Please make better jeans/pants for men

Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,582
edited January 2017 in The Commons

The outfits for men are falling behind the curve on realism and often the pants in particular are looking unrealistic. The last two sets for men just don't look real and have awkward looking parts.   

It concerns me because there are so few clothing sets  for men and I would buy sets which have more realistic pants.

Are jeans and pants particularly difficult to model?

14 dollars is too expensive as well for this outfit in the store today.

Post edited by Serene Night on

Comments

• DaikatanaDaikatana Posts: 828

The outfits for men are falling behind the curve on realism and often the pants in particular are looking unrealistic. The last two sets for men just don't look real and have awkward looking parts.    It concerns me because there are so few clothing sets  for men and I would buy sets which have more realistic pants.

I would add my voice to this one. 

• NadinoNadino Posts: 258

We may be in the minority - but I'm glad someone said something and I stand with you on this one. :)

• I agree. But I think it's a matter of it being eaiser to model skintight/painted on pants, than making something that's loose fitting and looks realistic. But then, what do I know, I can only make simple objects, clothing is still beyond me.

• cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409

+1

These men look like they never tried to move with these jeans.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,951

I want more men's clothing for my male figures.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,682

The outfits for men are falling behind the curve on realism and often the pants in particular are looking unrealistic. The last two sets for men just don't look real and have awkward looking parts.   

It concerns me because there are so few clothing sets  for men and I would buy sets which have more realistic pants.

14 dollars is too expensive as well for this outfit. 

Agreed. I don't buy much mens clothing, but quality is the key to a purchase from me when I do.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,153

I really dislike the skin-tight look as well. So far the nicest jeans I have for a male figure was made for Genesis. That's unfortunate.

Laurie

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,302
    The limited offerings for male clothing and hair has kept me embracing G3M. The clothing models I think look the best are for older figures, so I just keep using them.
  • I was thinking that pants have been looking better lately.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,869

I haven't bought clothing that is up to the quality of Nomad in what seems like forever. Go Luthbellina! Spray on pants- so tired of it. For men and women. Putting a few wrinkles here and there and skin tight everywhere else just doesn't cut it. Another good vendor is IH Kang. Look at how nice the hem of the pants flows along the shoe, and even though a lot of the jean's leg is smooth, the wrinkles and folds are fluid and there is "give" in the knee to the ankle portion. 

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,929

The problem is that skintight is way easier.

AllenArt said:

I really dislike the skin-tight look as well. So far the nicest jeans I have for a male figure was made for Genesis. That's unfortunate.

Laurie

@Allenart  Look at Nomad, linked above, and see what you think. I personally love those pants!

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,336

Another option is to use DS Dynamic pants, there are a number of them in the store and the wrinkles look much more natural, and will change with the pose, unlike "build in" wrinkles that stay the same regardless of the pose. Below is an example of dynamic jeans using one of the freebies on the Optitex site

G2MDynamicClothes01.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 83K

Not sure where you got the jeans from but I don't see any, not even for M4 othe than the cargo pants and a couple shapeless ones.

Laurie

edited January 2017

The Nomad pants have more of a pronounced crotch, I prefer the IH Kang in that area, it's a bit more subdued. But the material appears more rugged in Nomad, so it makes sense the crotch is a bit more obvious.

liamRobertPants.png
    527 x 853 - 661K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,295

I think you're right - and I'd actually argue that the clothes in general, for both sexes, are falling behind. Some of the PAs are putting out some highly unrealistic clothing ...still. A few of them are getting better but I've been just baffled at some of the clothes released in the past few weeks and months that still look so plastic and unrealistic. Even the most tight clothes have wrinkles - but it's funny that even some of the loose fitting clothes being released are still almost wrinkle and crease free. Those clothes look like "toon wear", and are not keeping up with the more and more realistic characters and environments and aren't even keeping up with the more realistic looking hair. 

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,682

Even though I don't render males much, I feel I am pretty well covered in the pants area for now. Casualwear dress pants for M4 autofitted, GF2 horror survivors tight jeans autofitted, streetweat jeans for genesis autofitted, and Smays tactical pants. Now shoes are something I need more than pants, LOL.

Buying virtual clothes is just like in real life. You buy a bunch of clothes and the ones that fit just right you wear the crap out of them, LOL.

malepants.jpg
    1268 x 865 - 1013K
  • Here, Here! Better quality and more variety for men's clothing.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,582

Painted on pockets, wrinkles and belt details and buttons really don't look good. Even sims has better clothing in some ways than what is sold for men.

Pants need seams and real details. They need to look good without the accompanying top... many men's pants have no waist detail because the outfit is meant to cover the waist.

edited January 2017

I did just get this set about a week ago or so and they ARE very nices clothes (I nearly forgot) ;). Then again you can rarely go wrong with Luthbel OR Luthbellina ;).

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • The g2 version of those pretty much my go-to casual pants for guys. the g3 version is on my wishlist. pretty much everything that vendor makes is gorgeous.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631

I think you're right - and I'd actually argue that the clothes in general, for both sexes, are falling behind. Some of the PAs are putting out some highly unrealistic clothing ...still. A few of them are getting better but I've been just baffled at some of the clothes released in the past few weeks and months that still look so plastic and unrealistic. Even the most tight clothes have wrinkles - but it's funny that even some of the loose fitting clothes being released are still almost wrinkle and crease free. Those clothes look like "toon wear", and are not keeping up with the more and more realistic characters and environments and aren't even keeping up with the more realistic looking hair. 

It's probably not going to get better.  Only the Gen 4's were as hard to rig for as Genesis 3, especially in the crotch/frontal area where there have to be overlapping JCMs.

• Those look outstanding! I have no idea how I missed them...

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,295
    edited January 2017

It's probably not going to get better.  Only the Gen 4's were as hard to rig for as Genesis 3, especially in the crotch/frontal area where there have to be overlapping JCMs.

Well I have seen a few good clothing items that look pretty realistic. So I know it can be done. Like, to me, this shirt looks pretty darn good:

These jeans and shirt look pretty darn good to me:

So it looks like it can be done. It's just not done very often IMO. 

But if it's rigging that is keeping more PAs from doing more realistic clothing, then here's hoping that Gesesis 4 will be easier to rig. Hopefully we'll find out this June. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • HavosHavos Posts: 5,336
    AllenArt said:

Not sure where you got the jeans from but I don't see any, not even for M4 othe than the cargo pants and a couple shapeless ones.

Laurie

They are the ones for Luke 3, the advantage of dynamic clothing is that they are easy to fit to any figure, which in my case was G2M.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,582
    edited January 2017

I am sure that making pants are hard for some PA's. Ultimately though, buyers want realism, and if the pants don't look good people won't buy them, regardless of whether they are hard to make unless they are super cheap and the pants trigger a sale or there is something that can be kitbashed in the set.

There are some pa's who do make nice pants though. Many  have been cited, and I will add Smay as making nice pants- and not just jeans like a lot do. Smay's pants are varied and quite interesting.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • NadinoNadino Posts: 258

I agree, it is really a difficult area to work with. But it has to get better in general. Some creators are already doing the work.

And I think it's unfair to price things that appear to be slapped together on the same tier as those creations that are properly optimized.
    By optimized I mean the creation should have clean topology and uvs, reinforced wrinkles, finished hems, proper rigging and contain the "special" JCMs, MCMs, and correct character fits, etc.

It's not much to ask for, like I said, some creators are already doing it.

Havos said:
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

They are the ones for Luke 3, the advantage of dynamic clothing is that they are easy to fit to any figure, which in my case was G2M.

Thanks. Found them! :)

Laurie

• For me versatility is just as important, if not more so. Several PA's make jeans/pants but, in my opinion, I have found some of them lacking. They may look good, but are just 'static' fits.

SickleYield has commented about the difficulty of rigging, yet I feel her jeans are some of the best, and come loaded with various fitting and movement morphs, making them so versatile.

smiley