Please make better jeans/pants for men

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,550
    edited January 2017

Slacker Outfit for Genesis 3 Male(s)

Unusual stripe texture in the demim. Low back pockets. No opening in the waistband at the fly. How does he get these on and off? Strange V-shaped dip in the back waist. Waist will have to be covered by a shirt.

Slacker Outfit Jeans for G3M.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited January 2017

Everyday Casual Outfit for Genesis 3 Male(s)

Darker than most. Unusual pocket treatment with button.

Everyday Casual Jeans for G3M.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 1M
    edited January 2017

Casual Winter Outfit for Genesis 3 Male(s)

The texture is from Casual Winter Textures. Very simple pants. Not really jeans. These have no pockets. There is a strange V shape in the texture in the back between crotch and waist.

G3M Casual Winter for G3M.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 1M
    edited January 2017

Traveler for Genesis 3 Male(s)

This is from the newes PC+ product that many of us have had issues with. There doesn't seem to be a fly in these pants. There is a center seam and a button on the waistband, but no apparent opening for puting them on/off. The pants have a WrinklesHD morph, but when I used it, there was pokethrough in the pelvis area. I had to use Wear Them All bulge fixers in a negative direction to fix that poke through. It's pretty disappointing when the product's own morphs cause problems like that.

G3M Traveler Wear Them All Bulge Fixer for poke through.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,682

I buy from both stores and competition is healthy in my opinion. I like buying here but if I can get good value elsewhere I'll definitely do that. I will support good vendors wherever they choose to sell as long as I can afford their items.

I agree! I am always a bit dissapointed when a vendor I like from another store starts selling here. The more stores the better IMO. For those that use and rely on DIM to install products should really pay attanetion to file structure and paths so that they don't have to rely on DIM. I install everything manually so don't have any issues with non DAZ products.

Thanks for the images barbult. Other than what I already have that I posted earlier I am not too impressed with style of any of the other jeans you posted, but I do like the hoodie outfit ones (other than the color) since they fit pretty close to the jeans I wear. Will have to get this product soon.

OK, I'm done for now. So, which would you spend money on?

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,869

barbult said:

Those are really bad at the waist. They didn't increase the thickness and they look like a thin shell. No hem, seams, nada. And they ride up the hiney in a supreme wedgie. 

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,869
    edited January 2017

Well, I'm sure I own all of them, so it's a mute point on what I'd buy. But I think Streetwear Jeans, Bad Guy, Cowboy.

Thanks for showing them. I've showcased some of them before but not in one place, and it's great to see all of them together. Very thoughtful!

BTW, Slacker is spelled wrong in your title. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

It's almost like MOST jeans/pants in the store, are designed to go with a shirt/jacket that covers the top of the pants. So the detail is made in the legs instead - detail at the waist is completely forgotten cos it won't be seen due to the shirt or jacket. Kinda slack. 

Absolutely the Streetwear jeans, without a doubt. A couple of the others you posted looked not bad....but nowhere near as good as those. A LOT of them were terrible.  

barbult said:

OK, I'm done for now. So, which would you spend money on?

Oh! I thought of another pair of jeans for the guys in the store. OOT's "Daily Casuals Mega Wardrobe" http://www.daz3d.com/daily-casuals-mega-wardrobe-for-genesis-3-male-s

I've used those a couple of times. I like you can turn them into 4 different lengths. 

Novica said:

Well, I'm sure I own all of them, so it's a mute point on what I'd buy. But I think Streetwear Jeans, Bad Guy, Cowboy.

Thanks for showing them. I've showcased some of them before but not in one place, and it's great to see all of them together. Very thoughtful!

BTW, Slacker is spelled wrong in your title. 

Thank you for pointing out the error. I've fixed it. Let me know if you see more issues.

jakiblue said:

Oh! I thought of another pair of jeans for the guys in the store. OOT's "Daily Casuals Mega Wardrobe" http://www.daz3d.com/daily-casuals-mega-wardrobe-for-genesis-3-male-s

I've used those a couple of times. I like you can turn them into 4 different lengths. 

I don't have those. I'll put them in the wish list.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

I have all but two of the products, (though not the Sustainable texures for Casual Style for G3M.) Those two are Streetwear Jeans for Genesis, which I have now wishlisted, and Urban Metro Outfit for Genesis 2 Male(s) which I didn't like when they came out. I still don't like them! lol

I have OOT's Daily Casuals Mega Wardrobe, too. That was a good investment.

For those who may be curious about the Streetwear Jeans for Genesis: http://www.daz3d.com/streetwear-jeans-for-genesis

These are a straight auto fit in DS to G3F (Olympia 7). I didn't fiddle with any morphs to get them to fit - it was a perfect auto fit. I used the 3delight included texture and didn't convert to iray or play with surface setttings at all. No postwork - just lights and HDR. This is why I use these jeans the most on my G3's. 

Click for full view. 

jeanstest.jpg
    600 x 1200 - 251K
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,582

It is interesting to me that the two best (in my opinion) are bad guy and streetwear are also some of the oldest ones not designed for Iray. Maybe those pa's so should do updated versions for gen 3. I would buy them.

It is too bad more recent outfits are looking so unrealistic though. 

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,172

I think I'd vote for Bad Guy..the displacement based wrinkles on that look great,thanks for the nod guys :)

edited January 2017

Ok, these are OOT's superjeans: http://www.daz3d.com/daily-casuals-mega-wardrobe-for-genesis-3-male-s

They do have quite a few good morphs INCLUDING a bulge morph. Open the waistband etc, loose fit, tapered fit etc. Plus you can make them into 4 different lengths. I do like these jeans, although I'm not particularly keen on the textures. But for the included morphs and different styles, and the fact that are pretty decent jeans, they are worth the price. 

No postwork other than text, on default Michael 7. 

OotJeans.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 646K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    jakiblue said:

Ok, these are OOT's superjeans: http://www.daz3d.com/daily-casuals-mega-wardrobe-for-genesis-3-male-s

They do have quite a few good morphs INCLUDING a bulge morph. Open the waistband etc, loose fit, tapered fit etc. Plus you can make them into 4 different lengths. I do like these jeans, although I'm not particularly keen on the textures. But for the included morphs and different styles, and the fact that are pretty decent jeans, they are worth the price. 

No postwork other than text, on default Michael 7. 

All the wrinkles look flat and painted on. Are there any displacement settings, normal maps, or wrinkle morphs included?

Another REALLY good pair of pants (not necessarily jeans) are Smay's Tactical Pants for G3M. http://www.daz3d.com/tactical-pants-for-genesis-3-male-s

I think these are quite excellent and they fit to G3F really well too. You can have the pockets on or off, and they have morphs to tuck into Smay's tactical boots, or an "under boots universal" which will work with other boots. There is a morph to fit the Tactical gun holster on his thigh too. The only morph I used here, was the "loose waist" one that I went negative with as I felt the waist was a little too wide. I had it at -0.16 so not much at all. The textures are good too - there are 9 colours. The fly button/clip would be behind that flap on his waist - an interesting design!

Again, no postwork so you can really get a good idea of hte pants. 

SmayTacticalPants.jpg
    600 x 1200 - 248K

I think I'd vote for Bad Guy..the displacement based wrinkles on that look great,thanks for the nod guys :)

Yes, they look nice, but displacement is very inefficient in Iray. I had to bump SubD to 4 to get that detail. It is a good thing I didn't have much else in the scene (one G3M and two instances). Not much else would have fit in my 6 GB graphics card. I much prefer modeled or morphed wrinkles.

We sure hope to see Streetwear return to the store with some new items.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,582
    edited January 2017

Tactical pants have a lot of detail but I tend to find they make the hips look a bit femininely wide especially with the belt. I usually have to dial the models hip size down when my character wears them for some odd reason. They look designed a bit for female characters

I do really like the Russian pants though.

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited January 2017

Looking in the texture folder: there are two normal maps. One has the details of the pockets etc, but no wrinkles/folds.(the other one is for the shirt, I believe) There are bump maps, but no displacement (am I wrong in thinking that displacement doesn't work correctly with iray?? where did i read that?).

The textures themselves of the jeans DO have the wrinkles/folds painted on. They are not straight denim textures. (I don't think I am allowed to show a screenshot of the texture.jpg itself to show you?) 

edit: there is a "folds" morph but to be honest, I can't see much difference when it's on or off. It MAY be the darker texture where I used it tho. 

barbult said:
    jakiblue said:

All the wrinkles look flat and painted on. Are there any displacement settings, normal maps, or wrinkle morphs included?

Post edited by jakiblue on
    jakiblue said:

Looking in the texture folder: there are two normal maps. One has the details of the pockets etc, but no wrinkles/folds.(the other one is for the shirt, I believe) There are bump maps, but no displacement (am I wrong in thinking that displacement doesn't work correctly with iray?? where did i read that?).

The textures themselves of the jeans DO have the wrinkles/folds painted on. They are not straight denim textures. (I don't think I am allowed to show a screenshot of the texture.jpg itself to show you?) 

edit: there is a "folds" morph but to be honest, I can't see much difference when it's on or off. It MAY be the darker texture where I used it tho. 

barbult said:
    jakiblue said:

Displacement is very inefficient in Iray. It works differently than in 3Delight. The mesh has to be very high poly to get any detail of the displacement to show. This usually means you have to crank subD way up, which uses a lot of memory.

I have the Russian pants too and really like them but they stop at the knee as they are designed to go with the included boots. You can't really use them on their own unless you want jodhpurs :D

The tactical pants do seem to be a bit wider in teh waist, which is why I turn the "loose waist" morph down a bit.  

Tactical pants have a lot of detail but I tend to find they make the hips look a bit femininely wide especially with the belt. I usually have to dial the models hip size down when my character wears them for some odd reason. They look designed a bit for female characters

I do really like the Russian pants though.

AHA! Well that explains the problems I've had with one of the textures for aery soul's fantasy bikini outfit.  

barbult said:
    jakiblue said:

barbult said:
    jakiblue said:

Displacement is very inefficient in Iray. It works differently than in 3Delight. The mesh has to be very high poly to get any detail of the displacement to show. This usually means you have to crank subD way up, which uses a lot of memory.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,828

Wow, barbult - so much work you did. Thanks for showcasing so many! And thanks to you too jakiblue. My wishlist has expanded once again.

• MendomanMendoman Posts: 403
    edited January 2017

I don't have that many pair of jeans, so can't do any comparisons, but I think these are pretty good and easily my best pair of jeans: http://www.daz3d.com/chilled-out-outfit-for-genesis-3-male-s. Jeans don't have any open/movement morphs, but decent amount of fitting morphs to get them to fit for different characters. There's little strecthing in mesh and textures in extreme cases, but I don't blame the artist in this case cheeky Jeans have 2 different materials for both 3Delight and Iray.

Models are Michael 7 and George. Both have genital bulge morph dialed to 50-100%, nothing else.

chilled_out_jeans.png
    1199 x 1697 - 2M
    Post edited by Mendoman on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,990
    edited January 2017

Well I would buy the the Stonemason jeans but I am satisfied with G3M Causual Style and the Constuction Worker I already have since I don't render using jeans that often. The Stonemason ones have been wishlisted.

Smay's Cargo/Tactical pants looks somewhat feminine at the hips I think because real life ones do, at least I think so, almost look like jodhpurs with only a quick glance.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

The streetwear seem the most believable.

When I'm looking at the images, i look down at what im wearing, and those are the only ones close.