ana Maria 8. I would also want to see more authentically asian looking models too.

• azoohouseazoohouse Posts: 660

I like the Penny 8 Pro Bundle, especially the clothing but.....Again, no free products or "because I previously bought them discounts" for me. Perhaps, it's time to take a purchasing break from Daz until the next generation arrives and then this generation will be free for me. It seems unfair to me that my money doesn't buy as much product as others'. It's a really good deal for the others so congrats if you are one of them!

• AtiAti Posts: 9,097
    azoohouse said:

I like the Penny 8 Pro Bundle, especially the clothing but.....Again, no free products or "because I previously bought them discounts" for me. Perhaps, it's time to take a purchasing break from Daz until the next generation arrives and then this generation will be free for me. It seems unfair to me that my money doesn't buy as much product as others'. It's a really good deal for the others so congrats if you are one of them!

Yeah. It would be nice to get an additional discount maybe, when we're not able to get any free products. An extra 30% might tip the scale for me to buy this bundle, but as it currently is, I'll just wait.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited April 2018

Here's my first try with Penny 8. Hair and pose are from the Pro bundle. You can turn off the parameters on the hair and do quite a bit with it. The dress is Esha's Little Red Dress.

I did use tone mapping and bloom while rendering but no postwork. The one thing I'm noticing is the eyes look flat, skin looks a bit orange no matter how I tried to tone map it. I'll do one with Diva's shaders next (which I tested.) They are great for taking the orange out. I also don't like the fact that once again, the eye makeup and lipstick are jammed into one preset. I like to mix and match things. I don't want to be stuck with "one" look. I want many looks. Thankfully there are PAs that include great LIE options that can be used across this generation (I think every female DarwinsMishap character I've seen has extensive LIE presets and many of the men do too.) I wish these were included on base characters. 

(Click and zoom in for more detail.)

It also took quite a while to render this. The bloom can make it take longer, but I'm running a 1080Ti and 64GB of ram. Should be faster! 

Penny-8.jpg
    2000 x 3236 - 551K
    Post edited by Llynara on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,961
    edited April 2018

She is easily the best done of the G8F characters if one is searching for a old B&W film star appeal. It's not even close. This isn't the Girl 8 as toonish pinup but meant to be a real pin-up style DAZ Original and that she is.

At first I wasn't going to buy her, despite being clearly the most realistic glamous pro bundle available, but she reminds me of the old movie star look; look at the Christina Aquilera Candyman video for a more modern take on that style, which I think is a very nice style, no, it's an absolutely gorgeous style. There is only so far unflattering lighting, oiliness and excessive sheen, and pores the size of street potholes is going to take one artistically when rendering.

The lips though something need to be done about these heavily made up lips as they make the lips look flat compared to the rest of the model when rendered. Look at the lips in the last render in the Pro Bundle of the blonde.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,755
    Cybersox said:

Cybersox said:
    vwrangler said:

EDITED: Never mind. I have no idea what I was looking at before.

I actually like most of the clothing -- although I think that the Breakfast Date dress needs a better name and a better main promo. (I'm pretty sure that most breakfast dates, even in the glamourous past, weren't quite that formal, and even if they were, you wouldn't wear a leather dress to them.)

It's a copy of the iconic dress Audrey Hepburn wore in Breakfast at Tiffany's. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Givenchy_dress_of_Audrey_Hepburn   I agree that it looks like leather in the promos, but I think it's actually supposed to duplicate the italian satin of the original.    

I think it looks like a dress made out of tire rubber. It looks no where near as nice as Audrey Hepburn's in one of my favorite movies. I think she looks like an S&M non-sexy drag queen in the promos! I don't know if it's just the promos that are bad because I usually love all of Nikisatez's products. 

A big part of it is that the model's not really the right body-type for a dress like that.  Audrey Hepburn is practically the dictionary definition of the "waif" look, whereas the Penny 8 variants in the ad are... how to say it... packing a bit more sausage in that casing. 

If they had made Penny 8 to look like Audrey Hepburn, I would have thrown her in my cart within a split second!

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,962
    vwrangler said:

Where'd did Penny get the long gloves  and jewels in the main Penny promo pix?

Which promo are you talking about?

Gloves come with the (horribly named) Breakfast Date dress. Also, the cigarette and holder. There's also a jewelry set in the PA items, but I don't know if that's what you're talking about.

This picture.  Not the same gloves at all unless using a different texture- very sheer with butterflies.  Also the very top of the arm looks very different.  The bracelet on the right arm and the necklace.

I want to say they look like the gloves from Dark Heart 2 with a different texture pack. The tops look about right. https://www.daz3d.com/dark-heart-for-genesis-2-female-s

Yes yes those look like the gloves. I been searching forever can't track down the necklace and that bracelet.
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,640

LOL, this thread cracks me up, so many different and outspoken opinions, ugly, fat, not another white chick, more ethnic diversity, she looks like this person, no that person, you just gotta laugh laugh

I think she looks great and can see adding her to the gene pool one day.

I would love to see DAZ release a totally stereotyped, quality character with addons to match and just toss political correctness to the wind. Talk about expanding the gene pool, I might even start buying addon characters then, LOL.

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

Penny would be a fantastic character! If she had better textures... and a less generic shape... and had some ethnic variation other than Caucasian.

Sarcasm aside, this is just another W.A.S.P. like thousands of others, and most likely will languish in runtimes once the newness has worn off.

Some of the outfits look interesting, and the hair... um... no comment.

• Phew. Not enough bang for the penny, I have to say. Figure so so, additional characters in the bundle, hmm. Hair, nothing new or special. Cloth, underwhelming. Free characters, own them all already. Only things of interest are P3D Elaina and the chemise. Pro bundle and those would be $55 with coupon applied but I really think about passing and waiting for TG8.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,016
    edited April 2018

Penny and her vehicle - Penny Farthing.

PennyFarthing03pic01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 237K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,188
    edited April 2018
    vwrangler said:

Where'd did Penny get the long gloves  and jewels in the main Penny promo pix?

Which promo are you talking about?

Gloves come with the (horribly named) Breakfast Date dress. Also, the cigarette and holder. There's also a jewelry set in the PA items, but I don't know if that's what you're talking about.

This picture.  Not the same gloves at all unless using a different texture- very sheer with butterflies.  Also the very top of the arm looks very different.  The bracelet on the right arm and the necklace.

I want to say they look like the gloves from Dark Heart 2 with a different texture pack. The tops look about right. https://www.daz3d.com/dark-heart-for-genesis-2-female-s

Yes yes those look like the gloves. I been searching forever can't track down the necklace and that bracelet.

The necklace is (I believe) from this set: https://www.daz3d.com/regal-jewelry-for-genesis-8-female-s

Still hunting for the bracelets. The bracelets are from this set: https://www.daz3d.com/jeweled-excellence-bracelets-1-for-genesis-2-3-and-8-female-s - the one on her right arm (I think that's the one you wanted to know about) is in the third popup (it's twisted round some on Penny's arm)

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    Llynara said:

I'll do one with Diva's shaders next (which I tested.) They are great for taking the orange out.

Thank you, my friend! :D 

Try the "Darius 8 B - No Maps" preset. :) You'll need to apply the "Diffuse Overlay - A Face" to get her eyebrows back.

I hope that helps! 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,570

She does look unusually orange to me as well. It semed a bit like Gia's skin to me.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,146

I like Penny fine, but don't have a burning desire to get her/the bundle.  However, I love FWSA Vivian's look.  I hope someone renders her both with penny and with just Genesis 8.

BTW Novica posted a render of Penny in her art studio thread, and Wonderland noted she gives off Nicole Kidman vibes.  I agree, particularly in that render. 

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,907

If you find a skin is 'too orange', easiest fix is to select skin and lips, and drop the saturation of the transmitted color. I usually reduce it to about 60-80. Works like a charm, most of the time.