Genesis 8: Some Stats and our Thanks

In 2015 Genesis 3 launched and was by far the most rapidly and broadly adopted of any of our figure generations to date.  Two years later, with day one behind us, Genesis 8 has 59% greater adoption than Genesis 3 did at the end of day one, and it appears to be widening that margin even more.  We're obviously please and excited by this.  But we're also appreciative.  Thank you all for all you do to support our efforts and encourage us. 

We have some really big things planned for the back half of this year.  We think it will surprise and impress a lot of you.  We understand that change is not without pain, but we are committed to always improving, advancing, and moving forward.  We're pleased that so many of you have chosen to take that journey with us.

Our humble thanks,

Daz 3D 

Comments

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,333

I wasn't going to jump on board this time, but having just played around with the base G8, personally I'm really impressed esoecially with the face. So noew I'm trying to get the funds together for V8 and the morphs.

• dikatindikatin Posts: 33
    edited June 2017

In a position like yours, you'll always be exposed to irony and cynicism since it wasn't just what was expected. I'm a great ironer and cyniciser myself, so at least let me offer my thanks. You did a swell job.

Post edited by dikatin on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,146

I'm sure you anticipated the inevitable backlash in the forums. Even I have to admit I really wasn't ready for G8 (and still am not for that matter...my poor wallet), but I find V8 to be very nice, much less an 18 going on 16 glamor girl than previous versions (a good thing IMVHO...I still have V7 for that) and I love the new Power Pose options. Fun! Also the new iray skin shader looks fantastic. The skin looks dewey and moist....very nice. Nice job, and I look forward to seeing the rest of the gang and the new additions to Studio coming up :).

Laurie

• cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409

What  does 59% greater adoption mean? That more people updated DAZ Studio, including genesis8? Or that more people bought V8 and the morphs for Gen8?

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378

What  does 59% greater adoption mean? That more people updated DAZ Studio, including genesis8? Or that more people bought V8 and the morphs for Gen8?

Yes and Yes.  Probably.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,786
    It is likely based on then number of people. Who at least. Downloaded the base from their account
  • DaikatanaDaikatana Posts: 828

It actually could be a tally of first day sales as well.  Not hard to generate those numbers quickly in a small company

• With the backwards compatibility and a night to sleep on it, I'm finding it hard to come up with any major reasons why I shouldn't just jump right on board (unlike with G3 where I felt I had to wait until there were enough conversion tools out).  I'm just trying to figure out the size of my budget first before I leap. smiley

• Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325

Congratulations, DAZ_Steve; I hope the Genesis 8 line is a big commercial success for you. Looking forward to seeing what those really big things are. You've properly committed yourself there, so they'd better be good. Or else - forum hell.

59 percent, eh? And yet the G8 weekend sale is somehow still stuck down at 52%. What gives? wink

And thinking wishfully of numbers, remember there's another super 7 in your product range that needs to advance to 8...

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,944

says Genesis 3 so presumably the starter essentials download numbers

or would say sales of Genesis 3 content

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,534
    edited June 2017

Here's my 2 cents.  I didn't invest that heavily in G3  I have 1 outfit and some morphs/characters I paid for on sale.  The rest that I have was free.  Most of the stuff I have is for older gen models, Daz and Poser.  Most of my renders are comic-book style or some other form of non-photo-realistic renders.  The older gen characters work fine for that, now that I have some Toon Shaders.  That being said.  I have been trying to do some realistic stuff, with limited good results.  I need more IRAY stuff

Last night I started a render using the new G8 base model and a G3F model side by side.  One of my G3F hair styles did not work on the new model (the only female 1 I've paid for).  It was a ponytail and the tail's bones were altered with the autofit tool.  However, a G2F hair worked perfect (Charm hair).  Both models wore a G3F sci-fi outfit.  The outfit needed some minor adjustment, but otherwise worked perfect. (I've needed to adjust it on G3F sometimes too depending on morphs.)   I used a G3F skin on both models and I used a slightly angry expression on both models (slider).  I used an IRAY Hallway.  The image was only 89% complete when I had to go to bed (haven't had a chance to look at it yet today), but I have to admit that while both models looked good, the face on G8 looked more realistic and her Green eyes did not look dead.  I'll post the image tonight.

So bottom line, I'll still be using older models for my comic-book renders, but for realistic renders, I will be looking at the G8.  Especially since I now have the intructions to copy morphs.  I have a limited budget, so it will be a slow adoption, but I will be on board. 

I want to thank the folks at Daz for awakening the artistic side in me that I thought was dead.  Atlhough, this hobby has put a dent in my wallet, it has braught me hours of fun and joy.  Thank you.

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • ColinFrenchColinFrench Posts: 643
    edited June 2017

I added my tiny bit to those stats, and the reason is Daz's apparent abandonment of their DRM experiment.

Back over a year ago I wanted nothing to do with any DRM/encryption/Connect/whatever. Never even upgraded to 4.9. I didn't care for the direction Daz was headed and was reluctant to buy as much as before. At that point, nobody really knew how widely (or not) Daz would use its DRM.

With all that seemingly in the past (although I suspect we'll never get an official 'it's dead' statement from Daz) I'm now comfortable with upgrading to 4.9 and therefore being able to buy and use Vicky8.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Edit: Looking forward to Mike8! Hopefully he will follow V8's trend of being not quite so model-like, more of an average guy.

Post edited by ColinFrench on
  • Nyghtfall3DNyghtfall3D Posts: 765

How about some counts to go with those percentages.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    Morana said:

With the backwards compatibility and a night to sleep on it, I'm finding it hard to come up with any major reasons why I shouldn't just jump right on board (unlike with G3 where I felt I had to wait until there were enough conversion tools out).  I'm just trying to figure out the size of my budget first before I leap. smiley

I'm in roughly the same position, except that the money part has been taken out of my hands ... any spare funds were just directed to buying our kid a new (for her, actually used) car.  (She was driving our old one, but we were concerned about its safety.)

So it's freebies only for me for the next few weeks. :)

• What  does 59% greater adoption mean? That more people updated DAZ Studio, including genesis8? Or that more people bought V8 and the morphs for Gen8?

That more people bought Victoria 8 as compared to Victoria 7.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Thanks Steve. DAZ and the PAs for a great new product line and studio update. I've been having tons of fun playing with it and love the new capabilities. Can't wait to see what's coming next! 

• DAZ, you hit a homerun with Genesis 8 and V8!!

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,264

Yeah, the complete revamping of the UVs was kind of a deal-breaker on generation 7. The new rigging method would have been a shock in any case, but not on its own, insurmountable. I think the biggest hitch with V8 is needing to upgrade the program to really run her. The pose incompatibility isn't that big a deal.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited June 2017

Greetings,

I managed to put together a render last night, and the expression power pose tool absolutely FLOORED me.  I mean, I had high hopes from the video, but the reality was absolutely astounding.  I've been trying to get a 'quirked to one side smile with a raised eyebrow' for the entirety of G3's lifespan (and some of G2F's) and I've never quite managed it right.  I got a look that felt right in seconds on G8F with the new tools.

I autofit a necklace, bracelet and skirt, used the stock HDRI, and used a few of the (VERY nice!) V8 bundle items to mix and match, and it looks absolutely great!

I'm excited to see what's coming next.  I admit, my hopes are on getting something like VWD dynamics integrated (I hate that I can only use it on Windows), but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be exploring the G8F changes for a bit anyway...

This is just a quick test render, but I'm pretty happy with how it's going so far!

Quick WIP of G8F and a mishmash of clothes.

--  Morgan

WIP G8F First Try.png
    1080 x 1920 - 1M
    Post edited by CypherFOX on
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,775

My percentage of a percentage point cannot be counted yet because you guys released a week ahead of the schedule established with V6 and V7; so, I was caught without discretionary funds. It would be nice to have an official rundown of compatibility changes.

• Virtual_WorldVirtual_World Posts: 1,078
    edited June 2017

What I like most are the new facial expressions. Especially the smile.

victoria8.png
    500 x 650 - 548K
    Post edited by Virtual_World on
  • cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,451
    DAZ_Steve said:

We have some really big things planned for the back half of this year.  We think it will surprise and impress a lot of you.  We understand that change is not without pain, but we are committed to always improving, advancing, and moving forward.  We're pleased that so many of you have chosen to take that journey with us.

I'm worried about that line. For me, nothing good comes out of something like that.

So what, subscription/paying for access to the program? Losing DIM? (I doubt you guys have dropped DRM and encryption). 

The idea of spending so much money just to be forced out of a beloved hobby is terrifying to me, as Daz is a massive part of my life now. 

I know to some that this reaction is over the top, but, if you knew me, this is me being rational.

• GatorGator Posts: 1,268
    DAZ_Steve said:

We have some really big things planned for the back half of this year.  We think it will surprise and impress a lot of you. 

Our humble thanks,

Daz 3D 

SubD with GoZ?  surprise

• eric suscheric susch Posts: 131

Do any of these upcoming "really big things' have anything to do with animation?  I hope so.

• DAZ_Steve said:

We have some really big things planned for the back half of this year.  We think it will surprise and impress a lot of you. 

Our humble thanks,

Daz 3D 

SubD with GoZ?  surprise

Why do people equate HD with high subdivision levels?

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,629
    DAZ_Steve said:

I'm worried about that line. For me, nothing good comes out of something like that.

So what, subscription/paying for access to the program? Losing DIM? (I doubt you guys have dropped DRM and encryption). 

The idea of spending so much money just to be forced out of a beloved hobby is terrifying to me, as Daz is a massive part of my life now. 

I know to some that this reaction is over the top, but, if you knew me, this is me being rational.

Rational would be realizing that what you have now will always work, so no need to be forced out of anything other than progress..

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    DAZ_Steve said:

Rational would be realizing that what you have now will always work, so no need to be forced out of anything other than progress..

Except that I've actually had a program (well, specifically an app for a tablet) become useless because a company decided that their cloud service was going to get cut to the bare bones of the program and future use (or using the on-line version of the program) was going to require subscription.  So I could no longer share the work between my desktop (with the older, no longer supported, but fully functioning app) and my tablet, because the only way the two could talk to each other was through the cloud service, which wouldn't save the tags/metadata without a subscription.

So, yes, sometimes what you have does stop working.

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760
    edited June 2017
    DAZ_Steve said:

Our humble thanks,

Daz 3D 

SubD with GoZ?  surprise

Why do people equate HD with high subdivision levels?

Because on Daz3D characters the HD morphs make use of subdivision levels on the base model to bring out details.  If you do not believe me load your favorite character and matching HD morph.  Set your display subdivision to minimum setting and look at the model up close.  Now set it to maximum subdivision and look at it up close

Post edited by JamesJAB on
  • How do I get Genesis 8 female?