Please make better jeans/pants for men

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,582
    edited January 2017

Smay's Cargo/Tactical pants looks somewhat feminine at the hips I think because real life ones do, at least I think so, almost look like jodhpurs with only a quick glance.

I'm not sure.. The hip/ waist area is slighlty off, the belt is a bit narrow and they are a bit low-rise for men's pants.  When I used them, they seemed designed for females and ported over for men, because of the way they sit on the hips.

Usually the fabric on men's pants starts to blouse out around the thigh region.  These pants have fairly narrow thighs but a big waist. It looks odd to me. 

Styles vary, but if you go into combat with pants hanging low on your hips with your pockets full and you are a guy, your pants are likely to come down. This is why most of the time the belts are belted at the waist not lower.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,153

My biggest gripe with the Urban Survivors jeans for G3M is probably the low rise waist and why I won't use them with no shirt. They sit so low they just look weird to me. Of course I come from a generation where we wore the waist on our jeans at the waist. LOL. The G2M version has a better fit IMVHO.

Laurie

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,550
    AllenArt said:

My biggest gripe with the Urban Survivors jeans for G3M is probably the low rise waist and why I won't use them with no shirt. They sit so low they just look weird to me. Of course I come from a generation where we wore the waist on our jeans at the waist. LOL. The G2M version has a better fit IMVHO.

Laurie

And now they wear them so low that half or more of the under wear shows above the waistband.
    barbult said:
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

And now they wear them so low that half or more of the under wear shows above the waistband.

If I can see almost the bottom of the "happy trail" and the beginnings of the pubic hair they're way too low. LOL Maybe (and I mean only maybe) they look ok on a female (debatable) but on a guy they just look wrong. YMMV ;)

• I buy from both stores and competition is healthy in my opinion. I like buying here but if I can get good value elsewhere I'll definitely do that. I will support good vendors wherever they choose to sell as long as I can afford their items.

I agree! I am always a bit dissapointed when a vendor I like from another store starts selling here. The more stores the better IMO. For those that use and rely on DIM to install products should really pay attanetion to file structure and paths so that they don't have to rely on DIM. I install everything manually so don't have any issues with non DAZ products.

I have, and it gets old when you have to install hundreds of items after rebuilding your PC. This is one reason I now use DIM to install, and would like to see similar options from other stores.

• barbult, thanks for the time and effort with the jeans/pants comparisons. Very useful.

• It's amazing how hard it is to find quality jeans and tee shirts, after all these years.

You would think that would have been figured out by now.

I am happy to see that someone actually put out some dirty laundry props, finally.

There were all these laundrymat sets with no laundry props, or crumpled clothing props, or folded clothes, or hanging clothes.

Ah well...

JD

edited January 2017

What is clear looking at the pants and jeans thus far displayed that we are purchasing a lot of redundant leg wear and a lot of it just isn't that great. Maybe instead of marketing  "outfits" which includes poor quality jeans with no waistbands or details the focus should be on making more singles  with morphs. 

I can at most use about 5 styles of jeans.   I have zero use for jeans lacking details since they aren't usable on their own and rarely look good even partially hidden by a top. 

What is clear looking at the pants and jeans thus far displayed that we are purchasing a lot of redundant leg wear and a lot of it just isn't that great. Maybe instead of marketing  "outfits" which includes poor quality jeans with no waistbands or details the focus should be on making more singles  with morphs. 

I can at most use about 5 styles of jeans.   I have zero use for jeans lacking details since they aren't usable on their own and rarely look good even partially hidden by a top.

That is how Streetwear (Stonemason) made his clothes. Jeans are one product, T-Stirt is another, and sneakers are a third. Each product has useful morphs, several textures and detailed modeling. Win Win Win.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited January 2017

Add Aave Nainan and Bluebird3D to the list of excellent 3D clothing creators- for both men and women. I love everything I have from them. Bad Kitteh Co has some amazing clothing for men over at Rendo as well (mostly for M4.) I went through a ton of outfits trying to find something for an M4 carpenter with Elite ++ morphs to wear. Her Toolboi set is very good.

I like Renegade for G3M a lot too (from the M7 Pro Bundle). I tend to use it with the top. I keep going back to this set. I like how it fits and looks.

Post edited by Llynara on
  • wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,802
    I agree completey with the sentiments expressed in this thread. To my eyes the problem is getting WORSE not better particularly the lack of any appearance of layering and garments that are literally one polygon thick. I am personally creating my own clothing for G2 in maxon cinema4d; both dynamic& conforming.
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,929

Good jeans enhances realism!

Even... when I'm not quite realistic.

(Construction worker jeans. The wrinkles on the legs aren't perfect, but it's at least in the ballpark)

Jeans exo.png
    1334 x 2160 - 2M

The same kinda goes for shirts and things as well. I like wrinkles and folds because real clothes have them ;). I have all those Stonemason clothes in my wishlist now :P.

Laurie

edited January 2017

I looked at my library of men's jeans and pants and I only have a few that weren't covered here. I tried doing turnarouds but they didn't look nearly as nice as barbult's. 

• I agree with more clothing for men. One thing I wish for pants on the guys, is that they don't look like granny pants. When I want to do a render of my male character in just a pair of slacks/jammies/britches, whether it's sci-fi, or current times or medieval or fantasy....why does the waist band of the pants have to go all the way up to the navel...come on! Who wears their pants up near their armpits anymore??! :) I'll have to start thinking that the PAs who make pants in that fashion must wear them in real life like that ;) My 2 pennies worth. 

edited February 2017

I thought it would be fun to show the Sports Suit that Peter Fulford hinted to us about. I was impressed and bought it. It was on sale for less than $10. First I used the Cross Figure tool to create morphs for Genesis 3 Male for each garment. Then I fit them to G3M and was amazed how well they worked. I even applied some of the included Genesis 3 Female poses to G3M and used the corresponding morphs in the garments to shape the garments to match the pose. I had to do some very minor tweaking of the poses and some fiddling with smoothing and collision on the garments to get them looking the best I could. Look closely at the renders. You will see variations like whether the hoodie laces are hanging down or tied, how the scarf hangs, whether the sleeves are pushed up or hanging down, whether the hood is up or down, etc. (With the hood up, I had a heck of a time getting the hair hidden. I had to use the SY Hat and Hair Helper and the Geometry Editor.) There are many texture options in the package - so many, that I had a hard time figuring out what pants went with what hoodie.

The textures are very detailed and a real GPU memory hog. That could be an issue if you don't have a fancy graphics card. I have 6GB GPU RAM, and this image with one G3M and two instances barely fit. I was careful to optimize the instances for memory in Render Settings. The textures use quite a few maps and use displacement with SubD of 3 and 4. The textures look great, though. The forum image compression doesn't show them to their best advantage here.

G3M Sports Suit for G3F fit with cross figure.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    G3M Sports Suit for G3F fit with cross figure_001.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    G3M Sports Suit for G3F fit with cross figure_002.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    G3M Sports Suit for G3F fit with cross figure_003.jpg
    1600 x 1280 - 891K
    G3M Sports Suit for G3F fit with cross figure_004.jpg
    1600 x 1280 - 832K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • MusicplayerMusicplayer Posts: 515
    edited February 2017

Thanks barbult for all your splendid jeans/pants render comparisons. The quality of the sports pants/suit above is amazing along with the array of included posing morphs, and will be an instant buy for me too.

Kind regards.

smiley

Post edited by Musicplayer on

These look awesome! I too bought the set, and the versatility and morphs and movements (such as being able to move the drawstirngs, open pockets, pull up hoods, etc) Is great!

I tested out some of the undress morphs and used them on g3m. It is the new image in my gallery. I won't post that here to derail the topic.

I hope these are a big hit. Great set, and great value to the customer.

• These look awesome! I too bought the set, and the versatility and morphs and movements (such as being able to move the drawstirngs, open pockets, pull up hoods, etc) Is great!

I tested out some of the undress morphs and used them on g3m. It is the new image in my gallery. I won't post that here to derail the topic.

Where can I download the Sport Suit from, I cant find it in the store :(

These look awesome! I too bought the set, and the versatility and morphs and movements (such as being able to move the drawstirngs, open pockets, pull up hoods, etc) Is great!

Where can I download the Sport Suit from, I cant find it in the store :(

It is at renderoisty in the new releases

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

LOL, I just got sucked into a black hole over there looking for it. Looked at all kinds of other stuff too. OMG, 3D content sites are distracting!

edited February 2017

Hip Hop Outfit for Genesis 3 Male(s)

Might as well add the new Hip Hop pants, even though they are not "jeans" exactly. This is one of the most jeans-like of the included textures. The fly area looks strangely shaded to me. The shading looks like the left side (as we view it in the render) is on top, not the right side where the button hole should be - know what I mean? On the unshaded modeled item, it looks like the the button hole side is on top, although the left and right sides of the pants front just butt together with no overlap in the waistband. The waistband, fly area and botton have nice thickness modeled in, but the belt loops don't.

G3M Hip Hop pants.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 1M
    G3M Hip Hop pants waist detail no texture.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on

I find the front part of the hip hop jeans looks a bit like the buttocks to me. The seam looks like it belongs in the rear when I saw that set.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,990

And the hip-hop jeans, like most of the rest of the DAZ clothing models, invariably looks oddly flat compared to the model that is wearing the clothing.

I find the front part of the hip hop jeans looks a bit like the buttocks to me. The seam looks like it belongs in the rear when I saw that set.

I guess they are supposed to be loose so the guy can do all the wild break dancing moves. I have to admit I'm not tuned into the culture, so it is a guess.

Llynara said:

LOL, I just got sucked into a black hole over there looking for it. Looked at all kinds of other stuff too. OMG, 3D content sites are distracting!

The Daz Store is the only place I know my around and feel comfortable. The Sports Suit is the first thing I've purchased any place else for years, I think.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,462
    barbult said:

I thought it would be fun to show the Sports Suit that Peter Fulford hinted to us about. I was impressed and bought it. It was on sale for less than $10. First I used the Cross Figure tool to create morphs for Genesis 3 Male for each garment. Then I fit them to G3M and was amazed how well they worked. I even applied some of the included Genesis 3 Female poses to G3M and used the corresponding morphs in the garments to shape the garments to match the pose. I had to do some very minor tweaking of the poses and some fiddling with smoothing and collision on the garments to get them looking the best I could. Look closely at the renders. You will see variations like whether the hoodie laces are hanging down or tied, how the scarf hangs, whether the sleeves are pushed up or hanging down, whether the hood is up or down, etc. (With the hood up, I had a heck of a time getting the hair hidden. I had to use the SY Hat and Hair Helper and the Geometry Editor.) There are many texture options in the package - so many, that I had a hard time figuring out what pants went with what hoodie.

The textures are very detailed and a real GPU memory hog. That could be an issue if you don't have a fancy graphics card. I have 6GB GPU RAM, and this image with one G3M and two instances barely fit. I was careful to optimize the instances for memory in Render Settings. The textures use quite a few maps and use displacement with SubD of 3 and 4. The textures look great, though. The forum image compression doesn't show them to their best advantage here.

Where did you get this? Great idea with the Cross Figure tools, I never thought of using that just as convenience for my own conversions.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,462
    barbult said:

Hip Hop Outfit for Genesis 3 Male(s)

Might as well add the new Hip Hop pants, even though they are not "jeans" exactly. This is one of the most jeans-like of the included textures. The fly area looks strangely shaded to me. The shading looks like the left side (as we view it in the render) is on top, not the right side where the button hole should be - know what I mean? On the unshaded modeled item, it looks like the the button hole side is on top, although the left and right sides of the pants front just butt together with no overlap in the waistband. The waistband, fly area and botton have nice thickness modeled in, but the belt loops don't.

I bought this for the sneakers and the ball cap and that's it. I know what to expect from the vendor. It might get returned if the sneakers and ball cap don't actually hold up. The rest of it is throw-away IMO.

• barbult said:

Where did you get this? Great idea with the Cross Figure tools, I never thought of using that just as convenience for my own conversions.

it's over on renderosity.

• I really enjoy the look of Samsil's clothes over at Renderosity. At least they are loose fitting and look like clothes actual men would wear. I've not seen any man over the age of 18 wear skinny jeans. With so little options in men's clothing, quality and versatility is extremely important. The draping in women's clothing is only just started to look good, I hope to see more quality draping in men's clothing, but I doubt it.