Older, on sale Polish Photography Studio Bundle (I used Studio 3) Iray Window Lights (Be careful with this one. It tries to load the prop set as a scene and wipe out your work if you are not careful.)
In all the years I have played at this hobby, I have always envied those people who can capture lighting so well.
Iray Window Lights (Be careful with this one. It tries to load the prop set as a scene and wipe out your work if you are not careful.)
I have been looking for this for a long time! So, how do I keep from it trying to be a scene instead of a prop. I always hate things that do that.
Easiest and quickest is to save it as a scene subset, minus the tonemapper and environment nodes if you want to use your existing ones. Then you can merge it into a new scene.
For a start, the term Khrushchoba doesn't exist, at least my Russian fiancée has never heard of it, neither have any of her family. It's always been Khrushchevka. They lived in several over the years.
So, the asset itself......
The most glaring issue is the roof. Khrushchevkas never had pitched roofs. Always a flat roof with a parapet around the perimeter around 1m high. There would also be one or two lift motor rooms on the roof.
The wall textures just look too clean and uniform.
Windows - there's no opening vents and they're all backed off with the same blank panel. Same for the balcony doors.
Main doors - not rigged and again, too clean.
Drainpipes - copy and paste job, they're all the same.
The balconies aren't deep enough - they are usually around 1m deep and can acommodate a clothes horse and a few plastic chairs.
Overall, this may be acceptable as a background asset outside DoF, but IMO it needs a lot of work to make it usable for anything meaningful. Honestly, it looks like someone has taken a 20 year old 3d model and rehashed it by cleaning up texture files. Extremely disappointing for a "new" item. I'd have been seething if it had cost me more than a couple of dollars. Even more disappointing for me as I need Soviet era assets for a future project and I was so excited when I saw this for a decent price.
There would also be one or two lift motor rooms on the roof.
What I found when I was looking up Khrushchevkas was that they were permitted to rely solely on stair access as long as they were fewer than six stories, so I think it's valid for it to not have an elevator if it's one that never subsequently got upgraded.
I do like this set, but they're considerably larger buildings, and a more compact apartment block would have been a nice thing to have in the library, but the new set doesn't really seem to meet a suitable standard.
For a start, the term Khrushchoba doesn't exist, at least my Russian fiancée has never heard of it, neither have any of her family. It's always been Khrushchevka. They lived in several over the years.
Khrushchoba’ derives from the combination of Khrushchevka and trushchoba (slum).(See here and here).
The thumbnail for https://www.daz3d.com/soviet-khrushchoba--blue-angel seemed interesting, as despite being supposedly Soviet, there's similar enough apartment buildings in towns near me in the UK that I could see it being usable, but on closer inspection it seems... underwhelming. Looks like just an exterior with pretty low resolution textures, and I'm not even really sure that replacing the textures would make it worthwhile.
i have been to Russia and Ukraine and the building in the product is a really close match to what I saw. However all the ones I saw were decaying with broken brick work and crumbling concrete. Those textures look far too neat and perfect.
The thumbnail for https://www.daz3d.com/soviet-khrushchoba--blue-angel seemed interesting, as despite being supposedly Soviet, there's similar enough apartment buildings in towns near me in the UK that I could see it being usable, but on closer inspection it seems... underwhelming. Looks like just an exterior with pretty low resolution textures, and I'm not even really sure that replacing the textures would make it worthwhile.
i have been to Russia and Ukraine and the building in the product is a really close match to what I saw. However all the ones I saw were decaying with broken brick work and crumbling concrete. Those textures look far too neat and perfect.
I stumbled over this video a while ago, it's about a couple who live in one of those apartments. Quite nice actually.
Older, on sale Polish Photography Studio Bundle (I used Studio 3) Iray Window Lights (Be careful with this one. It tries to load the prop set as a scene and wipe out your work if you are not careful.)
In all the years I have played at this hobby, I have always envied those people who can capture lighting so well.
Iray Window Lights (Be careful with this one. It tries to load the prop set as a scene and wipe out your work if you are not careful.)
I have been looking for this for a long time! So, how do I keep from it trying to be a scene instead of a prop. I always hate things that do that.
Easiest and quickest is to save it as a scene subset, minus the tonemapper and environment nodes if you want to use your existing ones. Then you can merge it into a new scene.
Like this? So, I just have to save all the screens that I might want to use as subsets. Sure would have been easier if it just worked like a prop the way all my other backdrop screens do. Thanks
A very cute set of PJs with a wide range of textures from the straightforward to the saccharine. I just wish the cat-themed one didn't just come in pink (not that there's anything wrong with that, but in black would be perfect for my Gladys-based cat-loving goth girl)
Another slice of modern Japan from Xivon, this one clearly inspired by the area around Shibuya Station with its famous scramble crossing (it's not an exact match, but it's damn close). Unfortunately, just like the last one it looks like some signs have mirrored text. Why? With all the apparent attention to detail, how does that happen?
I guess this is meant mostly for background characters because it's missing details. A polo shirt generally has 2 or 3 buttons below the neck but this has a buttonless v-neck. On the pants, there is no fly (how does he pee?) and the belt buckle is just a square with no visible clasp.
Not quite as bad as the previous one I suppose (whichever number that was), but still, a set I should be interested in let down by poor textures: the chawanmushi looks greenish and oddly dry (it's a very loose custard and usually has a thin layer of broth on top that has separated out), the stuff I assume is supposed to be the liver pâté is somehow stringy, and the squid tentacles look...fecal. The chawanmushi also looks way out of proportion; the name comes from the fact that it is steamed and served in little covered bowls like teacups, but here is seems to hold about as much as the soup bowl.
The thumbnail for https://www.daz3d.com/soviet-khrushchoba--blue-angel seemed interesting, as despite being supposedly Soviet, there's similar enough apartment buildings in towns near me in the UK that I could see it being usable, but on closer inspection it seems... underwhelming. Looks like just an exterior with pretty low resolution textures, and I'm not even really sure that replacing the textures would make it worthwhile.
who already has it
is a lot of overlap between countries and architecture
To be entirely clear, while I said that the Khrushchoba set might be usable for some places near me in the UK, that's not to say that I think that things are completely interchangable.
This is a place I remember going past to get to a friend's house when I was younger, and... hey, with a brick texture swap, not entirely different.
However, definitely not exact, and while swapping out a single shader would be one thing, the less of the original product I need to replace because of quality, the less it adds up to buy a not-quite right product and the more it would just make sense for me to model something closer from scratch.
Seems I already have that and forgot about it.....
That's pretty much my usual story these days unless an item came out in the last few months... I'm pretty sure I could stop buying from DAZ completely and never need to order a new product, but I worry about whether they'd survive without my constant contributions.
A very cute set of PJs with a wide range of textures from the straightforward to the saccharine. I just wish the cat-themed one didn't just come in pink (not that there's anything wrong with that, but in black would be perfect for my Gladys-based cat-loving goth girl)
Another slice of modern Japan from Xivon, this one clearly inspired by the area around Shibuya Station with its famous scramble crossing (it's not an exact match, but it's damn close). Unfortunately, just like the last one it looks like some signs have mirrored text. Why? With all the apparent attention to detail, how does that happen?
I guess this is meant mostly for background characters because it's missing details. A polo shirt generally has 2 or 3 buttons below the neck but this has a buttonless v-neck. On the pants, there is no fly (how does he pee?) and the belt buckle is just a square with no visible clasp.
Not quite as bad as the previous one I suppose (whichever number that was), but still, a set I should be interested in let down by poor textures: the chawanmushi looks greenish and oddly dry (it's a very loose custard and usually has a thin layer of broth on top that has separated out), the stuff I assume is supposed to be the liver pâté is somehow stringy, and the squid tentacles look...fecal. The chawanmushi also looks way out of proportion; the name comes from the fact that it is steamed and served in little covered bowls like teacups, but here is seems to hold about as much as the soup bowl.
The reason for the signs could be that written Japanese can be read from right to left, depending on the particular use. When I was there, it was common for magazines to be read from right to left, with text on the pages following this. Signs could be either.
I have never seen Japanese characters written from right to left. Just like English, only Chinese can be written from right to left (in ancient times). So, Japanese kanji might possibly be written from right to left, but this is not a matter of left-right order; it's a complete mirror image, and absolutely wrong.
The reason for the signs could be that written Japanese can be read from right to left, depending on the particular use. When I was there, it was common for magazines to be read from right to left, with text on the pages following this. Signs could be either.
What I was taught in Japanese class long ago was that when it was written horizontally, it was usually written and read from left to right, but when written vertically (which is the way it was written historically) you wrote and read the columns from right to left and top to botton. I suppose that a single line of horizontal text written right to left could be considered as "vertical but with only one character per column" ;) A lot of stuff is still written vertically, but I've never seen a full paragraph of horizontal text written right to left.
In the case of this product some of the signs have the characters themselves reversed, not just written right to left, though.
Older, on sale Polish Photography Studio Bundle (I used Studio 3) Iray Window Lights (Be careful with this one. It tries to load the prop set as a scene and wipe out your work if you are not careful.)
In all the years I have played at this hobby, I have always envied those people who can capture lighting so well.
Iray Window Lights (Be careful with this one. It tries to load the prop set as a scene and wipe out your work if you are not careful.)
I have been looking for this for a long time! So, how do I keep from it trying to be a scene instead of a prop. I always hate things that do that.
Easiest and quickest is to save it as a scene subset, minus the tonemapper and environment nodes if you want to use your existing ones. Then you can merge it into a new scene.
@DoctorJellybean did you actually try that? I saved them as Scene Subset, but they still acted like a scene and asked if I wanted to save the scene before loading one of them. I finally gave up. If you got it working as Scene Subset, I'd like to know and I'll try again.
Easiest and quickest is to save it as a scene subset, minus the tonemapper and environment nodes if you want to use your existing ones. Then you can merge it into a new scene.
@DoctorJellybean did you actually try that? I saved them as Scene Subset, but they still acted like a scene and asked if I wanted to save the scene before loading one of them. I finally gave up. If you got it working as Scene Subset, I'd like to know and I'll try again.
I do that regulary when sets are scenes. I load it as a scene, save it as a scene subset. When I close the scene or opening a new one, I select No about saving it. I then load the scene I'm creating and merge the saved scene subset.
Older, on sale Polish Photography Studio Bundle (I used Studio 3) Iray Window Lights (Be careful with this one. It tries to load the prop set as a scene and wipe out your work if you are not careful.)
In all the years I have played at this hobby, I have always envied those people who can capture lighting so well.
Iray Window Lights (Be careful with this one. It tries to load the prop set as a scene and wipe out your work if you are not careful.)
I have been looking for this for a long time! So, how do I keep from it trying to be a scene instead of a prop. I always hate things that do that.
Easiest and quickest is to save it as a scene subset, minus the tonemapper and environment nodes if you want to use your existing ones. Then you can merge it into a new scene.
@DoctorJellybean did you actually try that? I saved them as Scene Subset, but they still acted like a scene and asked if I wanted to save the scene before loading one of them. I finally gave up. If you got it working as Scene Subset, I'd like to know and I'll try again.
What is the default 9bold) option if you right-click? The default action, which is what you get when you double-click, should be Open for a Sceen file and merge for a Scene Subset. The pop-up tooltip also tells you what sort of file DS thinks it is.
What is the default 9bold) option if you right-click? The default action, which is what you get when you double-click, should be Open for a Sceen file and merge for a Scene Subset. The pop-up tooltip also tells you what sort of file DS thinks it is.
There is no bold option when I right click on one of the files in the product, either in Smart Content or Content Library. I tried everything I know to fix these to act as a normal Set, where they can be double clicked and added to an existing scene. It just didn't work for me. I don't know why. I have never had this problem with Scene Subsets before. The file type is scene_subset. The metadata type is Set.
The screenshot (Smart Content) and test were done in DS6 Public Build.
Do you see something I have done wrong?
Easiest and quickest is to save it as a scene subset, minus the tonemapper and environment nodes if you want to use your existing ones. Then you can merge it into a new scene.
@DoctorJellybean did you actually try that? I saved them as Scene Subset, but they still acted like a scene and asked if I wanted to save the scene before loading one of them. I finally gave up. If you got it working as Scene Subset, I'd like to know and I'll try again.
I do that regulary when sets are scenes. I load it as a scene, save it as a scene subset. When I close the scene or opening a new one, I select No about saving it. I then load the scene I'm creating and merge the saved scene subset.
So do I. I'm asking if it worked for you with this particular product, Iray Window Lights. It is the first time I have ever had saving as a scene subset still behave like a regular scene and replace the existing scene with itself, when double clicked, instead of merging into the existing scene.
I do that regulary when sets are scenes. I load it as a scene, save it as a scene subset. When I close the scene or opening a new one, I select No about saving it. I then load the scene I'm creating and merge the saved scene subset.
So do I. I'm asking if it worked for you with this particular product, Iray Window Lights. It is the first time I have ever had saving as a scene subset still behave like a regular scene and replace the existing scene with itself, when double clicked, instead of merging into the existing scene.
I do that regulary when sets are scenes. I load it as a scene, save it as a scene subset. When I close the scene or opening a new one, I select No about saving it. I then load the scene I'm creating and merge the saved scene subset.
So do I. I'm asking if it worked for you with this particular product, Iray Window Lights. It is the first time I have ever had saving as a scene subset still behave like a regular scene and replace the existing scene with itself, when double clicked, instead of merging into the existing scene.
I've just tried it, no problem. It is in DS6.
Thanks for the confirmation, I must be doing something wrong this time. Maybe it won't act right because I replaced the original with my saved Scene Subset. I'll have to try again.
Edit: So, I saved each one as a scene subset again, but this time I gave them a name different than the original file and saved them in a different content library folder. Now, they work fine. I even dragged them into the KA product. I gave them meta data like I did before, so they show up in Smart Content. Everything works fine, like normal.
I do that regulary when sets are scenes. I load it as a scene, save it as a scene subset. When I close the scene or opening a new one, I select No about saving it. I then load the scene I'm creating and merge the saved scene subset.
So do I. I'm asking if it worked for you with this particular product, Iray Window Lights. It is the first time I have ever had saving as a scene subset still behave like a regular scene and replace the existing scene with itself, when double clicked, instead of merging into the existing scene.
I've just tried it, no problem. It is in DS6.
Thanks for the confirmation, I must be doing something wrong this time. Maybe it won't act right because I replaced the original with my saved Scene Subset. I'll have to try again.
Edit: So, I saved each one as a scene subset again, but this time I gave them a name different than the original file and saved them in a different content library folder. Now, they work fine. I even dragged them into the KA product. I gave them meta data like I did before, so they show up in Smart Content. Everything works fine, like normal.
Saving over the existing Scene files may not have updated the emtadata properly, especially as it would have been vendor metadata rather than user.
Another slice of modern Japan from Xivon, this one clearly inspired by the area around Shibuya Station with its famous scramble crossing (it's not an exact match, but it's damn close). Unfortunately, just like the last one it looks like some signs have mirrored text. Why? With all the apparent attention to detail, how does that happen?
The reason for the signs could be that written Japanese can be read from right to left, depending on the particular use. When I was there, it was common for magazines to be read from right to left, with text on the pages following this. Signs could be either.
You're a little confused. The pages of Japanese books and magazines are in the opposite order to Western books (spine on the right instead of spine on the left), but Japanese text is never written right-to-left, like Arabic or Hebrew. When it's written horizontally, it's written left to right. When it's written vertically (which is more traditional), it is written top to bottom, and the columns of text (equivalent to whole lines in horizontal text) go right to left. And in neither case are the characters themselves flipped backwards. The only languages I know of that ever did that are Egyptian hieroglyphics and (sometimes) ancient Greek.
I do that regulary when sets are scenes. I load it as a scene, save it as a scene subset. When I close the scene or opening a new one, I select No about saving it. I then load the scene I'm creating and merge the saved scene subset.
So do I. I'm asking if it worked for you with this particular product, Iray Window Lights. It is the first time I have ever had saving as a scene subset still behave like a regular scene and replace the existing scene with itself, when double clicked, instead of merging into the existing scene.
I've just tried it, no problem. It is in DS6.
Thanks for the confirmation, I must be doing something wrong this time. Maybe it won't act right because I replaced the original with my saved Scene Subset. I'll have to try again.
Edit: So, I saved each one as a scene subset again, but this time I gave them a name different than the original file and saved them in a different content library folder. Now, they work fine. I even dragged them into the KA product. I gave them meta data like I did before, so they show up in Smart Content. Everything works fine, like normal.
Saving over the existing Scene files may not have updated the emtadata properly, especially as it would have been vendor metadata rather than user.
That must be it, because I compared the previous and current scene subset duf files, and there is no difference that could explain a difference in behavior. (difference in id because of different name and save location, difference in modify date). I don't like Daz Studio acting like it needs to save me from myself on my own computer.
Comments
Easiest and quickest is to save it as a scene subset, minus the tonemapper and environment nodes if you want to use your existing ones. Then you can merge it into a new scene.
OK, I picked this up, just to see what it's like. https://www.daz3d.com/soviet-khrushchoba--blue-angel
For a start, the term Khrushchoba doesn't exist, at least my Russian fiancée has never heard of it, neither have any of her family. It's always been Khrushchevka. They lived in several over the years.
So, the asset itself......
The most glaring issue is the roof. Khrushchevkas never had pitched roofs. Always a flat roof with a parapet around the perimeter around 1m high. There would also be one or two lift motor rooms on the roof.
The wall textures just look too clean and uniform.
Windows - there's no opening vents and they're all backed off with the same blank panel. Same for the balcony doors.
Main doors - not rigged and again, too clean.
Drainpipes - copy and paste job, they're all the same.
The balconies aren't deep enough - they are usually around 1m deep and can acommodate a clothes horse and a few plastic chairs.
Overall, this may be acceptable as a background asset outside DoF, but IMO it needs a lot of work to make it usable for anything meaningful. Honestly, it looks like someone has taken a 20 year old 3d model and rehashed it by cleaning up texture files. Extremely disappointing for a "new" item. I'd have been seething if it had cost me more than a couple of dollars. Even more disappointing for me as I need Soviet era assets for a future project and I was so excited when I saw this for a decent price.
you may find this better
https://www.daz3d.com/urban-living_KindredArts
What I found when I was looking up Khrushchevkas was that they were permitted to rely solely on stair access as long as they were fewer than six stories, so I think it's valid for it to not have an elevator if it's one that never subsequently got upgraded.
I do like this set, but they're considerably larger buildings, and a more compact apartment block would have been a nice thing to have in the library, but the new set doesn't really seem to meet a suitable standard.
Khrushchoba’ derives from the combination of Khrushchevka and trushchoba (slum).(See here and here).
i have been to Russia and Ukraine and the building in the product is a really close match to what I saw. However all the ones I saw were decaying with broken brick work and crumbling concrete. Those textures look far too neat and perfect.
Seems I already have that and forgot about it.....
I stumbled over this video a while ago, it's about a couple who live in one of those apartments. Quite nice actually.
looks more like London flats to me.
Like this? So, I just have to save all the screens that I might want to use as subsets. Sure would have been easier if it just worked like a prop the way all my other backdrop screens do. Thanks
dForce MS Classic Sleepwear Set for Genesis 9 and 8 Female
A very cute set of PJs with a wide range of textures from the straightforward to the saccharine. I just wish the cat-themed one didn't just come in pink (not that there's anything wrong with that, but in black would be perfect for my Gladys-based cat-loving goth girl)
XI Busy Crossing
Another slice of modern Japan from Xivon, this one clearly inspired by the area around Shibuya Station with its famous scramble crossing (it's not an exact match, but it's damn close). Unfortunately, just like the last one it looks like some signs have mirrored text. Why? With all the apparent attention to detail, how does that happen?
dForce MS Everyday Polo Outfit for Genesis 9 and 8 Male
I guess this is meant mostly for background characters because it's missing details. A polo shirt generally has 2 or 3 buttons below the neck but this has a buttonless v-neck. On the pants, there is no fly (how does he pee?) and the belt buckle is just a square with no visible clasp.
Japanese Food Collection Volume 5
Not quite as bad as the previous one I suppose (whichever number that was), but still, a set I should be interested in let down by poor textures: the chawanmushi looks greenish and oddly dry (it's a very loose custard and usually has a thin layer of broth on top that has separated out), the stuff I assume is supposed to be the liver pâté is somehow stringy, and the squid tentacles look...fecal. The chawanmushi also looks way out of proportion; the name comes from the fact that it is steamed and served in little covered bowls like teacups, but here is seems to hold about as much as the soup bowl.
who already has it
is a lot of overlap between countries and architecture
To be entirely clear, while I said that the Khrushchoba set might be usable for some places near me in the UK, that's not to say that I think that things are completely interchangable.
This is a place I remember going past to get to a friend's house when I was younger, and... hey, with a brick texture swap, not entirely different.
However, definitely not exact, and while swapping out a single shader would be one thing, the less of the original product I need to replace because of quality, the less it adds up to buy a not-quite right product and the more it would just make sense for me to model something closer from scratch.
That's pretty much my usual story these days unless an item came out in the last few months... I'm pretty sure I could stop buying from DAZ completely and never need to order a new product, but I worry about whether they'd survive without my constant contributions.
The reason for the signs could be that written Japanese can be read from right to left, depending on the particular use. When I was there, it was common for magazines to be read from right to left, with text on the pages following this. Signs could be either.
I have never seen Japanese characters written from right to left. Just like English, only Chinese can be written from right to left (in ancient times). So, Japanese kanji might possibly be written from right to left, but this is not a matter of left-right order; it's a complete mirror image, and absolutely wrong.
I agree. These lights are giving really nice shadows
https://www.daz3d.com/iray-window-lights
Another masterpiece created by KindredArts.
Also used:
https://www.daz3d.com/raw-deals-nyxii--robot-girl-for-genesis-9
and
https://www.daz3d.com/xi-sushi-restaurant
What I was taught in Japanese class long ago was that when it was written horizontally, it was usually written and read from left to right, but when written vertically (which is the way it was written historically) you wrote and read the columns from right to left and top to botton. I suppose that a single line of horizontal text written right to left could be considered as "vertical but with only one character per column" ;) A lot of stuff is still written vertically, but I've never seen a full paragraph of horizontal text written right to left.
In the case of this product some of the signs have the characters themselves reversed, not just written right to left, though.
what are the exciting new releases from today? I like the robt/android from RawART ... https://www.daz3d.com/raw-deals-nyxii--robot-girl-for-genesis-9
and at very low cost.
@DoctorJellybean did you actually try that? I saved them as Scene Subset, but they still acted like a scene and asked if I wanted to save the scene before loading one of them. I finally gave up. If you got it working as Scene Subset, I'd like to know and I'll try again.
I do that regulary when sets are scenes. I load it as a scene, save it as a scene subset. When I close the scene or opening a new one, I select No about saving it. I then load the scene I'm creating and merge the saved scene subset.
What is the default 9bold) option if you right-click? The default action, which is what you get when you double-click, should be Open for a Sceen file and merge for a Scene Subset. The pop-up tooltip also tells you what sort of file DS thinks it is.
There is no bold option when I right click on one of the files in the product, either in Smart Content or Content Library. I tried everything I know to fix these to act as a normal Set, where they can be double clicked and added to an existing scene. It just didn't work for me. I don't know why. I have never had this problem with Scene Subsets before. The file type is scene_subset. The metadata type is Set.
The screenshot (Smart Content) and test were done in DS6 Public Build.
Do you see something I have done wrong?
So do I. I'm asking if it worked for you with this particular product, Iray Window Lights. It is the first time I have ever had saving as a scene subset still behave like a regular scene and replace the existing scene with itself, when double clicked, instead of merging into the existing scene.
I've just tried it, no problem. It is in DS6.
Thanks for the confirmation, I must be doing something wrong this time. Maybe it won't act right because I replaced the original with my saved Scene Subset. I'll have to try again.
Edit: So, I saved each one as a scene subset again, but this time I gave them a name different than the original file and saved them in a different content library folder. Now, they work fine. I even dragged them into the KA product. I gave them meta data like I did before, so they show up in Smart Content. Everything works fine, like normal.
Saving over the existing Scene files may not have updated the emtadata properly, especially as it would have been vendor metadata rather than user.
You're a little confused. The pages of Japanese books and magazines are in the opposite order to Western books (spine on the right instead of spine on the left), but Japanese text is never written right-to-left, like Arabic or Hebrew. When it's written horizontally, it's written left to right. When it's written vertically (which is more traditional), it is written top to bottom, and the columns of text (equivalent to whole lines in horizontal text) go right to left. And in neither case are the characters themselves flipped backwards. The only languages I know of that ever did that are Egyptian hieroglyphics and (sometimes) ancient Greek.
So no, that doesn't explain anything here.
MS\Windows has been doing that for years.