Diomede's Notepad, Sketchpad, and Chilling Pad

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited December 2022

Import Skirt OBJ to Daz Studio

- Open Daz Studio, load the G9 Development Figure, and Dial to Victoria 9 (don't change V9 proportion dial)

- Import the saved skirt OBJ exported from Marvelous Designer

- In import settings, make sure scale is Daz Studio (or consistent with whatever you used exporting from MD)

- Yay, my skirt OBJ loads to fit the G9 shape for Victoria 9 (not proportion changed)

061 back in studio import skirt.jpg
    1105 x 942 - 154K
    062 import skirt settings make sure daz studio scale.jpg
    1059 x 815 - 113K
    063 see it fits.jpg
    620 x 501 - 55K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219

Wow. Very cool!

Thanks!

edited December 2022

Use Transfer Utility to Rig Skirt

- Select G9 development figure before bringing up transfer utility so can use templates (note - my G9 texture changed in picture, ignore)

- Bring up transfer utility (Edit Object Transfer Utility)

- G9 as 'source' and skirt OBJ as 'target'

- For this skirt OBJ, I am going to try a loose dress template

- Use Reverse Source Shape to Target because the G9 Figure is morphed, not in base shape

- In this result, the skirt is rigged and parented to G9.  Might be better to uncheck the parent option.

065 with g9 selected try long loose dress template.jpg
    1167 x 726 - 128K
    066 transfer utility reverse to target and shapes current both g9 and skirt.jpg
    1329 x 908 - 181K
    067 transfer result skirt is now a conformer and parented to g9.jpg
    1270 x 930 - 146K
    edited December 2022

Skipped Refinement Steps

- At this point, you might want to check for distortion of the skirt, especially in the front middle, and smooth out in a modeling program.

- Weightmap editing

- Creating joint control morphs

- I am skipping such refinements for now.  May provide a screenshot demonstration of refinements later

edited December 2022

Some Basic Adjustments

- convert to SubD.  Under edit object, choose convert to subd.

- Smoothing.  Under edit object, add a smoothing modifier.  Can choose base shape or basic, and choose number of smoothing steps

071 with skirt selected convert to subd.jpg
    1785 x 848 - 254K
    072 edit geometry add smoothing modifier.jpg
    1785 x 917 - 267K
    edited December 2022

DForce Testing

- Select the skirt figure

- In simulation pane, use menu to create a DForce Dynamic Surface

- Recall that a separate fabric was created for the waistband, in Studio this will be a different zone in the surfaces tab

- Select the surface for the waistband/belt and reduce dynamic effect.  For this example I set to 0 to focus on the skirt

- purely optional but I decided to set the skirt dynamic surface to point 9.

- And here is the result of a DForce drape and can see the skirt drapes inward and straightens out some, and the folds look generally better.

073 add dforce dynamic surface.jpg
    1386 x 894 - 185K
    074 set belt dynamic to zero.jpg
    1250 x 879 - 198K
    076 result of default stand dforce drape.jpg
    1498 x 829 - 199K
    edited December 2022

Testing with Poses and Morphs

- Here are some DForce tests with the figure posed and morphed and a pattern applied to the skirt

- Test with Victoria raise leg

- Test with a V9 at 0, then dial up mix of male and monster raise leg and new DForce

- test of quality of UVMap by applying a pattern texture, pretty good, the pattern does not seem distorted by the folds or the pose

077 result dforce drape bend leg.jpg
    1227 x 879 - 157K
    080 dforce drape on g9 morphed monster.jpg
    843 x 935 - 118K
    082 ao abstract fabric applied.jpg
    1375 x 748 - 187K

TEST FINISHED

- please let me know if I have any errors

- please let me know if there is something that could be done a better way

- please let me know if there is another topic that a screenshot tutorial would be good for a supplement to various videos

edited April 2023

Pleasant Surprise -

Received an Honorable Mention in the 54th Bryce Challenge - theme Majestic Animals

My entry was a majestic mammoth.

Much appreciation to the good people in the Bryce forum who keep that gem of a program alive and thriving.

Dio No AI Render Hub Composite 01.png
    1600 x 1600 - 757K
    edited December 2022

Bohemian3's workflow of G9-> Marvelous Designer -> Daz Rigging (with a couple cycles for morphs)

Screenshot 2022-12-06 172123.jpg
    1445 x 921 - 123K

Jay Versluis on separate morphs for body and head from full body morphs.

On Smoothing Weightmaps - this thread has a comment by SickleYield I want to refer to later.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53538/way-for-smoothing-weight-map-about-many-bones-snake-at-once-solved

Majestic Mammoth is a gorgeous render! Congrats!

Had to pop in and let you know that I got Mely3D's Abandoned District finally!

I've wanted it since it was introduced - been in my wish list ever since. 

Getting back to the forum, I saw your remarks about using it for the shadow effects you wanted and I thought it was a brilliant post. That pushed me to (finally) adding it to my collection! Thanks!

I've been getting a lot of Mely3D's stuff lately, and really like it. 

@Dartanbeck - thanks for the nice comment on my Bryce render of the mammoth.  I wish I was more familiar with Bryce.  Neat program.

If you have the time and inclination, please consider voting for up to 4 images in the current Carrara challenge.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/619116/carrara-challenge-65-turning-points-voting-thread#latest

edited July 2023

I was active in the 2023 Daz+ Summer Sale Event.  Thus far, I have 20 entries.  I tried to enter a variety of subjects, themes, and styles.  Here are a few of the highlights based on reactions in the galleries.  Below I post the top 5 of the 20 entries as measured by gallery 'likes.'  My own preferences don't necessarily align, but that is probably normal.

My entry with the most 'likes' in the gallery thus far was made in honor of June 6th, which is the day the western allies invaded Normandy.  It should have been a beach scene, but air power was crucial for ultimate success.

Next most popular is a fake book cover in the style of the Conan books by Robert Howard.  Pure fun.

And my third most popular entry thus far is a tribute to the Rocky movies, done in the style of old newspape/magazine photo illustrations.

While 4th most popular thus far is a horse and rider scene.  

And rounding out the top 5 in popularity is this tribute to the Pied Piper legend.

edited July 2023

One of my later entries has climbed to the number 2 slot of my personal top 5 based on likes.  The following is a tribute to Gavin Hamilton's painting, Mary Queen of Scots.

Very nice renders, my friend! Kudos!

Thanks!

edited July 2023

And I did a little fan art for one of the bi-weekly Daz+ challenges.  This is getting a lot of 'likes' (for me) in the gallery, so I will include it here.  I presume the relative popularity (for me) is because of the familiarity of the TV reference.  The lighting is a little washed out.  'Little Buddy.'

Bulu Si Bagumba?

Release the prisoners!  Even better than release the kraken.  Haha.

FYI: It's free to watch for Prime members on Amazon

Brash and Moxie must save the day... save the Galaxy!

edited July 2023

Meanwhile, Ralph Fiennes and Juliette Lewis inspire Dartan and Rosie!

(a wonderful movie called Starnge Days - quite the edge of the seat thriller - available on MAX)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Pssst. I've sent you some notes in a PM

edited January 5

It is a New Year so new commitment to skills building.  About 6 weeks ago, I gave myself another subscription to Marvelous Designer, ZBrush, and Substance Painter after letting them lapse.  The programs have had updates since I tried to use them, but I reviewed some of my old tests and found the review very helpful.  I still have a lot of trouble with ZBrush's terminology and interface (eg., tools are models, not functions!). I will be posting some skills building tests in this thread.  If I am persistent and successful, I will offer a half-decent freebie clothing item, complete with various adjustment morphs and material presets, by the end of the month.  For those of you familiar with my Brash and Moxie project, after I do a few freebies as tests, I will create special scifi uniforms and wardrobes for my lead actors.  Brash is an interstellar Marshall, so at a minimum he needs a badge.  I think we can spring for whole futuristic law enforcement uniform with custom badge, don't you?  Moxie is a high muckity muck among the career civil service.  While she does not need a uniform per se, I would like some custom futuristic office wear with logo to set her apart.  The high muckity mucks could have some minimum office requirements like color scheme and sash, but give employee discretion within the standards.  Moxie needs some sophistication.  For the moment, I gather some related links for my skill building, before I try the more complex final goal.

Post on my old Marvelous Designer test for Genesis 1.  Some minor changes to MD interface since I posted this, but still a useful review.
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7729546/#Comment_7729546

Here is a thread by Mada on making clothes for Genesis 9.  Thank you, Mada!
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/597726/genesis-9-clothing-questions/p1

Here is a thread by Bohemian3 on using Marvelous Designer and trtaditional sewing patternmaking concepts for Daz figures, especially Victoria 8 and 9.  Thank you, Bohemian3.
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/601586/daz-md-and-traditional-pattern-making-june-29-update-canterbury/p1

I have also benefited greatly from several tutorials by Digital Art Live.  For some, I bought the recording through Daz3D.  Others I participated live in DAL webinars.  Here are some examples in the Daz3D store.

Here is a DAL course by Esha on rigging clothing in Daz Studio.  https://www.daz3d.com/refined-rigging-clothing-case-studies

Here is a DAL course by Esha on texturing using Substance Painter.  https://www.daz3d.com/texturing-clothing-and-props-expert-guide-tutorial-course

Here is a DAL course by magbhitu on modeling in ZBrush. (Also DAL courses by John Havercamp).  https://www.daz3d.com/zbrush-sculpting-and-texturing-spacecraft-tutorial-set

And here is a Marvelous Designer tutorial by DarkEdgeDesign offered in the Daz3d Store.  This tutorial includes using ZBrush as part of the workflow in morphs for rigging.  https://www.daz3d.com/marvelous-designer-redux-video-tutorial

And here is a Marvelous Designer tutorial by Fugazi offered in the Daz3d store.  This is a vest so avoids some issues with sleeve underarms and skirt legs.  But, it is much more affordable.  https://www.daz3d.com/fg-marvelous-designer-to-daz-studio-video-tutorial