Please make better jeans/pants for men

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,990

Tucked in shirt detail?

Yes, pretty impressive not to ignore that.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,682
    j cade said:

Idk if its a generational thing, or what, But I feel like I'm in disagreement with a lot of forumites here, Streetwear and Bad Guy both feel super mom jeans-y to me. Just.. normaly if you see a guy in his 20s in jeans that loose you're also seeing some boxer. Of the pants barbult has shown I think my favorites are the Hoodie outfit and everyday casual ones (I think theyre a rather nice looking pair of dress jeans)

Then again this is what my absolute favorite pair of jeans for my men looks like:

(They're my favorite in the real world too, black skinny jeans are a ubiquitous part of my wardrobe)

Also, just a plea, can we please shy away from what people in the real world should or shouldnt wear?

What pants are those?

I agree, for many years as a musician my pants, both on stage and in normal life were tight, skinny jeans (Lip Service brand stretch jeans, LOL). now that I am older, I wear levis 501 regular straight leg, usually black, not as tight as when I was younger, but snug.

Now on women, I think baggy/loose fitted jeans are not attractive. Dress pants, yes, jeans, no.

It's funny, I work in retail management and in addition to seeing all kinds of people and their styles daily, we also hire various age groups and it's strange to see the different types of fashions from them also.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,550
    edited February 2017
    jakiblue said:

Damn. I've had those on my wishlist for a while waiting for a super mega sale on them as I really only want the cigarette prop (finding a good cigarette/cigar iray prop has been difficult). Rethinking it now I've seen the problems with it.  

barbult said:

Iconic Outfit for Genesis 3 Male(s)

I like the way these don't cling under his butt, but wish they had a little more detail in the modeling, like folds and wrinkles, etc. The textures on this product are troublesome for me. The shirt is blown out, the pants are too dark to see details, and the hat is way too shiny. The opacity mask on the cigarette smoke is causing a flat straight line at the bottom of the smoke. That looks pretty bad.The suspenders are part of the pants but can be turned off in the Surfaces pane.

I changed some surface properties of the clothing to suit myself and rerendered again. I didn't fiddle with the smoke at all. The rerendered image show the suspenders surfaces with opacity at 0.

This is rendered with exactly the same lighting as all the other images, so I don't think this is a lighting issue.

There is a cigarette prop in Everyday Poses for Stephanie 6. There is also a pose to hold it in the hand that I was able to tweak for this G3M render. It doesn't have smoke, though. Maybe you could use SY Rigged Speedy Smoke Iray. I don't have the smoke to try it.

It probably wouldn't be too hard to modify the Iconic Outfit smoke opacity mask in the Gimp or Photoshop, but I haven't tried yet.

These renders use the cigarette and pose from the S6 pose package linked above. It doesn't have Iray materials. I tweaked the 3Delight surfaces a little bit for Iray render.

This render is the iconic outfit cigarette and smoke with its default material loaded. The smoke doesn't look too bad against a light background. The issues show up more on a darker background. The hand pose is from the S6 pose package. Iconic outfit doesn't have a cigarette in the hand pose.

G3M Iconic Outfit for G3M Surfaces Changed no suspenders S6 Cigarette.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 1M
    G3M Iconic Outfit for G3M Surfaces Changed no suspenders S6 Cigarette in hand.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 1M
    G3M Iconic Outfit for G3M Surfaces Changed no suspenders iconic Cigarette in hand.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 1017K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,582
    edited February 2017

This is : Firefighter Uniform for Genesis 3 Males and Genesis 2 Males

I think you could probably kit bash the pants with another shirt if you wanted. Retexturing it to be more of a civilian style. Anyway, like the modeling on the pants. The suspenders aren't the best, but I do like cargo-style legwear.

firefighter.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    Post edited by Serene Night on

Tucked in shirt detail?

Oh, I wonder if that is it.

• j cade said:

Idk if its a generational thing, or what, But I feel like I'm in disagreement with a lot of forumites here, Streetwear and Bad Guy both feel super mom jeans-y to me. Just.. normaly if you see a guy in his 20s in jeans that loose you're also seeing some boxer. Of the pants barbult has shown I think my favorites are the Hoodie outfit and everyday casual ones (I think theyre a rather nice looking pair of dress jeans)

Then again this is what my absolute favorite pair of jeans for my men looks like:

(They're my favorite in the real world too, black skinny jeans are a ubiquitous part of my wardrobe)

Also, just a plea, can we please shy away from what people in the real world should or shouldnt wear?

What pants are those?

<snip>

they're http://www.daz3d.com/ciao-belle-outfit-for-genesis-2-female-s

edited February 2017

Naval Uniform for Genesis 2 Male(s)

Here's a pretty unique pair of pants. I chose to render the white pants. There are also dark uniform pants. These are G2M clothes and don't have Iray materials. I tweaked, including setting surface SubD to 4 for the displacement wrinkles. The shoes are very shiny and I chose to leave them that way. The shirt has morphs to tuck it in and to fit it under the jacket. There also socks in this product.

G3M Naval Uniform for G2M.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 1M
    edited February 2017

Colonel Chaos (for the original Genesis)

The pants are obviously not meant to be used without the top and boots, because they have no real waistband and the bottom is just squished to go into the boots. These garments have no morphs except FBMExpandAll. Being so old, they have no Iray materials, of course. I used the as they were and didn't even tweak them at all. The autofit did some distortion, but not bad for jumping two generations (Wear Them All was used). This is just on the Genesis 3 Male body, so there would probably be more distortion with other character morphs.

G3M Colonel Chaos for Genesis.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 1M
    G3M Colonel Chaos for Genesis with boots and top.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    edited February 2017

This is    Army Uniform For 3 Males and Genesis 2 Males

I must confess, I don't like the shirt of the army uniform it clings in a way that a uniform shouldn't. To the pecs.. But the pants are awesome. Lots of details, the belt looks great, pants fit nicely. Nice degree of realism. Maybe if they were a touch more 'fabric' like, rather than plasticy? But otherwise nice pair of pants.

army uniform.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    edited February 2017

This is: European Clothes for Genesis 3 Male (s)

The pockets are interesting on this one. They have some squareness. I like the fullness of the pockets on the sides of the outfit as well. It gives the ouftit some shape.. I don't like the gray socks at all. I had to render twice because the first time the socks poked through the jeans. They just don't look fabricy. I thought at first I had made some error, and left a piece of a previous outfit on Michael. But no, those are socks.

european.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M

I have this! I remember when I thought it was so cool! I was bummed the hand grenades bandoleer beame so rubberized and distorted. It ruined the look of the set. But it sure was cool at the time.

barbult said:

The pants are obviously not meant to be used without the top and boots, because they have no real waistband and the bottom is just squished to go into the boots. These garments have no morphs except FBMExpandAll. Being so old, they have no Iray materials, of course. I used the as they were and didn't even tweak them at all. The autofit did some distortion, but not bad for jumping two generations (Wear Them All was used). This is just on the Genesis 3 Male body, so there would probably be more distortion with other character morphs.

edited February 2017

Brodie Casual for Genesis 2 Male(s)

Pretty nondescript. No Iray materials. The rivets are part of the pants texture, so they can't easliy be tweaked, and they look bad. The cloth texture is not great either, in my opinion, but better than the rivets. The pants do have some interesting morphs I haven't seen before, like Groin (not bulge) adjustments. It also has knee, inner thigh, and waist adjustments.

G3M Brodie Casual for G2M.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    edited February 2017
    barbult said:

Here's a pretty unique pair of pants. I chose to render the white pants. There are also dark uniform pants. These are G2M clothes and don't have Iray materials. I tweaked, including setting surface SubD to 4 for the displacement wrinkles. The shoes are very shiny and I chose to leave them that way. The shirt has morphs to tuck it in and to fit it under the jacket.

I love the Naval uniform. I do confess to adding a little gray to it sometimes. It tends to blow out quite easily, but I love those whites, and look at those great shoes. Definitely a keeper. Hope to see an updated version for Genesis 3/4

I have this! I remember when I thought it was so cool! I was bummed the hand grenades bandoleer beame so rubberized and distorted. It ruined the look of the set. But it sure was cool at the time.

barbult said:

Yes, it stood out from the crowd of available garments at the time. Our standards and expectations have increased since the original Genesis days.

barbult said:

Here's a pretty unique pair of pants. I chose to render the white pants. There are also dark uniform pants. These are G2M clothes and don't have Iray materials. I tweaked, including setting surface SubD to 4 for the displacement wrinkles. The shoes are very shiny and I chose to leave them that way. The shirt has morphs to tuck it in and to fit it under the jacket.

I love the Naval uniform. I do confess to adding a little gray to it sometimes. It tends to blow out quite easily, but I love those whites, and look at those great shoes. Definitely a keeper. Hope to see an updated version for Genesis 3/4

I also had to add gray to the base color because they were blowing out badly in Iray. I also tweaked some roughness settings, etc.

edited February 2017

Sexy Open Side Tank Outfit (for Genesis 2 Male)

These come with the headphones, dog tags, and MP3 player. There are lots of morphs to adjust the parts to fit well. The headphones can be positioned over the ears or around the neck. The morphs worked well even when the items were autofit to G3M. Ouch, that is a tight crotch. The single short back pocet is unusual. I prefer the second render with some of the addon textures. Although the pants texture is kind of patchy below the waistband. The belt loops are just painted on, but are meant to be covered by the tank top.

G3M Sexy Open Side Tank for G2M.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 1M
    G3M Sexy Open Side Tank for G2M Addon Textures.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    edited February 2017

M601 for Genesis 2 Male(s)

This comes with two different shirt options. These are 3Delight textures that look very good in Iray with no tweaking at all. There are several morphs in the pants, such as opening pockets and adjusting the belt loop to be behind or in front of the loose belt end. I couldn't get the shoes to autofit at all. They just wouldn't go into place correctly. Could be user error. That crotch autofit kind of spoils the look; it would need some work to please me.

Edit: I took my M601 pants into Blender and deflated and smoothed the crotch area. The results are not perfect, but look much better to me. I'm no Blender expert, so it took a long time. I saved the result as a new support asset for G3M.

G3M M601for G2M.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 1M
    G3M M601for G2M - crotch morphed in Blender - Disp SubD 4.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 1M

@Barbult. I like the style of that turtleneck on M601. Very slick looking.  I also admit I am fond of the headset in the sexy open side tank outfit. I use that frequently.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,153

I love the M601 outfit, but I only use it on G2M for the reasons you mention :).

Laurie

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020

I actually really like Smays tactical pants, it is beautiful sculpting, and wonderfully detailed both in mesh and texturing. The issue I feel that you guys are seeing, describing it as 'not looking right' or "feminine" is that they were never made to be rendered without the top, and that its supposed to have the top tucked in, so things are annoyingly loose up top. (Possibly the thighs bit loose too, but that is sadly also common at daz.)

I often dislike a lot of male pants because they are worn so damn high all the time. There is a happy medium between too-high and too-low yanno. I never wear pants as high as some the Daz guys seem to often, certainly don't wear them stupidly low either lol...  There does appear to be several pants previewed here that are low, but are 'low-rise' like Novica mention, not just normal pants worn a bit lower, I assume its to dodge the age long weightmap dramas with the rigging so they keep things so tight-up.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    barbult said:

M601 for Genesis 2 Male(s)

This comes with two different shirt options. These are 3Delight textures that look very good in Iray with no tweaking at all. There are several morphs in the pants, such as opening pockets and adjusting the belt loop to be behind or in front of the loose belt end. I couldn't get the shoes to autofit at all. They just wouldn't go into place correctly. Could be user error. That crotch autofit kind of spoils the look; it would need some work to please me.

AllenArt said:

I love the M601 outfit, but I only use it on G2M for the reasons you mention :).

Laurie

Yeah, there's a big difference on how the M601 looks on G2 and G3. Back when G3M first came out, I started a thread on the problem with auto-fitting pants and how auto-fit mangles the crotch. (It's here, if anyone's interested.)  One of the things I really like about M601 is the fact the slacks actually look like slacks. If Uzilite ever makes an M701 for the Genesis 3 guys, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,075

Is that a way of getting out or more Streetwear gear? wink 

I think I'd vote for Bad Guy..the displacement based wrinkles on that look great,thanks for the nod guys :)

Sadly, i have. You just can't unsee that sort of thing. sad 

I've not seen any man over the age of 18 wear skinny jeans.

That scene is totally "normal" to me. Meaning I wouldn't look twice on the real street. See that all the time in Texas (not necessarily the beer on the street, but the truck and the outfits. all the time. Great scene too. 

AllenArt said:

barbult asked me to post this image and the jeans I used:

The fellas on either side are wearing Urban Survivors for G2M jeans with different textures and Kyle in the middle is wearing Urban Survivors for G3M. They're all Luthbel's. :). Great folds :)

Laurie

edited February 2017

This is Urban Gear.

This is probably as low-rise as its going to get. wink And I actually like it since it is an Urban style I see amongst young men where I live. Autofitting to G3M requires a lot of smoothing to get the crotch area not to distort. But I remember having problems with the crotch when it was brand new..  For some reason, there aren't any other underwear colors.  So guess all your Urbanites are wearing the same pair of fruit of the looms. It is for genesis and doesn't have much in the way of adjustments. Shoes are ordinary. Top is ordinary. The pants are just fun though.

Would like a retread of this with some better bendability in the gron area.

urban.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    edited February 2017
    SpyroRue said:

I actually really like Smays tactical pants, it is beautiful sculpting, and wonderfully detailed both in mesh and texturing. The issue I feel that you guys are seeing, describing it as 'not looking right' or "feminine" is that they were never made to be rendered without the top, and that its supposed to have the top tucked in, so things are annoyingly loose up top.

Naw, I rendered it with a top, and it still looks off to me. It has to do with the cut of the pants and how the set widens the hips.  Looks odd to me for a combat style.  But I Agree they are well made. I was just disappointed in that purchase.  But everyone likes different stuff. Glad you like it.  I really like the tactical boots too.

edited February 2017

This is Urban Gear.

This is probably as low-rise as its going to get. wink And I actually like it since it is an Urban style I see amongst young men where I live. Autofitting to G3M requires a lot of smoothing to get the crotch area not to distort. But I remember having problems with the crotch when it was brand new..  For some reason, there aren't any other underwear colors.  So guess all your Urbanites are wearing the same pair of fruit of the looms. It is for genesis and doesn't have much in the way of adjustments. Shoes are ordinary. Top is ordinary. The pants are just fun though.

Would like a retread of this with some better bendability in the gron area.

Fortunately, I don't see this as much now as a few years ago. laugh I didn't realize the store even had this. I probably only looked at the main promo and moved on at the time. Funny! Thanks for adding to the collection here.

edited February 2017
    casualstyle.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    edited February 2017

This is: Cyber Fit outfit for Genesis 3 Male(s)

I use this one quite a bit. I'm a fan of Midnight Stories work, and I like the way it looks. For obvious reasons it looks better with some bulge dialed in. But since all the other Michael's were barbie, so is this one. =-)

cyberfit.png
    1400 x 1600 - 3M
    edited February 2017

This is Everyday Casual for Genesis 3 Male (s)

Its for one of the teen characters, but I like the fit, and look of this.

everydaycasual.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M